Do you ever get tired of Xs customers ''been there done that ''culture

dolittle

10 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

My experience from speaking to fellow passengers from US, whilst on cruises in the Caribbean, is that they may know all there is to cruising but they have never been further than the Caribbean!! They book the same itineraries year after year and are too scared to venture further afield  to Europe or Asia! We love cruising and the Caribbean but have also cruised in Asia and New Zealand and usually combine a cruise with a couple of land holidays per year.  Our aim is to see as much of the world as possible whilst we are still fit and able and then stick to short haul flights to Europe when we feel we can no longer cope with long haul. Off to Western Australia for a month in November and have a cruise booked round Vietnam in January. Expand your horizons you won’t regret it.  

Sorry that  on your Carib cruises  you've  only met the folks who prefer the  sail the Carib. (nice and warm in the winter!)   Most X cruisers we meet  on varied itins  have seen  much of the world  onboard  ships and by land;  and are very well travelled! Love to hear about their adventures. Can't judge by just  people you meet on Carib itin cruisers.

We have enjoyed  Hawaii, Mexico( both coasts),   Canada( both coasts)  E and W Medit  cruises,  Panama,  California and US East Coast,  New England, Bermuda, etc .. mostly  with X .  Longer flights to Asia, Australia and New Zealand are too much for us..and some places we really have no interest in seeing for personal or other reasons!

Glad we are fortunate to have choices and resources to implement then!

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 8:17 PM, mayleeman said:

I just get sick of people who have cruised a lot griping about going to Nassau when new cruisers ask about it.

I mention going to Cable Beach when "experienced" cruisers say they have done it all in Nassau and then complain about the port. 

I'm usually asked where is that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sorry that  on your Carib cruises  you've  only met the folks who prefer the  sail the Carib. (nice and warm in the winter!)   Most X cruisers we meet  on varied itins  have seen  much of the world  onboard  ships and by land;  and are very well travelled! Love to hear about their adventures. Can't judge by just  people you meet on Carib itin cruisers.

We have enjoyed  Hawaii, Mexico( both coasts),   Canada( both coasts)  E and W Medit  cruises,  Panama,  California and US East Coast,  New England, Bermuda, etc .. mostly  with X .  Longer flights to Asia, Australia and New Zealand are too much for us..and some places we really have no interest in seeing for personal or other reasons!

Glad we are fortunate to have choices and resources to implement then!

Almost along the same line of reasoning, we often ask cruisers who have been "everywhere" and "done it all" if they have ever stayed in or near a foreign port for longer visits than the short 8 or 10 hours a cruise limits you to.

We did a 7 week land vacation through eastern Australia, NZ and the Cook Islands, and saw far, far more than one would on a cruise, yet we felt we hardly scratched the surface of these wonderful countries.

• Like 1

Cruises are at best a sampler of ports. Adding  pre and post cruise stays enhances the sampling but still not immersive. For those with limited time and resources, it is  a great way to see highlights of a place.

Some ports are worth a trip back; sometimes just one day at a place is enough for us;  and sometimes more than enough!!

Happy Travels to All!

• Like 1

We have NEVER had someone ask our Cap Club Status and NEVER even asked which level of cabin etc. or had people bore us with their knowledge/advice

Have met lovely people who cruise many times a year/travel extensively and have met many other lovely people who are working full time and travel rarely due to work and family demands.

Find it hilarious that people have to tell their upper level of Cap Club and how many sailings they have done on this thread. Oh the irony🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

We have NEVER had someone ask our Cap Club Status and NEVER even asked which level of cabin etc. or had people bore us with their knowledge/advice

Have met lovely people who cruise many times a year/travel extensively and have met many other lovely people who are working full time and travel rarely due to work and family demands.

Find it hilarious that people have to tell their upper level of Cap Club and how many sailings they have done on this thread. Oh the irony🙄

I did not miss the irony, It proves true what I was saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

We did a 7 week land vacation through eastern Australia, NZ and the Cook Islands, and saw far, far more than one would on a cruise, yet we felt we hardly scratched the surface of these wonderful countries.

When I win the lottery, I will do the same. 😏

I’m not sure how many cruise lines the OP has experienced, but the “been there, done that crowd” are on every cruise line from Costa to Crystal, NCL to Silversea, RCI to Seabourn and all other lines in between.  This is not a phenomenon exclusive to Celebrity. Heck, some of the highest contributors are on the luxury lines.  

I see see nothing wrong for a person to talk about their cruise experience when asked, and I guess I just don’t understand the OP’s complaint. Personally, I love hearing about other’s cruise experiences and their fun travel stories.  I’ve heard some really interesting things that would make a great book on cruising.

