Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

For the gardeners in this thread, I just saw this video for a small and affordable seed-starting "greenhouse" that might be useful for next year's seed-starting.

I like that it can be easily moved around to make the most use of the sun, or even bring it indoors overnight when the weather isn't cooperating.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/545715677648814/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Congratulations on Jack’s 16th birthday and his award. Also, congratulations on Ryan’s 14th birthday.  

Thank you!  They are getting so big...not to mention how they both now tower over me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

It's been a busy couple of days here.  Friday was Jack's 16 Birthday.  He came home from school and announced that he and his friends had won an award for "Best Visual Effects" for their 3 minute movie that students all over Ocean County were assigned to make.   He celebrated his Birthday with friends in the backyard that night while they watched movies "under the stars" once it got dark out.  Yesterday, our granddaughter enjoyed the Taylor Swift Concert with her cousin.  She decorated a white Cowboy hat with different colored rhinestones depicting TS many concerts.  Of course, she was dressed accordingly for a TS concert!  Today is Ryan's 14th Birthday, and he celebrated with his friends doing Rock Climbing.

We certainly lucked out with the weather this weekend.  Happy Memorial Day everyone!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Congratulations on the birthdays of your grandsons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

My Wife likes it much better too, doesn't have a cooling fan either like the Z-line had where while the oven was on this loud cooling fan runs and omits hot air out into our whole room. It was crazy we had to turn the TV up while this fan was on it was so annoying, Just crazy.

I know what you mean about the noise of the cooling fan over the stove.  I hate it!

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

She did great Saturday night. No stage fright at all, but this is probably her 5th year of dance.

A couple photos.  The first one is her costume for the first routine.  Her brother was nice enough to pose with her.

IMG_7395.thumb.jpeg.b818cc672216755840e8b355f0849e67.jpeg

The second one is her genie costume.

IMG_3296.thumb.jpeg.7c94cc997bc8d872544edbc08a2f6bb1.jpeg

The third is just a frame grab from a video I shot.   

IMG_6135.thumb.jpeg.dc05fc208f1b82c60c462125ce24aed6.jpeg

She really enjoys dance .

I love these pictures. They look so cute! Thanks for posting. I hope you had a good holiday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, brillohead said:

For the gardeners in this thread, I just saw this video for a small and affordable seed-starting "greenhouse" that might be useful for next year's seed-starting.

I like that it can be easily moved around to make the most use of the sun, or even bring it indoors overnight when the weather isn't cooperating.

What a great idea!!  Thank you for sharing this, Deb!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Debbie, how often do you re-apply the new polymeric sand for the pavers?  I just asked Jim about this.  I always power-wash the pavers, ridding them of the weeks that like to pop up.  Does this keep the weeds from appearing?  

We pressure wash every Spring.  The surface cleaner we bought last year works great to avoid removal of sand/grout.  

I think it was 2020 when we last re-applied polymer sand.   Definitely does make a big difference on weeds or moss issues.   

It is fairly easy to re-apply the sand.  Just make sure you have swept off and lightly leaf blow sand off pavers otherwise the pavers get a gritty feel.

I forgot why we did not seal them. Probably something we should look into and probably can do ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I know what you mean about the noise of the cooling fan over the stove.  I hate it!

I'm not sure we are talking  about the same thing or not. Are you talking about the exhaust fan over the cook top of the range or are you talking about a cooling fan located between the top of the oven and below the cook top that takes heat out of the oven area and throws the heat out a vent between the top of the  oven door and where the dial controls are for the cook top?

Ours was the cooling fan for the oven not the exhaust fan located in our range hood. We can control the exhaust fan (on/off), in the Z-line range had a cooling fan once the oven heated up there was no way to control that fan, it came on automatically. No stopping it until turning off oven and it cooled down.

Hated it !!

• Like 1

Beautiful day for a walk along the Hudson River in Sleepy Hollow, NY, home to the Headless Horseman. Actually home to the author Washington Irving who wrote that tale.  The towns actual name was North Tarrytown until 1996 when it was changed as Washington Irving based the fictional Sleepy Hollow on the real life North Tarrytown.  The was done to attract tourists (and their $$$$) after GM closed its factory,  eliminated 4,000 jobs & a sizable tax amount it paid to the town. For those really interested,  you can read more here. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-sleepy-hollow-saved-north-tarrytown-2015-10

But far more importantly is the small lighthouse located along the Riverwalk.  The kind of lighthouse that doesn't get posts deleted,  wrists slapped or get you sent to the Monopoly room.😅

It's currently undergoing renovations & no estimated completion date posted. 

20230528_173558.thumb.jpg.80167b213e4946975b7b2b5c4203b352.jpg

Eagle-eyed @BonTexasNY will notice that is Rockland County behind the "new" Tappan Zee Bridge.

20230528_1731002.thumb.jpg.4492c2eea76a3b721e9fe2e0f7d8fe8a.jpg

Officially known as the Gov. Mario Cumuo Bridge but locals refuse to call it that. No disrespect to the former governor & Andrew Cumuo father but most people prefer the name of the old bridge it replaced.  Nothing political about it, just that everyone grew up with the old name - Tappan Zee Bridge - for 60+ years and it became part of the regions identity.  Especially since that part of the Hudson is 3 miles wide & goes by the name Tappan Zee. Zee is Dutch for Sea and the Dutch were the first European settlers to the area.   

