Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

March of the Wooden Soldiers is a version of Babes in Toyland. At least, that's what I heard.  It's probably the only Laurel & Hardy movie I've watched. Not a fan, more of an Abbott and Costello guy.  The movie is old.....even by old movie standards, it has not stood the test of time. Basically, I watch it for nostalgia. 

I've never had a desire to attend the parade in person. I agree, best viewed on TV.

Always enjoyed the Laurel and Hardy “March of the wooden soldiers “ amazing movie for 1934. I remember going to the thanksgiving parade once when I was about ten or so . 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sheal said:

DH likes to watch the day after so that he can zoom through all the commercials.  I listen to them (Dh & son) to hear what they think will happen.  They are usally surprised to see what happens, I'm not. Lol

I feel the same way about the commercials and DVR the majority of shows I watch.

39 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I don't know if I ever watched that with Laurel & Hardy? :classic_biggrin: I do remember the old "Babes in Toyland" which was kind of a creepy movie for a child. (Or maybe it was the wooden soldier one?) I remember we used to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. 

Our neighbors went and watched the parade in person in 2019. They even scored a hotel room on the parade route, by booking a year in advance. They said you have to get up really early to enter the parade route, and it is freezing cold. There are also no in/out privilages, and no restrooms. They went back to the hotel by midmorning. :classic_biggrin: So watching it on TV sounds wonderful.

I lived in NY all my life and never went to watch the parade in person.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

March of the Wooden Soldiers is a version of Babes in Toyland. At least, that's what I heard.  It's probably the only Laurel & Hardy movie I've watched. Not a fan, more of an Abbott and Costello guy.  The movie is old.....even by old movie standards, it has not stood the test of time. Basically, I watch it for nostalgia. 

I've never had a desire to attend the parade in person. I agree, best viewed on TV.

I never cared for Laurel &Harvey,also more of a fan of Abbott and Costello.

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen getting his medal. 

E33C16F6-2DE2-40D1-A5CB-11B7BE133E73.thumb.jpeg.830ba71be473169689089c2e72fc5ccc.jpeg

Congratulations to Owen and his proud parents. Way to go!!

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Sunrise this morning. Almost worth going outside at 7am. 

049D7F82-DAC9-4B42-A2BD-DFAC1A411E07.thumb.jpeg.3341c3b093df37663c70925ce9d094d9.jpeg

WOW! Those are amazing photos. I never see sunsets like that here in the midwest.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I always try to eat healthy but never on Thanksgiving.

Lenny I agree with your philosophy.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Every family has their own Thanksgiving traditions so here are a few suggestions from my own experience: 

1) If dinner is early (i.e. anytime before 5:00 pm), take a brisk walk afterwards and then go back for T-Day Dinner Round 2.  If the weater is nasty, cold, rainy, etc, even better. Thanksgiving Dinner Round 2 will be all the more tasty.

2) It's acceptable to undo your belt and top button of your pants at the table. You need room for expansion and it's considered a compliment to the chef.  At least that's what my Dad told me.

3) Mandatory nap on the couch after Round 2 but before dessert.

4) Christmas music or football games are acceptable dinner music.

5) Watch "March of the Wooden Soldiers". Why? I don't know. As a kid, it was always on TV after the Thanksgiving Day parade so it brings back nostalgic memories.

I write these all in jest but have practice all 5 at one time or another.  Especially #5....and #1....occasionally #2 & 3.

Enjoy!

I love this. I have copied and pated into my notes. Would it be tacky if I showed up in sweatpants?

• Like 3

Looks like this is the first time we all got together for Thanksgiving and had pizza for the main coarse.  Tonight we were together for about 3 hours.  The kids all left around 8pm so we could be ready for tomorrow.  Don’t want to get into details but We found out a little while ago that due to a phone call some tested and one tested positive.  To be safe the oldest daughter’s family is headed home tonight.  Sharon and I plan to still finish the food tomorrow and take it to the other 2 families in town.  Still have to say I am thankful that we had a great time together tonight.  Just sad for the kids.  
I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.  Enjoy and give thanks for the time we get to enjoy with family.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

5) Watch "March of the Wooden Soldiers". Why? I don't know. As a kid, it was always on TV after the Thanksgiving Day parade so it brings back nostalgic memories.

I write these all in jest but have practice all 5 at one time or another.  Especially #5....and #1....occasionally #2 & 3.

