Now for something completely different

Just now, NSWP said:

Crikey how can you live in Qld without air con in your abode? Breeze or no breeze.

I have full a/c and ceiling fans in living areas and bedrooms, I hate the heat, up to 30C is bearable but after that I stay in the a/c house.

56 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Crikey how can you live in Qld without air con in your abode? Breeze or no breeze.

Our house is built with cavity brick. When it is very hot we close the doors and windows in the middle of the day because it is cooler inside than outside. By about 1pm, we can open the windows. There is nearly always a sea breeze in the afternoon. Although we are quite a distance from the coast, we are on a ridge and have good views of Moreton Bay - nothing to obstruct the sea breeze. The temperature inside at the moment (11.15am) is 27 degrees - not too bad.

There used to be a few nights when the temp didn't drop below 20 degrees and it was uncomfortable trying to sleep. Our Vornado fan fixed that problem.🙂

Edited by Aus Traveller

27 degrees would be full on summer here. Definitely not spring. We really didn't think it through when we built the house without AC. I did plan with 6" walls for good insulation (for cold and heat) we have a large 6' wide perimeter porch which keeps the walls in the shade. Unfortunately it still gets warm in summer so we have several fans going. We open the window in the bedroom when the outside temp gets to be lower than inside. When we "downsize" in the next couple of years the new place will have a heat pump for efficient heating and cooling.

Edited by Blackduck59

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

That looks a skookum unit. Dyson is all the rage here but no way am I paying $300.00 to $600.00 for a fan.

You sent me off to Google with that word. Learn something everyday.

"Skookum is a Chinook Jargon word that has historical use in the Pacific Northwest. It has a range of meanings, commonly associated with an English translation of "strong" or "monstrous"

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

You sent me off to Google with that word. Learn something everyday.

"Skookum is a Chinook Jargon word that has historical use in the Pacific Northwest. It has a range of meanings, commonly associated with an English translation of "strong" or "monstrous"

Happy to share a bit of Canadian wet coast slang eh.

• Like 1

I think if you are a born Queenslander, you can live without air conditioning.  In my youth no-one had air conditioning. High stilt houses with louvres and verandahs - Queenslanders - are built for our summer climate.  My relatives in N Qld. had push out windows to catch the breeze. I love the tropical houses built for the climate in NT.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

You keep mentioning the Vornado fan, so I had to find out what it looks like. Is it quite?

See the source image

I have a Vornado Fit Personal Fan that goes on all cruises with me for the past few years.  It is about 2 pound...5"x7"x8".  Two speeds and quiet.  Pretty powerful for a little fan. Goes in my carry on.  I have become slightly claustrophobic in my old age and having the moving air in the cabin at night is great. Cost was about $20USD.  Princess and NCL have never given me any trouble taking it on board.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Beautiful house.  Is that a common design house for your area, with verandahs on two sides?

It's not that common. I designed it, the veranda also runs half way down the other side where it meets up with our bedroom. There is no hallway all rooms access of the central open plan space with sort of central fireplace. It was meant to be our forever home until there was such a building boom around us and we are feeling pushed out by development.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's not that common. I designed it, the veranda also runs half way down the other side where it meets up with our bedroom. There is no hallway all rooms access of the central open plan space with sort of central fireplace. It was meant to be our forever home until there was such a building boom around us and we are feeling pushed out by development.

What an interesting clever design.  It looks like a forever home.  That is such a shame that you are feeling pushed out by development.  A lot of old Queenslanders have a bathroom at one end of the verandah on one side.  One of my great aunts Queenslander had no central hall, with a formal lounge and an informal lounge/dining room on one side and bedrooms off the lounges on the other.  Across the back was a big kitchen and a breakfast room.  The front garden belonged to the wife for flowers, whilst the back garden belonged to the husband for fruit and vegs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

That looks a skookum unit. Dyson is all the rage here but no way am I paying $300.00 to $600.00 for a fan.

I think our fan was AUD$239. Models without a stand are around $169. That is expensive when you can buy other fans for around $25, but we feel it was money very well spent. My husband has said several times that it is the best thing we ever bought. He doesn't include me in "the best thing he ever bought", but he got me for free.😁

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We would have been going to Tasmania with you on Sunday, GUT.

But someone mentioned a pandemic.

We will be excited when we finally get on a ship.

we booked a cheap one other day ,3 of us in a balcony on Ovation for $720 each. 
 Coming 
0E252957-21C2-4427-A7D3-B407A39515AC.thumb.png.92d67a2a91872dc8d93c7ffa998632c3.png

I looked at that but timing doesn’t fit unfortunately, I need a short one to see if my new wheelchair reduces the pain levels, Princess have a 4 nighter just Hobart and back that may fit the Bill, not sure the budget will handle it though as we would be in Hobart for Salamanca Markets and Mrs Gut and markets is a dangerous combination.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think if you are a born Queenslander, you can live without air conditioning.  In my youth no-one had air conditioning. High stilt houses with louvres and verandahs - Queenslanders - are built for our summer climate.  My relatives in N Qld. had push out windows to catch the breeze. I love the tropical houses built for the climate in NT.

Back then they built for the conditions as there was no air con and heating meant chopping wood so houses were built for the conditions.

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Les - how are you after your stint in hospital? 💘

Not too bad thanks, arm a bit sore with 12 sutures, and a chunck out, at least I am no longer bleeding to death. Still awaiting pathology result. Going back to Meals on Wheels work this morning.

Supposed to be driving to Qld on 21st, play it by ear re my condition.

Edited by NSWP