Cruising the Med with young adult kids, which line?

sarahbeth476

We are longtime Carnival cruisers (and once on NCL) for Caribbean cruises. We are interested in a Mediterranean cruise, maybe Italy, Greece, Egypt. We will have our young adult kids with us, 18 & 20. I’m feeling out of my depth here. Which cruise line would you recommend that would be fun for young adults and moderately priced? 

Define "moderately priced".

The cruise lines don't change their product in different areas. If you felt Carnival or NCL was a good cruise product for you elsewhere, it will be pretty close to the same product elsewhere.

However, for the Med, much of the point is the ports, and time in ports to see the huge volume of sites, history, etc.

I will suggest that you need to think a bit differently then when booking a Caribbean or Alaskan cruise.  With the Med it is all about the ports and itinerary (with the emphasis on itinerary).  Many Med cruises are very port intensive with lots of long port days (a good thing).  The ship becomes secondary, especially when there is only 1 or 2 sea days.   So before you choose a cruise line look at the itinerary offerings and then whittle down your list to the few cruises that have the most interesting ports.  I would add that in the Med you really need to pay attention to the times (and day of the week) in various ports.  Many museums and some sites are closed one day of the week so you need to consider that in your planning.  Also consider that the ultimate destinations can be more then an hour from the port (such as Rome from Civitavecchia, Paris from Le Havre, etc.).  

Another thing about the Med is that there are a lot of cruises that embark in one port and disembark at another.  We find these "open jaw) cruises advantageous since folks can plan on arriving a few days early and departing a few days after their cruise so they get some decent land time at two places.  So we would normally suggest that an itinerary from Barcelona to Civitavecchia is better then a round trip from Barcelona.   You are going to spend a lot of money just getting to Europe so try to enhance your investment with more time and more places.

Hank 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will suggest that you need to think a bit differently then when booking a Caribbean or Alaskan cruise.  With the Med it is all about the ports and itinerary (with the emphasis on itinerary).  Many Med cruises are very port intensive with lots of long port days (a good thing).  The ship becomes secondary, especially when there is only 1 or 2 sea days.   So before you choose a cruise line look at the itinerary offerings and then whittle down your list to the few cruises that have the most interesting ports.  I would add that in the Med you really need to pay attention to the times (and day of the week) in various ports.  Many museums and some sites are closed one day of the week so you need to consider that in your planning.  Also consider that the ultimate destinations can be more then an hour from the port (such as Rome from Civitavecchia, Paris from Le Havre, etc.).  

Another thing about the Med is that there are a lot of cruises that embark in one port and disembark at another.  We find these "open jaw) cruises advantageous since folks can plan on arriving a few days early and departing a few days after their cruise so they get some decent land time at two places.  So we would normally suggest that an itinerary from Barcelona to Civitavecchia is better then a round trip from Barcelona.   You are going to spend a lot of money just getting to Europe so try to enhance your investment with more time and more places.

Hank 

With one notable exception, I agree with Hank (especially about not doing round trips on a cruise ship so that you can add different land stays pre/post).

My disagreement? The ship is never secondary. It is your home away from home. In particular, it is where you eat and sleep. And mediocre food, poor bedding,  crowds, nickel/diming can ruin a vacation. 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank 

Just to add one small note to Hank's post---Monday is the day many, many museums close in the Mediterranean.

The Med is very port intensive--often only one sea day, possibly two, and shore days are often long in order to see the outstanding history, architecture and scenery.  So, to us, lots to do on board, especially things like climbing walls, ice rinks, multiple pools or water slides, etc. are much less important on those itineraries.

You may be leaving the ship at 8 or 9 in the morning and not be back until late afternoon.

Even for young adults those long days mean less time--and energy-- for onboard activities.  We cruise on many different lines, and  if you enjoy a certain line and the itinerary is what you want, go for that, but don't be worried that there is not enough to do on cruise lines you haven't tried.  We feel the major lines are more alike than not as far as food and accomodations go.

Carnival, RCL and NCL do cater more to families and younger passengers as to activities if that is important to you.  We also like Celebrity and Princess, but they are more adult-oriented.

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

aww youth, 😄. Ya wanna get the real Med experience go with MSC.

I do not like MSC in the Med although we do enjoy them (yacht club only) in the Caribbean.  My issue with MSC is that in Europe they operate more like a ferry boat then a cruise ship.  Under normal circumstances folks are embarking/disembarking at almost every port. 

Hank

On 2/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank 

On 2/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

With one notable exception, I agree with Hank (especially about not doing round trips on a cruise ship so that you can add different land stays pre/post).

My disagreement? The ship is never secondary. It is your home away from home. In particular, it is where you eat and sleep. And mediocre food, poor bedding,  crowds, nickel/diming can ruin a vacation. 

