the survey is not anonymous

gerelmx

1 hour ago, Terre said:

On our Equinox cruise last month we had the card in our cabin we could fill out with feedback.  I had waffles one day that couldn't be chewed or cut with a knife and mentioned that along with all the good things they were doing, raving about our cabin steward and a girl at guest services.  When we arrived for dinner the maitre d' was waiting at our table with our assistant waiter.  He apologized for the waffle and assured me it wouldn't happen again.  Later during our meal, another "suit" came to apologize about it and promised it wouldn't happen again.

That was about five days into a ten day cruise.  I ordered the waffle the next day and it was perfect that day and every day after!  They can't fix what they don't know about and I will hand out compliments just as readily.  You can complain nicely, you don't have to yell and make a scene.

Agreed. Two summers ago on Royal's Jewel of the Seas (same umbrella company), they had changed the menus since my first cruise with them after being diagnosed with a wheat allergy and having to go gluten-free - there seemed to be less offered on the menu, and my servers were not as forthcoming about "Ask for what you would like and I'll find out if it can be made" as I had experienced previously. No, I had not asked because the cruise before my server had been so up front from the start. But I filled out the mid-cruise survey and mentioned the lack of options compared to the 2 years previous. The next night, the head waiter was over at my table effusively letting me know that I could ask for whatever and they would see if they could make it happen. Things improved after that (save for them trying to tell me that a faro-based dish was safe because it was marked as such - a marking in error as faro is in no way safe for someone who is gluten-free). But you definitely have to be proactive - as you said, they can't fix what they don't know.

• Thanks 1

DH and I are people who are laid back and easy to please. We always pay gratuities and tip above and beyond them. X must either REALLY reward crew who get perfect 10s or REALLY penalize those who don't to cause the volume of desperate pleas for 10s that the current passengers receive. We find the "begging for 10s" from crew that we've expressed our pleasure to on a consistent  basis throughout the cruise to be extremely uncomfortable. We assure them that we understand the importance of the 10s yet most continue. We also take the time on most of our cruises to fill out mid-cruise comment cards. I know that these are read and the crew members named have taken the time to thank us for our kind words. I have gotten calls from the Hotel Director and Concierge responding to those comments, yet the crew are still just as desperate for the 10 ratings as the cruise nears the end. X does need to reevaluate the cause for the desperation. The crews of X ships are wonderful and don't deserve to be pressured the way they currently are. We also don't like the current format of the PCS which offer virtually no space for comments and are only interested in numeric ratings.

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear they read the surveys. I have commended all of my cabin stewards and given them 10s with why I did so. What's interesting is on one rccl cruise I commented on the survey that I didnt like the close tables in the MDR last fall on the jewel. By January, they had us off to the side on the vision. Could be coincidental but maybe not.

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I'm glad to hear they read the surveys. I have commended all of my cabin stewards and given them 10s with why I did so. What's interesting is on one rccl cruise I commented on the survey that I didnt like the close tables in the MDR last fall on the jewel. By January, they had us off to the side on the vision. Could be coincidental but maybe not.

Its data that they keep on you, every place does.  I would hope they see and try to cater to peoples comments.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

DH and I are people who are laid back and easy to please. We always pay gratuities and tip above and beyond them. X must either REALLY reward crew who get perfect 10s or REALLY penalize those who don't to cause the volume of desperate pleas for 10s that the current passengers receive. We find the "begging for 10s" from crew that we've expressed our pleasure to on a consistent  basis throughout the cruise to be extremely uncomfortable. We assure them that we understand the importance of the 10s yet most continue. We also take the time on most of our cruises to fill out mid-cruise comment cards. I know that these are read and the crew members named have taken the time to thank us for our kind words. I have gotten calls from the Hotel Director and Concierge responding to those comments, yet the crew are still just as desperate for the 10 ratings ... 

We, too, always tip extra in person to the cabin steward and our wait team, as well as any very good bartender we've had.  We also tip extra to the maitre 'd if he/she did something extra for us.

Begging for the ten rating is on every cruise line, though.  We have been told in the past by certain crew that if they get a certain number of low ratings and bad comments, they are demoted...have not been able to confirm that, however.  The bad comment could be something very minor.

This makes me think of the corporate concepts of "always give 110%!"

If I "gave 110%" in my mathematics classes... I would have failed because it's not possible.

10, to me, is "WOW, exemplary, far exceeds usual service standards."

Thus, 10 cannot be the usual service standard, by definition.

• Like 1

I didn't realise that staff were penalised if they didn't receive a perfect 10.  To me, this score is only given if service is above and beyond what is expected.  An 8 or 9 should represent normal excellent service.  Given what seems to be happening on Celebrity (and I imagine other cruise lines) what is the point of offering a choice of scores  between 1 and 10 or even having a survey? 

