Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@dani negreanu Dani, I missed your comment about your DS2 and family thinking of a move to Amsterdam. I know you posted about this before.  I'm on the outside looking in and I don't live with all the stress, uncertainty and fear you all do, but I do know this will be a very difficult decision to make.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Debbie, how often do you re-apply the new polymeric sand for the pavers?  I just asked Jim about this.  I always power-wash the pavers, ridding them of the weeks that like to pop up.  Does this keep the weeds from appearing?  

Jim and I always head to Florida while the Christmas tree is still up.  Our daughter and grandsons like to keep it up until Little Christmas, and then put it out to the curb for Sanitation to pick it up on certain days.  When we came home last month, I saw the dried-out tree against the back fence by the fire pit.  Last night after having Birthday cake for Jack, and Birthday fruit-filled watermelon for Ryan's Birthday (he prefers fruit to cake) everyone went outside to the firepit, and they (thankfully) disposed the tree.  I guess a new tradition has begun!🤔

Happy birthday wishes to Jack and Ryan.

jack-15.gif

ryan-f-3.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like we have some nice weather for the next week. No rain in our forecast.  

IMG_7418.thumb.jpeg.ada07ce0642cbadd39e420fd0ba81b41.jpeg

Yesterday, I think there was something wrong with the weather app.  It certainly wasn’t this warm.  Closer to 85°

IMG_7410.thumb.jpeg.f7507c83ec7fd5146671b1f611fbcbf2.jpeg

Today, we will be picking ups couple new plants.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Here's the sealer that they said they would use:

Sealers (tridentprotects.com)

The sealer probably isn't cheap, but they said it would take a couple of guys about 8 hours over 2 days, so a big part of the $2K sealer quote was probably labor.  If you do it yourself, you can probably save a big chunk of money.

While on pavers and sealers......we have tile floors in our new home. Should I be sealing the grout as a precaution and how. Please and thank you for any input from our resident home experts.

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Can't see the FB. We had a project for "Ag in the Classroom", where we showed kids how to start seeds in Wendy's (Baked Potato) and Olive Garden takeout containers. ☺️ Maybe something similar? The Board of Supervisors had us do happy stuff like that, even as an enforcement agency.

That's odd, I didn't think you needed to sign in to FB to see the reels there.

Anyway, the person used toilet paper tubes cut in half and filled with seed-starter soil in the drawers of one of these little carts:

804966e7-286a-4910-b0ff-3ad16ed5245b_1.0e50319765d237ec24f4da7c98721abe.webp.31d298522911b661389dfbb976f28285.webp

The sunlight can enter, and the closed drawers can retain humidity and heat.  The whole thing can be rolled around to take advantage of the sun's movement, or it can be brought inside on chilly days/nights.  You can even open the drawers one at a time to get direct sunlight or release heat/humidity as needed.  And the mess stays contained inside the drawers, and the whole thing can be sprayed out with a hose for cleanup when you transplant the seedlings.

I thought it was ingenious!  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

While on pavers and sealers......we have tile floors in our new home. Should I be sealing the grout as a precaution and how. Please and thank you for any input from our resident home experts.

We put a new tile floor in our kitchen in Ohio many years ago.  We had the grout sealed.  I think it makes the grout last longer and helps keep it from getting stained due to any spills.  The kitchen remodelers did the work and I don't remember exactly what they did.  I'm sure Google/YouTube would give you a good answer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Happy Birthday to Jack and congrats on his award! Happy Birthday to Ryan as well.  I bet your granddaughter had a great time at the TS concert.

More beautiful pictures of your grandchildren are always welcome!

I loved the geography lesson.  I haven't been to the new Tappan Zee Bridge.  Yes, it's the TZ bridge even to us ex-locals.  Although I've only seen it in pictures, I'm not crazy about how the new bridge looks.

I remember when the city of NY re-named 6th Avenue in Manhattan, "Avenue of The Americas".  As if...

What were they thinking?

You will be amazed by the width of the new TZ Bridge,you could land a jet liner on it now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That's odd, I didn't think you needed to sign in to FB to see the reels there.

Anyway, the person used toilet paper tubes cut in half and filled with seed-starter soil in the drawers of one of these little carts:

804966e7-286a-4910-b0ff-3ad16ed5245b_1.0e50319765d237ec24f4da7c98721abe.webp.31d298522911b661389dfbb976f28285.webp

The sunlight can enter, and the closed drawers can retain humidity and heat.  The whole thing can be rolled around to take advantage of the sun's movement, or it can be brought inside on chilly days/nights.  You can even open the drawers one at a time to get direct sunlight or release heat/humidity as needed.  And the mess stays contained inside the drawers, and the whole thing can be sprayed out with a hose for cleanup when you transplant the seedlings.

