Masking on long flights

Nebr.cruiser

I don't find it difficult to wear a mask when just sitting (as on a plane); however it can be challenging for me when I am walking in a hot or humid environment or toting a lot of luggage, etc. so navigating the airport is the tougher part. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't find it difficult to wear a mask when just sitting (as on a plane); however it can be challenging for me when I am walking in a hot or humid environment or toting a lot of luggage, etc. so navigating the airport is the tougher part. 

Agree/  Navigating with bifocals and masks is a challenge for me even shopping, I can imagine trying to get around an airport with luggage.  I may have a 15 hours non stop next year, hope things  improve in the year ahead for all of us trying to travel.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but your “hardship” (and my occasionally fogging glasses) are mere inconveniences in the relative scheme of all things Covid. 
Just wear the mask and try to be satisfied with your good deed of adding to the protection of all with whom you may interact.

I wear masks when I have to but I don't want to see them imposed for any longer than necessary. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I wear masks when I have to but I don't want to see them imposed for any longer than necessary. 

Yes, and the problem is regualtions often do not go away when the need for them no longer exists.

• Like 5

Those who find their glasses fogging may want to try any of these methods to alleviate that issue:

1) use anti fogging spray on the glasses, similar to what snorkelers use on their face masks..

2) wear their glasses a touch lower on their nose to allow more circulation of ambient air to counteract exhaled air

3) try to ensure a tighter fit or seal between their nose and the mask.  Most reliable masks have a bendable wire insert for this purpose.

Remember that fogged glasses could be sign that a mask is being worn improperly and thereby lowering its effectiveness.

For those who don't find these measures suitable, compare the inconvenience of mask wearing to the problem of contracting or transmitting the virus, maybe that perspective can help.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Those who find their glasses fogging may want to try any of these methods to alleviate that issue:

1) use anti fogging spray on the glasses, similar to what snorkelers use on their face masks..

2) wear their glasses a touch lower on their nose to allow more circulation of ambient air to counteract exhaled air

3) try to ensure a tighter fit or seal between their nose and the mask.  Most reliable masks have a bendable wire insert for this purpose.

Remember that fogged glasses could be sign that a mask is being worn improperly and thereby lowering its effectiveness.

For those who don't find these measures suitable, compare the inconvenience of mask wearing to the problem of contracting or transmitting the virus, maybe that perspective can help.

If contracting or transmitting the virus is really that big of a concern should anyone be taking non-essential travel? I know that if I were that concerned about my safety with any of the protocols in place by the government or carriers that I would stay home, only going out for what I absolutely have to go out for. 

• Like 3

While not across the pond I did fly to Seattle from Florida, 5 1/2 hours on the plane plus a couple hours in the airport before.  Mask wasn't an issue.

On the way back I had a late red eye flight home which meant spending a lot of time in the Seattle airport after the cruise and before boarding my 5+ hour flight to Florida.  Masked the whole time and slept with a mask on the plane.

I have Bose noise cancelling headsets and I looped my mask to the headsets so the ear loops were not irritating the back of my ear for the whole time on the way back.  Worked out quite well.  I also brought a new mask that I put on right before boarding the flight so I had a fresh mask.  

Not a fan of masks at all but sucked it up so I could enjoy my Alaska cruise.  It wasn't as bad as I feared (the mask thing that is)

• Like 1

I am a Brit living in the USA. Last November I flew back to the UK (from Kansas) and by the time I got to my rental car I had been wearing a KN 95 mask for 21 hours, thanks to a very long layover in Chicago!!

Things that helped: extra masks so you can change if you feel like it,  a strap that goes behind your head to take the elastics off of your ears (something like these, soft rubbery ones are the most comfortable: https://smile.amazon.com/MIAODAM-Adjustable-Extender-Extension-Extending/dp/B0872Z17DH/ref=sxin_14_trfob_obrv2_3_B0872Z17DH?crid=2A6HGLE14FMC2&cv_ct_cx=face+mask+neck+strap+for+adults&dchild=1&keywords=face+mask+neck+strap+for+adults&pd_rd_i=B0872Z17DH&pd_rd_r=12f27f07-e4c9-4f0c-bb75-25a07e33c42e&pd_rd_w=L4y3n&pd_rd_wg=CbFs4&pf_rd_p=1d6e366b-5f11-4530-8e71-2f6bdec54b20&pf_rd_r=FDWFS8YBYWS3ZQ3YH3AS&qid=1633618929&sprefix=face+mask+neck+str%2Caps%2C427&sr=1-4-fce42522-50ed-4c3a-b4cc-39c8aaa1be5f

A face mask with straps that don't go around your ears would also help - but I wanted to wear a KN95 to best protect my vulnerable parents.

