Do you ever get tired of Xs customers ''been there done that ''culture

dolittle

Have our 5th Celeb (our first was NCL been Celeb since) coming up in 10 days so relative newcomers and very excited. We love everything about it been on 4 different ships all different itineraries. We love speaking to experienced cruisers and hearing their tales. 

We've experienced the “it’s not as good now brigade” and laugh cos it feels pretty good to us! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Others have told us about their TA calling and offering them a free upgrade and it only cost them $ XXX extra pp.

Funny,  this just came up yesterday at our table. People will swear up and down that it is free. You just can't convince them. 

These are seasoned cruisers, too.

LOL

13 hours ago, dolittle said:

Just got off the eq last week and every one (and I mean every one ) is on their eight eq cruise or one very nice couple who told me about their cruise to Patagnoina . I know many people on all lines have done many but it seems that X is the king of the been there done it crowd. I am one of them but I must say it get a little old .Iwould love to meet some one who is new and high with enthusiasm for cruising and X.

dolittle- We have truly enjoyed every cruise we have ever taken.  Although we have definitely run into similar folks that you describe, in our experience it is more like a handful vs a crowd.  There are more Been There, Done That folks here on cruise critic than on any ship I have ever sailed on.  

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, miched said:

We do the opposite   We always act as if we never cruised on X before and like to listen to others giving us their ‘“tips” and experiences.  Many times afterwards we will laugh about how full of BS they are and do they really know what they are talking about.  

One lady old us that she found out that being in AQ she could get the first night for free in a specialty restaurant and never knew that before.   She found out when someone asked her where she was dining when she boarded.  She told them that she would be in Blu as she is in AQ.  They told her that it would be foolish to go there when she could dine in a specialty restaurant for free since she was in AQ.  She then said it only cost them $50 to do that.

Others have told us about  their TA calling and offering them a free upgrade and it only cost them $ XXX  extra pp. 

if you attend the shopping seminars you get a coupon for a free charm bracelet, and a gem stone.  Plus a discount if you mention their name.  

Don’t purchase anything on board until the last day because they reduce everything and also have special tables set up with stuff that is really cheap and almost giving it away. 

Don’t you love it? 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I call women like that Miss information .

• Like 1

You always run into the moan and complainers or those who seem mad at the world....we just avoid engaging them in conversation and they quickly go away to find their next victim. Once the conversation starts with "well this is my 1,528th Celebrity cruise, but THIS ONE....." I'm usually done 🤨

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

We are really looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in November. The numerous complaints about the updates really gets old and its usually the same people over and over again, some who have cruised with Celebrity several times.

On Royal we avoid the suite and Diamond lounges due to the constant complainers as well as the one uppers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Enjoy your cruise PhoenixCruiser!  Celebrity is a great cruise line and I really enjoy their ships.  More than that, I think you'll LOVE the friendly staff and crew.  Just remember to be kind to the staff.  They work so hard to make your vacation as wonderful as possible.  Be sure to fill out the corporate comment card and note the names of outstanding employees who made your cruise great.  Don't let the complainers who can't seem to find something wonderful in anything bring you down.  You'll see them on these message boards (the SAME people) all the time complaining about how they hate all the new design choices.   No cruise ship, hotel, restaurant or any other mass market product can meet the needs (or decorating tastes) of every single person.  No everything won't be perfect, but I think Celebrity works harder to provide a better vacation than some cruise lines.  So enjoy your cruise for me!  I'm like a gleeful, giggly kid at Christmas every time I'm blessed just to be ON the ship.  I'm looking forward to my next Celebrity cruise in 2020!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I just get sick of people who have cruised a lot griping about going to Nassau when new cruisers ask about it.

I get sick of people who gripe about people that give responses that don’t jive with those of yours. If all you are looking for Pollyanna responses put that in your original post. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I get sick of people who gripe about people that give responses that don’t jive with those of yours. If all you are looking for Pollyanna responses put that in your original post. 

Yeah, you are right. When someone says, "We are stopping in Nassau. Where is a good place to go?" the most helpful response is "We don't get off the ship anymore." or "We hate Nassau."

Some people are helpful and suggest places to go, and places not to go. Others offer jaded replies and cynicism.  Pretty easy to guess which camp you are in if you think I was calling for Pollyanna-ish posts.

• Like 1

Got on Celebrity EDGE on the 19th - our 16th cruise we've worked out - but I was in tears because I was as excited as a small child seeing Santa at Christmas for the first time. Hubby still laughs as me. The day we get on with a 'been there, done that before' attitude is the day we find something else ……...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dolittle said:

Just got off the eq last week and every one (and I mean every one ) is on their eight eq cruise or one very nice couple who told me about their cruise to Patagnoina . I know many people on all lines have done many but it seems that X is the king of the been there done it crowd. I am one of them but I must say it get a little old .Iwould love to meet some one who is new and high with enthusiasm for cruising and X.

So you've cruised every cruise line and know that. 🙄 Sounds like a WAG to me. 

13 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

As Elite Plus, half way to Zenith, we have "been there and done that", but every cruise is exciting and fun or we wouldn't keep on cruising.  However if asked if we have cruised before, we just say a couple of cruises. I know (from often reading it here at CC) that some people are very sensitive about frequent cruisers. I'm not sure why they feel that way; other people spend their money other ways. It is just a choice, but somehow frequent cruisers seem to get a bad rap for snobbery or something. So we try to be careful. 

So do we, for the same reason!  My list of previous sailings on here is a useful list for ME and I was totally surprised some time ago when I read that some consider it’s a form of boasting.  It was complete news to me because I’m only impressed by ‘true’ travellers (by my definition) who go to interesting places, making all arrangements for themselves, etc and am immune to the ‘been everywhere, seen everything’ claims if what is under discussion is what can be done within the day from a cruise ship port. I’m still polite and show interest though 😉.

