Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Wow, thanks for posting.  The kids gave me a pasta attachment for my Kitchenaid a while back.  I have put off making pasta because I have not gotten a noodle rack yet.  I have never thought of of using a hanger.  Great idea. 

Before I got a pasta rack, I used to hang the pasta on string between kitchen cabinets. It made kind of hard to walk through the kitchen, but it worked! I have an Atlas Wellness machine, which does a nice job.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I did the 23 and me DNA test...  All I learned is I have very boring DNA 🙂  I am 99.9% European. 

I'm really only looking at confirming paternity without having to involve my biological mother in the process.  I was planning on waiting until she's gone, then ask one of her stepkids to do a DNA test, but when Ancestry.com test was half-off, I figured it doesn't hurt to try.

All I need is one match on the paternal side to confirm what everyone has always suspected but my bio-mother denies.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Finally had my graduation.  Got to wear my red gown, I had it on through lunch and got quite attached to it.  It feels strange that this is really the end of me coming to Sheffield University, I have been a part time student and the whole journey from application to graduation has been ten years ,! !

I don’t share many photos but I am sharing today’s. 

FC90A5B4-CE4F-4B7E-8FFD-83140A1EB8DB.thumb.jpeg.9da8e6ee2be0a58a4a40ca284804554c.jpeg

Congratulations on your graduation.  Well done!

Finally had my graduation.  Got to wear my red gown, I had it on through lunch and got quite attached to it.  It feels strange that this is really the end of me coming to Sheffield University, I have been a part time student and the whole journey from application to graduation has been ten years ,! !

FC90A5B4-CE4F-4B7E-8FFD-83140A1EB8DB.thumb.jpeg.9da8e6ee2be0a58a4a40ca284804554c.jpeg

Congratulations,  well done 🎉🥂

Congratulations for a successful end to a long journey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Very many congratulations. You look radiant in your red graduation gown

Can you tell us what your degree is in?

🥂

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

Great  photo ! Congratulations on your milestone. I hope you are celebrating by taking a cruise.

1 hour ago, George C said:

I don’t normally believe in buying extended warranty but I do for fridge , had one by Best Buy and if they can’t fix it in 30 days they will give you the original cost of the appliance. We got a new fridge because ice maker broke. 

Yes we always buy the extended warranty. Especially for cars. We had an extended warranty on the old fridge but it ran out. Sales guy said that the cost of buying new filters will pay for the warranty since we buy the filters and send in the receipts and we are reimbursed.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm interested in what you think about the craft ice.  We will soon be in the market for a new fridge, because I will likely beat our existing Samsung fridge with a hammer the next time the ice maker freezes over (happens about once every 3 weeks now).  Extremely frustrating so a new fridge from Samsung is a hard no.  The LGs look nice and the craft ice is an interesting idea.

Im interested in it too. I’ll report back. I like the idea that it has two ice makers. We go through a lot of ice. Sales guy showed me the size of the ice balls. They are smaller than my ice balls. The new ones about golf ball size. I hope they they work well. If not I’ll continue to make mine but use the tray to store them.

57 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

From one Samsung owner to another, how satisfying would it be to actually do this 😂???

I will never buy a Samsung anything. I’ve had such bad luck with their products.

• Like 3

Congrats! Great picture! 

• Like 1

Let me add my congratulations to you on achieving such a wonderful milestone.  Lovely picture!

• Like 1

Congratulations, what a great accomplishment. You look quite splendid.

How old were you when you started if you don't mind me asking.  I went back to Uni when I was 30 years old. I was definitely a more  "mature" student than the others 18 year olds in those first year classes.  I felt odd and It was a very nerve wracking experience initially. The farther along I got the less odd I became.

• Like 3

Way to go!  That's an awesome accomplishment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Congratulations. 🥂 🍾 🎉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Congratulations on your graduation.  Well done!

I have come back from a family meal to so many lovely messages.  Thank you all.  

I have never been much for ceremony, I only went through this for my elderly parents’ sake, but wearing that red gown has made me feel quite proud.  

My degree is in ‘Human Communication Sciences’, by profession I was a speech and language therapist (speech pathologist in US).  My study was about how professionals support parents of children with speech difficulties in carrying out their speech homework.  Doing a full time job at the same time was hard.  The pandemic slowed things down.  I started in May 2013 but did not submit my thesis until October 2021 by which time I was 62 yrs.  

