The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Gnome12, you have it! Although it's now a Catholic Cathedral, it was formerly the Grand Mosque of Cordoba, well over 1000 years old in parts.

Here is the full picture. I cropped it to include only a tiny bit of the famous red and white brick double arches. I figured that might make it too easy if I left all of them in the picture.

DSC_10K_4153.thumb.JPG.fac33bec00e6d986071931135acefa56.JPG

And another of the famous arches. It's a beautiful place; pretty unique (at least to me).

DSC_10K_4156.thumb.JPG.93e6120c314e24ed0ba9f12b64ba176e.JPG

We visited here 11 years ago, in January 2010. We spend a week in Marbella (how touristy!) but did self-driving tours to Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, and Gibraltar among others. It was a great time and we'd do it again for sure.

Over to you - or will it be another wild card?

That is pretty cool!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Wild card, as usual.

I will take the wildcard - for all of those dog lovers out there. Not sure if there is enough in this pic to figure it out. If not - I will try to add another picture. I think there may be parts recognizable to those who have traveled here.

IMG_0753.thumb.jpeg.50a7dbfcbafcd7a6fe830f3168f3e81c.jpeg

Edited by Coral

23 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Are there cruises on this river?

Theo

None that I have taken, but notamermaid has mentioned it a few times now as a river from which we had not posted a picture, so I took that as my cue.

Smaller ocean ships can cruise upriver at least as far as Sevilla. Croisieurope offers river cruises up to at least Cordoba.

15 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks, Coral - I actually saw that your post appeared first so I went to sleep thinking I'd wake up to your post this morning.

Here is one. Name the location, city, and river where I saw this ceiling.

I left a subtle clue in the picture which should be recognizable if you've been there. I cropped some to try to make it less obvious. I know you ringers out there will get this in a few minutes anyway.

2038065490_CCPic33.thumb.jpg.98844ad30b53832bcb03fbb7c1574170.jpg

I had a little difficulty with this picture because what looks like red and yellow on the arches at the side is really red and white. I visited on a land tour of Andalucia in 2016, but there are river cruises on the Guadalquivir and Guadiana rivers, although today the Guadalquivir isn't navigable upstream from Seville, so Cordoba would be an excursion. (In Roman times it was navigable to Cordoba.) As mentioned, CroisiEurope sails the Guadalquivir river (although I think Cordoba is done as an excursion from Seville), and there are excursion boats doing round trips from Seville.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Thanks, interesting that in the Roman times it was possible to go all the way to Cordoba. Probably the ship were way smaller then than the ones used today.

Theo

It may be ship size, but it may also be sediment brought down into the upper river.

You are right, the buildings don't look like they are in Holland/Amsterdam. And I think that the smaller sheds are not houseboats but garden sheds probably belonging to the people in the apartment block. I still think that the paving and the wall has something to do with it. Both the paving and the wall look like granite.

Theo

Are these huts? It looks a bit grey, the trees have no leaves. I think this was taken in late Autumn or Winter, so perhaps these are Christmas market stalls.

The dog is certainly the cutest thing in the photo. 

notamermaid

It is not Holland or Amsterdam. It maybe Christmas stalls.

The stone I found very unique. I looked at previous pictures and I think it has been re-done. What the dog is walking on is famous for this city. Here is another picture.IMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.8d28db56d2bc142acfdc51dac0b64875.jpeg

Edited by Coral

This looks like modern paving, but possibly on an old bridge, seeing that the building at the bridge in the second photo is at least 200 years old. I think I have seen it on photos before. Not sure, but I would place this ensemble on the Main or Danube.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

This looks like modern paving, but possibly on an old bridge, seeing that the building at the bridge in the second photo is at least 200 years old. I think I have seen it on photos before. Not sure, but I would place this ensemble on the Main or Danube.

notamermaid

It is an old bridge. You have the area correct. It is the bridge that I am looking for. The bridge is famous for the area. If you are familiar with the bridge, you are familiar with the city.

Edited by Coral

Is the famous sausage restaurant hiding behind the umbrella on the left?

I will post a new photo soon.  Most of our pics are on the computer that is in use at the moment.  Someone is waiting for the portal to open for vaccines. 

RB

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coral said:

I will take the wildcard - for all of those dog lovers out there. Not sure if there is enough in this pic to figure it out. If not - I will try to add another picture. I think there may be parts recognizable to those who have traveled here.

IMG_0753.thumb.jpeg.50a7dbfcbafcd7a6fe830f3168f3e81c.jpeg

Bonus points for anyone who can name the dog??? Just joking - I didn't get his name either. I used to have one German Shepherd who would always walk with a tennis ball in her mouth and the other who would walk with a stuffed hedge hog in her mouth. I just fell in love with this dog.

27 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Is the famous sausage restaurant hiding behind the umbrella on the left?

I will post a new photo soon.  Most of our pics are on the computer that is in use at the moment.  Someone is waiting for the portal to open for vaccines. 

RB

Not part of the quiz - is this the building you are referring to:

IMG_0658.thumb.jpeg.eff05b8069e0c5db3d16161af24e5395.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

is this the building you are referring to:

When we were here the proprietor was shooing everyone away from sitting on the benches if they hadn't purchased food from his establishment. 

Late to the game but I love the dog! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Bonus points for anyone who can name the dog??? Just joking - I didn't get his name either. I used to have one German Shepherd who would always walk with a tennis ball in her mouth and the other who would walk with a stuffed hedge hog in her mouth. I just fell in love with this dog.

We had people in the community growing up who used to take their sheepdog to the grocery store (think corner shop, small town) and always had to buy something small to put in a bag for the dog to carry home.  Everyone knew the dog, and often would offer to get something small for them to give the dog something to carry.

• Like 2