Karaoke

wimelbracht

Princess has it on a regular basis -- saw it in the Patter several times last week. They even have Karaoke on steroids with Voice of the Ocean. I never saw it, never even walked by the venue where it was held so don't know anything else about it. If OP wants to make sure they don't sail on a line that has Karaoke not my place to judge and tell them how to cruise (just don't attend) -- but did want to provide a response that reflects what actually happens on Princess. 

1 hour ago, snowskier said:

Princess has it on a regular basis -- saw it in the Patter several times last week. They even have Karaoke on steroids with Voice of the Ocean. I never saw it, never even walked by the venue where it was held so don't know anything else about it.

Karaoke on one or two evenings is specifically for tryouts for Voice of the Ocean.  Once chosen, the contestants rehearse two songs (and pick one for the finals) with the music director, a pianist, a guitarist and 2 production singers and then have a dress rehearsal with the full band (including horns).  The contest is held in the ship's theater - often full - with the entire band and 3 judges.  We were very impressed with the quality of the contestants and two out of three of the judges (one a guest singer) and (I have it on good authority) the entire process was great fun. 

Has anyone ever tried it ? I want to but Mrs.66 said I will make a fool of myself.

Many years ago I auditioned for an NBC shown,the Horn and Hardarts Children’s Hour.

I sang the well known song If I Knew You Were Coming I’d Bake A Cake.However,I was not selected to be on the show.That did not deter me.Years later I auditioned with another very popular song for another TV show.I sang You’ll Never Walk Alone recorded by Vaughn Monroe but once again I was not chosen.

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

You don't have to attend....it's not a "ship wide" thing!  Don't think Princess or Celebrity have it on a regular basis.  Carnival, RCI and NCL have karaoke....but it's only in one small area.

The OP wanted to stay aware from cruise lines that DON"T have karaoke. Did you really read the question?

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Has anyone ever tried it ?

Some years ago in Rio our builder who spoke no English and his wife who spoke even less 🙂 took us out one night. Spent quite a while drinking caipirnhas and then Bob and Paulo got up to do karaoke. They picked the wrong song and wound up having to do "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing." Major lol-memory 🙂

Just now, clo said:

Some years ago in Rio our builder who spoke no English and his wife who spoke even less 🙂 took us out one night. Spent quite a while drinking caipirnhas and then Bob and Paulo got up to do karaoke. They picked the wrong song and wound up having to do "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing." Major lol-memory 🙂

Speaking of people who do not speak English and yes this is a cruise related post.In 1973 my wife and I were in Bermuda for several days.We wanted to do something at night and joined a group of people on the cruise and went to a nightclub to see a singer native to Jamaica.He sang some calypso songs and after about a half hour of singing he took a rest and we offered to buy him a drink .He seemed to enjoy sitting with us and conversing.After he had a few more drinks he seemed to lose his accent and eventually found out that he was not from Jamaica but in fact Newark,NJ.

• Haha 2

I am not a fan of Karaoke so having experienced the popular silent disco on a cruise I suggested to the cruise director that a silent Karaoke might be a good. He was not amused but plenty of other people thought it was a good idea!.

• Haha 2

The best karaoke I ever went to on a cruise was where several groups of drunk young people performed.  They couldn't sing but they also did not care and they were a blast to listen to.  They were really enjoying themselves.

DON

On January 20, 2020 at 12:47 AM, davecttr said:

I am not a fan of Karaoke so having experienced the popular silent disco on a cruise I suggested to the cruise director that a silent Karaoke might be a good. He was not amused but plenty of other people thought it was a good idea!.

Lip syncing is not allowed in karaoke unless your name is Mariah Carey.

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, davecttr said:

With you here. Hate Karaoke, and dont particularly like those people that actually think they can sing then poison the earth with their godawful noise pollution.

And how their partners can let them crack on, knowing full well they cant sing, is tantamount to cruelty.

Karaoke is not necessarily about singing well, it is about having fun.  It was started by a group of Japanese business who wanted to get drunk and sing.  If you don't like it, then don't go.  Personally, I love it and have a blast doing it.  My late husband had been a professional musician at one point so he was my mentor.  Now when I do karaoke, I know he is by my side.

• Like 2

Well you say that, but have not been in a bar that suddenly decided it was Karaoke night? So suddenly your nice quiet conversation filled alcohol fueled night was ruined by some cackling half drunk woman who thinks shes Whitney Huston? The real Whitney Huston would have been bad enough but come on.....................😵

So to clarify my issue with Karaoke isnt with those that CAN sing (which usually isnt many) but is with the majority that cant but seem to think they can, and genuinely believe everyone else thinks they can. Being stood next to an ambulance siren is less annoying.

Edited by DarrenM

13 hours ago, wimelbracht said:

I agree completely with the remark: If you dont like it, don't go.

Nobody is forced to go.

I agree that no one is forced to go (unless by their traveling companions 😉 ) but the noise can carry into other venues/seating areas.  Also, if your favorite pub for drinks is also hosting karaoke, then you need to choose to find a different spot or wait for a different time.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Well you say that, but have not been in a bar that suddenly decided it was Karaoke night? So suddenly your nice quiet conversation filled alcohol fueled night was ruined by some cackling half drunk woman who thinks shes Whitney Huston? The real Whitney Huston would have been bad enough but come on.....................😵

Fortunately on cruises it is generally listed in the schedule where and when karaoke is scheduled.  You may have to find a different bar than your preference, but it shouldn't be a surprise - plus there are usually more than a few bars on a ship 😉 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DarrenM said:

So to clarify my issue with Karaoke isnt with those that CAN sing (which usually isnt many) but is with the majority that cant but seem to think they can, and genuinely believe everyone else thinks they can. Being stood next to an ambulance siren is less annoying.

You got it all wrong dwag. Who says you need singing talent when you can just rap like a homeboy or girl from the hood. Just pretend you are Snoop Dog or Cardi B  on stage.