Do you ever get tired of Xs customers ''been there done that ''culture

dolittle

28 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

Guess I am not experienced enough, having taken only 3 Celebrity Cruises but -is it true that if you are in AQ you dine free in a specialty restaurant the first night? 

They usually offer a 2for1 to avoid any chaos in Blu on the first night.  🍷

1 hour ago, yogagal47 said:

Guess I am not experienced enough, having taken only 3 Celebrity Cruises but -is it true that if you are in AQ you dine free in a specialty restaurant the first night? 

Typically, there is a 30% discount on the first night.  It has been a long time since I have gotten a 50% discount on the first night.   But there is no free dining for AQ guests on the first night.  

5 minutes ago, keesar said:

Typically, there is a 30% discount on the first night.  It has been a long time since I have gotten a 50% discount on the first night.   But there is no free dining for AQ guests on the first night.  

Other than in BLU

44 minutes ago, keesar said:

We walked on board the Reflection in April, went straight to Murano, and immediately got 50% off for the first night, as did the couple behind us.

Edited by mayleeman

On 8/31/2019 at 12:43 AM, dolittle said:

Just got off the eq last week and every one (and I mean every one ) is on their eight eq cruise or one very nice couple who told me about their cruise to Patagnoina . I know many people on all lines have done many but it seems that X is the king of the been there done it crowd. I am one of them but I must say it get a little old .Iwould love to meet some one who is new and high with enthusiasm for cruising and X.

Oh no! Not this point again! How many times do we have to read this over the years? (Just joking!)

I agree entirely. We try to avoid talking about past cruises unless asked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villauk said:

It’s personal preference as we’d do Alaska again and again instead of visiting the Caribbean (but we’re not beach pax). Same as Hawaii, we preferred to do that by flying between the islands than cruising over from the mainland. As Chemmo pointed out above, it’s probably an age thing too. As one gets older, then long-haul travel may not be so easy. As the saying goes, ‘Do it while you can as you no one knows what’s around the corner’.  

Alaska is beautiful and my thing is family memories, Grandma,  that I hold against it, probably stupid but we’re all human. 

I just wish I could find a way to get my wife to fly more places. The Galapagos are a big enough draw for her to forget the water thing, will need to figure out a big draw in Europe. 

We like our cruise to Hawaii because it weeded out two islands we didn’t like. I loved the rawness of the big island an my wife really liked Kauai. O’ahu and Maui felt too much like big city anywhere with beaches if that makes sense. The next time we go we know what islands to visit. Same with St Marten, we could do a week there drinking guavaberry and toppers rum;),  probably our favorite stop of all.  

On 9/1/2019 at 7:21 AM, OhioDogLover said:

I love to cruise and love to travel.  I am one of those people who always asks,  "where have you been?  What did you did?  What did you like?  What tips do you have?" I don't care if you did an around the world cruise or a driving trip to Lake Erie, I want to know everything I can about it.  Maybe I'm silly, but I'm also always looking for ideas. I wish i had the time to be E+.  Not yet, but I'm working on it.  

Ohiodoglover

I think we must be related. I love doing any type of travel, whether cruising or independently by land.  I also love hearing about other folks' travels since if it is somewhere I have been, I can chime in and if I have never been there, I am mentally taking notes for the future. i even enjoy looking at someone's travel photos. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread.

We never offer any information on our travel history any longer.  Even if asked about it, we lie.  Had enough of being honest and watching eyes glaze over because they considered it a competition.  Unless asked a specific question ('Have you ever been to Xxxxx?") we decline to discuss.  

No idea why folks want to make it competitive.

• Like 1

26 cruises to the Caribbean on mostly X and Royal Caribbean ships. 

For us there is ALWAYS something new to see or do on each island.

There is always something new to see or do on each ship. 

Cruising from the Northeast we might see Snow, Fog, Rain, Storms, Fair Skies, waves or billiard table smooth waters all on the same sailing..

Cruising for us is never "been there, done that" aside from the Muster drill.. LOL, They actually are different each sailing as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

We have done both the Caribbean and Hawaii, not sure if we will ever do Europe. My wife has a thing about flying over water so we will see if it ever happens. I have a personal thing against Alaska so not sure if we will do that run ever. Will do either a full or partial Panama Canal cruise and the Galapagos is on our must do and she will do the flight for that trip. 

