Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The two forums that were merged are both Princess forums.

I agree with you, and just to make it clearer, two TOPICS / THREADS were merged. You are correct they were both on Princess Forum

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mimip said:

No, we are on Celebrity, which requires this letter, downloaded from their site.  Norwegian has one too, but it is not so detailed.  I have spoken to Celebrity and have been told they do not know how long their requirement will last.  And no, the CDC did not order this.  It was the cruise line that put it in place.

Thank you for providing information on what other cruise lines are requiring so some of us can see the trend.

Well, Princess did make an announcement. They are suspending cruises thru the end of June. Great compensation for the canceled cruises. PCL is willing to give us back 100% of my cruise fare. We hope this includes insurance, fees and taxes. But they did not address the "FTS" letter so they will not be getting another "loan" from us. We could not chance the other option which included a FCC and a bonus 25% for another cruise as they are keeping us in limbo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

Well, Princess did make an announcement. They are suspending cruises thru the end of June. Great compensation for the canceled cruises. PCL is willing to give us back 100% of my cruise fare. We hope this includes insurance, fees and taxes. But they did not address the "FTS" letter so they will not be getting another "loan" from us. We could not chance the other option which included a FCC and a bonus 25% for another cruise as they are keeping us in limbo.

If you check out this link: https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/keeping-you-safe-and-healthy/, you will see the third bullet-point under Enhancing Health Requirements point to a underlying severe, chronic medical condition as a reason to be denied boarding and to contact Princess ahead of time if you think you fit this description.

I personally don't think Princess is going to add an age threshold. Contacting Princess ahead of time should let you know if you're going to meet their criteria (as yet unstated) or not.

34 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

But they did not address the "FTS" letter so they will not be getting another "loan" from us. We could not chance the other option which included a FCC and a bonus 25% for another cruise as they are keeping us in limbo.

26 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

If you check out this link: https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/keeping-you-safe-and-healthy/, you will see the third bullet-point under Enhancing Health Requirements point to a underlying severe, chronic medical condition as a reason to be denied boarding and to contact Princess ahead of time if you think you fit this description.

I personally don't think Princess is going to add an age threshold. Contacting Princess ahead of time should let you know if you're going to meet their criteria (as yet unstated) or not.

beg3yrs has steered us to a great link.  When I looked at it, there is a much more in depth explanation of what to expect in a 5 page document that outlines Pre Cruise issues, issues at embarkation, and issues during your cruise.  What struck me was the following from that document:

"I. If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19.

II. If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation. 
III. If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition.  

The above requirements apply to all guests, crew members, service staff and visitors. "

There is no mention of any requirement for a Fit To Sail Letter for anybody and no mention of a passenger's age at all.  If you're healthy, you sail.  They are also very specific that if you have a chronic medical condition, it must be severe before you need to contact Princess.

WmFCoyote, I think this should answer your question.  You will never see any cruise line come out with a definitive statement that they are NOT doing this or that, they will only report what they ARE doing.  I would think that you're going to be good to go.  I hope this helps answer your very valid concerns.

The five page document may be found here:  https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

After sending this posting to Princess Customer Services.  Received a voice mail from Alicia saying they do not have the age/doctor requirement and are not considering it in the future. They will not make a public statement on the issue right now.  More confusion on the issue.

• Thanks 1

As previous stated in this thread, I think this was a “Hail Mary”  attempt by CCL to keep cruising going in March (really bad and expensive move).  I don’t see them doing that, at least long term, when cruising resumes for the following reasons:

1). This probably violates American ADA and anti-discrimination laws.

2). At least for Princess and HAL,  this would create massive  demand destruction.

3). Selling travel insurance and medical center services are a significant source of revenue from the targeted demographic.

• Like 1

Enhancing Health Requirements

We will deny boarding to guests and crew if they:

• Have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or a person being monitored for COVID-19.
  • Are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.
  • Have an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition.

Is a controlled diabetic allowed to board? What about an asthmatic? Cancer in remission?  High blood pressure, elevated cholesterol?  How will this be determined and by whom?

32 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Enhancing Health Requirements

We will deny boarding to guests and crew if they:

• Have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or a person being monitored for COVID-19.
  • Are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.
  • Have an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition.

Is a controlled diabetic allowed to board? What about an asthmatic? Cancer in remission?  High blood pressure, elevated cholesterol?  How will this be determined and by whom?

Some of the other lines are requiring a signed doctors note that they have posted on their website.  Good luck getting a Doctor to sign it.

Possible Disqualifying Conditions:

Chronic Flatulence

Chronic Bad Breath

Loud Talker

Smoker

Stinky Feet

Obnoxious Laugh

Know-It-All

Lives in California

My wife is a "sneezer". There is nothing wrong with her but she will have explosive and loud sneezes. The doctor says not to worry but it's LOUD and startling.  Probably a "disqualifying condition".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

By the time the ships start sailing we will all be in contact with someone who had covid-19, in all likelihood. Do we have to prove these people had 3 negative tests before we can board a ship?

will they give a cash refund for those who booked with a FCC, since they will never meet requirements to sail?

There is a good chance that people who have had COVID willl produce antibodies that will protect them in the future.  There is a saliva test being worked on now to reliably detect the antibodies.  A future vaccine may also provide good protection if and when it is rolled out.  Hopefully the cruise lines will survive long enough.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Chronic Flatulence

Chronic Bad Breath

Loud Talker

Smoker

Stinky Feet

Obnoxious Laugh

Know-It-All

Lives in California

My wife is a "sneezer". There is nothing wrong with her but she will have explosive and loud sneezes. The doctor says not to worry but it's LOUD and startling.  Probably a "disqualifying condition".

lives in California  🤣 roflmao ....   wait a minute ..🤔

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, c-boy said:

lives in California  🤣 roflmao ....   wait a minute ..🤔

He said that because I live in California😅

How will they know of these conditions anyway? How would anyone know including myself if I came in contact with someone unsymptomatic with covid-19. Will they take my blood pressure (I run low) or my cholesterol (I run high).  If it's just a form we sign at check in like we had a few years ago then we'll all be able to sail and have relieved Princess of any liability. There was no mention of any age restrictions thankfully. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

They can and most probably will check everyone's temperature before boarding which is easy to do using a laser.  I am sure that all pax will admit to being near someone with COVID-19 knowing full well they will be denied boarding 🙄  For the last point they will have to be more specific and a medical practitioner will have to sign it.  I am sure those signatures will be legitimate of course!  All of this will be like the health form we had to submit before boarding and everyone of course was honest.  😂

I have not seen the medical form to be signed by a physician or a requirement to have it.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Chronic Flatulence

Chronic Bad Breath

Loud Talker

Smoker

Stinky Feet

Obnoxious Laugh

Know-It-All

Lives in California

You left out dirty hands and no ability to demonstrate how to correctly wash them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Chronic Flatulence

Chronic Bad Breath

Loud Talker

Smoker

Stinky Feet

Obnoxious Laugh

Know-It-All

Lives in California

I’m guessing the list pertains to you! Don’t worry Mrs Thrak, I’ve got your back! 😝