Laundry Services Stopped?

mellon1

My husband just asked if anyone on CC mentioned about the laundry services onboard with all the covid regulations.  I said I hadn't seen anything.  How would that work?  Lots of elites onboard with free laundry.  Self-service would  be an issue also I would think as other people's clothes washed prior to your load going in.  I know soap is supposed to kill covid; however, with all the CDC requirements, I wonder what they are doing about this issue.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?  

Thanks...Mary

Just now, Steelers36 said:

I think you are over-thinking it.

I agree far in advance, but we have 42 days booked early 2022 on B2Bs and hubby, of course, is thinking about luggage!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I think you are over-thinking it.

Plus 1! Getting COVID-19 from contact has shown to be not much of a risk. By the time we're all sailing I expect the laundry rooms will be fully open, especially if it's with vaccinated passengers.

• Like 11

If Princess decides to go with the 95/98% vaccinated option, I'm not sure what the issue would be with offering laundry services. If Princess on the other hand opts for not requiring vaccinations, I really would not want to use their self-serve laundromat facilities. Of course laundry services really would only come into play if you were on a B2B sailing as the startup cruises will only be 7 days in length according to the CSO guidelines.

53 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

My husband just asked if anyone on CC mentioned about the laundry services onboard with all the covid regulations.  I said I hadn't seen anything.  How would that work?  Lots of elites onboard with free laundry.  Self-service would  be an issue also I would think as other people's clothes washed prior to your load going in.  I know soap is supposed to kill covid; however, with all the CDC requirements, I wonder what they are doing about this issue.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?  

Thanks...Mary

Misleading title. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If Princess decides to go with the 95/98% vaccinated option, I'm not sure what the issue would be with offering laundry services. If Princess on the other hand opts for not requiring vaccinations, I really would not want to use their self-serve laundromat facilities. Of course laundry services really would only come into play if you were on a B2B sailing as the startup cruises will only be 7 days in length according to the CSO guidelines.

The new recommendations talk about back to back cruises. So that hurdle is history. You are not going to get virus from a washing machine if you are vaccinated. The odds of getting COVID if you are vaccinated from any source is negligible 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, memoak said:

The new recommendations talk about back to back cruises. So that hurdle is history. You are not going to get virus from a washing machine if you are vaccinated. The odds of getting COVID if you are vaccinated from any source is negligible 

No, but there's a better chance that COVID could be passed between unmasked, unvaccinated folks while passing in and out of or waiting in the laundry room for their clothes to finish. That's why we're hoping Princess chooses the 95/98% vaccinated option when submitting their Phase 2A protocol plans to drastically minimize that potential.

• Like 3

We vacationed at the Oregon coast this last winter (Jan 2021).  Hotel Laundromats were closed due to COVID-19.  (presumably because they are small rooms)  However, the Laundromat in town was offering laundry services for a very reasonable fee because of the need.

So my guess is that if the cruises are unable to require 99%/95% vaccination rates, then self-laundry might be closed.  Or, potentially open by appointment only through/with the Medallion?

So it's possible we can use the self-service laundry, but we may be limited to the Steward/crew laundry services which would be an added expense.  Not a deal breaker for us.  I don't want to unnecessarily waste money but if it is necessary to start up Cruising again, then we can handle it.  (I will add that Princess is one of the few cruise lines that even has self-service laundry.)

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Of course laundry services really would only come into play if you were on a B2B sailing as the startup cruises will only be 7 days in length according to the CSO guidelines.

Or if before embarking you spent a week or two on land based vacation days and thus do not have enough clean clothes for the Princess voyage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Covid is not a contact disease it's transmitted via airborne droplets IE breathing. 

Thank you.  I was waiting to see if anyone who knew the facts would post this so I didn't have to.  

• Like 2

Just to set the OP straight, soap does not kill covid, any more than it kills any bacteria or virus.  Soap is a surfactant, meaning it breaks down the surface tension on whatever it contacts, so the bacteria or viruses are flushed away, while still live and active.  If the laundry soap has an anti-bacterial or anti-viral agent added, then it may kill something.

As for laundry services, what is different between taking passenger's clothing and laundering it, as opposed to taking the same passengers' bed linen and laundering it?

• Like 10

Believe covid virus is a ball of fatty acid with protein spikes. Soap and detergents may not actually kill the virus, but they break down the fatty acid making the virus ineffective, and washes them away. 

• Like 4