Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Keep you fit Leigh.  Lyle might one of those people mover things on the banisters.

Not so much about keeping fit Les, my back doesn't like stairs. I can do a flight ok, but thinking about having to carry bags of groceries up would not be good! We hadfour steps leading up to our front door, so thinking of the future, we recently put in a new deck and ramp there. Much better! 

Leigh

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Not too bad thanks, arm a bit sore with 12 sutures, and a chunck out, at least I am no longer bleeding to death. Still awaiting pathology result. Going back to Meals on Wheels work this morning.

Supposed to be driving to Qld on 21st, play it by ear re my condition.

I hope the pathology result is good. 😁 I have noticed that in the last couple of years, pathology results seem to take a lot longer than they used to. I hope you can go on your planned trip. It is still some time in the future, so maybe you will be OK. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think if you are a born Queenslander, you can live without air conditioning.  In my youth no-one had air conditioning.

Totally this.  No aircon here.  A $12 fan on each side of the bed for hot summer nights and that's about it.  But I must say I don't do so well down south when it gets cooler.

38 minutes ago, BrissieB said:

Totally this.  No aircon here.  A $12 fan on each side of the bed for hot summer nights and that's about it.  But I must say I don't do so well down south when it gets cooler.

Gosh....... growing up..... open fire..... and an electric heater.(wow).......

and in the kitchen was the slow combustion stove.......

Then back to electric heater for a while   ( no fans yet )

And finally a gas heater.....  you lit a match adn turned on a tap ... and boom  heat

then a brigette heater ........    then a gas space heater   with a fan.......

Now   central heating, air-con, ceiling fans.....  how did we all survive ......lol

The old days        Don      ( sitting in front of radiogram listening to blue hills )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

And finally a gas heater.....  you lit a match adn turned on a tap ... and boom  heat

Now   central heating, air-con, ceiling fans.....  how did we all survive ......lol

The old days        Don      ( sitting in front of radiogram listening to blue hills )

Valve set Don? 🤣

At some time in the 70s just about every second home around here had an oil heater.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Yes Les      found a photo of the one very similar.... Don

29749230_1587635321323764_2390745511437956149_o.jpg.210d7e2f4992e8ef8ed8a1eae09cc37f.jpg

A "radiogram". Pre "stereogram". Ask a 20 year old what it is and they wouldn't know.

My first guitar amplifier a radiogram. Hooked up a jack plug to the volume control, easy if you know how.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

At some time in the 70s just about every second home around here had an oil heater.

We had one, a Vulcan from memory in our home at Engadine, southern Sydney.   Double sided lounge room and hall. It was very efficient, we had it for 20 years before oil prices went up and up. Then we got split system a/c.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hope the pathology result is good. 😁 I have noticed that in the last couple of years, pathology results seem to take a lot longer than they used to. I hope you can go on your planned trip. It is still some time in the future, so maybe you will be OK. 

Thanks, still waiting, but at least I am not bleeding to death now. The trip to Qld on 21 December, I have to play it by ear, the planning done, now waiting for the execution.  I don't want to be in Canberra Hospital over Christmas getting chopped up, not nice.

49 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

A "radiogram". Pre "stereogram". Ask a 20 year old what it is and they wouldn't know.

My first guitar amplifier a radiogram. Hooked up a jack plug to the volume control, easy if you know how.

A record player....with a speed selector, 16. 33. 45.78  and records were long play,   micro groove

and mono compatible....  also radios with short wave

All from another world...      then stereo arrived.... wow two speakers...... could it get any better.......

Right back to real world..... Don

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

A record player....with a speed selector, 16. 33. 45.78  and records were long play,   micro groove

and mono compatible....  also radios with short wave

All from another world...      then stereo arrived.... wow two speakers...... could it get any better.......

Right back to real world..... Don

Video killed the Radio star, as the song goes.   Then Netflix killed the Video.  What next? Cruises to Mars?

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Video killed the Radio star, as the song goes.   Then Netflix killed the Video.  What next? Cruises to Mars?

Sometime Les.... I look around and I'am amazed.... Men on Moon, TV,  gosh Computers, the size of fridges, you can heat and cool a whole house,   you can buy meat after noon on Saturday...

I look at our 65 inch 4K Tv with 5.1 surround sound  and remember the 16 inch B&W  TV in a large Cabinet. in the lounge thinking ... it was amazing watching  casey jones

Sorry I have gone down memory lane.....  the world in a changing place 

Right back now.... what is for dinner?????    Don

16 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Sometime Les.... I look around and I'am amazed.... Men on Moon, TV,  gosh Computers, the size of fridges, you can heat and cool a whole house,   you can buy meat after noon on Saturday...