Pre pandemic I think it was cruises that kept me going.  I was working so hard but always had a cruise to look forward to.  We have our first post-covid cruise in May.  Just a five day Croatia and Slovenia, but it is a cruise.  😀😀😀

1 hour ago, retiredgram said:

Congratulations for a successful end to a long journey.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Very many congratulations. You look radiant in your red graduation gown

Can you tell us what your degree is in?

🥂

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Great  photo ! Congratulations on your milestone. I hope you are celebrating by taking a cruise.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Congrats! Great picture! 

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Let me add my congratulations to you on achieving such a wonderful milestone.  Lovely picture!

41 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@ollienbertsmum + 1  🍷 💐

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

Congratulations,  well done 🎉🥂

40 minutes ago, derorim said:

Way to go!  That's an awesome accomplishment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

How old were you when you started if you don't mind me asking.  I went back to Uni when I was 30 years old. I was definitely a more  "mature" student than the others 18 year olds in those first year classes.  I felt odd and It was a very nerve wracking experience initially. The farther along I got the less odd I became.

I have done everything as a part time student. I have continued my day job.  All my learning has been directed at learning how to do my day job better.   I started my Masters when I was 48 yrs.  All the other students on that course were at a similar point in their careers.  It was however quite mature compared to your 30 years- you would have been the baby in the class. 

My phd was also part time, I came across to Sheffield a couple of times a year.  At the beginning, sitting in the library felt awkward, especially the very first day when I was sitting in front of a library computer and could not see how to turn it on.  I had been using computers for years but not this model.  I had to sit for ages making paper notes before someone opposite came and pushed a button at the side.  I know the meaning of ‘Imposter syndrome’.  I felt old enough to be the granny of everyone around me.  I have however learnt that this does not matter.  There is nothing wrong with Granny power.  

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I started in May 2013 but did not submit my thesis until October 2021 by which time I was 62 yrs.  

7 minutes ago, derorim said:

I must say, you are a very young looking 63!

I have to agree.  Congratulations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

My degree is in ‘Human Communication Sciences’, by profession I was a speech and language therapist (speech pathologist in US).

During my long career, I've typed so many Ph.D. theses, but very few "remained" with me...

One of them was written by a speech therapist, who videotaped deaf kids [at the time, 1998, a very break through approach to research], in order to see how they interact with other deaf kids in a specialized center -- this is one of the articles she published.

Parent Report of the Development of Auditory Skills in Infants and Toddlers Who Use Hearing Aids -- Drorit Ben-Itzhak et al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Expensive day today. 

Our Refrigerator’s water dispenser quit working before Christmas and now the fan went out. The fridge is dying and it would cost a lot to even get it fixed. So we bought a new LG fridge with French Doors, two pull out freezer drawers and two ice makers one being a custom craft ice maker ended up spending even though there was a sale over $3400. Sales guy says you are lucky to get 5-7 years out of a fridge. Ours at least lasted 10 years but makes me mad that manufacturers deliberately make appliances to not last. 

Yes, my former neighbors bought that same LG fridge last fall and the salesperson didn't fully explain the second ice maker that makes the "craft" ice.  They kept hearing this loud banging and couldn't figure it out at first.  Finally they saw the second ice maker and were so happy to get those "balls of ice"!  My DH would love that too!😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Congratulations!!!! 🍾

You must be thrilled about this accomplishment!

Your photo really captures your joy! 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Congratulations on your Graduation!!  I'm sure your children are so very proud of you.  What a wonderful achievement!!

• Like 3

Out with the Old and in with the New !

Photo of property at 2856 Atwoods Dr, Draper, VA 24324

Fireplace Redone

20230101_150224.jpg

Close Up of Countertop

20230107_102615.jpg

The told wall between Old Kitchen and Living Room was taken down

20230113_164245.jpg

Fridge in the Corner on an Angle

20230113_164256.jpg

Z-Line Gas Range

20230113_164307.jpg

Copper Sink isn't as Bright as Pictures  Appear

20230113_164321.jpg

Close Up of Copper Sink

20230113_164355.jpg

We Will Be able to sit at the end of the Island and still see the 85 Inch Tv .

20230113_164339.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 26