Do you ever get tired of Xs customers ''been there done that ''culture

dolittle

Just got off the eq last week and every one (and I mean every one ) is on their eight eq cruise or one very nice couple who told me about their cruise to Patagnoina . I know many people on all lines have done many but it seems that X is the king of the been there done it crowd. I am one of them but I must say it get a little old .Iwould love to meet some one who is new and high with enthusiasm for cruising and X.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are fairly new to X and very enthusiastic. We are Pinnacle on RCI and probably will never cruise them again after experiencing 5 cruises in two years on X.  Wish we had spent all those cruises for years on X so we would be Zenith now! On EQ in 3 weeks(stay away hurricanes) on SL in 3 months and RF in 5 months. Have talked with many interesting people on our X cruises and usually with folks who have not cruised that much, tho' we have met Zeniths as well. I do think the prices are very high, but we are willing to pay for the product so far. Our first X suite in 3 weeks!

• Haha 1

We've been there and done that with

"X " but continue to enjoy meeting experienced and newer cruisers.  Love the diverse and well travelled clientele  X   attracts...and the opportunities to interact and socialize.

39 August..enjoy your suite. We have our first coming up in 2020!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I just get sick of people who have cruised a lot griping about going to Nassau when new cruisers ask about it.

I am am one of them ,would not bore a new person with it however .

We do the opposite   We always act as if we never cruised on X before and like to listen to others giving us their ‘“tips” and experiences.  Many times afterwards we will laugh about how full of BS they are and do they really know what they are talking about.  

One lady old us that she found out that being in AQ she could get the first night for free in a specialty restaurant and never knew that before.   She found out when someone asked her where she was dining when she boarded.  She told them that she would be in Blu as she is in AQ.  They told her that it would be foolish to go there when she could dine in a specialty restaurant for free since she was in AQ.  She then said it only cost them $50 to do that.

Others have told us about  their TA calling and offering them a free upgrade and it only cost them $ XXX  extra pp. 

if you attend the shopping seminars you get a coupon for a free charm bracelet, and a gem stone.  Plus a discount if you mention their name.  

Don’t purchase anything on board until the last day because they reduce everything and also have special tables set up with stuff that is really cheap and almost giving it away. 

Don’t you love it? 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Gut2407.  Been there, done that, loved it all and want to do it all again.  If someone starts  complaining about some cruise or other, I just smile and think about the fact that they are on the X line again, so it could not have been that bad.  Some people do seem to be happiest when they are complaining.  Not me...it is all good, no matter where I am or who I am with...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

Just got off the eq last week and every one (and I mean every one ) is on their eight eq cruise or one very nice couple who told me about their cruise to Patagnoina . I know many people on all lines have done many but it seems that X is the king of the been there done it crowd. I am one of them but I must say it get a little old .Iwould love to meet some one who is new and high with enthusiasm for cruising and X.

You should have met us in 1991. 😜 Excited about our 8 September 2019 Summit cruise. For us every cruise is new and exciting. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

Just got my luggage tags today.  Yep, I'm excited.  When people ask us how many cruises we have been on, we say "A few, but not as many as some who are on this sailing".  I love to listen to people who are on their first or second cruise.  Their enthusiasm is infectious.  Sure beats complaining.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

In my experience the higher up the food chain, the more often you will come across people who travel a lot. Budget lines equal more new cruisers per passenger. Same with higher end resorts.

Sorry if we offend people by talking about our past travels.  We are fortunate to be able to travel a lot.  We have been to 140+ countries and understand that travel is one of the best educators there is.  Our cruises are solely destination travels.  We considerate ourselves very lucky to have the opportunity to experience so many cultures.  We do not flaunt this, but we do encourage others, especially young travelers, to sacrifice in other areas so they can travel as much as possible.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As Elite Plus, half way to Zenith, we have "been there and done that", but every cruise is exciting and fun or we wouldn't keep on cruising.  However if asked if we have cruised before, we just say a couple of cruises. I know (from often reading it here at CC) that some people are very sensitive about frequent cruisers. I'm not sure why they feel that way; other people spend their money other ways. It is just a choice, but somehow frequent cruisers seem to get a bad rap for snobbery or something. So we try to be careful. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can't say that I've ever been on a cruise, Celebrity or otherwise, where I haven't met new cruisers. Or occasional cruisers. Or frequent BTDT cruisers. Celebrity is no different than others in that regard. There is always a mix of cruise experience.

We don't flaunt the number of cruises we've been on or brag about the number of countries we've visited. We don't volunteer our loyalty status or tell others how to conduct their vacations. But we do enjoy  free and easy discussions of travel destinations and sharing stories of past experiences when asked. One of the pleasures of conversations with our fellow cruisers is the chance to discuss travel with others who share that interest. Sometimes you even learn something from those BTDTers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We experienced our first cruise in 1992 on RCCL, on our honeymoon. At our table, we met 6 others cruisers, some of which spent time complaining or comparing cruises and ships. We were astonished to hear some of the comments or complaints. We were still in awe about everything we were experiencing. We could not understand why or how people could complain about a cruise...

We had to wait 18 years prior to experience our second cruise.... And in 2020, we will, if things work as planned, be only on our 8th cruise, 4th, on X. So we can’t say that we are experience cruisers.