I look at our 65 inch 4K Tv with 5.1 surround sound  and remember the 16 inch B&W  TV in a large Cabinet. in the lounge thinking ... it was amazing watching  casey jones

Sorry I have gone down memory lane.....  the world in a changing place 

Right back now.... what is for dinner?????    Don

Yep, always changing but sometimes quicker than others I remember be dear old Gran talking of seeing one of the first cars in Australia, through to planes and man landing on the moon and being amazed but then I think of the changes in my lifetime and while they are different, still as life changing, cars are so different to just 50 years ago, phones, faxes, computers the internet. Then the forms of transport that were only for the rich, like cars, like planes, like cruises. Then around the house microwave, robot vacuum cleaner, electric everything (in just about every home) tV from very basic and limited stations that closed at midnight, to colour 24/7 -and more options than you can count, though my kids don’t watch TV it is Netflix or YouTube etc. I wonder what the next 50 years will bring.

That reminds me of my grandmother.... always put a tea towel over the TV screen during the day,

and when colour TV came out ..she didn't want one as it was only a fad...

What will the next 50 years bring ???  not sure ..... the Car in garage is almost 20.. it will be an adult soon.

I look at so many things we have are well over 20 or some 40 years old

I doubt very much from now will be here in 30 years let alone 50

Mum's house is only 94... we will have a party for it when it turns a 100...lol 

Don

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

Not so much about keeping fit Les, my back doesn't like stairs. I can do a flight ok, but thinking about having to carry bags of groceries up would not be good! We hadfour steps leading up to our front door, so thinking of the future, we recently put in a new deck and ramp there. Much better! 

Leigh

If you look at the picture of my house Leigh there is a driveway that goes up to the upper level, Our Subaru is parked there and we have a ramp rather than stairs. The upper level is the "living" level of our house, once you are up there everything is there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If you look at the picture of my house Leigh there is a driveway that goes up to the upper level, Our Subaru is parked there and we have a ramp rather than stairs. The upper level is the "living" level of our house, once you are up there everything is there.

Clever design, Lyle.

Our house is below street level so lots of stairs. The living areas are on the upper level with bedrooms below. Eventually we'll have to find somewhere without stairs.

47 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That would be much easier Lyle. Great design.

Leigh

forgot about the old kero heater.... uncle and auntie had one in their flat in elwood

When I was in the CMF (Army Reserve) 66 to 72, we had kero fridges in the bush, they did a reasonable job, but I was the company cook for a while and the blokes had the bush kitchen kero fridges full of Reschs DA or KB - Cold Gold. I could not get enough tucker in there. We were sort of a bit civilised in the Provosts (MP's) The infantrymen lit a fire, but their officers used to come over to us and scrounge a feed because we had steaks and their diggers had canned compo rations.

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

That would be much easier Lyle. Great design.

Leigh

We like it Leigh. It was built to the topography of the lot. I don't think we have it in us to build again, if we did we would rebuild what we have as a single level on a level lot with a separate garage attached with an open breezeway. The problem would be by the time we get the lot and the house built it's likely to be close to a Million Dollars. (even with my trade connections)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

That reminds me of my grandmother.... always put a tea towel over the TV screen during the day,

and when colour TV came out ..she didn't want one as it was only a fad...

What will the next 50 years bring ???  not sure ..... the Car in garage is almost 20.. it will be an adult soon.

I look at so many things we have are well over 20 or some 40 years old

I doubt very much from now will be here in 30 years let alone 50

Mum's house is only 94... we will have a party for it when it turns a 100...lol 

Don

In 1987 we sold our first home, (that we built in 1972) and moved into our present home that was then twice as old. It's now twice as old again. Where did the time go?

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

In 1987 we sold our first home, (that we built in 1972) and moved into our present home that was then twice as old. It's now twice as old again. Where did the time go?

Bought our first block of land south of Wollongong Nsw in 1972, could not afford Sydney, land, $5000, house $13000. My word,

how prices have risen. In 76 moved and bought a place at Engadine, nsw for 33k, sold it in 2005 for $550k. Bought a new house down here for $400k, just had it valued @ $700k, in case I want to downsize. Yes, times change but it is all relevant to wages etc. 

So I could sell tomorrow for 700k and buy a decent apartment or townhouse down here for 500k, so I could put 200k into my cruise/travel fund, would last me a few years. 

By the way, I am no LJ Hooker.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1