Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

Due to this thread, I opened up Medallion Class on my Samsung S10 and I saw it was upgraded to the new version. 

Looks like all our old data carried forward still - such as profile info, personal info, travel docs.  I was able to add my VISA for onboard purchases.  I wouldn't use that one onshore for our next voyages (Europe).  Or maybe I will change between now and then. 

Our next voyages were showing even though >500 days away.  

The Blue Line is just a readiness step and by the time I had updated things, I had moved to 3/4.  To be fully ready, you need a boarding group.  That is going to make it 4/4 steps.  IDK if I am going to like this boarding group thing.  Will have to find out if they keep it up still in late 2022.  We always board early, arriving at terminal ahead of most folks. 

Had no issues accessing spouse info as a travel companion.  Looks like I can add our friends as well once I get their booking numbers. 

Setup free Medallion option.  Very disappointed in Princess as they still show only USA for delivery.  They "promised" multiple times back in 2019 era that Canada would be added "soon".  Last cruise we took, I shipped Medallions to our pre-cruise hotel in FLL.  But that won't work as we depart from Italy.  It isn't a deal-breaker, but just annoying and disappointing as it really isn't a big deal for them to mail to Canada as easily as to USA.  Just being lazy I expect.  Hope for change in the next year+.

For those not getting access, perhaps your smartphones need a system update and you have not been accepting them from Samsung or other Android provider???  This could be a rabbit hole and I don't want to go down it, but I do know that operating system versions are often updated without having to get a new phone.  That said, I do upgrade phone after 2+-3 yrs.  I have had S6, S8, S10, but I got the S10 after it had been out for a year at least and the current model was the S20.  Saved money and have a great phone.  Now we are in the S21 era.  I will probably get a S22 in 2023.

The new app gives access to all the OCEAN apps from the same place - same as last version. 

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

For those not getting access, perhaps your smartphones need a system update and you have not been accepting them from Samsung or other Android provider???  This could be a rabbit hole and I don't want to go down it, but I do know that operating system versions are often updated without having to get a new phone.  That said, I do upgrade phone after 2+-3 yrs.  I have had S6, S8, S10, but I got the S10 after it had been out for a year at least and the current model was the S20.  Saved money and have a great phone.  Now we are in the S21 era.  I will probably get a S22 in 2023.

Thanks for the info in your post Steelers.

In relation to the above about phones and updates, it can be the case the phone needs an update. It is also probable that many phones cannot accept the newer updates. If you have a Samsung mobile they have a page where all models of phone are listed and what latest version of Android they can take. That is where I confirmed I have the latest version for my phone but this version will not work with the updated App. I will update my perfectly good phone but first I'll wait to see if my next cruise looks like happening. 

Edited by leck57
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I was able to add my VISA for onboard purchases.  I wouldn't use that one onshore for our next voyages (Europe).  Or maybe I will change between now and then. 

I was surprised that it’s necessary to enter my chargecard info again for their MedallionPay system because that was already entered into my Cruise Personalizer.

By default it has the Shoreside Merchants payment option selected which I have no desire to use so I deselected that option.

2853418C-C16A-4301-8F35-86F70449285C.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, drowelf said:

Hum, thats not my experience. I downloaded an app from the Play Store just yesterday, but when I went to open it, I was told that it was written for Android 8 and would not execute on my S20 (Android 11). It told me to contact the developer to see when an Android 11 version of the app would be available. 

Very weird. I'm running Android 11 and it works for me. Are you getting the correct app? (I realize this link says OceanCompass but it is the Medallion Class app. My phone with Android 11 has it installed. (It says it's not available for my tablet which is running Android 7.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carnival.gxi.ocean.compass.OceanCompass

image.png.153c3de819a537e099a7bd8e946e87ac.png

image.png.509db3638a53cb766504afa9888fcb24.png

Edited by Thrak

Yesterday I couldn’t get the Blue Lane arrival status (3 of 4) to show for my next cruise, but the one after that did show it. Today it’s working for my next cruise.

I’m guessing the app is still a little glitchy.

