Children and risk of Norovirus

2BACRUISER

I was just wondering how parents square the risk of norovirus when taking small children on cruise ships. Every toddler I know puts everything they touch straight in their mouths. It's bad enough avoiding tummy bugs as adults and it's a nasty Illness to have, i would not like to think I'd risked my childs well being by exposing them to the risk of getting it. It's a huge risk to vulnerable groups like babies, toddlers, those with lowered immunity etc. 

I only ask as my niece is thinking of taking her 4yr old and hes a typical boy always sticky, clarty and getting into mischief but anything going around pre school and he gets it so a bit concerned. 

Thanks in advance. 

It's not like norovirus doesn't exist anywhere BUT cruise ships... we take the same precautions we would anywhere else where there is a high risk of getting sick -- wash hands, drink water, take care of ourselves, pack the basics for treating illness. Worst case scenario, it's not like the ship doesn't have the facilities to treat children if they need IV fluids, zofran, etc. 

• Like 3

It's usually children who get the whole thing started....elementary schools are RIFE with noro!  The kids bring it home, gives it to parents...parents take it to work (before they have symptoms, once symptoms start, you aren't going ANYWHERE!) give it to grandparents, or the shopper who uses the cart after the kids have been in it......

It's a virus, and you will likely get it at some point in your life.  You suffer through it...it's all you can do.

Your kids are more likely to get it at daycare/school than on a ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clo said:

I'd think there at as much or more risk at school (pre-K and up).

I know our toddler/preschool granddaughter has been on two cruises (one at almost a year old; the other at 3 1/2 years old) without getting so much as a sniffle.  She did get norovirus at preschool and passed it on to her parents (not to mention various colds and other ailments)!

Edited by capriccio

We cruised last year with our 4 year old and 7 year old. Will cruise in a month with them as well. I packed plenty of wipes (always had a pack on my person) and made sure they used them before they ate. We also made a game of hitting all the handwashing stations as we passed them. There were lots of those on Carnival. Just tell her to pack plenty of wipes and get the travel packs. My kids didn't get sick and neither did we. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Keep this in mind from the CDC, about 30 million Americans get noro, less than 5000 on cruise ships.

I think people tend to freak over the word "noro" but not over "stomach bug."

• Like 2

It's been said - more of a risk picking up noro or other germs, viruses and bacteria in school, at the library or playground, in a food market shopping cart, etc. etc.

I know, getting the young ones to wash their hands all day long is a pain, but it's what a parent needs to do, whether on a cruise ship or in ordinary places in your home town.

4 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

It's not like norovirus doesn't exist anywhere BUT cruise ships

Exactly.  

I watched a TV show not too long ago where some park rangers were hiking out to assist a hiker who was sick.  When they got to him, and were able to get him to a hospital, it was determined that he had noro.  Out in the woods, on a mountain, all by himself.

It can happen anywhere.

Thank you all for your reassurances. It was we were unable to board our last cruise on time  due to the ship having to be deep cleaned due to illness, an adults only on which they'd been seriously poorly just made me think omg what if there had been little kids on board but u r right they get all sorts at pre school. Cant help been a worrier even if I'm only an aunt 🙂

As others have indicated, the number of cases of Noro on board cruise ships relative to the total number of annual cruisers is extremely low. The cruise ships do a very good job of ship cleanliness, safe food handling, and prevention when it comes to this.  I would follow good cleanliness practices on board and not be overly concerned.

The risk is far greater at schools, day care, shopping malls, restaurants, etc., while at home than away on a cruise ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Assuming the child is healthy, that four year old is going to have a screaming good immune system because they are not a germophobe.

Lick those railings sony, it will keep you healthy on the cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Exactly.  

I watched a TV show not too long ago where some park rangers were hiking out to assist a hiker who was sick.  When they got to him, and were able to get him to a hospital, it was determined that he had noro.  Out in the woods, on a mountain, all by himself.

It can happen anywhere.

Sounds like he forgot to pack the hand sanitizer!   LOL

• Haha 1

1. Most Norovirus Outbreaks Happen on Land

According to the United States' Centers for Disease Control, only 1 percent of reported norovirus cases actually occurred on cruise ships, with the majority of outbreaks happening on land in healthcare settings like hospitals and nursing homes. Schools, daycares and restaurants are also common places for land-based outbreaks.

Cruise ships are required by law to report gastrointestinal outbreaks when they affect more than 2 percent of total passengers and crew aboard any sailing. Conversely, land-based establishments where noro is common are not required to report it, meaning that even though cruise ship outbreaks are less common, they're more frequently reported to the CDC and subsequently covered by media outlets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most Norovirus Outbreaks Happen on Land because most people are on land. 1% of the noro cases are on cruise ships, but a whole lot less than 1% of the population is on cruise ships. Looks like you increase the odds of contracting noro by cruising.

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Most Norovirus Outbreaks Happen on Land because most people are on land. 1% of the noro cases are on cruise ships, but a whole lot less than 1% of the population is on cruise ships. Looks like you increase the odds of contracting noro by cruising.

Excellent point.

1 hour ago, whogo said:

I think the odds are increased in any closed-in environment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

1. Most Norovirus Outbreaks Happen on Land

According to the United States' Centers for Disease Control, only 1 percent of reported norovirus cases actually occurred on cruise ships, with the majority of outbreaks happening on land in healthcare settings like hospitals and nursing homes. Schools, daycares and restaurants are also common places for land-based outbreaks.

Cruise ships are required by law to report gastrointestinal outbreaks when they affect more than 2 percent of total passengers and crew aboard any sailing. Conversely, land-based establishments where noro is common are not required to report it, meaning that even though cruise ship outbreaks are less common, they're more frequently reported to the CDC and subsequently covered by media outlets.

10 hours ago, whogo said:

If you read the quoted post above yours carefully, it also says that cruise lines are REQUIRED to report any outbreak of more than 2% of passengers, while land-based establishments do not have the same requirements. I'm guessing you don't increase your odds by cruising. You're just more likely to be aware of it/to be reported.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

The one vacation where we had a Norovirus outbreak was a land trip through Spain with friends of ours. She wasn't feeling well, but she's got a touchy stomach anyway so we figured it was that... then we all got sick, one after the other after the other. Including my then 5 year old. While he had a miserable time of it (he as most acutely sick on a day when we absolutely HAD to travel; there was an soccer championship in the city we were in, and no hotels to be had for love or money, so we had to drive to our next destination, four hours away, with a wretchedly-sick kiddo in a rental car...) he actually bounced back MUCH faster than any of the four adults on the trip, who felt dodgy for about a week.