Enjoy!

I always loved watching The Macy's Parade and The March of the Wooden Soldiers on Thanksgiving Day. Just a tradition that started when I was a kid.  To this day I love those giant balloons and of course the Rockettes kicking up their heels.

Now when I get together with family on Thanksgiving, we each go around the table and tell sweet, endearing often funny stories about my dad.   He passed away the day before Thanksgiving 32 years ago.  I love remembering him with smiles.

• Like 7

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

635748055338301830-GettyImages-459666468.jpg.360e5dcbc520a3c1244773d75b1b9a09.jpg

Ten years ago, 2011, my son's high school marching band got invited to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  My son was the Drum Major for the band.  We as a family all went as it was the first time we'd been to New York.  There were a lot of planned tours for the students and their families.  It was quite an itinerary.  We visited Ellis Island for Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, Wall Street, Time Square, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the 9/11 Memorial site where they just finished the construction where the Twin Towers were.  It was very emotional visiting there.  One night, the Wind Ensemble performed a concert at Carnegie Hall.  We all went to a Broadway Show.  We saw How To Succeed in  Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliff.  Others saw Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.  On Thanksgiving night, we enjoyed our Farewell Thanksgiving Dinner while cruising the Hudson River and New York Harbor. There was music and dancing.  Kids, chaperones, parents and families all had a great time.

The night before the parade, we went to the area where they blow up all the balloon.  To see them down on the ground and close up, they were huge.  The subway was packed with people going there and that whole area was so packed.  But it was fun to see how they prepare for the parade.

The band had to be up all night that night for practice, etc.  They got no sleep.  We got up at 3:00a.m. to get our spot on the parade route.  It was freezing cold.  You went numb standing there all night.  

Some of the food places we visited:  Carnegie Deli, Katz Deli, Juniors, Hard Rock Cafe, Ellen's Stardust Diner, The Halal Guys (Oh, the best!)

This was truly a trip of a lifetime that we will never forget.

Edited by FromSea2ShiningSea
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Looks like this is the first time we all got together for Thanksgiving and had pizza for the main coarse.  Tonight we were together for about 3 hours.  The kids all left around 8pm so we could be ready for tomorrow.  Don’t want to get into details but We found out a little while ago that due to a phone call some tested and one tested positive.  To be safe the oldest daughter’s family is headed home tonight.  Sharon and I plan to still finish the food tomorrow and take it to the other 2 families in town.  Still have to say I am thankful that we had a great time together tonight.  Just sad for the kids.  
I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.  Enjoy and give thanks for the time we get to enjoy with family.

So sorry to hear, how disappointing for you and the family.  This D**m covid ...

Last Christmas we had it all planned out to spend it with my son and DIL and her dad , first time in 30 odd years I wasn't doing Christmas. Alex was so excited to be hosting and then a few days before the government announced a change from the rule of six to stay at home and no mixing outside the bubbles . So Christmas was just the two of us, though we did walk the dog in the woods in the afternoon and my son and DIL just happened to be walking there at the same time 😏

We put the salmon in the freezer, split the turkey in two and I parcelled up half the cooked ham for them. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5

Wishing  all our American posters a Very Happy Thanksgiving 

I was just reading a report from the BBC USA reporter who said it was the best of the holidays as it was about coming together, families and giving thanks 

I hope you all have a wonderful day 

Sue 

• Like 4

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone and safe travels to anyone traveling.  

An interesting story:

A few weeks ago I got an email that my Chewy order had been delivered.  No package to be found.  The next morning I called Chewy and they have the best customer service.  They replaced the order.  A few hours later FedEx showed up and delivered the package.  I called Chewy back and offered to pay for the replacement package which could not be stopped.  Flash forward to Friday.  I get an email that my Chewy package had been delivered.  No package.  I waited until Monday noon to call them.  My husband started a claim with FedEx.  We were home all day Friday and my husband was working in his office with a view of our very long driveway so we knew that no one had come  up the drive all day.  Tuesday here comes FedEx with our package.  It was the manager for our area.  On Friday the driver had marked all the packages as delivered, parked the truck and walked away.  When the truck didn't come back Friday evening they tried calling him but he wouldn't answer.  They finally called the police who called him and he answered and told them where he left the truck. I called Chewy to let them know what happened and that the mystery of our packages had been solved.  I was worried that they had been delivered to the wrong house but there are only 7 houses on our mile long road and the 4 closest ones would have called us to tell us they had our package.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Gloves scattered on the ice only mean one thing. Tournament Champions.  One nothing win, perfect grudge match victory.