I’m using an iPhone and the app updated on its own??? I don’t show it as a recent update from the App Store for the medallion app. Weird

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Setup free Medallion option.  Very disappointed in Princess as they still show only USA for delivery.  They "promised" multiple times back in 2019 era that Canada would be added "soon".  Last cruise we took, I shipped Medallions to our pre-cruise hotel in FLL.  But that won't work as we depart from Italy.  It isn't a deal-breaker, but just annoying and disappointing as it really isn't a big deal for them to mail to Canada as easily as to USA.  Just being lazy I expect.  Hope for change in the next year+.

Maybe it has to do with what it takes to go through Canadian customs.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

From what I have read they don't come from the USA so customs has to be dealt with somewhere, they don't even ship to the UK and they have an office here!

5 hours ago, caribill said:

I really doubt that is an issue.  Besides, they were originating from Singapore I think it was.  Any attached value would be below a threshold of concern. I don't recall the precise labelling on my last shipment.

16 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I was surprised that it’s necessary to enter my chargecard info again for their MedallionPay system because that was already entered into my Cruise Personalizer.

By default it has the Shoreside Merchants payment option selected which I have no desire to use so I deselected that option.

2853418C-C16A-4301-8F35-86F70449285C.jpeg

I was able to set up Medallion Pay for myself but when I try the "Add Beneficiary" and select DW/travel companion to give her access, the "Save" button stays greyed out and I cannot add her. She doesn't want to have a separate on-board account with her own credit card. Maybe another glitch in the new app??

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Very weird. I'm running Android 11 and it works for me. Are you getting the correct app? (I realize this link says OceanCompass but it is the Medallion Class app. My phone with Android 11 has it installed. (It says it's not available for my tablet which is running Android 7.)

Sorry for not being clear. I was not referencing the Medallion App, which I have and works fine, but was commenting about the post that stated that the Play Store did not show apps that were not supported on your device. 

On 4/29/2021 at 12:59 PM, Thrak said:

This made me laugh. While my wife is actually quite intelligent I used to have her "test" things when I was in beginning programming classes. I'd make things work great and then ask her to check it out. She would do something bizarre like press several random keys at the same time in rapid sequence and, of course since I was a beginning programmer, the thing broke. It was a good learning experience for me. A well programmed app has to take into account people doing things that seem utterly bizarre because, somewhere, at some time, someone will do those bizarre things. Asking, "Why in the world would anybody ever do that?" is of not use. You have to program for weirdness. It's also unfortunate the programming folks get "tunnel vision" and don't seem to see how different parts of an app that work great as a piece can fail to work together as a whole.

Note: I would have been an absolutely horrible programmer.

I did programming for years and years.....also did a lot of beta testing for code others had written. The latter was a lot of fun, trying to "break things" is sometimes more fun that "making things". I was probably better at the "breaking" than the "making"! It was also more fun! 😎

BTW, I want to use my Kindle Fire with the Princess Medallion app, but apparently it has not been available for Kindle Fires. Many have reported the "google play store fix" works okay with the the previous Medallion App, but I have not tried that one, nor this new one. My next cruise is still over 6 months away, so I'll wait for the "breakers" to get things sorted before I try it........

• Like 1

One of the things that's buried in there (and I love it) has to do with what dining speed you prefer. I believe the choices are slow, relaxed and fast. I've been on cruises where it's painfully slow, and others way too fast. I suppose you could have always told the waiter to speed up or slow down, but I like being able to make my choice known in another way. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I suppose you could have always told the waiter to speed up

we've "asked, not told" our waiters ( we sit at 2 tops ) if we can be out of there in an hour as there was a show we really wanted to see, no problem if not, we'd just like to know ...

45 minutes later we were walking out ... I think we prolly skipped dessert and had that at the IC afterward 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, Astro Flyer said:

I updated last night to the improved MedallionClass app for my iPad however my iPhone version in the App Store isn’t available yet...anyone had any luck with an iPhone? I have the latest iOS on both devices.

No problems ordering the Medallion for October but it appears the previous lanyard & rectangular plastic holder is no longer included. We didn’t use them & didn’t see a lot of passengers using it either. We bought aftermarket clips through Amazon which worked well for us.

Currently using the updated medallion class app on iphone 11.  Works well.  

Has anyone noticed a blank white screen when trying to load the "Choose your OceanMedillion" page within the OceanReady Profile? I'm on a fully updated iPhone 12 Pro. Everything else seems to work fine in here, but the ordering page is not. Might have more to do with my next July 2021 cruise being in a possibly about to redeploy/re-route state, but I get the same error on mu Aug 2022 cruise as well.