• Thanks 1

We have also cruised quite a bit and our experience is not limited to one cruise line. And we don’t just cruise the Caribbean. In fact we avoid it and cruise everywhere around the globe. So some might consider us „been there“ cruisers. In addition to that we have traveled extensively on land trips and organize it all ourselves and arrange small group tours. We cruise and travel for the love of travel, to see different places and to experience different cultures - to broaden our own horizons. We couldn’t care less about points.

Although we inevitably reached E+ we avoid the happy hours and cc meetings - for similar reasons mentioned by the OP. We can’t stand the feeling of entitlement displayed by many and don’t like the conversations which either start with questions about the level or number of cruises... but we are always happy to talk to people who still have a passion for travel without chasing a bucket list. 

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been cruising since 1995 and have well over 20 cruises with X.  I don’t know what EQ, RF or SL is. Nor do I have any idea what (or who) LLP is. I certainly have no clue who Capt Kathy is. Never knew the name of the Capt Club Hostess (frankly never laid eyes on one but I read about it here a lot). Nor wouldn’t know a Cruise Director if I saw one. So I guess I wouldn’t be the one to tell anything that you’ve done cause I probably would be less than impressed. All I know, is that I enjoy cruising but also take a lot of land based trips. I do enjoy picking up a few tips now and then from this site. 

• Like 4

We  always learn quite a bit from those we meet  who have been there and done that...that' also a great  benefit of Cruise Critic membership.  Learn lots of good tips and interesting info

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, hcat said:

We  always learn quite a bit from those we meet  who have been there and done that...that' also a great  benefit of Cruise Critic membership.  Learn lots of good tips and interesting info

Agree...

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Yeah, you are right. When someone says, "We are stopping in Nassau. Where is a good place to go?" the most helpful response is "We don't get off the ship anymore." or "We hate Nassau."

Some people are helpful and suggest places to go, and places not to go. Others offer jaded replies and cynicism.  Pretty easy to guess which camp you are in if you think I was calling for Pollyanna-ish posts.

Just to make sure of what camp I’m in, this should make it easy.

“We are in Nassau Friday and the only way you’ll get me off the ship is with a Glock held to my head”.

• Haha 1

@grandgeezer See, I understand and respect that because ot is your opinion and you have probably invested a lot to earn it. It is only if you threw that out into a conversation among people who are going there that would seem out of place. 

If someone asks, 'Should I go to Nassau?", fire away!

On 8/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, marshacruises said:

I agree with Gut2407.  Been there, done that, loved it all and want to do it all again.  If someone starts  complaining about some cruise or other, I just smile and think about the fact that they are on the X line again, so it could not have been that bad.  Some people do seem to be happiest when they are complaining.  Not me...it is all good, no matter where I am or who I am with...

Yep and I don’t cruise with just one line, I ship around, currently booked with Princess, Carnival, RCCL and have hold on Cunard and Celebrity and I am excited about each of them

My experience from speaking to fellow passengers from US, whilst on cruises in the Caribbean, is that they may know all there is to cruising but they have never been further than the Caribbean!! They book the same itineraries year after year and are too scared to venture further afield  to Europe or Asia! We love cruising and the Caribbean but have also cruised in Asia and New Zealand and usually combine a cruise with a couple of land holidays per year.  Our aim is to see as much of the world as possible whilst we are still fit and able and then stick to short haul flights to Europe when we feel we can no longer cope with long haul. Off to Western Australia for a month in November and have a cruise booked round Vietnam in January. Expand your horizons you won’t regret it.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

My experience from speaking to fellow passengers from US, whilst on cruises in the Caribbean, is that they may know all there is to cruising but they have never been further than the Caribbean!! 

There is the U.K. equivalent of guests who ‘only cruise from Southampton....’ 

I do think many of the guests who ‘only cruise in the Caribbean’ are often older and have come to cruising later in life (after retirement) and longer haul is already beyond their stamina and budget. We have met many well traveled US citizens in the Caribbean.

We are just at the stage now where (after years of adventurous land and sea travel) the ‘travel’ part is becoming an issue. We can manage long haul if we book business (massive add on to the cost of the holiday) and still enjoy some excursions (if we book wisely) but our cruises are becoming more about the ship. We do still enjoy European cruises but are thrilled we did visit most places on our hit list when we were still young. Valletta, Santorini, Pompeii, Athens....fantastic but not if you leave visiting them until you are older. When we revisit now we will enjoy the ambience of a drink in a local cafe or a circular coach/taxi tour but we cannot do the intense itineraries we did when we were younger.

If we lived a short flight away from the Caribbean we might become ‘Caribbean only’ cruisers now. When you are young it is often ‘all about the itinerary’ as you get older (or less mobile) it does become more about the ship....

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 8:38 PM, dolittle said:

I am am one of them ,would not bore a new person with it however .

Agree, Nassau was a port that we could have stayed on the ship.  

We still prefer to cruise on Celebrity, but with their price inflation and focus on drink packages that we don't want, we have been trending to doing land trips.   Also, we are finding Royal Caribbean a great option.   Royal has better entertainment and the dining is close enough to Celebrity to enjoy.

I love to cruise and love to travel.  I am one of those people who always asks,  "where have you been?  What did you did?  What did you like?  What tips do you have?" I don't care if you did an around the world cruise or a driving trip to Lake Erie, I want to know everything I can about it.  Maybe I'm silly, but I'm also always looking for ideas. I wish i had the time to be E+.  Not yet, but I'm working on it.  

Ohiodoglover

• Like 4