Many teachers that I used to work with wear these types of things to make masks easier to wear all day: https://smile.amazon.com/Silicone-Homemade-Comfortable-Breathing-Washable/dp/B09C5GTW1W/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=13DG9X5ZI8VRS&dchild=1&keywords=face+mask+brackets+for+adults&qid=1633619023&sprefix=face+mask+brac%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN1c4NEEwQVFKTTFJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzk4NjAyMlJZN09NNElLQzRVOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTQ0NzU0MUlRTkdKTkozSTVOTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You can remove your mask to eat/drink, and those short breaks do help.

Also, wearing a mask to try and get used to it will help. I find disposable masks easier to tolerate than fabric ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mom says said:

Unfortunately,  public health concerns supercede your personal mask fitting problems. Mask rules are not there just to inconvenience you, and I would hope they will remain in place as long as necessary.

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but your “hardship” (and my occasionally fogging glasses) are mere inconveniences in the relative scheme of all things Covid. 
Just wear the mask and try to be satisfied with your good deed of adding to the protection of all with whom you may interact.

This thread is about folks who have an issue wearing masks on long flights and how they might deal with it.  I don't think anyone is suggesting masks not be worn.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, britincanada said:

I am a Brit living in the USA. Last November I flew back to the UK (from Kansas) and by the time I got to my rental car I had been wearing a KN 95 mask for 21 hours, thanks to a very long layover in Chicago!!

Things that helped: extra masks so you can change if you feel like it,  a strap that goes behind your head to take the elastics off of your ears (something like these, soft rubbery ones are the most comfortable: https://smile.amazon.com/MIAODAM-Adjustable-Extender-Extension-Extending/dp/B0872Z17DH/ref=sxin_14_trfob_obrv2_3_B0872Z17DH?crid=2A6HGLE14FMC2&cv_ct_cx=face+mask+neck+strap+for+adults&dchild=1&keywords=face+mask+neck+strap+for+adults&pd_rd_i=B0872Z17DH&pd_rd_r=12f27f07-e4c9-4f0c-bb75-25a07e33c42e&pd_rd_w=L4y3n&pd_rd_wg=CbFs4&pf_rd_p=1d6e366b-5f11-4530-8e71-2f6bdec54b20&pf_rd_r=FDWFS8YBYWS3ZQ3YH3AS&qid=1633618929&sprefix=face+mask+neck+str%2Caps%2C427&sr=1-4-fce42522-50ed-4c3a-b4cc-39c8aaa1be5f

A face mask with straps that don't go around your ears would also help - but I wanted to wear a KN95 to best protect my vulnerable parents.

Many teachers that I used to work with wear these types of things to make masks easier to wear all day: https://smile.amazon.com/Silicone-Homemade-Comfortable-Breathing-Washable/dp/B09C5GTW1W/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=13DG9X5ZI8VRS&dchild=1&keywords=face+mask+brackets+for+adults&qid=1633619023&sprefix=face+mask+brac%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN1c4NEEwQVFKTTFJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzk4NjAyMlJZN09NNElLQzRVOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTQ0NzU0MUlRTkdKTkozSTVOTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You can remove your mask to eat/drink, and those short breaks do help.

Also, wearing a mask to try and get used to it will help. I find disposable masks easier to tolerate than fabric ones.

My SIL recently used one of the gadgets in your second link.  She says she really likes it.  

Edited by ldubs

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If contracting or transmitting the virus is really that big of a concern should anyone be taking non-essential travel? I know that if I were that concerned about my safety with any of the protocols in place by the government or carriers that I would stay home, only going out for what I absolutely have to go out for. 

We are not being hermits, but when it comes right down to it, what you say is why we have held off on air travel up to now.   

• Like 3

We flew to South Dakota this summer because we had vouchers we had to use this year.  While it wasn't a long flight there were fairly long layovers coming and going.  We are not used to wearing masks since they are not needed for the most part in our daily life.  What helped us was spending as much time in the airports at restaurants where we didn't have to wear the masks.  Then once we got our beverage/snack on the plane I just held it up to my mouth for awhile to get a break.  We won't be flying again for a long time because it is a PITA to deal with it.  There are a lot of places we can drive to instead.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:04 AM, lissie said:

What's to get away with? They are effective as any mask short of an actual fitted n95 which no one else is wearing on a plane either. For me it acutally means I can keep it on and not touch it - any other  mask I 'm forever pulling away from my face so I can  unfog my glasses 

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/12/21/neck-gaiters-are-effective-face-coverings-says-cdc-and-niosh-report.aspx

Its not really Europe I'm  concerned about - we won't be there until next  year - I doubt that masks will still be in widespread use by then. Like the  OP I  may well be stuck with a 30 hour flight to get there and that's where I think facemasks will hang around for longer. 

It’s easy to take a piece of cloth and place it inside the top part of the mask, fixes the fog problem.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We recently cruised the Carnival Mardi Gras with reduced capacity, indoor masking guidance and 95% vaxxed cruisers.  Purely non essential.

We felt safer on the ship than in our local supermarkets and big box stores where only 57% of our SW Florida neighbors are vaccinated.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We recently cruised the Carnival Mardi Gras with reduced capacity, indoor masking guidance and 95% vaxxed cruisers.  Purely non essential.