And to put this in a East Coast/West Coast perspective for @Coralc, imagine if the Golden Gate Bridge  was renamed Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger Bridge 😆😉😇

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 14
  • Haha 8

Next Thursday we leave for for Alaska!!  Didn’t even begin to pack yet.  Oh my.  😱

Not looking forward to the flights.  Still no cruise docs or luggage tags posted but Royal tells me it’s because we are booked as part of a group & will be available once 7 days away or sooner.  The old “any day now” line sounds like to me.

• Like 13

@George C You had mentioned in an earlier post about going to Swing 46?  What did you think of the place? DW & I went some 20+ years ago and had every intention of returning but never did.

Swing 46 - located on 46th street in NYC - is a 1940's style Jazz and Supper club. Pretty cool concept. In addition to being entertained by Big Band music while eating dinner, you can also take dance lessons there too.

• Like 4

@Ocean Boy

You mentioned you recently were in Martha Vineyard - ironically there are no vineyards in the island - where the movie Jaws was filmed.

Just in time for summer, keep your eyes out for Frosty, one of 4 Great Whites making their annual migration north

"On May 21, Frosty, a juvenile weighing in at 393 pounds and measuring 9 feet 2 inches long, also pinged off the coast of Rhode Island. "

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/28/us/ny-great-white-sharks-memorial-day/index.html

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Wow!  Jim did say that the stuff is expensive, but, holy cow!!😵‍💫  Good thing I love to powerwash!

Here's the sealer that they said they would use:

Sealers (tridentprotects.com)

The sealer probably isn't cheap, but they said it would take a couple of guys about 8 hours over 2 days, so a big part of the $2K sealer quote was probably labor.  If you do it yourself, you can probably save a big chunk of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

She did great Saturday night. No stage fright at all, but this is probably her 5th year of dance.

A couple photos.  The first one is her costume for the first routine.  Her brother was nice enough to pose with her.

This brings back so many memories.  Sounds like your granddaughter is on the same path that my daughter was on...meaning lots of dance competitions, costumes, and various other ways to spend dance related money is ahead. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

But far more importantly is the small lighthouse located along the Riverwalk.  The kind of lighthouse that doesn't get posts deleted,  wrists slapped or get you sent to the Monopoly room.😅

Those darn cookies will live forever!  LOL

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Can't see the FB. We had a project for "Ag in the Classroom", where we showed kids how to start seeds in Wendy's (Baked Potato) and Olive Garden takeout containers. ☺️ Maybe something similar? The Board of Supervisors had us do happy stuff like that, even as an enforcement agency.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

It's been a busy couple of days here.  Friday was Jack's 16 Birthday.  He came home from school and announced that he and his friends had won an award for "Best Visual Effects" for their 3 minute movie that students all over Ocean County were assigned to make.   He celebrated his Birthday with friends in the backyard that night while they watched movies "under the stars" once it got dark out.  Yesterday, our granddaughter enjoyed the Taylor Swift Concert with her cousin.  She decorated a white Cowboy hat with different colored rhinestones depicting TS many concerts.  Of course, she was dressed accordingly for a TS concert!  Today is Ryan's 14th Birthday, and he celebrated with his friends doing Rock Climbing.

We certainly lucked out with the weather this weekend.  Happy Memorial Day everyone!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Happy Birthday to Jack and congrats on his award! Happy Birthday to Ryan as well.  I bet your granddaughter had a great time at the TS concert.

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

More beautiful pictures of your grandchildren are always welcome!

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Beautiful day for a walk along the Hudson River in Sleepy Hollow, NY, home to the Headless Horseman. Actually home to the author Washington Irving who wrote that tale.  The towns actual name was North Tarrytown until 1996 when it was changed as Washington Irving based the fictional Sleepy Hollow on the real life North Tarrytown.  The was done to attract tourists (and their $$$$) after GM closed its factory,  eliminated 4,000 jobs & a sizable tax amount it paid to the town. For those really interested,  you can read more here. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-sleepy-hollow-saved-north-tarrytown-2015-10

It's currently undergoing renovations & no estimated completion date posted. 

20230528_173558.thumb.jpg.80167b213e4946975b7b2b5c4203b352.jpg

Eagle-eyed @BonTexasNY will notice that is Rockland County behind the "new" Tappan Zee Bridge.

20230528_1731002.thumb.jpg.4492c2eea76a3b721e9fe2e0f7d8fe8a.jpg

Officially known as the Gov. Mario Cumuo Bridge but locals refuse to call it that. No disrespect to the former governor & Andrew Cumuo father but most people prefer the name of the old bridge it replaced.  Nothing political about it, just that everyone grew up with the old name - Tappan Zee Bridge - for 60+ years and it became part of the regions identity.  Especially since that part of the Hudson is 3 miles wide & goes by the name Tappan Zee. Zee is Dutch for Sea and the Dutch were the first European settlers to the area.   

And to put this in a East Coast/West Coast perspective for @Coralc, imagine if the Golden Gate Bridge  was renamed Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger Bridge 😆😉😇

I loved the geography lesson.  I haven't been to the new Tappan Zee Bridge.  Yes, it's the TZ bridge even to us ex-locals.  Although I've only seen it in pictures, I'm not crazy about how the new bridge looks.

I remember when the city of NY re-named 6th Avenue in Manhattan, "Avenue of The Americas".  As if...

What were they thinking?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1