I agree with Hank and the notable exception Flatbush Flyer mentions but maybe for a slightly different reason.   Unlike many of us "more seasoned" cruise passengers, 18 & 20 year olds are not going to worry about being tired after spending a day in port.   A vibrant/active atmosphere would be enjoyed by them I'm sure.   I recommend RCI, and perhaps Quantum Class.   

On 2/14/2022 at 7:06 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

The Med is very port intensive--often only one sea day, possibly two, and shore days are often long in order to see the outstanding history, architecture and scenery.  So, to us, lots to do on board, especially things like climbing walls, ice rinks, multiple pools or water slides, etc. are much less important on those itineraries.

You may be leaving the ship at 8 or 9 in the morning and not be back until late afternoon.

Even for young adults those long days mean less time--and energy-- for onboard activities.  We cruise on many different lines, and  if you enjoy a certain line and the itinerary is what you want, go for that, but don't be worried that there is not enough to do on cruise lines you haven't tried.  We feel the major lines are more alike than not as far as food and accomodations go.

Carnival, RCL and NCL do cater more to families and younger passengers as to activities if that is important to you.  We also like Celebrity and Princess, but they are more adult-oriented.

I think lack of energy, if any, from an 18 or 20 year old is more likely because of staying up all night than wandering around the ports!  😀😀😀

I've never been on NCL, but agree totally with you comment about RCL & Carnival.   There will be more youths on board to "hang with".   I'm 70, but know "just hanging" seems to be a preferred activity of the young folk.  😀  

We have done four or five Med cruises.

We focus on the ship, less so on the cruise line.   We have found that one thing is consistent on the mass market lines....inconsistency between ships in the same cruise line, between different cruises on the same ship, etc. 

We focus on the embarkation and disembarkation ports with a view to what pre and post land portions we can add.  

We focus on port stops....the time that is spent in each port stop and how far the port is from any tourist attractions that we want to see.   Not interested in arriving at 10AM and departing at 3PM.

And...are car rental close to the port since we often rent cars.

Don't know about others their age.  Our cruises have always been in late Sept or Oct. when college and university students tend to be in semester. 

Thanks y’all for your comments. I appreciate your insights and you’ve given me much to think about. It sounds like a whole different game in the Med. I’m going to continue to research. My son is definitely into history and seeing the sites. My daughter is probably more experiences oriented. 

May I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steve’s’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  Have your kids read it, pick out ports and activities that interest/intrigue them, then look for itineraries that include them.  A good site for that is cruisetimetables.com.  Plug in the different ports of call and see who calls there, and their itineraries.  EM

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

May I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steve’s’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  Have your kids read it, pick out ports and activities that interest/intrigue them, then look for itineraries that include them.  A good site for that is cruisetimetables.com.  Plug in the different ports of call and see who calls there, and their itineraries.  EM

And in addition to which ports are visited, check how much time is allotted to being in the port. And remember that the time in the city visited may be less than it seems as some like Rome and Florence are a quite a distance from the actual port.

19 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

May I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steve’s’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

You'll find it in the "humour" section in the book store !

I've never looked at it, but I'm curious why the humor section?   Is it lacking in some way?  

While I would say we have a different travel style, I had always found his travel episodes on TV to be entertaining.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I've never looked at it, but I'm curious why the humor section?   Is it lacking in some way?  

Mainly because  Rick Steves writes such drivel that his books are a source of much amusement to those that live in those places that he writes about.

On 2/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, sarahbeth476 said:

We are longtime Carnival cruisers (and once on NCL) for Caribbean cruises. We are interested in a Mediterranean cruise, maybe Italy, Greece, Egypt. We will have our young adult kids with us, 18 & 20. I’m feeling out of my depth here. Which cruise line would you recommend that would be fun for young adults and moderately priced? 

NCL.  We have done many cruises in the Mediterranean on Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, HAL, Crystal and NCL.   

• Like 1

We will have our young adult kids with us, 18 & 20. I’m feeling out of my depth here. Which cruise line would you recommend that would be fun for young adults and moderately priced?

We did several med cruises at this and a bit younger with RCCL.  It became a family favorite summer cruise destination.

Italy, Greece, Egypt

Of these stops, cruises to Egypt are a bit rarer than those to Italy and Greece.  From a cost perspective, Greece and Italy would be better.  My kids really like the stops in the Greek Islands.  If you do pick an Egypt cruise, pick one with lots of time in port including an overnight as the main sites are far from the port. 

I would also consider Turkey.  My kids really liked the stops there as older teens.  Spain too.  Really the Med is a great place for a summer cruise! 

My last recommendation would be to go early as possible in the summer before the crowds really get enormous.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, sarahbeth476 said: