Now for something completely different

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I believe the lawyers for Carnival and Shine are having a mediation in the next few weeks. If no result it goes to the Federal Court in March 2022.

I hope Carnival Corp don't settle. If they do people will assume they were at fault when, in reality, they were just coping with a new situation as best they could. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, possum52 said:

I feel he shouldn't have posted the information about the person whom he believes is case zero publicly, that is not fair to her. 

Conspiracy theorists ironically don't care much about right to privacy🙄. That doco on the anti vaxers had a story of this woman whose baby died and in her grief she poured out on FB. Immediately she was contacted by anti vaxers who asked her if the child had been vaccinated. Suddenly her baby became the poster child for the anti vaxers movement despite the fact the baby died of positional asphyxia. She can't get them to stop using her baby's image. Cease and desist one group, another one pops up 😕

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hope Carnival Corp don't settle. If they do people will assume they were at fault when, in reality, they were just coping with a new situation as best they could. 

Agreed. But sometimes companies settle because it costs less than protracted legal proceedings.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. But sometimes companies settle because it costs less than protracted legal proceedings.

I know. 🙁 But in this case it could do too much harm to the Princess brand.

Furthermore these people are just being greedy, egged on by the lawyers. It's a pandemic, for crying out loud. Bad things are going to happen especially at the start when people are still trying to figure it out.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2021 at 7:45 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Furthermore these people are just being greedy, egged on by the lawyers. It's a pandemic, for crying out loud. Bad things are going to happen especially at the start when people are still trying to figure it out.

Yes, and from what I have read of similar cases, they won't get very much. The only winners will be the lawyers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nnps said:

Yes, and from what I have read of similar cases, they won't get very much. The only winners will be the lawyers.

Don’t you just love a story with a happy ending “The lawyers got it all”

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Depends on your career choice I suppose 

Yes, never really considered law when at school & became a scientist... cost myself a lot of  money I guess 🙂

Have a long-time friend who is our lawyer. Last year we met with him re possible move into a over 55's place. He gave us some advice as friends and basically left the legal aspects aside. We got a 'mate's rates' bill for $880 😮 Should have invited him to dinner at the most expensive restaurant in town & had a chat - would've been much cheaper!

22 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes, never really considered law when at school & became a scientist... cost myself a lot of  money I guess 🙂

Have a long-time friend who is our lawyer. Last year we met with him re possible move into a over 55's place. He gave us some advice as friends and basically left the legal aspects aside. We got a 'mate's rates' bill for $880 😮 Should have invited him to dinner at the most expensive restaurant in town & had a chat - would've been much cheaper!

I don't think so Mr. Walker.

You would have additionally been charged travelling time to and from the restaurant and home, plus  motor vehicle kilometrage,  fee on accepting your call to make the invitation, fee on consulting with his wife as to their availability to accept, fee on letter confirming his acceptance,  and fees on his conversation with you at $600 per hour (plus GST).

Not to mention postage and petties.

You got off cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Hey Lyle, I read that we have sent a contingent of Aussie firefighter to Canada to help out over there - hope you've got plenty of beer!!

I'm thinking that beer is the least of our worries to slake the thirst of our Australian friends. Water is a much bigger concern. I think we are at 54 days with no measurable precipitation and no end in sight. Not good for a place with the nick name of "the wet coast". We are very fortunate here on the Island that we have not really been effected much by the wildfires. We haven't even had the smoke from them yet. 

We are however concerned that perhaps what we thought would be a sure thing road trip could be jeopardized by the fires. It is exactly 1 month away and we drive right through the fire area.

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Water is a much bigger concern. I think we are at 54 days with no measurable precipitation and no end in sight. Not good for a place with the nick name of "the wet coast".

Lyle, is that normal to go that long without rain?

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Lots of lawyers would make more in other professions. And the unbillable hours are a killer.

1 hour ago, Obilix said:

I don't think so Mr. Walker.

You would have additionally been charged travelling time to and from the restaurant and home, plus  motor vehicle kilometrage,  fee on accepting your call to make the invitation, fee on consulting with his wife as to their availability to accept, fee on letter confirming his acceptance,  and fees on his conversation with you at $600 per hour (plus GST).

Not to mention postage and petties.

You got off cheap.

I detest that postage and petites rubbish, in the same category as dealer delivery when you buy a car. Or even mandatory tips.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I reckon there will be settlement on mediation, if Carnival accept some fault that is.

What fault could they admit? They made a couple of relatively minor errors and, reading between the lines, the person who made those errors was probably "running on fumes" at the time, as well as struggling with a new virus, regular flu, and land-based organisations that screwed up big time. 

6 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Lyle, is that normal to go that long without rain?

Definitely not, Victoria has a long standing reputation for mild climate, not too hot or cold and a moderate amount of rain. The fires are in an area that is technically a "desert" but this heat is unprecedented.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

I reckon there will be settlement on mediation, if Carnival accept some fault that is.

Even if they don’t accept fault many matters settle on the basis that it is less expensive, not to mention risky, than litigation. You get a couple of SC involved head off to a ten day hearing legal costs alone will run into many hundreds of thousands not to mention time of senior staff sitting around waiting for a hearing.

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Even if they don’t accept fault many matters settle on the basis that it is less expensive, not to mention risky, than litigation. You get a couple of SC involved head off to a ten day hearing legal costs alone will run into many hundreds of thousands not to mention time of senior staff sitting around waiting for a hearing.

Which is, of course, exactly what money-grubbng lawyers like Shine hope will happen.🙄

22 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm thinking that beer is the least of our worries to slake the thirst of our Australian friends. Water is a much bigger concern. I think we are at 54 days with no measurable precipitation and no end in sight. Not good for a place with the nick name of "the wet coast". We are very fortunate here on the Island that we have not really been effected much by the wildfires. We haven't even had the smoke from them yet. 

We are however concerned that perhaps what we thought would be a sure thing road trip could be jeopardized by the fires. It is exactly 1 month away and we drive right through the fire area.

Good luck to all over there. Just glad our firies can be over there to help... it's not so long ago when they were flat out here and help came for them.

Aside form their work, I trust they can experience some good old  Canadian hospitality!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Definitely not, Victoria has a long standing reputation for mild climate, not too hot or cold and a moderate amount of rain. The fires are in an area that is technically a "desert" but this heat is unprecedented.

Welcome to the world of water restrictions Lyle, we often have them here.