Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

I still feel very strong about these cruise ports and being able to successfully accommodate these ships? It's true that non of us know what ships will be so called "sacrificed". I do however understand the theory of critical mass. You have to be able to supply your customer's immediate demand.  I have sailed from Baltimore and Jacksonville Ports which are both restricted by the bridge heights. This could be a very serious talking point when these Lines are making decisions. 

Our cruises from both of these Ports were always sold out. Very popular with the regional and local cruisers. It's a total "Wait and See" Drama?    

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Most cruise lines did away with the bargain basement pricing a while a go.  With cruise lines going with the start slow, this will give them the best chance at being profitable as the virus wanes and cruise line demand grows.  If that happens, pricing will probably be a premium, you might disagree, but that is the best case scenario for everybody.    

Just monitoring the boards I think if cruising starts up soon enough, say October, many people are going to wimp out last minute who thought they were ready to cruise until it came time to get on a plane. If so, this will make for some great deals if you can book within 48 hours of cruising. That is how I took a four day cruise for $264 total in March. 

Edited by asalligo

I’m not sure this is entirely bad news.. even in the best of times successful and thriving companies look back and wish they could change without cust or branding issues that go with change. So that takes time.
‘It’s a brutal time for the cruise industry . no company can go without revenue for extended period of time without making adjustments . 
In an extreme periods like we are now , all  future plans get reshuffled , Some speed up on some slowed or eliminated , and others other Completely  new plans are introduced.. maybe some consolidation of lines where that was a non starter before.

There  are a lot of people who love to cruise , there is big money to be made .. I do believe it’s an opportunity to reinvent , change out methods , all  operations , systems and processes are up for change . 

it’s a crazy time but I do believe it can be exciting new cruising world out there . 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

If there was a fairly rich entrepreneur, this would be an interesting time to do a start up (it would probably take a year to get things going anyways).

Amazon Cruises ??? LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Do you mean that these 2 ships will not be returning to the Caribbean?

but there are sailings available to be booked for the Caribbean on these two ships

Surely they wouldn’t keep selling bookings on cruises they know won’t be sailing. Oh wait, isn’t that what they did just before canceling cruises again in April, then May, then June, etc? [emoji23]

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Amazon Cruises ??? LOL

Spirit class or smaller.  You can bet there would be diamond/platinum cruisers lined up to book.  Would love to do it again, but I would want some time on land in Manaus again.  EM

What about the US cruise ports that have to utilize the smaller class ships due to the bridges that they sail under being height restricted? The larger ships will not make it under these bridges? Will they be forced to build new ports or close them to accommodate?  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Most cruise lines did away with the bargain basement pricing a while a go.  With cruise lines going with the start slow, this will give them the best chance at being profitable as the virus wanes and cruise line demand grows.  If that happens, pricing will probably be a premium, you might disagree, but that is the best case scenario for everybody.    

I'm with you on that one especially if they have to sail at reduced capacity.i see prices going up.you got so many chomping at the bit to cruise I believe they will overlook the price increases.im looking to do one next year on msc then retire from cruising altogethor with a journeys cruise in 2022. I've been putting off my knee replacement surgeries for too long as it is.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do you think they will be pressured by the builders to take possession?

.normally with equipment builds ( I only know about food processing equipment) you pay a third up front another 1/3 halfway and the rest after the test run before delivery.the ship builder might be okay with carnival not picking up a ship anytime soon other than tying up space.but then Europeans look at their money differently.

Two of the older P&O Australia are already slated for a new operator. Pacific Aria will become „Ida Pfeiffer“ and Pacific Dawn will become „Amy Johnson“ both with CMV Cruise & Maritime Voyages. Both were scheduled to enter service with CMV in 2021.  Wonder if these two are included in the 6 ships to leave. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

What about the US cruise ports that have to utilize the smaller class ships due to the bridges that they sail under being height restricted? The larger ships will not make it under these bridges? Will they be forced to build new ports to accommodate?  

They’ll either find a way to move their port or be stuck without a ship. Not every current port will have enough demand for a ship.

20 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

Hopefully NONE of the Fantasy class ships, as we prefer these smaller ships over the larger ones!

I am honestly thinking the fantasy class are the first to go as they are likely the least profitable for carnival. 

• Like 1

It is still a very complex and sensitive decision to ponder for Carnival. The Board members will also play a vital role. All of these speculative instances will have to totally be aligned with one another. There will undoubtedly be Cruise passengers that will lose alignment from their local ports not being supplied. If I recall correctly, Carnival has a few ports with only one ship cruising from that destination. Do you just totally disregard their passenger loyalty?

