Now for something completely different

19 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

By the way does anyone in Australia think your Parliamentary Democracy resembles the United States system of Government?

Don't want to get into "politics" just curious.

No. The Australian system of government is modelled on the UK model, the 'Westminster system', very similar to Canada's. This system operates at both the Federal level and the State level. We have two major political parties (one being a coalition of two parties), a few smaller ones and some independents in Parliament.

I feel this is a better system than the US one where an person who isn't experienced in politics or international relations, can become the head of government and also the head of state.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel this is a better system than the US one where an person who isn't experienced in politics or international relations, can become the head of government and also the head of state.

I think money is the bigger issue to becoming head of state in the USA. I read Obama's campaign in the state of Ohio alone was around $30 million😱. If you have no ability to raise that money how can the ordinary person become president? 

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think money is the bigger issue to becoming head of state in the USA. I read Obama's campaign in the state of Ohio alone was around $30 million😱. If you have no ability to raise that money how can the ordinary person become president? 

Agreed. An unbelievable amount of money is spent in the campaigns. Most of it comes from supporters.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Most of it comes from supporters.

Rich supporters and most rich people, only know other rich people. Not many average joes/janes have a rich mate they can hit up for a spare 30mil to fund a campaign. The one thing Australia has right is caps on campaign spending. It at least means the playing field is more achievable. 

So now that we have discovered that the system of Government in Australia is much more similar to that here in Canada and really not at all similar to that in the United States perhaps we will move away from the "P" word and discuss....Hot Dogs, as seen on my supper plate this evening, all beef wieners on a long roll with green relish, Bavarian mustard and sauted onions. No tomato sauce (ketchup)

1927187399_hotdogs.thumb.jpg.49d698cec8bbb0b2dae8af836a5bf092.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So now that we have discovered that the system of Government in Australia is much more similar to that here in Canada and really not at all similar to that in the United States perhaps we will move away from the "P" word and discuss....Hot Dogs, as seen on my supper plate this evening, all beef wieners on a long roll with green relish, Bavarian mustard and sauted onions. No tomato sauce (ketchup)

1927187399_hotdogs.thumb.jpg.49d698cec8bbb0b2dae8af836a5bf092.jpg

Looks good Lyle.

We have a Sunday lunch special.

Salmon poached in OJ on a Vietnamese roll with tabouli ,with extra butter on the roll.

• Thanks 1

Sounds lovely Chili although I'm not familiar with Vietnamese rolls and although I am aware of tabouli I have not had it (of course Lynn wouldn't be able to have it with tomatoes) We rarely poach salmon in our house cooked an a pan with butter mostly or "planked" on a well soaked piece of hardwood (usually cherry or alder) right on the Barbeque. I have to get the propane cylinders filled for the barby, I have it under cover so I can use it year round.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds lovely Chili although I'm not familiar with Vietnamese rolls and although I am aware of tabouli I have not had it (of course Lynn wouldn't be able to have it with tomatoes) We rarely poach salmon in our house cooked an a pan with butter mostly or "planked" on a well soaked piece of hardwood (usually cherry or alder) right on the Barbeque. I have to get the propane cylinders filled for the barby, I have it under cover so I can use it year round.

These are Vietnamese rolls Lyle - when the immigration of Vietnamese started to Australia in the 1970s, Vietnamese bakeries opened up everywhere, hence the term Vietnamese rolls due to the French influence in Vietnamese cuisine.

Banh Mi | The Cozy Apron

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, because I think our Vietnamese immigration was fairly small we know that type of roll as a "crusty roll" so yummy with a slathering of butter.

we had 2 big immigrations here both mostly from Europe (other groups were turned away some with tragic results) the big one around the turn of the 19th Century when my grandparents came from England and Russia (of German Descent) and then again after the Second World War. So there used to be many European style bakeries around, now not so much.

Edited by Blackduck59

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Leigh, because I think our Vietnamese immigration was fairly small we know that type of roll as a "crusty roll" so yummy with a slathering of butter.

It less about the bread and really the sandwiches ( called Banh Mi) they make from them that they are famous for. They were doing Subway before Subway existed😆 Where I live there is a large Vietnamese community so it is pretty much part of Aussie cuisine these days. Here's an example:

1116341727_ScreenShot2020-10-18at3_54_22PM.png.44f32ca3ff00d78b4207c206398a43f3.png

Again I am aware of Bahn Mi but not tried it yet. I usually have Pho when I do Vietnamese cuisine. Our favourite place changed hands some time back and the once excellent broth was just not very good so we left disappointed and haven't been back. maybe as after the current situation has passed and "Eat In" is more pleasant we will find a new favourite Vietnamese place.

