Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Finally get our house back,after kitchen remodel  and hardwood floor refinishing.

Master Bedroom floor completed today,just waiting for it dry before putting back our bedroom furniture and bed.

Finally get to enjoy our house again.

20230608_152911.jpg

20230608_152924.jpg

20230608_152915.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 23

31 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

How long are you going to stay in Vancouver?  Do you have any plans for while you are there?

We’re going to be in Vancouver in September for 3 days . Do you have any restaurant recommendations? Our hotel is on Burrard St near the art museum.  How is Cin Cin ? 

Thank you . 

• Like 1

So yesterday, as we were traveling via bus, through San Francisco, to get to our son’s house in the North Bay, the bus had to detour due to traffic backups. 

The route he took went past several homeless encampments, and it was just another reminder of why we never visit the city anymore, when we visit.  What a horrible social experiment they have going on, and it only gets worse.  It is a shame, because San Francisco was a nice place, not that long ago.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

We attended our grandson’s 5th grade graduation this morning.   It was a really nice program, and each of the kids had written a short speech to give.  I guess that is an advantage of a small school, since there were only 57.  Now he will be moving up to a middle school which is a little closer to his house.  

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Finally get our house back,after kitchen remodel  and hardwood floor refinishing.

Master Bedroom floor completed today,just waiting for it dry before putting back our bedroom furniture and bed.

20230608_152911.jpg

20230608_152924.jpg

20230608_152915.jpg

The floor looks great.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NHProud said:

He is doing well .  Adding my congratulations to you and your grandkids !  They are so talented. 

Thank you, Judy.  They amaze me.   That's good to hear that he is doing so well.  My Jim still has bad days since his knee replacement.  Can't win them all, I guess.🫤

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

+ 1  @Luckynana Maryann. I bet you're bursting with well deserved pride 😘

Thank you so much, Dani!  They do make us so proud!🥰

• Like 1

I found a small bump on Minnie’s head when scratching between her ears.  Both cats had their annual shots last September when we lived in Georgia so I was planning on calling in July as new patients here in Florida to get them appointments in August.  Which means I don’t have a vet yet.  I called the one I’d planned to use and soonest they could see her was the 16th.  Ok, it’s not a life threatening thing…I was put on the cancellation list and told I was the only one on it.  I got a call two hours later that there had been a cancellation and they could see us tomorrow at 10!  Great!!  I hope Minnie forgives me…

The girls napping together this evening.

IMG_5128.jpeg

• Like 23

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Enjoy! It makes sense that the ocean breezes might disperse the haze more than the inland areas.    And while I can't speak for the Jersey shore, things are looking better in my area (about 45-60 minutes North of NYC).  

Thank you, HBE!  We totally enjoyed the Play.  Very talented actors and great singing voices;  one of the girls voices was phenomenal with the notes she was reaching.  We ate at the Chicken Or The Egg afterwards.  While we still had the smoke here today (though not as bad as yesterday and last night), it was pretty good in LBI.  Once we got on the Pkwy heading home, however, we were reminded of the smoke.  Again, not as bad as yesterday, thank goodness.

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Is this dog cute or what!IMG_0864.thumb.jpeg.5fba302fae9d744ae1f593e64bad4d6d.jpeg

I love this picture of Sherlock!  He looks not only very sweet, but I love the way he is looks like he is posing!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

20230608_152911.jpg

20230608_152924.jpg

20230608_152915.jpg

The floors look great, Jimbo!  Are you all done with your home now?  You've done so much work during the past year;  all beautifully done!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:54 PM, George C said:

My only time in a tent was in basic training and I didn’t care for it.

My last time was when I was pregnant with my son, who is now 23yo.  I almost got divorced that weekend, too... I am NOT a camper type of person!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

The route he took went past several homeless encampments, and it was just another reminder of why we never visit the city anymore, when we visit.  What a horrible social experiment they have going on, and it only gets worse.  It is a shame, because San Francisco was a nice place, not that long ago.  

This makes me so sad, and so angry!!  I'm so glad we visited San Francisco before this ugliness came about.😔

Congratulations once again on Lucas' Graduation!!!!!!!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Totally agree. After I lost my best friend, I blamed myself. I thought why wasn’t I there for him? Why could I not see it? After going to therapy about it, I remember the therapist telling me, suicide is a selfish act. They don’t think about the impact it will have on loved ones. It helped me believe that it wasn’t my fault. Obviously there were a lot of factors that led Brad to do what he did. I understand those now but I still think about him everyday. Part of my healing was starting a FB page called The Fans of Brad Millison. It became a place where all the people that knew and loved him could tell stories and share emotions.

When I was in nursing school, my Psych Nursing instructor explained it this way, which was the first time it "made sense" to me:

When someone is depressed / mentally ill, their brain doesn't think normally -- just like when someone has diabetes, their pancreas doesn't make insulin normally.  They don't think about how much it's going to hurt everyone else when they die... they honestly believe that the world and all their loved ones will be better off if they're gone.  It's that altered thought process that allows them to go through with it -- they think they're helping us instead of hurting us.  It wasn't until she explained it that way (the brain being broken / not thinking properly) that it made sense to me.  