1 minute ago, ChangeOrder said:

Has anyone noticed a blank white screen when trying to load the "Choose your OceanMedillion" page within the OceanReady Profile? I'm on a fully updated iPhone 12 Pro. Everything else seems to work fine in here, but the ordering page is not. Might have more to do with my next July 2021 cruise being in a possibly about to redeploy/re-route state, but I get the same error on mu Aug 2022 cruise as well.

I was able to order ours for an upcoming July 5, 2021 cruise (which will probably be cancelled.) Holding onto a tiny thread of hope though! The app still seems a bit glitchy at times. 

50 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Currently using the updated medallion class app on iphone 11.  Works well.  

Thanks…I made a subsequent post explaining my oops mistake.

Since the MC app on my iPhone hadn’t been used in a longtime it was automatically sent to the Cloud. After returning the app I was able to use the improved updated version. My apologies for creating any confusion. 

1 hour ago, Dunk said:

One of the things that's buried in there (and I love it) has to do with what dining speed you prefer.

Thanks for pointing out that new request option. 👍

There’s also an option to request Repeat Dining Location for those using Anytime Dining.

A43DCB61-D819-44DB-81C2-389AB04D1A4E.jpeg

36 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

When selecting that app option my screen briefly goes white then dark grey showing “Loading” before opening my order for an October 2021 cruise. I haven’t attempted to order OMs for 2022 not knowing whether we’ll sail on both of them & both cruises do not have an OM ordering option. I have the same experience on updated iPhone 12 & latest iPad.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, joepeka said:

I was able to set up Medallion Pay for myself but when I try the "Add Beneficiary" and select DW/travel companion to give her access, the "Save" button stays greyed out and I cannot add her. She doesn't want to have a separate on-board account with her own credit card. Maybe another glitch in the new app??

I do seem to recall having that problem when working with the new version a few days ago.  That said, I am an IT guy, so I just went about it again or something like a do-over.  Sorry, cannot tell you exactly, but everything worked out with both of us updated and my card recorded similar to Cruise Personalizer.  I wouldn't likely use the on-shore feature either.  Anyway, try it again and see if you cannot get success.

4 hours ago, Dunk said:

One of the things that's buried in there (and I love it) has to do with what dining speed you prefer. I believe the choices are slow, relaxed and fast. I've been on cruises where it's painfully slow, and others way too fast. I suppose you could have always told the waiter to speed up or slow down, but I like being able to make my choice known in another way. 

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

we've "asked, not told" our waiters ( we sit at 2 tops ) if we can be out of there in an hour as there was a show we really wanted to see, no problem if not, we'd just like to know ...

45 minutes later we were walking out ... I think we prolly skipped dessert and had that at the IC afterward 

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

There’s also an option to request Repeat Dining Location for those using Anytime Dining.

I think this is a great feature, likely intended for folks who choose or end up seated at 6-top and higher tables.  It makes a lot of sense if the MD can seat passengers together who prefer similar pacing of the meal.  I suspect it is another piece of info to help them out. 

It can even help 4-tops, but those are often folks who are traveling together from my observations.  Of course, 2-tops and these 4's can always let their waiter know when they need to move things along.  I imagine it is more difficult to speed along one couple out of 3 or 4 at a 6/8/10-top.

We won't use it as usually travelling with friends and use a 4-top or select 2-top if alone.  I think it is easy to simply work with the waiter and they are great in accommodating.

I really think the purpose is to assist with matching tablemates.

Edited by Steelers36

10 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Before the Pandemic there was no assigned Anytime Dining room. You could use anyone that was open for Anytime and did not have to stick to the same one.

Not sure why they are now asking for an Anytime dining room preference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Before the Pandemic there was no assigned Anytime Dining room. You could use anyone that was open for Anytime and did not have to stick to the same one.

Not sure why they are now asking for an Anytime dining room preference.

I am not sure either, but if we want to use either,  that is an option to mark isn't it? I don't have the new app on my phone so I do not know.

15 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…I made a subsequent post explaining my oops mistake.

Since the MC app on my iPhone hadn’t been used in a longtime it was automatically sent to the Cloud. After returning the app I was able to use the improved updated version. My apologies for creating any confusion. 

No worries;  its all good.  That is the good thing about these forums;  people helping people.  

• Like 1