For us, after taking so many cruises (Sorry OP, I’m going to talk about my cruises and the been there, done that) literally all around the world, the ship is our destination, and not so much the ports.  That’s why the ship is the most important aspect of our cruises.  

• Like 2

@kitty9 I think the OP is reflecting on something I posted about a couple months ago, but I described it as jaded. We both describe wanting to meet people still excited about cruising.

The response to the OP's post, just like the replies to mine, show that there are zillions of happy and excited veteran cruisers. I definitely did meet a number of them in addition to some seemingly bored ones, and the comments here have renewed my determination to find the joy in everyone we meet. I, BTW, love hearing about people's cruises--but recitations of numbers of cruises taken don't convey much interesting info.

Edited by mayleeman

On 8/31/2019 at 11:13 AM, mrsgoggins said:

So do we, for the same reason!  My list of previous sailings on here is a useful list for ME and I was totally surprised some time ago when I read that some consider it’s a form of boasting.  It was complete news to me because I’m only impressed by ‘true’ travellers (by my definition) who go to interesting places, making all arrangements for themselves, etc and am immune to the ‘been everywhere, seen everything’ claims if what is under discussion is what can be done within the day from a cruise ship port. I’m still polite and show interest though 😉.

Perhaps those that think you're boasting might have a bit of jealousy going on there. 

When we were on the Edge in January, our first Celebrity experience, we overheard a gentlemen at the table next to us tell his traveling companions to not to judge Celebrity by the Edge. 

Both my wife and I had the same thought to comment that we hope all Celebrity ships are like the Edge, we held back. Really got us to thinking about whether we want to try the other ships in the fleet. Current booked cruise are Adventure of the seas in 2020 and  back to Celebrity and the Apex in 2021. Then we may look for a last minute deal to try one of the other ships to see if we like it. 

16 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

When we were on the Edge in January, our first Celebrity experience, we overheard a gentlemen at the table next to us tell his traveling companions to not to judge Celebrity by the Edge. 

Both my wife and I had the same thought to comment that we hope all Celebrity ships are like the Edge, we held back. Really got us to thinking about whether we want to try the other ships in the fleet. Current booked cruise are Adventure of the seas in 2020 and  back to Celebrity and the Apex in 2021. Then we may look for a last minute deal to try one of the other ships to see if we like it. 

We would never book a ship or itinerary based on someones opinion. Positive or negative. 

• Like 1

We've taken many cruises, most of them long (as in, 3 weeks or more), on four different cruise lines.  We try not to fall in the "been there, done that" camp but we do get excited & love to talk about our cruises when the conversation goes in that direction.  We are very experienced cruisers, we love to share our stories & tips and hear others' stories & tips

We hate hearing people say they've been to Port Whatever so many times they want the cruise line to change the itinerary.  We can always find something new to do in a port, no matter how often we've been there, and we have developed certain traditions for different ports.  And there are always people on the ship who have never been there and are looking forward to their first time.  There have been changes on all of the lines over the years we've been cruising, we don't like all of them, but we don't lose sleep over any of them.  Life is too short!

Most of our longer cruises have been on Holland America.  We just took our first (and probably only, but never say never) World Cruise this year.  Most of the people on that cruise were repeat world cruisers.  3 times, 5 times, 10 times, 15 (not kidding) times.  The sense of entitlement that most of those folks had was incredible.  "MY seat in the theater, MY table for trivia, MY bartender, MY place in line, MY this, MY that, MY MY MY MY MY"   We did meet some wonderful folks and overall had a wonderful time, but listening to all of the MYs every day was a major bummer. 

It's almost as bad on their shorter cruises.  Much worse on HAL than X or Royal.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Chew said:

We've taken many cruises, most of them long (as in, 3 weeks or more), on four different cruise lines.  We try not to fall in the "been there, done that" camp but we do get excited & love to talk about our cruises when the conversation goes in that direction.  We are very experienced cruisers, we love to share our stories & tips and hear others' stories & tips

We hate hearing people say they've been to Port Whatever so many times they want the cruise line to change the itinerary.  We can always find something new to do in a port, no matter how often we've been there, and we have developed certain traditions for different ports.  And there are always people on the ship who have never been there and are looking forward to their first time.  There have been changes on all of the lines over the years we've been cruising, we don't like all of them, but we don't lose sleep over any of them.  Life is too short!

Most of our longer cruises have been on Holland America.  We just took our first (and probably only, but never say never) World Cruise this year.  Most of the people on that cruise were repeat world cruisers.  3 times, 5 times, 10 times, 15 (not kidding) times.  The sense of entitlement that most of those folks had was incredible.  "MY seat in the theater, MY table for trivia, MY bartender, MY place in line, MY this, MY that, MY MY MY MY MY"   We did meet some wonderful folks and overall had a wonderful time, but listening to all of the MYs every day was a major bummer. 

