What types of food and snacks can I bring back from a shore excursion

VashR

1 hour ago, VashR said:

Hello all - hope everyone is well 😊. Does anyone know what type of food and snacks we can bring back on board after a shore excursion?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! A safe answer would be sealed (unopened) food and snacks, nothing fresh. Also if you need to take some foodstuffs off ship, that would be true. Countries are in general more worried about things coming off than ships are afraid of what you bring on, but that all "generally" and I'd hate to tell you Bring It All on! and have you be forced to bin it.

• Like 1

In general terms, typically anything fresh on or off the ship is not permitted.  Typically anything that would be approved on or off the ship would have to be packaged.

For instance, in several Caribbean ports of call manufactured and packaged rum cakes are typical souvenirs.  But they are commercially prepared and sealed.

But as others have said, it varies by global region and cruise line T's & C's.

Only answer I can give is that I know that when we stopped in San Francisco on a west coast cruise to Alaska, someone was not allowed to bring onboard the dozen fresh donuts (in their pretty pink box) they had purchased.  They were told they could eat them or throw them away.

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Only answer I can give is that I know that when we stopped in San Francisco on a west coast cruise to Alaska, someone was not allowed to bring onboard the dozen fresh donuts (in their pretty pink box) they had purchased.  They were told they could eat them or throw them away.

Bob's Donuts on Polk Street is the closest to the pier that would have the pink boxes. 24/7 dive joint, that's always in the top 3 of best donuts shops in the city. Before the great lock down, line would be at least 5 deep after 2 am. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VashR said:

Does anyone know what type of food and snacks we can bring back on board after a shore excursion

If there are restrictions and only your cruiseline can tell you what is and is not permotted, could it be to do with unpackaged  food in the cabin possibly attracting vermin or insects? Once the packaging is opened, if the remainder is not properly stored and left lying out, it could be a health issue in the making, but I actually have no idea  Room service food leftovers and dirty crockery and utensils are  removed.

30 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

If there are restrictions and only your cruiseline can tell you what is and is not permotted, could it be to do with unpackaged  food in the cabin possibly attracting vermin or insects? Once the packaging is opened, if the remainder is not properly stored and left lying out, it could be a health issue in the making, but I actually have no idea  Room service food leftovers and dirty crockery and utensils are  removed.

While your assumption may be logical it is not the reason in this case for the restrictions. The restrictions are primarily with fresh agriculture (and other unpackaged foods) as they can carry pests and other foreign animal diseases from a given country's port of call. The concern is that this could make its way back to the US home port and cause problems that could spread from there.

Along with cruise ports of call on US based closed loop cruises, these restrictions are common at US international borders, international airports with flights to the US (Puerto Rico as example), and even within some states.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

While your assumption may be logical it is not the reason in this case for the restrictions.

Whilst I think my own thoughts have some merit, I can also see your point as yours is the reason why so many countries do not allow the importation of anything related to agriculture or picked from earth.  I once had a plant removed on arrival as it had to go for testing to make sure it was "clean" before it was returned to me.

Edited by edinburgher

12 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I probably would have been sick getting back onboard then. 

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2024 at 11:36 AM, VashR said:

Hello all - hope everyone is well 😊. Does anyone know what type of food and snacks we can bring back on board after a shore excursion?

We have brought fresh strawberries and waffles back while in Norway and fresh baguettes back in French Polynesia 

This is a tough call.  It varies so much per port.  I was able to bring back tangerines from Korea (Diamond P) and strawberries from Japan.  If I could have found dried abalone, it would also have beeb okay by customs and border patrol.

I have brought back fresh (not pre packaged) local items from every port in Hawaii on Princess cruises.  Not the same on an NCL cruise.  

I have also brought back salami logs and other Chinese bakery items from San Francisco.

I brought lobster rolls back to the ship from St. John and Halifax.  

Your mileage may vary depending who is manning security.  I've asked Princess security before getting off the ship.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Philob said:

Bob's Donuts on Polk Street is the closest to the pier that would have the pink boxes. 24/7 dive joint, that's always in the top 3 of best donuts shops in the city. Before the great lock down, line would be at least 5 deep after 2 am. 

OMG, we moved away from The City over 30 years ago but still visit. Just checked and they've been around since the 60s. Hoping to get back soon. Thanks.

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Whilst I think my own thoughts have some merit, I can also see your point as yours is the reason why so many countries do not allow the importation of anything related to agriculture or picked from earth.  I once had a plant removed on arrival as it had to go for testing to make sure it was "clean" before it was returned to me.

There are still some entries into California that check and confiscate produce from other states. I've heard that cherries in particular may be an issue. It's because CA is such a major supplier of agriculture than they don't want it contaminated.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm surprised. I thought one of the things that are commonly allowed are baked goods.  I have to wonder why the ship would care.   Recently I brought a bag of scones thru US customs.  They could have cared less.   

47 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm surprised. I thought one of the things that are commonly allowed are baked goods.  I have to wonder why the ship would care.   Recently I brought a bag of scones thru US customs.  They could have cared less.   

I have no idea.  Maybe the shoreside personnel were feeling nasty that day.  Generally I'd think, since the donuts were commercially sold, they'd be OK.  That said, they weren't "sealed"  So who knows?

17 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I have no idea.  Maybe the shoreside personnel were feeling nasty that day.  Generally I'd think, since the donuts were commercially sold, they'd be OK.  That said, they weren't "sealed"  So who knows?

Crew probably hoping the passenger would hand them over.  hahah.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Because Department of Agriculture would be concerned,  not Customs. 

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because Department of Agriculture would be concerned,  not Customs. 

And then why does customs ask if you are brining any foods into the U.S.?  I suggest Dept of Ag could care less if you bring baked goods on a cruise ship from a US port.   If you take a look at the prohibitions, I suspect baked goods are one of the few things that would be allowed into the U.S.  

I have already posted on another similar top on another page. As a farmer in the UK we have the spectre of African Swine Fever getting ever closer to us across Europe. No meat or dairy are allowed into the UK unlicensed. Illegal food goods  can carry disease and a whole industry could be decimated because of some idiot smuggling a ham sandwich or a smelly unpasteurised cheese. California as mentioned above has strict rules as there are in Europe 

Please please check the rules when you travel.  I don't want to have to kill all my livestock because you were an irresponsible idiot. 

#justsaying

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

And then why does customs ask if you are brining any foods into the U.S.?  I suggest Dept of Ag could care less if you bring baked goods on a cruise ship from a US port.   If you take a look at the prohibitions, I suspect baked goods are one of the few things that would be allowed into the U.S.  

Because if you say yes, they probe further and if necessary send you to the Ag people. Only in some places do you do a separate Ag inspection even if bringing nothing. 

49 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Because if you say yes, they probe further and if necessary send you to the Ag people. Only in some places do you do a separate Ag inspection even if bringing nothing. 

Are we talking two different things?   I originally expressed surprise because I don't think baked goods are an issue.  When I said yes about having a bag of scones customs waived me through.  No Ag inspection.  The two times we have mistakenly brought in prohibited items, customs confiscated them.  One was bananas I didn't realize Mrs Ldubs had put in the backpack.  The custom person took them and tossed them in the trash.  The other time my nephew had a souvenir hat made of woven banana leaves.   Customs took it.   Again, no Ag inspection in either case.  And again, my point is I don't think bringing baked goods into the U.S. is especially an issue.