• Like 1

The whole system a lot of business' use for measuring customer satisfaction is idiotic. The staff actually knowing how you rated them in the first leg of a back to back cruise is really going to lead to lots of 10's and 11's on those first legs. Of course, this kind of grade inflation is going on elsewhere too. It used to be special to get an A (80%) in school, now University students beg me for 95's and higher because that's what high school teachers GAVE them, not what they earned, mind you, but that's what they got. 10 is the new 8 in today's world.   (Geez, I'm sounding old)

Companies fall all over themselves getting you to fill in those customer surveys. A couple of businesses I frequent will email a link to a survey the next day and if you don't fill it out quickly, they'll send a reminder email and one will send out a second reminder email. Have you ever noticed that they never ask your opinion about whether you like being hounded to fill in those surveys? They never ask! So, I've started to add this to all the surveys that I fill out if there any 'Additional Comments' section.

"Customer Service for the xxx xxxxxx (car repair or whatever) rates a 10.

This stupid survey that you sent me 3 emails about rates a 1.  -  STOP!!!  

☹️ It hasn't worked yet.

(OK, OK, it was really only an 8 but I have to go back soon to get my winter tires put on and who knows if those surveys ar actually confidential after reading this thread. 😉)

Edited by DirtyDawg

On 10/17/2019 at 5:03 AM, gerelmx said:

I know this because my waiter told me he receive 8 in two tables and this score affects him in a lower salary, and he can go to the computer an see the scores by table and/or cabin number

I have a bridge for sale that connects Brooklyn and Manhattan. Any takers?

• Like 1

On the Royal Caribbean surveys they ask you if anyone asked to be scored 10. I'm happy to report on the Anthem they did not. Perhaps Celebrity has requested the same from the staff and this is their way around it.

Edited by Iamcruzin

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

On the Royal Caribbean surveys they ask you if anyone asked to be scored 10. I'm happy to report on the Anthem they did not. Perhaps Celebrity has requested the same from the staff and this is their way around it.

We did a 14 night cruise on the Summit in September and not one staff member ever said anything about a 10 score. We were reminded on the last evening to take the PCS when we got home. No biggie. 

• Like 1

I understand the desire to track customer satisfaction, but at this point I get a survey from almost everyone I come in contact with. Go to the bank... get a survey, same with doctors offices, call a company... get another survey... and on and on. Like so many programs...one company does it and before you know it... every freaking person you come in contact with sends you a survey!

8 minutes ago, kearney said:

I understand the desire to track customer satisfaction, but at this point I get a survey from almost everyone I come in contact with. Go to the bank... get a survey, same with doctors offices, call a company... get another survey... and on and on. Like so many programs...one company does it and before you know it... every freaking person you come in contact with sends you a survey!

Pick and choose or ignore. 

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

We did a 14 night cruise on the Summit in September and not one staff member ever said anything about a 10 score. We were reminded on the last evening to take the PCS when we got home. No biggie. 

THAT would be wonderful. I'd love to not be hounded for the last two days of a cruise by crew members literally begging for 10s even after being reassured multiple times.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, dkjretired said:

How do you know that this is not part of the pitch to get the 10.  I certainly wouldn't take one persons's self serving comment as gospel. 

Nor would I. However the OP's experience mirrors ours on Silhouette from May this year. Both our head waiter and maitre d' said the same thing. They no longer benefit from an 8 rating, only a 9 or 10. They were very convincing either way. 

I board Connie tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if the staff on that ship make the same claims. 

53 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I ignore all. It’s not like the service or product will Change one way or the other. It’s basically lip service.

I just deleted two today for different services I contacted or paid for. I also got a phone call a few nights ago wanting me to take a short three question survey. I told the girl, no problem. Send me a check for my time and then we'll talk. That ended that call. 

Edited by davekathy

I was on the Equinox last year sailing in a suite.  In short, yes the crew DOES talk about passengers.  Our butler was fantastic and at times he'd chat for a bit whenever he'd drop in to check on us.  He let me know that the crew does mention to one another which passengers are "difficult" and "demanding" and which ones are "friendly" and "easy going".  When we hadn't shown up to Luminae for a meal within the first 3 days of an 11 night cruise, our butler let us know that those in charge were concerned about where we were eating.  I honestly thought he was joking, but he wasn't.  One night we noticed that a show we wanted to see overlapped over dinner.  We told him it wasn't a problem and that we'd just pop up to the buffet to get our dinner.  He told us that we should NOT go to the buffet.  If one of his bosses saw us up there, they'd question HIM as to why we were eating there.  That revelation threw me for a loop.  He said that if we wanted dinner after the show to call him and he'd bring us whatever we wanted.  I did not want to get him into any trouble, so we made sure to go to Luminae the next night for dinner.  While there the entire crew who waited on us was spectacular.  They were so nice and excited that we finally showed up.  One of our waiters let us know that he and our butler had been friends for a long time.  He told us that our butler had told him that we were very nice and friendly people.  The entire Luminae crew took great care of us.  They would stop by our table often during dinner for a quick chat.  If we ordered something that they didn't think was special enough, they'd change our order to something better that we did indeed love.  They were amazing!  I will say this, if you are a difficult and demanding passenger, they will know it!  They do talk, they keep notes and the crew will be forewarned on how best to "manage" you.  ALWAYS seek to be friendly.  It will make for a better trip for everyone involved!  Everyone got high scores on their reviews because they were wonderful to us.  I was happy to be very detailed about the exact ways they went above and beyond. 

