Charge for second entree?

So looks like Holland America is trying it out. As the article states... where one line goes, others seems to follow. I personally am not one to order a second entree, although I am guilty of a salad and two appetizers. I wonder if it will be successful, and if it will come to RCI/CCL, as I have read many reviews on both where multiple entrees are ordered.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-adds-fee-for-second-entree-in-main-dining-room/

No way!  One of the advantages of cruising.  Can have choices.  We'll order something to share with the table or to try something different.  Waiters bring something they think you'll like.  Hope this idea flops.

• Like 1

I saw this story yesterday and it actually bothered me and I'm someone who has never ordered a second entree. My problem is the food in the main dinning room is obviously made as cheaply as possible and the portions intentionally small. My wife order 2 one or twice on a cruise because its nice to have some variety. Also how freaking cheesy is gonna be for the waiter/waitress to actually bill you for a meal in the MDR. This actually really bothers me. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

On RCI? 🤔

I really don't think cruising on RCI is your thing by most of the answers you give on Cruisecritic, do you enjoy any other types of vacations? just don't think cruising is your thing.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

The food in the MDR as deteriorated so much and the menus have also changed among all of the cruise lines. The only night that I have ever ordered 2 meals was on formal night when they serve lobster and Beef Wellington. The lobster seems to get worse with every trip so I am not about to shell out an extra $10 for surf and turf that used to be a choice on formal night many many years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

So looks like Holland America is trying it out. As the article states... where one line goes, others seems to follow. I personally am not one to order a second entree, although I am guilty of a salad and two appetizers. I wonder if it will be successful, and if it will come to RCI/CCL, as I have read many reviews on both where multiple entrees are ordered.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-adds-fee-for-second-entree-in-main-dining-room/

I have no idea if Holland America has gone the way of Royal and added so many specialty restaurants, that the MDR is quite empty many evenings.  Royal gets plenty of additional revenue from their 'specialty dining' (even with all the special offers) that it would seem unnecessary to do this.  No one can predict if it would cause people NOT to sail on Royal, but it would not be received well by 'loyal Royalists' I am sure. 

Wow, have times changed. The first time we sailed on HAL, I couldn't make up my mind which entrée I wanted on the first night in the MDR, so the waiter suggested I order both. After that evening, he brought me two of whatever entrée I ordered every night.

2 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

They say this is a way to reduce waste. I’d be willing to bet that the vast majority of waste comes from the buffet, not the MDR.

You are probably quite right.

Over the years we have been sailing....which is now 15 years....lots has changed as far as dining.  People disagree tremendously on it.  What I believe everyone can agree on is that the MDR is used by less and less people on a nightly basis.  We used to go to the MDR every night and have terrific meals meeting new people, since we often cruise as a couple and love to sit at a table for 6 or more.  When Izumi came along, since we love Japanese food....it became one of our dinners (we do it once at least every other week at home anyway).  Now we get a gift certificate from our TA for a specialty restaurant....so another night out of the MDR.  This past cruise we were sailing with quite a few friends and had a night in the WJ together for dinner (lots of fun and some types of food, not available in the MDR).  So even US, who love the MDR, had our seats empty  3 of the 7 nights --- NOT because we disliked the food or service.

I can say that on every sailing we have been on, if I did not like what I ordered and the waiter noticed it in the MDR, they offered to bring me something else.....the goal is to please the cruiser so they come back.  

I can't imagine charging for a 2nd entree going over very well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I really don't think cruising on RCI is your thing by most of the answers you give on Cruisecritic, do you enjoy any other types of vacations? just don't think cruising is your thing.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Good observation.

The "ignore" feature works really well.

• Like 6

I am crossing HAL off my list as possible cruise lines.

We don't always do it however once in a while we order a second entrée to split.  The food in most MDRs (we have cruised Princess, Cunard, and RC) is OK, not great.  If the mainstream cruise lines start charging for a second entrée does that mean you have to eat at the MDR and then the buffet to avoid the charge.  This is stupid unless they are going to significantly reduce the quality in the buffet.

At that point I just forget about the mainstream lines and go to the all-inclusive lines; when you start adding up all the costs of the drink packages, the additional charge restaurants, etc. the prices do not look that bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The food in the MDR as deteriorated so much and the menus have also changed among all of the cruise lines. The only night that I have ever ordered 2 meals was on formal night when they serve lobster and Beef Wellington. The lobster seems to get worse with every trip so I am not about to shell out an extra $10 for surf and turf that used to be a choice on formal night many many years ago.

...many many years ago. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Are you talking about the MDR, or SPECIALTY restaurants?  I don't know of any line that charges for additional MDR entrees....but I believe virtually all of them do in the "for fee" restaurants.

Then you should read the link in the first post before commenting. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Are you talking about the MDR, or SPECIALTY restaurants?  I don't know of any line that charges for additional MDR entrees....but I believe virtually all of them do in the "for fee" restaurants.

If you had even clicked on the article you would see the headline notes it is the main dining room!

m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Figures this happens right as we're going on our once every ten years anniversary cruise...was looking forward to trying some new things. Pretty ridiculous if the portions are small anyways to do this. Especially when we paid so much just for the cruise itself....nickel and diming us all the way....also would have loved communication from holland america to its customers this month that will be affected by it. Not a peep.

Edited by Ayla4m