As for being there for / seeing the signs in your friend, that same instructor, who had worked in the local psychiatric hospital for a couple decades, and also went back to graduate school to become a licensed therapist herself in addition to being an experienced psychiatric nurse, was unable to prevent the suicide of her own fiance (who was bipolar aka manic-depressive).  Depression is deceptively treacherous.  

And on the subject of suicide, I had a sad event at work in the ER this week.  We have a radio to hear EMS and fire communications (it allows us to prepare ahead of time for traumas, etc.), and there was a call for a 21yo who had hung themselves, and family was attempting CPR prior to EMS arrival.  The paramedic ended up calling in to have our doctor pronounce Time of Death at the scene, so the patient never even came in to our facility, but it was still sobering to all of us that heard it.  At 21yo you have your whole entire life ahead of you... until you don't.  So sad, and so unnecessary. 

Hardly a day goes by that we don't have at least one suicidal patient in our ER, and finding placement for them at an inpatient facility is extremely difficult.  We often end up having to transport them 3-4 hours away (one way), and that usually takes a minimum of 24 hours to even be able to find that placement.  This country REALLY needs to improve access to mental health treatment for all demographics.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

When I was in nursing school, my Psych Nursing instructor explained it this way, which was the first time it "made sense" to me:

When someone is depressed / mentally ill, their brain doesn't think normally -- just like when someone has diabetes, their pancreas doesn't make insulin normally.  They don't think about how much it's going to hurt everyone else when they die... they honestly believe that the world and all their loved ones will be better off if they're gone.  It's that altered thought process that allows them to go through with it -- they think they're helping us instead of hurting us.  It wasn't until she explained it that way (the brain being broken / not thinking properly) that it made sense to me.  

As for being there for / seeing the signs in your friend, that same instructor, who had worked in the local psychiatric hospital for a couple decades, and also went back to graduate school to become a licensed therapist herself in addition to being an experienced psychiatric nurse, was unable to prevent the suicide of her own fiance (who was bipolar aka manic-depressive).  Depression is deceptively treacherous.  

And on the subject of suicide, I had a sad event at work in the ER this week.  We have a radio to hear EMS and fire communications (it allows us to prepare ahead of time for traumas, etc.), and there was a call for a 21yo who had hung themselves, and family was attempting CPR prior to EMS arrival.  The paramedic ended up calling in to have our doctor pronounce Time of Death at the scene, so the patient never even came in to our facility, but it was still sobering to all of us that heard it.  At 21yo you have your whole entire life ahead of you... until you don't.  So sad, and so unnecessary. 

Hardly a day goes by that we don't have at least one suicidal patient in our ER, and finding placement for them at an inpatient facility is extremely difficult.  We often end up having to transport them 3-4 hours away (one way), and that usually takes a minimum of 24 hours to even be able to find that placement.  This country REALLY needs to improve access to mental health treatment for all demographics.  

Thanks for your post. That’s so true. And yes we need to improve and fund mental health. It’s in all our best interests.

• Like 6

On 6/6/2023 at 11:33 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Now let’s have some fun with Bruno Mars - converted.

Thanks for converting Helen's videos, John!  And thanks for sharing your videos, Helen!

I had a thought while watching this one.... can you imagine being the person who "choreographs" these water shows?  

Person 1: What do you do?
Person 2: I'm a choreographer.
Person 1: What do you choreograph for? (thinking Hollywood movies, tv shows, Broadway musicals, children's dance recitals, etc.)
Person 2: I choreograph water.  
Person 1: .......................

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Okay, after all the Las Vegas posts here, my "new" cousin just posted this on FB:

Ok my frequent Vegas peeps…I need recommendations on places to eat and things to not miss. Got a couple 21 year olds headed there for their birthdays in a couple weeks. TIA

So, what are your suggestions, those of you who are LV regulars?  She's taking her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend to Vegas later this month, since they both recently turned 21yo.  Any recommendations?

• Like 1

Tonight I received an e-mail inviting me to join a creative writing for people with Parkinson’s group.I have not written anything since 2000 .

Many of my short stories and poems have been published since I began writing in 1964.

I have until next Wednesday to either  write something new or to submit something that I previously wrote.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

So yesterday, as we were traveling via bus, through San Francisco, to get to our son’s house in the North Bay, the bus had to detour due to traffic backups. 

Sadly this is so and continues to get worse and worse.  SF was always my go to place for a day trip.  I loved the vibrancy of the city.  There were so many great restaurant.  There was a Burmese place called The Burma Superstar that was absolutely fabulous.  I'd make the 2 1/2 hour drive just to eat there. 

The last time I was there was back in November for a matinee presentation of Frozen with my GD.  I was quickly reminded why I hadn't been in a few years.

I linked The Burma Superstar above.  If any of you do find yourselves there I highly recommend it.  The owners are fabulous people.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I understand, people have been looking for signs of life from me.  Still alive. Doing fine.  Busy, busy, busy.  Will finish my cruise thread sometime.  Off to Bama tomorrow, stopping in Memphis to pick up the Airstream after its conversion.  Got the new truck yesterday, owe a monstrous amount of money on that.  So far I like it.  Trying to figure out how to pay for it without tax consequences.  

Love

jc

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1