Looking for honest answers (Omicron-related question)

CruisinShips

I assume this has happened with some people here, but I am curious as to how people will respond to this:

If you were on a cruise, you're vaxxed and boosted, and you started to get the sniffles (just what felt like a slight cold/allergies)...would you request you be tested?

I am wondering if this response would be different now, with the weaker strain of Omicron, than it was earlier in the pandemic.  I also wonder if people would subject themselves to quarantine voluntarily at this point.

Anyone care to chime in?

First of all I will say we will not be cruising until the protocols are lifted.  Then to answer to your question is - if we did cruise I would have a very extensive selection of meds so unless I was on deaths doorstep I would not need to get medical involved. Several years ago I did fall in Boston on a port stop, broke two ribs and kept on keeping on until I got home and an incidental finding showed two broken ribs that had healed.  Used up all the excedrin I had with me that time.

I had Covid in January and it was nothing like either allergies (which I have a bunch of) or a cold.  Rather it was like a cold......but not.  Everything about it was off kilter from any other thing I've had.  On the other hand the last time I had a cold was several years ago.  I have allergies all the time.

So no, I would not request to be tested with just the symptom of allergies (sniffles, some coughing, no fever).  I would take decongestants or an antihistamine, though.  That should get rid of those symptoms.  

If it felt more like a cold or the symptoms did not abate with an OTC medication, I would at least stay away from everyone and depending on how it progressed I would definately give thought to being tested.

• Like 2

In the middle of a BA2 outbreak here. We bought some cheap antigen tests so we would at least know. They don't show positive until a few days in though - assuming youre fully vaxed of course. I'm not that worried about getting it myself - but I don't want to pass it on to others who may get seriously ill or die. It may be milder version but its not just a cold either in some people - we are recording record numbers of deaths in NZ with it. 

Yes of course I'd isolate if I tested positive  

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

Differentiating respiratory allergy symptoms from an illness can be as easy as seeing if an antihistamine relieves the symptoms. In that case, no I would not ask to be tested nor would I self isolate.

If I had cold or flu like symptoms,  without fever, I would mask in public and reduce my time in any crowd for a day or two, and then test with my own test (since Omicron seems to take a couple of days to build to a level detectable by home antigen tests). Further action would depend on the test result.

If I had symptoms and was febrile,  I would request a test from ship's  Medical and self isolate.

When I had COVID my major symptom was no energy at all.  So on a cruise ship that would mean I wouldn't have the energy to do anything other than hang out on my balcony and order room-service.  So an inadvertant self-quarantine.

That said, in all likelihood my cruising days are probably over because I won't even look at cruising until all of the restrictions and protocols are dropped and I don't see that happening anytime soon.  And beyond that, we are a little bit hunkered down because of the inflation.  But that's OK I had a nice little run of great cruising, which most people never get to do.

• Like 3

Since we're not vaccinated we are not welcome on cruises at this time and we also won't cruise until all protocols are removed.   I also bring a good supply of medications to cope with almost anything.

4 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

If you were on a cruise, you're vaxxed and boosted, and you started to get the sniffles (just what felt like a slight cold/allergies)...would you request you be tested?

Would I report to Medical and request to be tested?  No

Just returned from a cruise. We had multiple Binox Now Ag test kits that we brought with us.

I would have used one of the tests myself just to triage myself. If I came up negative, I would assume it’s something other than Covid.

If I came up positive, then I would self report to Medical on the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Differentiating respiratory allergy symptoms from an illness can be as easy as seeing if an antihistamine relieves the symptoms. In that case, no I would not ask to be tested nor would I self isolate.

If I had cold or flu like symptoms,  without fever, I would mask in public and reduce my time in any crowd for a day or two, and then test with my own test (since Omicron seems to take a couple of days to build to a level detectable by home antigen tests). Further action would depend on the test result.

If I had symptoms and was febrile,  I would request a test from ship's  Medical and self isolate.

Antihistamines completed resolved my Omicron symptoms    

15 hours ago, Blondilu said:

I had Covid in January and it was nothing like either allergies (which I have a bunch of) or a cold.  Rather it was like a cold......but not.  Everything about it was off kilter from any other thing I've had.  On the other hand the last time I had a cold was several years ago.  I have allergies all the time.

So no, I would not request to be tested with just the symptom of allergies (sniffles, some coughing, no fever).  I would take decongestants or an antihistamine, though.  That should get rid of those symptoms.  

If it felt more like a cold or the symptoms did not abate with an OTC medication, I would at least stay away from everyone and depending on how it progressed I would definately give thought to being tested.

Very similar experience here. I have allergies and post-nasal drip so sniffles and a slight cough are always present. When I had COVID it was most definitely different from that and I strongly suspected that was what it was and testing confirmed it. So if it's just the normal sniffles that I have every day, no I would not test. If the symptoms are stronger or different, then yes I would be tested.