I thought it was ingenious!  

image.png.4122dda32ef497e4d92d154e6c9c9b8c.png

• Haha 22

30 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

When we had new tile floors in our house in Texas we had the installers seal them.  Much easier to clean and the grout stayed nice.  We had a new tile floor put in other rooms later and sealed them ourselves.  We got the product at Home Depot and followed the directions on the bottle.  It was easy enough to do and the results seemed the same.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I definitely would. Our last house had white tiles with white grout in the kitchen and family room, all the way to the front door. The grout was filthy- we ended up regrouting, which I am never doing again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Coming right along,maybe just maybe put down some stain tomorrow.

Still raining here,the garden loves it.

It’s looking great. Send rain our way please. We have had Any for almost 2 weeks on none on the 2 week forecast as on now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@George C You had mentioned in an earlier post about going to Swing 46?  What did you think of the place? DW & I went some 20+ years ago and had every intention of returning but never did.

Swing 46 - located on 46th street in NYC - is a 1940's style Jazz and Supper club. Pretty cool concept. In addition to being entertained by Big Band music while eating dinner, you can also take dance lessons there too.

We like swing 46 but main reason we went there was my cousin was playing drums with the band , depending a night and time I have seen large bands with a dozen musicians and one night there was just 4 . We also like “don’t tell your mama “ which has live music also and just a few doors away , several nice bars and restaurants on the same block we almost always go to Becco for itilian food twice each visit . Most of the restaurants and bars have been there for more than 50 years.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It’s looking great. Send rain our way please. We have had Any for almost 2 weeks on none on the 2 week forecast as on now. 

Us either.  We may have to start watering the lawn this week.  

Maybe I need one of those lawns like Greg has, that doesn’t need watering. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Next Thursday we leave for for Alaska!!  Didn’t even begin to pack yet.  Oh my.  😱

Not looking forward to the flights.  Still no cruise docs or luggage tags posted but Royal tells me it’s because we are booked as part of a group & will be available once 7 days away or sooner.  The old “any day now” line sounds like to me.

Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lots of rain here,it won't stop. They are building a house next door to us.

It never dries out here. 😞

I know though in July and August we will be praying like you are now for rain.

20230530_102659.thumb.jpg.78b087c50d30fa9c722d8b5720a3e2ac.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

You will be amazed by the width of the new TZ Bridge,you could land a jet liner on it now.

I just googled.  At 8 lanes plus bus lanes and shoulders, I can just imagine how wide it is. I hardly ever traveled on the old TZ bridge during rush hour, so I had no idea what the need was for such a wide bridge.

Your new floor is lovely with your new kitchen, but my eyes are drawn to that luscious outdoor property you have.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Coming right along,maybe just maybe put down some stain tomorrow.

Still raining here,the garden loves it.

20230530_092712.jpg

20230530_092658.jpg

20230530_092728.jpg

20230530_092720.jpg

20230530_092742.jpg

The floor is looking nice even before the stain.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Would that be a B737 or an A380? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

The TZ bridge is 183 ft wide, and the widest 737 (737-MAX) has a 117ft wing span.  That fits and would be amazing to see it land on the bridge.

Unfortunately, the A380 is significantly larger and has a wing span of 261ft.  (Some clipping will occur, DO NOT ATTEMPT)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. 😁

dp

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I just googled.  At 8 lanes plus bus lanes and shoulders, I can just imagine how wide it is. I hardly ever traveled on the old TZ bridge during rush hour, so I had no idea what the need was for such a wide bridge.

Your new floor is lovely with your new kitchen, but my eyes are drawn to that luscious outdoor property you have.

The old TZ bridge was super congested even when it wasn't rush hour. 😞 This is a huge improvement.

They are sanded the floor for the 3  time now, each time using a finer grit sand paper.

Looks like staining will begin tomorrow.

Here is a couple pictures of a couple Lillies  near our front walkway leading to the front porch.

One was taken about 6 days ago and one just a few minutes ago. Finally the sun is coming out and the rain has stopped.

There are still a lot more buds yet to bloom 🙂

20230526_074101.thumb.jpg.6768937efe7c0db1ced1335234685d08.jpg

20230530_113502.thumb.jpg.6831ee86bf14ee411c9298e39f5b67fc.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 15

37 minutes ago, dpostman said:

The TZ bridge is 183 ft wide, and the widest 737 (737-MAX) has a 117ft wing span.  That fits and would be amazing to see it land on the bridge.

Unfortunately, the A380 is significantly larger and has a wing span of 261ft.  (Some clipping will occur, DO NOT ATTEMPT)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. 😁

dp

I want to know how many concrete trucks it took to make the bridge?😮

I did read though 138,000 vehicles cross the bridge daily?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Happy Birthday to Jack and congrats on his award! Happy Birthday to Ryan as well.  I bet your granddaughter had a great time at the TS concert.

More beautiful pictures of your grandchildren are always welcome!

I loved the geography lesson.  I haven't been to the new Tappan Zee Bridge.  Yes, it's the TZ bridge even to us ex-locals.  Although I've only seen it in pictures, I'm not crazy about how the new bridge looks.

I remember when the city of NY re-named 6th Avenue in Manhattan, "Avenue of The Americas".  As if...

What were they thinking?

I still refer to it as 6th.Ave.I worked at 1212 6th.Ave .