Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Have a wonderful time in LBI Debbie and Eric, but don't overdo it too much with all of the painting you plan on doing.

I cannot wait to get there and settle in.    Very busy couple of days preparing to be away for the next couple of weeks.     Between packing, yardwork, some minor fall/halloween decorations to make the home look lived in while away, cleaning the house and work stuff, etc. etc.     We plan on living by 11 am tomorrow then stop at the Vincentown Diner for lunch (1/2 point for us).    

Eric did pick up the paint today and looks like they got the order right, hopefully I will like the colors when I open up the cans at the house.  

Plan on cleaning out extra bedrooms and extra bath to get them ready for paint first then make our way to the rest of the house.    I want to be able to have the windows open to help with the paint odor.    Eric said he got the kind of paint that is low or no odor, we'll see, normally they all bother me.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

All the rain this summer really led to a bumper crop for crab apples too.  We raked and shoveled way too many of them yesterday.  We have a yard waste pickup at this time of year on a bizarre schedule this year.  Used to be every two weeks for the fall but it was Friday and then in two weeks but then not for a month, so we are trying to get rid of as much as we can.  Our barrels do not get picked up be the truck itself though, so we can't make them too heavy for them to be picked up or the men leave them.  I wish they would get the trucks that lift the barrels themselves like the other towns use around here.

We have had big delays with our local trash service, especially the yard waste.   Our trash sat for over 3 weeks and was finally picked up last week.      They say they are doing everything they can to get back on track for weekly pick up.    

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Wow!  The meeting I attended was in the New City Court building which is in Clarkstown.

May I ask where your MIL lived at that time?

I lived in Tappan then moved to New City.

I remember Nyack had the best annual street fair and great meandering quaint shopping.

I used to often pass Rosie O'Donnell's house (previously owned by Helen Hayes) in Nyack.

You may ask. 🙂

Valley Cottage.  Which is part of the Town of Clarkstown but the school district was Nyack, not Clarkstown. Go figure. (It had something to do with Nyack schools being physically closer than Clarkstown)   And for some reason, I thought the meeting took place at a school but now that you mentioned New City courthouse, it could have been there.  I'd ask but MIL has long since passed.

I was was raised and lived in Congers until 1993. Most of my time in Nyack was enjoying the night life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

We did that as kids too. WTH were we thinking????

I don’t think we were thinking.  A friend’s brother had just sat down a beer on the back deck.  I remember shooting it and it squirted all over.  I thought it was funny but he didn’t.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Keksie said:

His original name was Big Boy.  He was owned by a couple as a barn cat.  I was at the vet's office waiting on my dog to be finished for her glucose curve so it was the very end of the day.  A man comes in and says he is there to pick up Big Boy.  They gave him the price at which point he very loudly said his wife had not told him it would be that much.  He would have just shot him instead.  He stormed out and never came back.  I thought about it over night and the next morning I stopped by and asked what happened to pets not claimed.  They said are you talking about Big Boy because the wife had showed up and for a greatly reduced amount picked him up.  Two weeks later I get a call and they said that Big Boy was back.  He had a toe removed and they were supposed to change his bandage and give him meds.  They had not done that so his foot was worse.  I said that if the owners would give up ownership I would take him and pay his bills.  They had to take off another toe and he got fixed.  He is the best cat.  Super personality.  Nothing bothers him and he loves my husband.  He has a BB in his side from before and it was obvious he had never been fed.  The first night he ate 3 bowls of food and it took awhile for him to figure out there would always be food.  

That's Great!    You were there just at the right time to save his life and I am sure he gives back his love to you everyday.😍

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, derorim said:

Has anyone noticed that after they have talked out loud about a company or item, it soon shows up in advertisements on your FB?  That really bothers me.  I'm not real sure if it's my phone or Alexa device that's listening in.  Probably both.

I have known many that it happened.  I don’t do FB but the wife and others have said it happens.  I wonder if you can look at the app and see if you gave it permission to use your mic?

6 hours ago, derorim said:

Marcel loves his catnip-infused scratcher box. 

20211003_072248.thumb.jpg.8f6eb65458db744519f67ee619a994ee.jpg

Maybe he's had a little bit too much catnip, though.  He looks a bit hung over this morning. 

20211004_075838.thumb.jpg.c81941fb104bae28e45313f3b56ca140.jpg

Another beautiful kitty.

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

...AND check the Bella cruise page.  

Bella has a FB cruise page? I guess I'll have to go and find it.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

We did that as kids too. WTH were we thinking????

Kids can be so dumb. We used to throw fire crackers at each other. 🙄 Thank goodness we weren't hurt. 

• Like 2

Maybe he's had a little bit too much catnip, though.  He looks a bit hung over this morning. 

He is Gorgeous!     I have seen that look after catnip too!    Last week I cut a bunch of fresh catnip and dried it out to store in container for winter.   Of course, they had to help while I was de-stemming it.     Eva definitely had too much she was bouncing off the walls last night while we were watching TV.      But she crashed hard in bed and don't think she moved all night.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have had big delays with our local trash service, especially the yard waste.   Our trash sat for over 3 weeks and was finally picked up last week.      They say they are doing everything they can to get back on track for weekly pick up.    

