what's on your cruise bucket list?

SarahGrace92

I would like to cruise just once in the highest level of suite offered on the ship...just to experience it one time.  We usually  cruise in a suite but we opt for whatever entry level category will afford us the most amenities.  One day I will throw caution (money) to the wind and go for it.  Gotta get a few kids off the payroll first 😁.

• Like 3

I want to do a big world cruise after we retire (13-ish years and counting...) before we have to figure out what we're gonna do next. 

I really want to cruise the Pacific Islands and really, really, really want to cruise to Pitcairn Island -- which realistically probably means multiple attempts since it's cancelled so often as a landing.

I'd really love to do an antarctic cruise. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I'd really love to do an antarctic cruise. 

But make sure it's on one of the smaller ships that can disembark pax.  Anything over 400 or 500 (can't remember now) is, by treaty, not allowed to do anything other than 'cruise by.'

• Thanks 1

I regret not going to Syria and seeing Palmyra and Aleppo before they were bombed into oblivion.  I was so close multiple times, but just couldn't arrange it with my other travels.  Cruisemom, you were indeed blessed to be able to visit both.

I did my one "bucket list" cruise already - cruising the Nile in 2009.  It was on a 64-passenger ship, the Nile Adventurer.  A small group of women (14) with our private female Egyptologist.  We got to dive into the ancient world and the role of women.  Better than the usual!  It was combined with a roadtrip in Jordan, from Jerash down to Petra, with so much in-between.  It was a total trip that I had always wanted to do.  

Other than that one, I have a hankering for a small boat canal cruise in France.  Don't know why for sure.  I think the idea of leisurely cruising a canal, riding bikes or walking the canal paths, lots of good wine and food, doing lots or nothing, depending on how I feel...  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Does anyone know how the term bucket list originated ?

I can remember the term years ago...

Simply... something you would like to do before "kicking the bucket"

there was a reference in the 1963 movie " its a mad mad mad world "' at the beginning

when  Jimmy Durante character crashes his car and when he dies, his foot kicks out and kicks a bucket

after which the race to the big W starts.

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
spellng
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Oh wow…..I just used my friend google...………

Why is a bucket list called a bucket list?......here is one answer...…..

The first theory goes back to the middle ages and practices of public hanging. One would have to stand on a bucket with a noose and when the bucket is kicked, the person would automatically strangle to death. ... Having a bucket list, is to have a life and utilise it fully before it's knocked off from under your feet!
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The term "bucket list" was invented by screenwriter Justin Zackham for his 2007 movie The Bucket List. He created the term from the phrase "to kick the bucket" after writing his own “Justin’s List of Things to Do Before I Kick the Bucket”. This in turn inspired his movie idea. He decided that "List of Things to Do Before You Kick the Bucket" was a little long for a movie title so he shortened it to The Bucket List.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I did my one "bucket list" cruise already - cruising the Nile in 2009.  It was on a 64-passenger ship, the Nile Adventurer.  A small group of women (14) with our private female Egyptologist.  We got to dive into the ancient world and the role of women.  Better than the usual!  It was combined with a roadtrip in Jordan, from Jerash down to Petra, with so much in-between.  It was a total trip that I had always wanted to do.  

Wow!  That does sound incredible.

50 minutes ago, idraconis said:

I cruise on Carnival and I'm Platinum hoping to reach Diamond. I have 101 days at sea 99 to go. Gettin' old, hope I make it. 

Your bucket list is to make it to 200 days at sea?  Wow.  

23 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

I once met a person who had chosen a cruise ship as his retirement home. That is on my bucket list... on the bottom

Actually, I am getting ready to retire on Dec 31st:classic_biggrin:......if there was a way for me to have a ship as my home, I would

do it as well.  

• Like 1

I've a number of what you might call bucket list experiences.

Climbed Diamond Head, Submarine off Waikiki beach, fixed wing glider ride on the north shore of Oahu, underwater scooter ride in St.Thomas, Grand Ole Opry  to name a few.