Congrats to Owen!  He must feel great.  Scattered gloves can mean something else, but hopefully not at Owen's age. 😉

And I'm continually amazed at the beautiful sunrises and sunsets that you get.  Wow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Tomorrow should be interesting. Thanksgiving will be the first time I'm off and not working in over 30 years. I've always worked Thanksgiving so that I can get Christmas off. I am not sure what to do. We are headed over to Linda's cousin's so I guess I will sit there and eat a real Thanksgiving meal. Normally it's a store bought meal brought to work that is not very good. It will be nice to taste freshness again. I hope everyone will be with the ones they love and will give thanks to all the blessings we have. I for one am thankful to my friends here at CC.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

One of many good changes that you will quickly get used to!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Keksie said:

An interesting story:

A few weeks ago I got an email that my Chewy order had been delivered.  No package to be found.  The next morning I called Chewy and they have the best customer service.  They replaced the order.  A few hours later FedEx showed up and delivered the package.  I called Chewy back and offered to pay for the replacement package which could not be stopped.  Flash forward to Friday.  I get an email that my Chewy package had been delivered.  No package.  I waited until Monday noon to call them.  My husband started a claim with FedEx.  We were home all day Friday and my husband was working in his office with a view of our very long driveway so we knew that no one had come  up the drive all day.  Tuesday here comes FedEx with our package.  It was the manager for our area.  On Friday the driver had marked all the packages as delivered, parked the truck and walked away.  When the truck didn't come back Friday evening they tried calling him but he wouldn't answer.  They finally called the police who called him and he answered and told them where he left the truck. I called Chewy to let them know what happened and that the mystery of our packages had been solved.  I was worried that they had been delivered to the wrong house but there are only 7 houses on our mile long road and the 4 closest ones would have called us to tell us they had our package.

That's incredible.  I bet a lot of people have wanted to do that with their job, but not at the expense of everyone with a package on the truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Sorry for the kids. I sure hope we can get over all this. I wish for you and your family to have a wonderful Thanksgiving today. Cheers, Greg

7 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

This was truly a trip of a lifetime that we will never forget.

I'll say. What a great story and lifetime memory.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy Thanksgiving wishes.

Graham.

I hope you and Pauline have a joyous day. Cheers, Greg

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Wishing  all our American posters a Very Happy Thanksgiving 

I was just reading a report from the BBC USA reporter who said it was the best of the holidays as it was about coming together, families and giving thanks 

I hope you all have a wonderful day 

Sue 

Thanks Sue. So true as we give thanks when we can be close to the ones we love.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Happy Thankgiving everyone!

FB_IMG_1637542390416.thumb.jpg.6556864ef5db5c93fa63680fee8858b4.jpg

Snoopy is the best. Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend.

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

An interesting story:

that is an interesting story. I bet that happens a lot to FedEx workers.

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

One of many good changes that you will quickly get used to!

Yes Bob and I am looking forward to these changes. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Cheers, Greg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Luckynana said:

The same story with us, Pat!  In the Naples HD, we were told the bathroom vanity we were buying was on sale, so no discount...same with the refrigerator.  I always ask, anyway..nothing to lose.  When we bought our new washer and freezer here in NJ, same story.  I asked the woman to at least try for the discount.  She said it didn't qualify.  I asked her again to just try it;  she was surprised when we were actually given the discount on one of our purchases.

Yup, Lowes is getting just like RCI!!  😉 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We couldn’t find any turkey yesterday but for the first time in about 3 months found cans of caffeine free coke!  Sharon went this morning to Kroger (not as early as you) and found a turkey breast.  With that I have decided to sous vide instead of brine and cook.  This will free up the ovens for everything else being cooked and will not have to be concerned about thawing out.
When all arrived by tonight we will have homemade pizza.  Love family get togethers!

We have long since simply bought a frozen turkey breast to have for Thanksgiving.  Never more than 5 of us, and today is just the four of us.  

None of us likes dark meat, and I don't need a whole turkey for just us.  This works perfectly for us, and I don't put stuffing in it.  Bucky not fond of it, my sister is gluten free, and I don't miss it.  Just an apple and an onion...and make sure the turkey is very drunk on wine when I put it in the oven.  😄  

• Like 6