It's almost as bad on their shorter cruises.  Much worse on HAL than X or Royal.  

I agree!  You hear people on these posts talk about the new Kelly Hoppen (I hope that's her name) design choices as if she was designing a room in THEIR home.  Some of these people forget that they don't own a single X ship (and can't afford a private yacht!).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

We would never book a ship or itinerary based on someones opinion. Positive or negative. 

Agreed, we do our best to use boards like this to figure out if a line or ship is for us. Celebrity is definitely a different feel for us. Not sure how to explain our style, as we don’t like to drink much or do things like the silent disco. We do enjoy the shows, live music, and some of the activities the ships do during the day. 

Disney, RCCL, and the Edge kept us busy and interested in different ways. Other Celebrity ships, not sure yet.  

On 8/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, marshacruises said:

I agree with Gut2407.  Been there, done that, loved it all and want to do it all again.  If someone starts  complaining about some cruise or other, I just smile and think about the fact that they are on the X line again, so it could not have been that bad.  Some people do seem to be happiest when they are complaining.  Not me...it is all good, no matter where I am or who I am with...

Puts me in mind of people who claim to have dumped X and yet still hang out on this forum for some reason.!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Redking said:

Puts me in mind of people who claim to have dumped X and yet still hang out on this forum for some reason.!

Nothing so strange as folks!

A couple we met on a Southampton Celebrity  cruise who constantly complained it ‘wasn’t as good as Cunard’ booked another Celebrity cruise whilst still on board!?!?

• Haha 2

On 9/1/2019 at 1:20 AM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

My experience from speaking to fellow passengers from US, whilst on cruises in the Caribbean, is that they may know all there is to cruising but they have never been further than the Caribbean!! They book the same itineraries year after year and are too scared to venture further afield  to Europe or Asia! We love cruising and the Caribbean but have also cruised in Asia and New Zealand and usually combine a cruise with a couple of land holidays per year.  Our aim is to see as much of the world as possible whilst we are still fit and able and then stick to short haul flights to Europe when we feel we can no longer cope with long haul. Off to Western Australia for a month in November and have a cruise booked round Vietnam in January. Expand your horizons you won’t regret it.  

Edinburghgirl1, you are commenting on your personal experience but it is quite a narrow generalization to characterize cruisers from the US the way you describe.  You will see from cruise critic posts that many of us from the US in fact cruise all over the world.  There are people from the US and elsewhere including Scotland that cannot afford (money or time) to travel the way you do.  Please enjoy your trips expanding your horizons.  Many people would love to do so but cannot.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:20 AM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

We have done both the Caribbean and Hawaii, not sure if we will ever do Europe. My wife has a thing about flying over water so we will see if it ever happens. I have a personal thing against Alaska so not sure if we will do that run ever. Will do either a full or partial Panama Canal cruise and the Galapagos is on our must do and she will do the flight for that trip. 

There are still a lot of islands we haven’t seen in the Caribbean, mostly thanks to Disney not having a lot of options in that area when we cruised their line. 

Edited by cgolf1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

We have done both the Caribbean and Hawaii, not sure if we will ever do Europe. My wife has a thing about flying over water so we will see if it ever happens. I have a personal thing against Alaska so not sure if we will do that run ever. Will do either a full or partial Panama Canal cruise and the Galapagos is on our must do and she will do the flight for that trip. 

There are still a lot of islands we haven’t seen in the Caribbean, mostly thanks to Disney not having a lot of options in that area when we cruised their line. 

It’s personal preference as we’d do Alaska again and again instead of visiting the Caribbean (but we’re not beach pax). Same as Hawaii, we preferred to do that by flying between the islands than cruising over from the mainland. As Chemmo pointed out above, it’s probably an age thing too. As one gets older, then long-haul travel may not be so easy. As the saying goes, ‘Do it while you can as you no one knows what’s around the corner’.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, meechee341 said:

I agree!  You hear people on these posts talk about the new Kelly Hoppen (I hope that's her name) design choices as if she was designing a room in THEIR home.  Some of these people forget that they don't own a single X ship (and can't afford a private yacht!).

Sometimes people talk about things to make things better for everyone. Your post is the perfect example. In all the years Cruise Critic has been in existence, there has never been much comment about ship design until Kelly Hoppen came along. There’s good reason for that as evidenced by the many “after inaugural” changes instituted on a brand new ship. Defending a product blindly isn’t really a good thing either and constructive criticism from people who love the product in general can be helpful.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

Guess I am not experienced enough, having taken only 3 Celebrity Cruises but -is it true that if you are in AQ you dine free in a specialty restaurant the first night? 

No, not true.