Our trash is being picked up each week and recycling every other week, sometimes a day late, but they are on schedule.  The yard waste schedule is just strange this year.  They publish the yard waste pickup schedule at the beginning of the year and their plan all along was not to be every two weeks and have month gaps at times.  They are even going to have pickups into December this year which is very late for us.  Not sure if they had someone new doing the schedule or what but we will put more in our compost pile this year, just not the crab apples, they attract enough wild life as it is.

59 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks Lenny.

What a cute.

How long did it take for the kitty to realize there would always be food? We have a cat like that who was a bag of bones when I found her and she is now 15 pds. She is such a loving cat that I thought she must have had a loving family before. It doesn't sound like when Big Boy was with the other family he wasn't loved to much. How could someone say they would just shot him if he had know about the amount of money? Horrible people. So glad you were there to save him.

It took about a month for him to realize that the food bowl stayed full.  When we first brought him home he had an ecollar and had to be kept away from the other cats until his foot healed.  My husband would put him on the bed, take off the collar and watch football with him.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We are having the same problems with yard waste pickup.  The city has said to just leave it at the curb, and they will eventually get to it.  Well, we did that, but then I noticed a week later the bag of uncollected grass clippings had holes in it and the bag's contents were spilling onto the street.  I wasn't sure if something was trying to get, or trying to get out.  A few days ago I saw there were crows pecking at the bag!  I surrendered and put the bag into the regular garbage can.

No pictures today.  Everyone is probably getting bored with my lake pictures now that all those beautiful cruise pictures are being posted. 

We did get outside and walked 12 miles today between rain showers.  Enjoying a glass of wine now, while following some of the cruise reports. 

• Like 1

Beautiful cat.  I love his coloration.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He is Gorgeous!     I have seen that look after catnip too!    Last week I cut a bunch of fresh catnip and dried it out to store in container for winter.   Of course, they had to help while I was de-stemming it.     Eva definitely had too much she was bouncing off the walls last night while we were watching TV.      But she crashed hard in bed and don't think she moved all night.   

I grew catnip one year.  I gave the freshly picked product to Marcel and he became rather aggressive towards Miss Priss.  That was the end of that!  He only got limited quantities of dried catnip after that.  He's an "only child" now, so maybe I'll try the home grown stuff again. 

Also, maybe @dani negreanu and @island ladyand I need to try catnip to help us sleep better.  🙂 

Edited by derorim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

A BB is a little round pellet used in a BB gun. There were paper targets available for purchase. They were meant for play, not to injure.
 Most American boys used to have them. I used to shoot my brothers’ guns, the only weapons I have ever fired. 
we would put tin cans on a post and shoot at them. 
I guess they’re still available if there are still people shooting small animals like cats snd dogs.  

Yes, BB guns are still available.    I saw some recently for sale at Dicks Sporting Goods.      If used properly they can be fun for target shooting but to shot a cat or dog, that is HORRIBLE!     Someone shoot the BB at those people and see how they like it.   

• Like 1

Just now, h20skibum said:

No pictures today.  Everyone is probably getting bored with my lake pictures now that all those beautiful cruise pictures are being posted. 

We did get outside and walked 12 miles today between rain showers.  Enjoying a glass of wine now, while following some of the cruise reports. 

Wow, 12 miles.  I am pleased with myself if I walk more than a mile.  Please don't stop with the lake pictures, they are wonderful.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I never sleep well I toss and turn all night.

I just checked my security preferences and I have notifications turned off for Facebook but I still get a lot of spam. I even have some spam and ad blocker apps installed. Still no use.

It was a nightmare to delete my mothers Facebook account after she passed away. I had to send death certificates and fill out out all kinds of forms.

Brilliant on the idea of the separate account.

Totally agree Bob. It's horrible.

For FB I use my middle name and my grandmothers maiden name.    I rarely go on FB but when I do I like to be incognito.    

• Like 1

Just saw the story that William Shatner is going where no old man has gone before.  He is going to space on Blue Horizon on October 12th.

Maybe that will make Royal rethink some of the excursions they have a maximum age of 70.  Shatner is 90. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Just saw the story that William Shatner is going where no old man has gone before.  He is going to space on Blue Horizon on October 12th.

Maybe that will make Royal rethink some of the excursions they have a maximum age of 70.  Shatner is 90. 

That's funny!   Eric just mentioned this to me moments ago and I asked if he Shatner is getting paid to do it or does he have to pay them.   I didn't realize he is 90.    Good for him!    I am sure it will be a Blast🤣

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, derorim said:

Also, maybe @dani negreanu and @island ladyand I need to try catnip to help us sleep better.  🙂 

Believe me, Joy,  I've tried everything to fall asleep ... naturals and meds....

Catnip -- googled it, no dice... looked for the Hebrew translation... it says something about cats, but I haven't the foggiest idea what's the other word/substance is.

Hebrew not being my mother tongue "rises his ugly head", just kidding, but frustrating nonetheless.

Pictures show cats eating plants??? That's "catnip" ??

OK, found the translation in Romanian... "cat's [green] grass".....

Edited by dani negreanu
translation in Romanian
  • Like 2