We felt safer on the ship than in our local supermarkets and big box stores where only 57% of our SW Florida neighbors are vaccinated.

Getting away fro FL was a smart move.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6520/?source=99360&fbclid=IwAR0d4Bj9DbkH0QVmk2IEpWU1ysVuX_959Ic6Z6w5kWydZhgIfupiLvdjsdo

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, and the problem is regualtions often do not go away when the need for them no longer exists.

Maybe compare it to speed limits or seat belts. I don't need them every minute I'm driving but those are the rules.

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Agree.  Neither do I, but I am concerned that the current concerns about a very bad flu season, even if the Covid pandemic lessens, the authorities are going to keep mask requirements in place.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I know that if I were that concerned about my safety with any of the protocols in place by the government or carriers that I would stay home, only going out for what I absolutely have to go out for. 

When the Covid numbers began to climb again in Ohio and with our General Assembly making our Governor reluctant to once again do the excellent job that he had been doing when the pandemic began, I considered re-entering my bubble.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

We are not being hermits, but when it comes right down to it, what you say is why we have held off on air travel up to now.   

I knew my bubble had been broken.  Psychologically, was it good for me to re-enter it again?  Now that I have the third dose of the Pfizer vaccine, I feel increasing confidence that re-entering local society is a safe thing to do.  But, I am not ready to start traveling again.  I do admire those who feel comfortable enough to travel.  The experiences, both positive and negative, that they choose to share with us are learning moments and provide information on which to reflect.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Maybe compare it to speed limits or seat belts. I don't need them every minute I'm driving but those are the rules.

But, you never know when you will actually need the seat belt.

My DW was actually one of the few people who regularly wore them before the law made them mandatory. She was rear ended once while stopped at a red light. When she was deposed by the lawyer for the other person's insurance company, she was asked if she was wearing her seat belt. After she answered yes, he went off the record and said that was the first time anyone had ever gave yes as an answer to that question when he asked it.

I started wearing a seat belt soon after that when our son, then a preschooler, would ask me if I was wearing a seat belt and I did not have a good explanation if I answered no.

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

Not defending the "I can't wear my mask for hours on end" group, but, at least in my case, moving my glasses  "a touch lower" puts them out of focus.  

When/if my glasses start fogging up when wearing a mask, I just  adjust the mask until it stops.  Sometimes that means moving the mask up further under edge of my glasses, sometimes it means a bit lower on my nose (but still covering my nose).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

This thread is about folks who have an issue wearing masks on long flights and how they might deal with it.  I don't think anyone is suggesting masks not be worn.  

“issue” is a fuzzy term.   I do not like wearing a mask, so I clearly have an “issue” with wearing masks.    Unfortunately, a lot of people are extraordinarily sensitive and feel that requiring wearing a mask is an invasion of their “rights”.    As in much else in life, sometimes you just need to do what you need to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

But, you never know when you will actually need the seat belt.

My DW was actually one of the few people who regularly wore them before the law made them mandatory. She was rear ended once while stopped at a red light. When she was deposed by the lawyer for the other person's insurance company, she was asked if she was wearing her seat belt. After she answered yes, he went off the record and said that was the first time anyone had ever gave yes as an O  that question when he asked it.

I started wearing a seat belt soon after that when our son, then a preschooler, would ask me if I was wearing a seat belt and I did not have a good explanation if I answered no.

I had been at my aunt's house on New Year's Eve and was driving home sober and saw a bunch of people who weren't sober. So I made a resolution to wear seat belt. A few months later I was stopped in traffic and got rear ended by a 'big rig' truck who had swerved out of his lane to avoid hitting someone backing out of a driveway. I had on my glasses and they hit the windshield of my VW bug.

I'll wear my mask for the same 'what-if' reason.

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As in much else in life, sometimes you just need to do what you need to do.

Or don't and pay the consequences. I'm not ready to fly intl but when I do I'll wear the mask...maybe even if it's not required.

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

None of these work - been there done that. Actually #2 does work - but then the bifocals don't work and its hard to explain but it makes it hard to judge distance and its easy to trip - its also easy for the  glasses to fall off your face. 

The best I've had is a KN95 - its  seals tight across the nose - but not tight enough - but I can get about 5min without having th adjust the mask or glasses or both 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lissie said:

None of these work - been there done that. Actually #2 does work - but then the bifocals don't work and its hard to explain but it makes it hard to judge distance and its easy to trip - its also easy for the  glasses to fall off your face. 

The best I've had is a KN95 - its  seals tight across the nose - but not tight enough - but I can get about 5min without having th adjust the mask or glasses or both 

I have a couple of “tailored” cloth face masks - which very closely conform to the shape of my nose and cheekbones.  When I wear them, I experience NO fogging of my glasses. Also, you can apply anti-fogging wipe to your glasses.