21 hours ago, begagirl said:

I didn't realise that staff were penalised if they didn't receive a perfect 10.  To me, this score is only given if service is above and beyond what is expected.  An 8 or 9 should represent normal excellent service.  Given what seems to be happening on Celebrity (and I imagine other cruise lines) what is the point of offering a choice of scores  between 1 and 10 or even having a survey? 

I view it a little differently.  Those receiving a 9 or 10 are provided a bonus for providing excellent service.  The incentive for going above and beyond is the higher share of the tip pool. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have a bridge for sale that connects Brooklyn and Manhattan. Any takers?

Curious for your take on this.  If there is not a financial incentive why do you suppose the waitstaff push so much for the 10's?   

PS: Is that a toll bridge?  Lol

Edited by ldubs

This is a disreputable practice.  Is there a better cruise line out there?

There should be no begging for 10s.

They did not beg for 10s on Edge.

My response is to knock down their score by 1 every time they bring the topic up.  True 10s do not beg for 10s.

Are you sure this was not on Carnival?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Just now, ldubs said:

Curious for your take on this.  If there is not a financial incentive why do you suppose the wait staff push so much for the 10's?   

Well if they all get 10's for providing mediocre service they don't have to work as hard. All of these bleeding heart passengers who give out 10's for the sake of the staff are the ones who are causing the standards to be lowered. They provide basic service get 10's and management thinks wow the passengers are pleased lets cut the budget for food and service again. I do think that the scores do effect them in some way. They probably get reprimanded by their superiors. The cruise lines are cheap I doubt they get rewarded. Maybe it holds weight when they are up for a contract renewal.

On Royal Caribbean the service in the MDR was  horrible. Couldn't get a drink refill of coffee with dessert. By the 4th night I had it. I went to the bar and got drinks for myself and my wife. On the way back I informed the desk staff as I returned with my drinks and Head waiter of whoever was in charge of that dining room came to apologize and he even gave me his card. Well the service didn't improve the rest of the trip. I wish I could have given them a zero. The room steward wasn't much better. Our soap dispenser was broken off of the wall in the shower. Everyday I had to wave him down and ask for shampoo and soap. This was the first time in 30 years of cruising that I didn't leave a tip on top of the auto gratuity. All in all we did enjoy the cruise but nobody receive any 9's or 10's from us. To be far nobody asked for 10's nor did they make up stories to make us believe we should give them 10's. One night we did have an excellent team waiting on us which is probably why I expected the same treatment on other nights. I wrote out a positive comment card and turned it in to guest services the next day. That probably holds more water than any fake 10's they receive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well if they all get 10's for providing mediocre service they don't have to work as hard. All of these bleeding heart passengers who give out 10's for the sake of the staff are the ones who are causing the standards to be lowered. They provide basic service get 10's and management thinks wow the passengers are pleased lets cut the budget for food and service again. I do think that the scores do effect them in some way. They probably get reprimanded by their superiors. The cruise lines are cheap I doubt they get rewarded. Maybe it holds weight when they are up for a contract renewal.

On Royal Caribbean the service in the MDR was  horrible. Couldn't get a drink refill of coffee with dessert. By the 4th night I had it. I went to the bar and got drinks for myself and my wife. On the way back I informed the desk staff as I returned with my drinks and Head waiter of whoever was in charge of that dining room came to apologize and he even gave me his card. Well the service didn't improve the rest of the trip. I wish I could have given them a zero. The room steward wasn't much better. Our soap dispenser was broken off of the wall in the shower. Everyday I had to wave him down and ask for shampoo and soap. This was the first time in 30 years of cruising that I didn't leave a tip on top of the auto gratuity. All in all we did enjoy the cruise but nobody receive any 9's or 10's from us. To be far nobody asked for 10's nor did they make up stories to make us believe we should give them 10's. One night we did have an excellent team waiting on us which is probably why I expected the same treatment on other nights. I wrote out a positive comment card and turned it in to guest services the next day. That probably holds more water than any fake 10's they receive.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  If everyone gets a 10, then there is no incentive to do better than the next guy.   Thx.  

• Like 4