My neighbors just returned from two week  European river cruise. Everyone was tested daily and in all, only one person tested positive and was immediately taken off the boat. They said that strong safety protols were evident throughout their trip.

Darcy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WatchHill said:

My neighbors just returned from two week  European river cruise. Everyone was tested daily and in all, only one person tested positive and was immediately taken off the boat. They said that strong safety protols were evident throughout their trip.

Darcy

The problem with that scenario is that the entire ship continues to go ashore and risk possible infection. Many likely had already been infected by this person who was positive. We went on a cruise last month and went about life as normal with good hand washing and hygiene. No daily testing.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, CruisinShips said:

I assume this has happened with some people here, but I am curious as to how people will respond to this:

I am wondering if this response would be different now, with the weaker strain of Omicron, than it was earlier in the pandemic.  I also wonder if people would subject themselves to quarantine voluntarily at this point.

Anyone care to chime in?

I have respiratory issues and I use a nose lubricator which usually causes me to sneeze .People tend to feel that I may have an issue.

If I tested every time I had the sniffles or a cough then I would basically have to test every day, due to allergies and sinus problems.  And sometimes antihistamines help these problems, sometimes they don't.  

Right now I was just diagnosed with yet another sinus infection and yes, I have been coughing for weeks.  My doctor said that this winter is one of the worst he has ever seen for allergy problems in our area due to the extremely dry and windy conditions.

I had Covid two years ago.  It felt like a medium sinus infection to me--I always get very fatigued with sinus infections so the fatigue was nothing new.  The only difference, which I probably would not have noticed especially, if not for Covid, was that I had a slight fever for two days, which I usually don't have with allegies/sinus problems.    BTW,  antihistamines  or cold meds did help with my Covid symptoms.

My husband had Covid at the same time and was much sicker, but recovered without medical intervention.  Neither of us ever lost our sense of taste or smell.

As for a direct answer to OP's question, I'll take the fifth. 🤐  But I'd like to thank them for asking it.  It's brought out some interesting replies.  It's also been discussed in some other threads that I've read.  And it's helped me think about what to do, and not do, on future cruises.

• Like 1

We just returned a week later than planned from a land trip in Spain.  I developed some symptoms that could have been a cold but seemed too severe too fast.  I did a home test in our hotel room and got a positive.  Then I did the test at a lab so I could get an official result on the record (still positive).   We reported and adhered to Spain's isolation rules.  Then, even after my symptoms were long gone I continued to test positive.  I finally got a documentation of recovery letter so I could return home.  All in all, it added a whole week to original trip.   

To answer the OP's question, if just common sniffles, then no, I would not immediately run out and get a test.  But if I had any doubt, then I would definitely do a test.  Because they are going to be just as accurate as an antigen test done by the Doc, I would do a home test  before approach medical.  If the home test shows positive then I would report to medical.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

On the internet, everyone is noble, does the right thing, and thinks of others.

In reality, I'll just say your average person is no where near that noble. I would put it under the majority wouldn't say a word. 

I always impressed upon our children that "everyone does it" is a poor excuse to do the wrong thing.   

Rule #1:  People lie

You see it at embarkation with the health form - you feel flu-y and maybe a fever but you want to go on the cruise so you lie about how you feel.

You see onboard when someone comes down with noro - you don't report it because you want to be able to eat and stuff when you feel better.  

Learned at the ski resort, checking lift tickets:  always ask the child, not the parent, how old she is.  The kid won't lie.  But, the parent will say the child is 5 instead of 6 or 7 so they get the free ticket.  

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

I always impressed upon our children that "everyone does it" is a poor excuse to do the wrong thing.   

I'll never forget the initial COVID surge and the panic-buying of food. On the internet, the topic of food is always "feed others". When there was potentially going to be a shortage of food, people would have murdered to get their hands on the last pallet of canned corn.

• Haha 1

Yes, I would bring my own test kits and do a test.  My husband came down with Covid last week but didn't test for a couple of days because he thought he had spring allergies.  He was positive.  Despite all precautionary measures, I tested positive two days ago after coming down with cold like symptoms and tested negative for two days, then positive on the first.  I have symptoms associated with a bad head cold.  Knowing what I know now, I would test if I came down with just sniffles and repeat a day or two later to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, Keksie said:

First of all I will say we will not be cruising until the protocols are lifted.  Then to answer to your question is - if we did cruise I would have a very extensive selection of meds so unless I was on deaths doorstep I would not need to get medical involved. Several years ago I did fall in Boston on a port stop, broke two ribs and kept on keeping on until I got home and an incidental finding showed two broken ribs that had healed.  Used up all the excedrin I had with me that time.

Reading about the broken ribs alone makes my side hurt.   

I think perhaps people are missing the point.  It isn't if one can take care of themselves like you did with the fractured ribs.  The issue is spreading it to others and potentially causing an outbreak on board.  My recent bout with covid did not require any medical intervention.  But I followed reporting protocols set by Spain's public health.  The priority is to not become a covid vector.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2