There are still a lot of islands we haven’t seen in the Caribbean, mostly thanks to Disney not having a lot of options in that area when we cruised their line. 

@cgolf1

Good afternoon  --  curious as to why Alaska is out for you? 

Would love to hear - if you don't feel it's too personal of a question...

Cheers  --  Von

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

@cgolf1

Good afternoon  --  curious as to why Alaska is out for you? 

Would love to hear - if you don't feel it's too personal of a question...

Cheers  --  Von

I was up there once when I was young to visit my Grandma and it was beautiful. The problem I had was I only saw my Grandma two other times, weird family story where we lost touch with her and her second husband. Once I let that go all will be good and I don’t believe cruises stop in anchorage anyways. 

• Like 1

Many years ago we were at a table of 6 near the Captain's Table (Aft near the windows on Century) with our friends, another frequent cruising couple.  The (male) strangers at our table was telling us all about his cruising experience (he was wearing a lowest tier HAL pin) and seemed to be an authority on every subject.  The following night 4 of us as top cruisers on this sailing were invited to the Captain's table.  The guy saw us on either side of the captain and got up and left his wife sitting by herself at our table.  I asked another table if they would be willing to invite the lady since her husband was obviously .... (fill in the blanks) .

Sometimes hiding your cruise history is as offensive to some as sharing it.

5 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I was up there once when I was young to visit my Grandma and it was beautiful. The problem I had was I only saw my Grandma two other times, weird family story where we lost touch with her and her second husband. Once I let that go all will be good and I don’t believe cruises stop in anchorage anyways. 

Alaska is a very large & amazing state!!!  We have a number of "weird family stories" as well 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, calicakes said:

What’s wrong with Nassau? Not that I would head there anytime soon after this hurricane.

As for the hurricane, Nassau is fine.  Royal will have 3 ships there on Friday.

Freeport, not so much.  Extensive damage throughout.

I enjoy listening to any story or tip on board or on cruise critic. Its helped me tremendously with my travel plans. I had one snob once on Norwegian chide me for only snorkeling in bonaire. Because he'd been there so many times and was a platinum on Norwegian, he said only newbies snorkel. Scuba was more acceptable. I just laughed. I have found in general, most people who cruise a lot enjoy talking to people with any questions. It doesnt bother me unless they become pompous and redundant.

It's one thing to sit with other "experienced" cruisers to share past experiences in an empathetic manner and as a knowledge transfer.

It's quite different when it becomes a game of "Who can top who" or "gotcha".  If someone says of my experience, "Oh that's nothing, let me tell you about the time we...." or "you only went there for 10 days?  We went for 30 days and had blah blah blah...." I tend not to reply in kind, just  "that's nice, good for you and we have have to be somewhere now, cya!" 

{If I were a Southerner, I might say "Why bless your heart".}

But when people identify with cruising experiences rather than compare them, I'll listen and talk as long as the chat continues on that sharing level.  

I'm not interested in how many feathers the cruise line has installed in their sailing cap.  I'll mention cruising status only when it's pertinent to the topic, like enjoying priority boarding and cabin access, so the other party doesn't think I'm trying to be a rule breaker or feel I am better than anyone else.

Some brag, some share, it's not limited to cruising either.

Edited by evandbob

20 hours ago, calicakes said:

A few posts mentioned not going to Nassau.  I'm curious, why?  We almost booked the Summit next year from Cape Liberty.  We didn't, we picked the holiday cruise to the canal instead. 

The most common complaint I've heard about Nassau is that there is nothing to do other than visit the "duty free" shops.  That's assuming you don't want to buy a day pass to Atlantis Paradise Island or some other resort, or find a beach to hang out on.

Nassau maybe duty free, but prices extremely high. They re-mark prices. One time saw original US price label not completely covered with Nassau price. 

Nassau price was $2 higher on a $5 item. 

Back streets sell a lot of knock- off stuff. Be careful,  poor quality!

50 minutes ago, bobndee said:

The most common complaint I've heard about Nassau is that there is nothing to do other than visit the "duty free" shops.  That's assuming you don't want to buy a day pass to Atlantis Paradise Island or some other resort, or find a beach to hang out on.

We were going to chose that cruise, because it left on our anniversary and we love to snorkel.   We don't shop, we're planning on moving from CA to FL in 4 years. I'm not paying a moving company to schlep a bunch of crap.