Once sailing resumes, do you think an entire ship would be "quarantined" for a + and not allowed to come into home port?

Eli_6

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And that is what makes cruising in the near future so scary for many if not most of us.

Would one feel better if they took the attitude that they'll never cruise again and go find other things fun to do?

The recent test of 40 police officers in their precinct sends a questionable picture to the entire thing. They were each given 2 Covid 19 test kits. The first was opened and qtip thing waved in the air, put in the tube, and sent for testing. The second kit they had the full shove it up the nose test. All 40 that were waved in the air tested positive. All real tests were negative. The conclusion is that the tests are extremely faulty and the virus can be every where and not contracted. I don't see what anyone or anything can do. I wish I had a link to the police that did the test.

15 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The recent test of 40 police officers in their precinct sends a questionable picture to the entire thing. They were each given 2 Covid 19 test kits. The first was opened and qtip thing waved in the air, put in the tube, and sent for testing. The second kit they had the full shove it up the nose test. All 40 that were waved in the air tested positive. All real tests were negative. The conclusion is that the tests are extremely faulty and the virus can be every where and not contracted. I don't see what anyone or anything can do. I wish I had a link to the police that did the test.

There are many companies making test kits and unfortunately there are some dodgy ones out there. If it is true I hope they kept the reciepts and they get their money back also the company should be named and shamed for such a faulty product.

25 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I have just spent 10 minutes searching for anything resembling this story and I get nil.  Are you sure the specifics are correct? Where and when did you read/hear about it?

On 7/3/2020 at 7:16 AM, JRG said:

I don't agree with this statement.   Caregivers are  very much concerned with their own protection as they assist with the Covid patients.

You have to consider the context of the Chief's post, he is not discussing a care home/hospital with care givers. He was commenting on the actual process of a marine vessel entering a foreign port and requesting "Free Pratique", which is defacto the ship's approval to enter the port and conduct operations. A ship may be alongside a berth, or at anchor, but is not able to load/discharge cargo or disembark crew/pax until Pratique is granted and the yellow flag is lowered.

When a port/government refuses to provide Pratique, they are looking after the health of their citizens, not the health of those onboard the vessel. The officials granting/denying Pratique are not caregivers.

BTW, the Chief has extensive experience with marine and port operations, with many years in senior positions on cruise ships, so the information posted is first hand experience.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have just spent 10 minutes searching for anything resembling this story and I get nil.  Are you sure the specifics are correct? Where and when did you read/hear about it?

One sad thing is that there are a lot of “sources” which purport to provide information on current happenings.  What is even sadder is the fact that there are a lot of people who will unthinkingly take in such information and pass it along.

Misinformation spreads more quickly than any virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

You have to consider the context of the Chief's post, he is not discussing a care home/hospital with care givers. He was commenting on the actual process of a marine vessel entering a foreign port and requesting "Free Pratique", which is defacto the ship's approval to enter the port and conduct operations. A ship may be alongside a berth, or at anchor, but is not able to load/discharge cargo or disembark crew/pax until Pratique is granted and the yellow flag is lowered.

Thanks, Andy.  Yes, the government health officials are first, not care givers, and second are mandated to protect their citizens and not citizens in another country, which is what a foreign flag ship is.  Also, we would be talking about care givers who volunteer to enter quarantine (again, outside their country) and who would then be placed in their own quarantine facility (as in the CDC's required "accommodation" ship to isolate those who are caring for those on the "quarantine" and "hospital" ships).  The CDC, for example, will never volunteer to send people onto a foreign flag ship that is under quarantine, as this is not their mandate.  Whether some NGO like Doctors without Borders would do so is a different thing altogether.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

There are too many additional factors: local authorities, local protocols, transportation, hospitalization...

And I don't think those are things that will be suggested, modified, approved for quite a while. I think about all the municipalities, countries, medical associations that will have to approve.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 4:02 PM, clo said:

And I don't think those are things that will be suggested, modified, approved for quite a while. I think about all the municipalities, countries, medical associations that will have to approve.

This may be one of the reasons that the CDC wanted improve medical facilities onboard and hospital ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbr663 said:

This may be one of the reasons that the CDC wanted improve medical facilities onboard and hospital ships.

I think improved medical facilities is a good idea. I don't see how you could have hospital ships trailing all cruise ships. That just does not sound doable.

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I don't see how you could have hospital ships trailing all cruise ships. That just does not sound doable.

I can only see that working on short itineraries....maybe not trailing but strategically positioned for quick response outbreaks, maybe from the designated 'safe' port or something.

who knows I'm just thinking outloud on the internet..

Science is not a straight line.  There are new learnings about this virus, the treatment, the testing, etc, coming out every day as experience grows.  This does not mean that our medical professionals and lab folk do not know what they are doing.  They do...in the moment.

Do I think that an entire ship could be quarantined.   Absolutely.  Why not?   

Think about this.  There are probably still people who would today risk flying into MIA or FLL today  just to board a cruise ship.  Probably the same type of people who criticize the health professionals, public health experts even though their knowledge level of the covid health care issues matches their I.Q.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 8:34 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Not the same thing at all, but I know of hospital workers who when exposed receive three tests on three consecutive days.  I guess the thought is better safe than sorry because the tests are not 100%.  

But 100% positives from waving swabs in the air--  I kinda have a hard time taking seriously.   

33 minutes ago, iancal said:

their knowledge level of the covid health care issues matches their I.Q.

Well, maybe not zero 🙂 And, yes, there have been people here who have said - are they still saying it? - "I would cruise tomorrow." And after two indoor dining adventures, we've now pulled back from that due to the spike.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Well, maybe not zero 🙂 And, yes, there have been people here who have said - are they still saying it? - "I would cruise tomorrow." And after two indoor dining adventures, we've now pulled back from that due to the spike.

Well, Carnival now has 12 of their ships scheduled for over 70 Caribbean itineraries sailing between October 1 and October 31 - and as of now over 20 of them are reported as being sold out.

Yes, there are a few of those “I would cruise tomorrow” folks out there. Of course, I suspect that many of them were originally signed up for the August itineraries.

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well, Carnival now has 12 of their ships scheduled for over 70 Caribbean itineraries sailing between October 1 and October 31 - and as of now over 20 of them are reported as being sold out.

Yes, there are a few of those “I would cruise tomorrow” folks out there. Of course, I suspect that many of them were originally signed up for the August itineraries.

Well, bless their hearts (in the truest Southern way).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

I have vacation now so for a few weeks I feel rather safe but when I go back to work I can also be infected there so then I could just go on a cruise instead. I should probably not choose to cruise from Florida anytime soon.

12 hours ago, JRG said:

I can only see that working on short itineraries....maybe not trailing but strategically positioned for quick response outbreaks, maybe from the designated 'safe' port or something.

who knows I'm just thinking outloud on the internet..

Just following up on your thoughts. Would the various cruise lines cooperate and fund a hospital ship as opposed to having to have one for the different lines held by Carnival Corporation, another one for lines owned by Royal Caribbean, another for NCL. and maybe yet another for MSC?

Lets see what the new suggested protocols are from the "Healthy Sail Panel" , NCL and RCL's  latest joint effort.

Its look like these two giants may be cooperating to some degree.

Edited by JRG

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Cruising will never happen if an entire ship is quarantined because of 1 person. Travel insurance, employers, nor cruisers would accept it. 

It doesn't matter what insurers, cruisers or employers accept.  What matters is whether the authorities in the final port will accept the ship if there is a confirmed positive onboard or will require the entire ship to quarantine for 14 days before allowing anyone else off.  

• Like 1

It is like I said, no one would cruise if this was the risk. It is as simple as that. Get stuck on a ship for 30-500 days, no port to go to. You would lose homes, businesses, jobs, etc. If that is what the CDC states, then cruising will be done.

7 hours ago, bigrednole said:

It is like I said, no one would cruise if this was the risk. It is as simple as that. Get stuck on a ship for 30-500 days, no port to go to. You would lose homes, businesses, jobs, etc. If that is what the CDC states, then cruising will be done.

But it's already happened - more than once - and there are people who say they would cruise tomorrow.

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet if you told 4,000 people on a cruise ship if 1 person gets Covid-19, that they would not be able to return to port until 100% of passengers test negative and you will be stuck in a prison cell until that happens, no one would get on a cruise. It would cripple fleets world wide. Cruises should be no different than taxi, Uber, Lyft, air travel, trains, buses, etc. There is no difference on the methods of travel and that is what the real problem is.

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I would be willing to bet if you told 4,000 people on a cruise ship if 1 person gets Covid-19, that they would not be able to return to port until 100% of passengers test negative and you will be stuck in a prison cell until that happens, no one would get on a cruise. It would cripple fleets world wide. Cruises should be no different than taxi, Uber, Lyft, air travel, trains, buses, etc. There is no difference on the methods of travel and that is what the real problem is.

A cruise is not just a method of travel.

You do not eat, drink, relax, swim, and watch entertainment with 3,000 other people for seven days on taxis, Uber, Lyft, air travel, trains, buses, or anything else.  

• Like 2