Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

52 minutes ago, brisalta said:

He said that because he lives in the northern reaches of California.

And I'm on his polar opposite  SoCal  where the sun shines.

I  received this evening an email from Princess that my Japan July 5th cruise tour is cancelled. I will do nothing for option 1 and get that 125% FCC.  It was an expensive cruise tour so that's a lot of money. I didn't really want to be on the Diamond anyway before a vaccine was developed.

Edited by cruzsnooze

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

And I'm on his polar opposite  SoCal  where the sun shines.

Maybe now as the reduced traffic allows you to see the sun in Los Angeles due to the reduction in smog.

Butte always has sun!

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I have not seen the medical form to be signed by a physician or a requirement to have it.

So far no form is required by Princess.

Here are forms from two other cruise lines:

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

What struck me was the following from that document:

"I. If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19.

II. If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation. 
III. If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition.  

Note that (I) has no time limit looking back asking when you may have been in contact with such a person.

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Enhancing Health Requirements

We will deny boarding to guests and crew if they:

• Have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or a person being monitored for COVID-19.
  • Are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.
  • Have an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition.

Note that the first item has no time limit on looking back asking when you may have been in contact with such a person.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Note that the first item has no time limit on looking back asking when you may have been in contact with such a person.

And is the key word in the 3rd point:  severe?

wonder if Princess reps can give a consistent answer As to what disqualifies one from cruising. 

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

How will this be determined and by whom?

The gentle readers of cruise critic will vote.

But seriously ... I guess cruising is like some adventure tour, only people in peak health

should engage...

Edited by Roberto256

"Have an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition".

They need to clarify this. I have a severe, chronic medical condition but I feel much better now than I did 8 months ago.  I have taken a cruise since my diagnosis. Before taking the cruise I asked my doctor about it and he encouraged me to go ahead with the cruise. It was probably the best two weeks I have had in the last 8 months.  It was nice to be able to forget all my concerns for the future for a couple of weeks.

what about those  that do  have  a chronic  condition that is well  controlled?

Asthma  is  a chronic Condition that can  be  well controlled

High  blood  pressure is  a chronic condition that can  be  well controlled

Diabetes  is  a chronic  condition that can be well controlled

A person who is on  long term meds for certain Chronic  conditions   that  are  well controlled.

Vacations are the best  way  for these  people  to  relax which will help  these  people  remain healthy

• Like 1

I'm 70 & my is 69 so we are at the threshold  of making our end of cruising decision .  We had hoped to be  making this decision  at 75 but look like  today as it snows heavily  in Chicago  we will seriously  discuss  this decision .We are both thankful  for all the memories  of the wonderful  Princess  cruises  we have taken and would hate to have our final  cruise be a horrible experience . Praying  that a vaccine is found quickly and that life returns to normal. 

Edited by JEH
Missing word

Right now a lot of people on this thread are speculating about "what If".  I am sure the cruise lines are working overtime with their doctors and lawyers; trying to come up with a game plan that will meet or exceed what the CDC and Coast Guard are requiring to get the ships back to sailing again.  Until the US gets the virus under control or at the least get the numbers way down;  the cruise lines have no idea about what the final health requirement will be.  So take it easy with your "what if" scenario's until we read something concrete about future health requirements; which at this point are still being put together by the CDC and various gov't agencies.  The airlines will most likely have a different requirement than the cruise industry.  The cruise industry will most likely have a different set of rules than amusement parks; etc.  So you guys a losing too much sleep and getting your blood pressure spiked up wondering about underlying health conditions, chronic health conditions, immunization requirements.   I can't stop you for posting to this thread;  but I do worry about your scare tactics; as some people who read these threads take it seriously and some take it with a grain of salt.  The 24/7 news covering the pandemic scares everybody; at least on this thread and these forums; lets try and look at the glass three quarters full instead of doom and gloom.  As of now we sit back and wait to see what shakes out.  For those of you who may be thinking "well this guy is healthy, so what does he have to worry about".  You are correct; I am in excellent health; however, my wife has severe chronic asthma, year long allergies; for which she receives shots, and type 2 diabetic.  But you know what:  she can't wait to go on our cruises; she does not let her condition stop her.  She wants to live life to the fullest, and she wants to see the world.  Both of us don't spend time thinking what if scenario's.  We don't worry about what we have no control over; or what tomorrow brings.  Have a great day.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

JEH,  have faith and don't worry about going on a cruise.  Once everything pans out;  the cruise lines will make cruising available to all ages.  

Thanks , We certainly  hope so

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I can't stop you for posting to this thread;  but I do worry about your scare tactics; as some people who read these threads take it seriously and some take it with a grain of salt.

People have legitimate concerns, and they have the right to express those concerns on Cruise Critic.  Calling those concerns "scare tactics" isn't helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

People have legitimate concerns, and they have the right to express those concerns on Cruise Critic.  Calling those concerns "scare tactics" isn't helpful.

Absolutely correct.  But along with rights come responsibilities.  Posting false information such as Princess or the CDC requiring 'Fit to Sail' letters and other misinformation as 'facts' is worse than not being helpful.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Absolutely correct.  But along with rights come responsibilities.  Posting false information such as Princess or the CDC requiring 'Fit to Sail' letters and other misinformation as 'facts' is worse than not being helpful.

I was the one who discussed “Fit to Sail” letters but specifically said that they were a requirement of Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.  Never did I see it in reference to Princess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mimip said:

I was the one who discussed “Fit to Sail” letters but specifically said that they were a requirement of Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.  Never did I see it in reference to Princess.

I wasn't referring to you.  There are others who have been erroneously posting that information.  You're good, you clarified your postings.  No so others. There are some who act like they know exactly what Princess is doing at their corporate headquarters and are posting their own opinions as facts, especially in reference to their refunds not coming fast enough to satisfy them.  Again, I never meant you at all.

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I wasn't referring to you.  There are others who have been erroneously posting that information.  You're good, you clarified your postings.  No so others. There are some who act like they know exactly what Princess is doing at their corporate headquarters and are posting their own opinions as facts, especially in reference to their refunds not coming fast enough to satisfy them.  Again, I never meant you at all.

when someone quotes a quote previously quoted sometimes the quoter gets mixed up with the quotee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when someone quotes a quote previously quoted sometimes the quoter gets mixed up with the quotee

That's why you always want to go right to the quotient.  Otherwise,  it's too divisive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

The ability to read and not comprehend a post is not a requirement to responding as some of the posters have demonstrated.

I do not see where anyone has claimed that PCL has required a FTS letter as of today. The possibility that PCL might require a "Fit to Sail" letter before allowing a passenger to board a cruise is very real if the passenger has "an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition" and would only be able to receive a FCC for a cruise that they might never be allowed to take. Who decides what the criteria for denying the right to board and would that be before booking?, after final payment?, or at the dock? We will wait for more and clearer information from PCL before we place any of our hard earned funds into their hands.