Now for something completely different

23 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

electric heater for a while

And finally a gas heater.....

I don't understand, what is this heater you speak of? 
We keep some windows open pretty much all year and close them if it gets a bit cool.   Interestingly if we travel south when it's cold my voice packs up and moves back to Brisbane until I return.  It happens every time.  Not sick, just no voice.  I'm sure hubby doesn't mind.

30 minutes ago, BrissieB said:

We keep some windows open pretty much all year and close them if it gets a bit cool.   Interestingly if we travel south when it's cold my voice packs up and moves back to Brisbane until I return.  It happens every time.  Not sick, just no voice.  I'm sure hubby doesn't mind.

You would not like Batemans Bay then, in June/July we get -3 some mornings. Beautiful and crisp, crunchy frost.

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You would not like Batemans Bay then, in June/July we get -3 some mornings. Beautiful and crisp, crunchy frost.

I'm sure it's beautiful but a bit on the chilly side for this Queenslander.  
We're funny creatures aren't we, our Canberra friends and family visit in June and complain about the heat and humidity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrissieB said:

Interesting... I grew up in rural victoria    during winter it would regularly be -3 to -6 in the morning and may be 10 during the day....   so everywhere had a heat of sorts.....

Gas heaters had been round in the 1940's but only to heat a room....   Gas heating  really came big  in Melbourne in 1969  when natural gas arrived.

We live in a ground floor apartment,   generally when we are away in winter, the temperature inside drops to about 13-14 deg  which is a bit cold... to would colder if we didn't have double glazed windows..

At my mum weather board house it will get down to 10 deg inside it nobody is there for a few weeks in winter

But is all what one is use to.....    for us down south heating is a must...

Cheers Don.

Winters temperatures sound similar in Victoria and Victoria but my Victoria does get snow from time to time in my Victoria. We did have to scrape the windows on the car this morning. I have had the misfortune of a couple of winter excursions to the prairies and -30 is rather unpleasant, although our wet cold on the coast doesn't need to be in the minus zones to chill you to the bone.

For heat we have a wood burning fireplace which is very efficient at heating all of the main living spaces. The main heat system is hot water in floor radiant heat and as I have lamented before I should have made sure I had AC for those 28 degree summer days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Winters temperatures sound similar in Victoria and Victoria but my Victoria does get snow from time to time in my Victoria. We did have to scrape the windows on the car this morning. I have had the misfortune of a couple of winter excursions to the prairies and -30 is rather unpleasant, although our wet cold on the coast doesn't need to be in the minus zones to chill you to the bone.

For heat we have a wood burning fireplace which is very efficient at heating all of the main living spaces. The main heat system is hot water in floor radiant heat and as I have lamented before I should have made sure I had AC for those 28 degree summer days.

28C is pleasant for us Lyle, perfect for me, no AC required.

• Like 1

Gotta love a good steak, grilled medium. I like to put potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms in foil pouches and put them on the grill before the steaks. I use a steak spice on the meat just before it hits the grill. Maybe a bit of Bernaise sauce. Maybe start with some seared scallops. Apple crisp would be nice desert for a chilly fall evening.

Edited by Blackduck59

32 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Victoria (Aus) has snow too Lyle, in the alps and some other areas with higher elevation. Ballarat has snow perhaps once or twice a year on average. The Otway Ranges (above the Great Ocean Road will also have falls). The Dandenongs on the eastern outskirts will have snow maybe a few times a year. We have ski resorts too! And we certainly have frosts - scraping the windscreens if you have parked outside. 

We have a gas space heater for our living room and an oil filled column heater for our bedroom as well as a reverse cycle air con (for both heating and cooling) and air con and fans in living area.

Leigh

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I should have made sure I had AC for those 28 degree summer days.

I live for 28°C summers😍 Sydney West it is not unusual for it to get to +40°C. I remember watching a doco of British researchers in Africa. They complained about the heat and one said it was 40°C. I couldn't stop laughing😂

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Victoria (Aus) has snow too Lyle, in the alps and some other areas with higher elevation. Ballarat has snow perhaps once or twice a year on average. The Otway Ranges (above the Great Ocean Road will also have falls). The Dandenongs on the eastern outskirts will have snow maybe a few times a year. We have ski resorts too! And we certainly have frosts - scraping the windscreens if you have parked outside. 