I read somewhere that approximately 10% of all US Citizens have ever cruised? This is the magic number that all Cruise Lines are trying to capture. Any/All bad press will and/or could damage the "Legacy To Come".

Let's hope that our "Sail Away" parties are not too far off!!     

24 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

Hopefully NONE of the Fantasy class ships, as we prefer these smaller ships over the larger ones!

While Carnival Corp has many brands to consider, the Fantasy would likely be the first on the chopping block. Smaller ships have inferior economies of scale and also command lower fare prices. They have a ton of US cruises too.

• Like 1

I realize and appreciate that we all cruise for different reasons, so to each his own, but I won't miss any of the Fantasy Class. 

When I leave my husband at home and sail solo, my idea of the perfect sea day is me, my Kindle, a glass of wine, a comfortable lounge chair on the muster deck, peace and quiet, and watching the ocean, islands and whatever creatures happen to swim by.  The first time I sailed out of Charleston was on the Ecstacy, and there was nowhere to get away from the noise to read and enjoy the ocean with the muster on Deck 9.  There wasn't even a place to sit except on the life jacket bins.  For me, the Sunshine replacing Ecstasy was an answer to my dilemma.

Edited by NuisanceLuke
  • Like 1

It is still a very complex and sensitive decision to ponder for Carnival. The Board members will also play a vital role. All of these speculative instances will have to totally be aligned with one another. There will undoubtedly be Cruise passengers that will lose alignment from their local ports not being supplied. If I recall correctly, Carnival has a few ports with only one ship cruising from that destination. Do you just totally disregard their passenger loyalty?

I read somewhere that approximately 10% of all US Citizens have ever cruised? This is the magic number that all Cruise Lines are trying to capture. Any/All bad press will and/or could damage the "Legacy To Come".

Let's hope that our "Sail Away" parties are not too far off!!     

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Another train of thought.  Everything has been shaken up.  Noone knows when they can do anything.  So why not use the opportunity to rearrange everything.  People are always griping about the same old itineraries.  They could work toward a more upscale experience.  Do some longer, open jaw cruises.  Sail from Mobile/Galveston/NOLA on a 8-10 day cruise and return to one of the other ports, having visited Cartagena or one of the ABC islands to make it legal.  then do another longer cruise from that return port visiting different islands/ports, making a possibility of more than two weeks of cruising.  Expend on the Journeys cruising...  This would not be just Carnival, maybe HAL too.  EM

Right now only ccl and rcl cruise from Galveston. Galveston is considered a cash cow for ccl. We do have quite a few journeys cruise that hit partial Panama. Imo making it a open jaw, so it's not a round trip would not be a plus for Galveston where people want a drive to cruise. Maybe from other ports, but Galveston cruisers wouldnt pay as much for a open jaw where they had to fly home and what to do with their cars? Houston airport isnt especially convenient to Galveston.

I wouldnt think carnival wants to add cruises that cost more gas to get to right now. Prices for next year out of Galveston imo are sky high. West coast prices probably the weakest. Miami always some deals, furthest to drive to and a lot of other ships competition.

As far as up and transferring, rcl just did it to us. I had a b2b booked on allure, but rcl postponed upgrading the terminal and substituted liberty which is a cheaper booking, so my great deal out the window. We were offered no obc, just a letter to change or be changed to liberty and a fcc would be offered if we choose to cancel. They have since offered refunds and some other ships, but not to everyone.

Personally I was surprised no obc or compensation... just told to change ships. So it could happen here if rcl can do it, ccl can too. 

I was curious about the ship selling and booked carnival august and oct, though I think august for sure is cancelled, now I'm worried about oct 4th. And as a large holder of ccl stock I wish I hadn't bought. 

1 hour ago, scpirate said:

.normally with equipment builds ( I only know about food processing equipment) you pay a third up front another 1/3 halfway and the rest after the test run before delivery.the ship builder might be okay with carnival not picking up a ship anytime soon other than tying up space.but then Europeans look at their money differently.

Shipbuilding is generally 10% upon ordering, and balance on delivery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who knows. Carnivals Celebration from 1987 a 33 year old ship is operating two night cruises from Palm beach Fl. to Freeport. It looks great in and out. Currently there oldest ship is the Fantasy 1990. Then the Ecstasy 1991 and goes up from there.

• Like 1