Everything is not absolutely perfect on a cruise, and there is always an angle open for complaints or critics. At times, I even had to mention some less positive experiences to the responsible managers, for example on X, when two days in a row, room service was delivered to our room for breakfast, without ustensiles. ( First world minor issue, I know). 

This said, in general, life on a cruise ship is absolutely fabulous, and we love every minute we get to spend on one. And most of our favorite moments have involved getting to know more about people, by chatting with staff and fellow passengers. This is providing us a unique international perspective, sometimes challenging our beliefs or opinions, but always enriching our experiences in so many ways. 

I love to share/discuss experiences with fellow passengers and learn from them. I sure hope, I don’t annoy them due to my limited exposure to cruising.

In my opinion, cruising is a beautiful way to travel. We really begin to look forward to our next cruise... when we begin the disembarking process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We only get to cruise once a year and feel very lucky to do that. The cruise veterans were excited for us to be on our first cruises. Several experienced cruisers gave us tips and pointed out things we might not have noticed. Others shared stories about their travels. We enjoyed their company and still enjoy hearing about others' trips, pets, kids, grandkids. It's nice to be included.

What we don't enjoy is hearing people announce they are Elite + and therefore are entitled to some imaginary privilege or other. I'm not referring to loyalty rewards. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think a big problem is when you run into people who have cruised for a long time on a particular line like Celebrity and always moan and gripe about the "good ole' days".  All you hear is how much better X was in the past and how things have changed for the worse.  They claim to be "happy cruisers", yet can't seem to find any pleasure or benefits in today's cruise ships.  That attitude is such a turn off.  Yes things change, but that doesn't mean that you still can't have fun and enjoy a cruise vacation.  I'm excited about each cruise and I enjoy talking to others who feel the same!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

We are really looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in November. The numerous complaints about the updates really gets old and its usually the same people over and over again, some who have cruised with Celebrity several times.

On Royal we avoid the suite and Diamond lounges due to the constant complainers as well as the one uppers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We cruise again in three weeks and I cannot wait! I am sooooo excited! Yes, been on Equinox before, have visited the ports of call before but who cares! Every cruise is a wonderful blessing. The day the feeling of ‘new adventure’ wears off I will stop cruising!

We really enjoy chatting with fellow guests about everything from home countries, families, past travels....I do think past travel and cruise experience is almost inevitably a conversation opener...The bores are those who like one way traffic, who have no interest in anecdotes from others, just in reciting their own...

Occasionally we have encountered an odd Mr or Mrs Grumpy but the ship is usually big enough to avoid them after a first dose of conversation!

Worst conversation encounters include...

A couple on a cruise from Southampton who constantly complained X wasn’t as good as Cunard...A man at a chef’s table who contradicted the Sommelier and tried to lecture us all on his business prowess and a man who tried to sell us insurance! We tend to find these sorts of encounters amusing rather than annoying! 

We haven’t particularly found the X travelers to be as ‘been, seen, done it’ as on RC. One memorable encounter with an elderly RC cruiser on an Oasis Caribbean cruise was being  told ‘You shouldn’t be in here’ (Diamond Lounge). When I politely asked why not she said ‘Because you come from England so can’t possibly have reached Diamond level’...Again very amusing...

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We haven’t particularly found the X travelers to be as ‘been, seen, done it’ as on RC. One memorable encounter with an elderly RC cruiser on an Oasis Caribbean cruise was being  told ‘You shouldn’t be in here’ (Diamond Lounge). When I politely asked why not she said ‘Because you come from England so can’t possibly have reached Diamond level’...Again very amusing...

We find many ‘seasoned’ cruisers have never been further than the Caribbean 😉.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. We still have placeholders for Royal, X and Princess and presently can’t find an exciting itinerary for us all within our timeframes, now Connie has been redeployed to Tampa 🙈.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villauk said:

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. We still have placeholders for Royal, X and Princess and presently can’t find an exciting itinerary for us all within our timeframes, now Connie has been redeployed to Tampa 🙈.

‘Timeframes’ were a real problem all my working life! So hard to have to put in dates first then see what is available....We still feel the real luxury of being able to pick and choose.

Hope you find something to suit...

10 hours ago, dolittle said:

Switch to a cruise line that caters more to first time cruisers or simply ignore the "been there, done that" crowd. If they insist on talking about themselves too much early in the conversation, you know the type, change the subject or excuse yourself from it. Of, course they might consider that you are being rude -  you are walking out on their performance 😉, but why should you care what they think, you will never see them again. 

Life, and cruising are so much more pleasant when you ignore the idiots and incorporate the interesting. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

10 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Just got my luggage tags today.  Yep, I'm excited.

Same here about that excitement when the luggage tags come. And my wife can tell you that I’m like a little kid when we walk up the gangway for embarkation. None of it gets old. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We’re not new cruisers, but I’m always enthusiastic about pretty much everything I do except housework and grocery shopping (although I can get enthusiastic about food 😁).  

I am excited for our first Celebrity cruise coming up this spring. It has a lot of firsts - which is unusual because most times I’m either cruising the same line, ship or ports. 

This is, as I mentioned, our first Celebrity cruise, first time on Equinox, first time in a suite. This will be our first time sailing from Fort Lauderdale and every port on this cruise is one we have never been to before.  

So we have the adventure of first time cruisers, even though it will be my 17th cruise (my husband has fewer because it took me awhile to convince him that cruising was a good thing 😁).  And I’m excited!

• Like 4