Best way to get help from Maitre D?

jlazz

I'm cruising with 4 other couples. 1 of the couples booked late and couldn't get into the early seating with the rest of us. I plan to go to the Maitre D as soon as I get on board to see if I can get them moved. I've been told to tip the Maitre D $20. Can anyone walk me through the best way to do this so I can feel comfortable? Thanks!

I don't believe in bribing the maitre'd. On some lines (Princess for sure) the maitre'd will have 'office' hours on embarkation afternoon in one of the MDRs (just look for an announcement in the cruise newsletter) to handle these kinds of problems. If there is an empty table for 8 available you should get it. If not, your group may need to try anytime dining. With that large a group it probably won't be hard to get a table in anytime dining -- at least that was our experience last fall with a group of 6. We switched from late traditional (because it turned out to be just too late for one of our party) to anytime dining and on each of the following 22 days we never waited for a table when we ate between 6 and 6:30.

I'm cruising with 4 other couples. 1 of the couples booked late and couldn't get into the early seating with the rest of us. I plan to go to the Maitre D as soon as I get on board to see if I can get them moved. I've been told to tip the Maitre D $20. Can anyone walk me through the best way to do this so I can feel comfortable? Thanks!

You don't need to tip the Maitre D up front... simply go to see him or her on the day you board, have the info on the cabin #s of all in your party. Sometimes they can't make a change immediately and will get back to you. You can tip at the end of the cruise if you wish.

You don't need to tip the Maitre D up front... simply go to see him or her on the day you board, have the info on the cabin #s of all in your party. Sometimes they can't make a change immediately and will get back to you. You can tip at the end of the cruise if you wish.

This is the right answer. It probably won't be a huge deal to fix your issue if you see the maitre 'd ASAP after boarding. A lot of adjustments get done then.

Oh my goodness, please do not embarrass yourself or the maitre d' by trying to pay him. Just ask politely and he will do his best to accommodate you. There is a chance that other passengers would rather be in another time slot and the staff deals with this shifting around every cruise. :)

As all others have said, the best way to feel comfortable doing it is to not do it. It is not necessary at all to tip - or bribe - the maitre d. One of their responsibilities is to assist the passengers with seating requests. A tip won't free up an otherwise unavailable table. If you can be accommodated, they will do it.

LINK all of your booking numbers, first. That way, they know you're traveling together. Then, get that couple on the "wait list" for early seating. If that doesn't work, go to the dining room upon boarding, and reiterate your request. They do want you to be happy.

A tip is not needed...it's their JOB!

To "link" your numbers, get everyones confirmation/booking number and call RCI or your travel agent.

LINK all of your booking numbers, first. That way, they know you're traveling together. Then, get that couple on the "wait list" for early seating. If that doesn't work, go to the dining room upon boarding, and reiterate your request. They do want you to be happy.

A tip is not needed...it's their JOB!

To "link" your numbers, get everyones confirmation/booking number and call RCI or your travel agent.

You certainly should not "slip him a twenty": that would be just a cheesy bribe. However, and particularly if he were responsive and helpful, you might want to give him something at the end of the cruise. Sure, it is his job - but if he extends himself and makes your cruise more enjoyable, that would be doing his job well.

Forget the Bribery . If the Maitre'd is successful in adding your late comer friends , then a generous Tip is in order at the end of the cruise.

Tables for 10 may be few but 2 close tables may do . You can always rotate seats.

Our TA told us that we were put on a waiting list for the time that we preferred and should contact the maitre’d upon arrival.

I waited a couple weeks and called the cruise line directly. The customer service agent I spoke with was able to switch us to our preferred time without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Better than a "low rent" Vegas tactic like the $20 hand clasp, dress nicely and speak kindly when you ask for the accommodation. Decorum works wonders.

The Maitre D' probably has many requests to make "accommodations." Which one do you think will be first on his list? The one that comes with a crisp $20 bill or the one that doesn't.

If the incentive is not appropriate or unnecessary he will tell you. I have yet to have had a Maitre D' turn one down.

The Maitre D' probably has many requests to make "accommodations." Which one do you think will be first on his list? The one that comes with a crisp $20 bill or the one that doesn't.

If the incentive is not appropriate or unnecessary he will tell you. I have yet to have had a Maitre D' turn one down.

Actually, it's cabin level and/or loyalty status (along with the decorum) that gets the best "accommodation." Asking for your name and/or cabin number is what allows a maitre d' to check his/her computer for your profile. "Preferred" customer always trumps a desperate bribe.

I think you overestimate the swaying power of $20 CDN.

In my experience, going to the maitre d', with a courteous request, shortly after you board is the best approach. They do not wait until all requests are in and then accommodate them in descending order of amount of bribe offered. The early requests get considered first.

"Seinfeld...table for four"!

....and of course make sure the $20 bill is crisp! :rolleyes:

Actually, it's cabin level and/or loyalty status (along with the decorum) that gets the best "accommodation." Asking for your name and/or cabin number is what allows a maitre d' to check his/her computer for your profile. "Preferred" customer always trumps a desperate bribe.

It has been my experience, that big time repeaters and cabin cagegory often get priority, however, they ALSO look at the date of booking. thos e who booked further out may have an 'edge if they have to give the table to one pax or another...

Sort of depends ... but a very discreet ($50) handshake works wonders. :D

I think you overestimate the swaying power of $20 CDN.

In my experience, going to the maitre d', with a courteous request, shortly after you board is the best approach. They do not wait until all requests are in and then accommodate them in descending order of amount of bribe offered. The early requests get considered first.

Only use CDN in Canada otherwise use USD. If the $20 doesn't get the job done it's because someone else paid $50. Act accordingly.

Only use CDN in Canada otherwise use USD. If the $20 doesn't get the job done it's because someone else paid $50. Act accordingly.

This is the sort of cheesy attitude which probably encourages some maitre d’s to abuse their positions and accept bribes to simply perform their jobs.

I have never had to bribe a maitre d’ on a cruise ship to do his job. A reasonable request, courteously put, has resulted in my getting the desired accommodations a number of times.

This is the sort of cheesy attitude which probably encourages some maitre d’s to abuse their positions and accept bribes to simply perform their jobs.

I have never had to bribe a maitre d’ on a cruise ship to do his job. A reasonable request, courteously put, has resulted in my getting the desired accommodations a number of times.

When your "reasonable request" is declined at least you'll know why.

People like you help keep the prices low. Thanks.