We have a gas space heater for our living room and an oil filled column heater for our bedroom as well as a reverse cycle air con (for both heating and cooling) and air con and fans in living area.

Leigh

I did know you had snow in the mountains, I was talking at Sea Level. I have some interesting photos from a few years back during a couple of unusual winters with heavy snow but they are on 35mm film and I have never digitized them. We have a well known ski hill about 3 hours North of here on the Island. I'm jealous for your AC Leigh, I made sure I could make the house warm, cooling it...not so much 🤔

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Gotta love a good steak, grilled medium. I like to put potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms in foil pouches and put them on the grill before the steaks. I use a steak spice on the meat just before it hits the grill. Maybe a bit of Bernaise sauce. Maybe start with some seared scallops. Apple crisp would be nice desert for a chilly fall evening.

Lyle if you are down this way between Sydney and Melbourne on the coastal route in 2022, I promise, If  I am still kicking, I will take you and the Mrs Duck to Donegans for the oysters and steaks.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I live for 28°C summers😍 Sydney West it is not unusual for it to get to +40°C. I remember watching a doco of British researchers in Africa. They complained about the heat and one said it was 40°C. I couldn't stop laughing😂

Yes you cop it out western Sydney, we get the odd 40c day, but rare, I am 1km from ye olde Pacific Ocean, get that NE breeze most days, Gods AC I call it.

52 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Last time I was in UK, mid 2018, there was a heatwave it was 28c, staying at holiday inn, Huntingdon Racecourse, Lincolnshire, we had great ac, new hotel.. The locals who had no ac were flocking to the bar and bistro to keep cool. Some wanted to sleep in the hotel foyer, denied.

My wife and I went out of the hotel for a walk in the arvo, the duty manager at hotel said, dont go out, it is boiling, which is a favourite pom term, It was lovely in the 26c day. The poms drinking lagers in the bar thought we were nutters.lol

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Don't mind a bit heat.... 30 plus is ok but but working hard.... also  dry heat like in the outback 35 is ok    but any reason for a nice cold beer   in those conditions.....

At home general wait until about 28 before turn the AC on..... at night just use a fan....

But having said that sitting in the sun with no wind over mid 30's     I melt

It is like the display temp in the car  set temperature  about 23.... outside it has over 20 deg above or below.....  all is fine until you have to get out....lol

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

8 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Don't mind a bit heat.... 30 plus is ok but but working hard.... also  dry heat like in the outback 35 is ok    but any reason for a nice cold beer   in those conditions.....

At home general wait until about 28 before turn the AC on..... at night just use a fan....

But having said that sitting in the sun with no wind over mid 30's     I melt

It is like the display temp in the car  set temperature  about 23.... outside it has over 20 deg above or below.....  all is fine until you have to get out....lol

Don

Ditto Don, great minds  think alike.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes you cop it out western Sydney, we get the odd 40c day, but rare, I am 1km from ye olde Pacific Ocean, get that NE breeze most days, Gods AC I call it.

When it gets to 40°C I'm heading to the shopping centre or setting myself up in the public library till closing time 😂. At night if the temps don't drop it is hard, sometimes fans help but otherwise it really is just a matter of waiting it out. 

The level of humidity makes a difference. 25C and high humidity can feel horribly hot but 30C with very low humidity can feel very pleasant.

Lyle, if you get to Hobart when you come down under make sure you go up Mt Wellington. The views are fantastic. However take a warm layer. It's only about half an hour by car from the wharf but it can be 10-15C cooler up there. It's above the treeline with alpine vegetation.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The level of humidity makes a difference. 25C and high humidity can feel horribly hot but 30C with very low humidity can feel very pleasant.

Lyle, if you get to Hobart when you come down under make sure you go up Mt Wellington. The views are fantastic. However take a warm layer. It's only about half an hour by car from the wharf but it can be 10-15C cooler up there. It's above the treeline with alpine vegetation.

Even been known to get snow on Christmas Day.

When I worked in the Kimberleys in WA (far north of Western Australia), we had the wet and dry seasons. Typical of the tropics.

Dry season could be lovely. Cool to cold at night. Very pleasant in the day.

Wet season, oh my! Hot, humid, thunderstorms almost every afternoon and evening. outdoor movies often ended in being drenched.

The worst I remember was having a minimum temperature (old money) of 92 degrees.

The idea of going troppo is very real.

Edited by Docker123