Your favorite cruise embarkation port?

Hi guys.  Happy 4th of July for those of us in the U.S.

I have a simple question today - considering all the factors that are important to you, what is your favorite location to embark a cruise ship?  I didn't want to put in a poll because it would be unwieldy with all the possible choices.

My choice is San Juan, Puerto Rico.  Yours probably is not.  Tell us all about it!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I have a simple question today - considering all the factors that are important to you, what is your favorite location to embark a cruise ship?  I didn't want to put in a poll because it would be unwieldy with all the possible choices.

My choice is San Juan, Puerto Rico.  Yours probably is not.  Tell us all about it!  Thanks.

Just this early AM arrived in NYC (west side cruise terminal). 
For an unparalleled arrival location, few come close to NY Harbor at daybreak (or soon thereafter).  Another favorite of mine is Sydney - also at daybreak.

Note that I am focusing my answer on the actual disembarkation point and not the city/town itself. In any case, both NYC and SYD disembarkations are ultra-convenient as well as drop-dead gorgeous.

As for embarkation, I’m a bit prejudiced (as a sailor). Cruising west under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset is always a picture perfect moment (yes, even in the fog). And, like NYC and Sydney, the actual location is conveniently central to anything you need (including a base for an add-on land stay).

Want a great (yet predictable) shorter cruise (<3 weeks)? Panama Canal SFO-NYC!

At the opposite end of the spectrum is any cruise port within an actual working port - dime a dozen, inconvenient and, in many large cities, dangerous.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Any cruise port is my favorite ... when I am excitedly starting a cruise, they're all just wonderful!  We are sailing out of San Francisco at Christmas, and that will probably be a most memorable departure.  Let's face it, so many places are exquisitely beautiful at daybreak or dusk.

Edited by jsn55
clarity
  • Like 2

In the United States, Port Everglades is #1 for me, followed by New York City, Seattle, Baltimore, Port Canaveral, Boston, Los Angeles, San Juan, and Miami in that order.  Miami would rank between Port Canaveral and Boston if it were not for the traffic situation that I encountered.  If I had not driven to the port.....a different impression, I suspect.    

International ports of embarkation:  Vancouver and Auckland are favorite ports.  

• Thanks 1

For the US, I'll say NYC because we do not have to fly.

For Europe, I'll say Barcelona as it is the actual port unlike other advertised cities such as Rome. Also, our first cruise was in the summer of 2002 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Firsts are always memborable, plus as the travel industry was still recovering from the horror of 9/11 the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) gave all who bought transfers a free tour of the city on the way to the ship. And the Gaudi architecture is truly memorable! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I find Montreal,

.....easy.  Only embarked there once and it was an easy embarkation then.  But, that was when I embarked the Maasdam, so that gives you some historical context for my experience.  What may have changed since then?   

15 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Although I lived in NYC nearly 60 years and cruised from Manhattan many times I would have to agree with you about San Juan.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

.....easy.  Only embarked there once and it was an easy embarkation then.  But, that was when I embarked the Maasdam, so that gives you some historical context for my experience.  What may have changed since then?   

Maasdam sailed not that very long ago. I sailed her twice: a good itinerary from Fort Lauderdale to the western Caribbean in 2002 (almost empty due to lingering post 9/11 concerns) and a great one from Norfolk  to the eastern Caribbean in winter of 2005.   That was when HAL still was a notch above other mass market lines - she was a good size, had great music, entertainment and service.   Too bad HAL got Carnivalized.

• Like 1

We like many of the ports mentioned here but my favorite is our home port of San Diego.

Why,   maybe it's because it was voted the number 1 embarkation port in the world.

Survey Says:

San Diego Named World's Best Cruise Port in International Traveler Survey - Times of San Diego

P.s.  I once remember a CC poster saying that you should avoid it like the 'plague'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1