Also have a whale watching excursion coming up in April.

Still hoping to get in a European bus trip

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, clo said:

Were those "cruise-bucket-list"?

The Hawaii ones weren't, but could be if you do a Hawaii cruise. 

St.Thomas was on a Southern Caribbean cruise and Grand Ole Opry was the road trip going home from a cruise.

The upcoming Whale watching is on a Hawaii cruise at the end of March.

In no particular order:

Baltics

SE Med (Israel, Egypt, Jordan, etc.)

Antarctica

Galapagos

Trans-Pacific Tokyo to Vancouver via the coasts of Japan and Alaska including the Aleutians.

River cruise from Amsterdam to Bucharest

I expect we'll do all of those within the next 10-12 years.

Edited by ducklite

We've been knocking off special cruises lately as we age.....we have a combo Nile cruise and land vacation booked, as well as a Norway fjords and a Chilean fjords and Magellan Strait booked in the next 18 months.

Perhaps an Iceland/Greenland cruise or land/cruise combo, or a Galapagos sailing are in the near future?  We'd like to do those before the old bones get really creaky.

We've already done some major land vacays like Australia, New Zealand, Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti, the Cook Islands, most of the Hawaiian islands (bypassed Oahu), Costa Rica,  Panama, and  Vancouver, Jasper and Banff in Canada.  We sailed the Italian and Greek isles on a Med cruise and taken a land/cruise tour in Alaska. An African safari might be on the horizon as well, we shall see!

We don't limit our travel to cruise only, there are certainly places that are better experienced through a more thorough land stay.

Edited by evandbob

Almost all of them, I guess? 

We're going on Mexican Riviera this next cruise, which is a bucket-list item. BUT, it was originally booked for Cuba which was #1 bucket-list cruise for me until restrictions were put back on cruising to Cuba 😞 That's still my #1, hopefully we'll get it back.

Then: 

Planning for 2021: Eastern Mediterranean (must stop in Croatia and Greece) 

After that my next bucket list item is Alaska. 

I'd also add these to my bucket list: 
Baltic Sea 

"ABC cruise" (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)

Western Mediterranean 
Panama Canal 
Trans-Atlantic 

And I'd LOVE to do an around the world cruise! 

Edited by EMOSEA

On 11/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, SarahGrace92 said:

For those of you who have a cruise bucket list, what's on that list?

Ferry cruise through Norway.

Whatever cruise(s) that will connect Tahiti with the Black Sea (to complete our "world" cruise)

Antarctica

Mississippi river cruise

4 hours ago, EMOSEA said:

Almost all of them, I guess? 

We're going on Mexican Riviera this next cruise, which is a bucket-list item. BUT, it was originally booked for Cuba which was #1 bucket-list cruise for me until restrictions were put back on cruising to Cuba 😞 That's still my #1, hopefully we'll get it back.

Then: 

Planning for 2021: Eastern Mediterranean (must stop in Croatia and Greece) 

After that my next bucket list item is Alaska. 

I'd also add these to my bucket list: 
Baltic Sea 

"ABC cruise" (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)

Western Mediterranean 
Panama Canal 
Trans-Atlantic 

And I'd LOVE to do an around the world cruise! 

It is easy to go to Cuba but not on a cruise.  Fly to Canada.  Then fly to Cuba.  Canadians go to Cuba all the time especially when it is cold in Canada and warm in Cuba.  There are lots of really good land tours you can do in Cuba as long as the tour is not done by an American company.  I have been there once which was not enough and my brother has been there either 2 or 3 times.

DON

We have a bunch of bucket list destinations--whether by cruise ship or not.  Too many to list.

Just knocked one off the list yesterday when we booked a Tahiti to Hawaii cruise!  We've been to Hawaii several times, but Tahiti was definitely on the list.

At 74, you just never know so we want to get as many of our list done as possible in the next few years; Main ones are Australia/New Zealand, China, Jordan and more touring in Europe.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser