The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Here goes. The gentleman commemorated on the plaque is called Stefan Banasik. But that is his name in German, his Polish name is Bronislaw Banasik. He was a Polish soldier and "activist". Now you need deepl (great translating tool) or a good knowledge of Polish:

https://nsz.com.pl/banasik-bronisaw/

I phoned the Mariahilf Monastery, but unfortunately the gentleman on the phone could not tell me more as he has not been with the Brethren that long. He assumes it has something to do with the Polish congregation that regularly holds services in the church.

This is where I found the statue: https://www.kunst-niederbayern.de/bekuemmerter-christus.html

Looks a nice website for roaming around looking at modern art.

notamermaid

PS: We are still on a wild card...

• Like 1

Thanks so much @notamermaid - I appreciate your research! 🙂 

Interesting fellow - after reading the linked articles, I surmise that the shrine commemorates a brave Polish soldier/anti-communist resistance activist on the occasion of his 100th birthday.

I would think that Warsaw would be a more appropriate location for the shrine - especially considering Bronislaw"s love of the city and his desire to return. Wonder why the shrine is located in Passau - if I return to Passau I will attempt to solve the mystery.

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

Second seating,

I have no idea where your cat is, but it may be a stray as it was seen on a different roof probably far away 😊

RB 

IMG_4540.JPG

That is the one I found also when searching. 

28 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

All my google searches for "cat statue on roof in Europe" pull up notamermaid's cat, who is in Riga, Latvia.

Hmm....off to look further. 

Ritabob's cat I think you mean. No problem.

I have not had a look for cats on chimneys yet, been busy. I will try and get closer by looking at the architecture. Theoretically anywhere really, but it does not look like German roofing. The chimney does not give much away, apart from a certain age. It looks too angled to be a barn but is likely a country farm house in Europe. The wall is interesting as it looks like flint in the main part. If this is correct it points to a place North of the 50 degree latitude as that is where most flintstone is found. Which takes my mind straight to a coastal area of Britain - Kent! The Thames a bit further Northwest would work. Or to the far North the Caledonian Canal in Scotland.

Not sure if this helps anyone, for the moment it does not help me.

notamermaid

Well, I was wrong about England or Scotland but I still think it is flint as it looks a bit like this: https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-brick-flint-house-image1918743

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am learning so much about archeology, history – and now geology from this thread!  Thank you @notamermaid for starting it!

So am I, if only school could have been this fun learning. From Renmar I learned about marl which I did not know what it is. Since he posted this cave photo with a dinosaur statue I have seen a short documentary about the caves at Maastricht underneath Saint Peter's Fort. Also partly marl and with paintings and carvings: https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/destinations/maastricht/fort-st-pieter.htm

notamermaid

Flint (silex in French apparently) is also used in Normandy as there are some pockets where in the area where it is found, not much but some near the Seine. So great idea @Daisi   would not have thought of that.

So who is first with looking up: chat cheminée Normandie?

I want to know if there is a fairy tale behind this, Second Seating, really exciting!

notamermaid

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

So who is first with looking up: chat cheminée Normandie?

I tried that but so far no success. Maybe it is not Normandie but Bretagne (Britany). Although I tried that one too but still "no cigar".

This might become a very difficult one to solve. Maybe a small clue might help us along.

Theo

Edited by Renmar

10 hours ago, Renmar said:

I tried that but so far no success. Maybe it is not Normandie but Bretagne (Britany). Although I tried that one too but still "no cigar".

The French serach with many variations does not work with me either.

Incredible how many cats have been rescued from rooftops and got stuck in chimneys in Europe over the last few years. I have also found some weird places while searching...

But to the photo: a photo of a white cat and pigeon made of ceramics keeps coming up in the search. I think this is not a farmhouse, more an official or other building of note, I guess that from the electrics, some bits are an alarm and stuff perhaps, but the big device looks like a spotlight.

notamermaid

I looked around in Honfleur yesterday with Google street view  at several different buildings. Keep on looking I guess. There is a restaurant called La Chat qui Pêche so I thought that's it but no. Back to drawing board.

Theo