Edited by Blackduck59
spelling error

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Again I am aware of Bahn Mi but not tried it yet. I usually have Pho when I do Vietnamese cuisine. Our favourite place changed hands some time back and the once excellent broth was just not very good so we left disappointed and haven't been back. maybe as after the current situation has passed and "Eat In" is more pleasant we will find a new favourite Vietnamese place.

There is a Pho restuarant quite famous in Sydney. It is near where I live and according to the locals it is the most authentic Pho you can eat. There is only two things on the menu, chicken pho and beef pho. The order comes with noodles and broth then you can pick you meats and cuts and on the table is the bean sprouts, basil and condiments. It is one of my favourite fast  food places to eat😋

7 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

There is a Pho restuarant quite famous in Sydney. It is near where I live and according to the locals it is the most authentic Pho you can eat. There is only two things on the menu, chicken pho and beef pho. The order comes with noodles and broth then you can pick you meats and cuts and on the table is the bean sprouts, basil and condiments. It is one of my favourite fast  food places to eat😋

What is it's name?

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Orange goes well with salmon.

52 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Orange goes well with salmon.

I like smoked salmon with cream cheese. I have had the odd pho, quite tasty, a meal in itself. Yes the frogs taught the viets how to bake their lovely bread and rolls.

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I like smoked salmon with cream cheese. I have had the odd pho, quite tasty, a meal in itself. Yes the frogs taught the viets how to bake their lovely bread and rolls.

I know a couple of Vietnamese, desert folk,hard working.
one told me about coming to Australia as a boat person and as a kid in the 70’s . some people had to eat??? I’ll leave that to you??

And I love some of the tucker.

Edited by Chiliburn

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I know a couple of Vietnamese, desert folk,hard working.
one told me about coming to Australia as a boat person and as a kid in the 70’s . some people had to eat??? I’ll leave that to you??

And I love some of the tucker.

They are hard workers for sure, they deserve all they have achieved, likewise other immigrants. Look at the great cuisines they have brought here, Vietnamese, Chinese,  Thai, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Peruvian, Spanish, Mongolian, Japanese, French, German etc etc. I love it all,  we ate out  often and I still do have a couple of nights out for dinner, weekly. Lubbly jubbly.

Without  introduced cuisines we would still just be eating roast dinners, rissoles, snags and pies, a bit boring.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the multiculturalism of Aussie cuisine. So much variety. Do you choose traditional? Do you choose fusion? Both can be outstanding.

We went to a local restaurant, Little Red Robin, the other week. Mod-Aus with touches of Japanese. Amazing food, and very interesting wine matches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Look at the great cuisines they have brought here, Vietnamese, Chinese,  Thai, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Peruvian, Spanish, Mongolian, Japanese, French, German etc etc. I love it all,  we ate out  often and I still do have a couple of nights out for dinner, weekly.

I'm having dinner with a friend tomorrow night. Mucho's Mexican cantina night in The Junction, Newcastle. It's been a few years since I was last there but that's not because the food wasn't good, it's great. The place is so popular it got too crowded and noisy for us but with COVID restrictions it will, hopefully, be a little quieter now.

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I'm having dinner with a friend tomorrow night. Mucho's Mexican cantina night in The Junction, Newcastle. It's been a few years since I was last there but that's not because the food wasn't good, it's great. The place is so popular it got too crowded and noisy for us but with COVID restrictions it will, hopefully, be a little quieter now.

I have not eaten there lyndarra. I enjoy the food at {antojitos} on Steel St. It was difficult to get a seat some nights. As they say on their website: "Pizza to the right; brothel to the left; pubs at either end; and then there's us at {antojitos}... sitting pretty in the middle."

antojitos_0000.jpg

49 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I have not eaten there lyndarra. I enjoy the food at {antojitos} on Steel St. It was difficult to get a seat some nights. As they say on their website: "Pizza to the right; brothel to the left; pubs at either end; and then there's us at {antojitos}... sitting pretty in the middle."

antojitos_0000.jpg

Have to love the Aussie sense of humour.  

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I love the multiculturalism of Aussie cuisine. So much variety. Do you choose traditional? Do you choose fusion? Both can be outstanding.

We went to a local restaurant, Little Red Robin, the other week. Mod-Aus with touches of Japanese. Amazing food, and very interesting wine matches.

I was surprised when a foreign food cook said Australia had the best food in the world because of the variety of cooking styles and fresh food grown by our immigrants.