Flights from Fort Lauderdale airport

Wonder18

Is it possible to make a 10 AM flight out of Fort Lauderdale from a princess cruise. Princess EZair  is offering a 10  am flight  back to my destinations after the cruise.   Would this be an approved flight .

I read posts of making it and even earlier flights.  I understand wanting to avoid spending more time at the airport than necessary, but that seems tight.  If everything works well at the port, you should be fine.  If there is an issue, 10 could be tight to a missed flight.  

According to Princess Flight Guidelines, flights should be 4 and a half hours after ship's arrival:

Ft. Lauderdale

Disembarking Passengers
Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours after ship's arrival.
Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

Having done this numerous times, I would not ruin your vacation by the even slightest possibility of missing that early flight.  In fact I have gone out from Noon to 5pm flights and I found the later flights the best as I just take the nice Mollie B cruise around the intercoastal and River and let Princess get me to the airport later.  I then also use EZcheck in for my luggage and so have no luggage whatsoever on my way home.  Now this is a wonderful calm easy way to end a vacation!  

So I would definitely go for a later flight.  

Pooh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonder18 said:

Is it possible to make a 10 AM flight out of Fort Lauderdale from a princess cruise. Princess EZair  is offering a 10  am flight  back to my destinations after the cruise.   Would this be an approved flight .

Every time we've disembarked from a Princess ship at PE in recent memory, using early walkoff, we've never NOT been siting at the terminal at FLL waiting for the staff to arrive and open up the checkin counter, by 7:30AM. As others have said, things can go wrong and you could miss the flight, but the probability is low but not zero. You said, however, that you are using EZAir, and that EZAir considers this an "acceptable"/selectable flight option? Question for EZAir experts, would that not mean that IF the OP's flight is delayed, Princess would be responsible for and work to finding an alternative return, thereby making that part of the experience a lot easier. The other complication here is that the OP seems to be flying back to Moncton? There would probably not be as many available connections in the case of a missed flight.

If it's on EZ Air, it's an approved flight.  Or perhaps there's a glitch on EZ Air allowing earlier flights.  In any event any flights booked through EZ Air include the stated protections, so if there was a delayed arrival, Princess would work to find suitable replacement flights.

2 hours ago, Wonder18 said:

As you may or may not know, FLL is just a few miles from the port and there are always a line of taxis waiting to whisk pax from port to airport.  Near the end of your cruise, you'll receive a questionnaire asking about post-cruise flights and as I can recall you choose what time you want to disembark.  They start walk-off disembarks (as opposed to your assigned waiting place on the ship) starts pretty early.

EZ will sell a flight that early;  you won't be able to use luggage valet; where you put your bags out the night before and they are transported to the airport and you see them at baggage claim when you get home.  Luggage valet program does not allow flights earlier than 11:30am. 

Edited by AF-1

9 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

EZ will sell a flight that early;  you won't be able to use luggage valet; where you put your bags out the night before and they are transported to the airport and you see them at baggage claim when you get home.  Luggage valet program does not allow flights earlier than 11:30am. 

Can't use the valet program for flights to Canada, anyway....

Edited by chrysalis

4 hours ago, Wonder18 said:

Remember there are a lot of people from other ships at the airport so not is going to be busy I would allow as much time to get through security as possible.

5 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

In fact I have gone out from Noon to 5pm flights and I found the later flights the best as I just take the nice Mollie B cruise around the intercoastal and River and let Princess get me to the airport later. 

A great idea but just a correction of a typo.  The cruise is the Carrie B (www.carriebcruises.com).  An alternative is the Jungle Queen (www.junglequeen.com) and, of course, the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com).

6 hours ago, Wonder18 said:

Easily.

If my ship is scheduled to dock by 6am, I will book as early as 8:30, if 7am, then 9:00

Never had an issue, but if the ship is late, could be issues. My upcoming cruise I have a flight at 9:45.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Chrysalis;  are you saying this program is not available for Canada?

I know this has been the case from the get-go, but it is sad because flying from USA to Canada is like flying domestic.  Canadian airlines (Air Canada was first) have had access to TSA Pre for a long time now.  Maybe they aren't even aware of this service to apply to get included.

Edited by steelers36

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Easily.

If my ship is scheduled to dock by 6am, I will book as early as 8:30, if 7am, then 9:00

Never had an issue, but if the ship is late, could be issues. My upcoming cruise I have a flight at 9:45.

Last weekend my nieces were flying out of FLL after a vacation in the Keys.  Their flight was due to depart at 9:30 or 9:40 am on Sunday. Two days before departure, their airline notified them that due to large crowds expected over the weekend they should aim to check in by 6:30 am!  😮 Since they had no baggage to check we decided to live dangerously and drop them off closer to 7 am. 😀 We did notice 6 ships in port and one still a ways from the port entry channel at 6:45 when we drove by en route to the airport.  FLL was already a zoo before 7 am with big crowds at terminals 1 (Southwest among others) and 3 (Spirit among others).  My nieces had no trouble making their flight but the terminals and security lines got increasingly long through the morning.

No question it's taking a bit of a chance, but we have done it 18 times out of FLL and no issues.  We do the express walk off (which it looks like from our last cruise ,they now just let everyone go whenever they want), and if we have a flight before 9:30, we make sure we get off as early as possible. 

Last year I booked a 10am flight, and there was a 8:30am flight available on Delta, but I was a little concerned with 8 ships in port that morning that it might be a bit of a challenge with getting a cab, but we were thru security by 7:45, I went over to the counter, but couldn't get on the 8:30 flight.  Oh well. 

We did a 10:10 AM flight after a Princess Cruise and had plenty of time to spare.  That does include the fact that we were in the second walk off group.  Early walk off allows you to avoid searching for luggage, gets you through customs quickly and shoots you out to the cab stand with lots of cabs lined up.  It is very doable at FLL.

It also depends on the time of year. During peak vacation season, particularly school vacation weeks or sporting events, in Ft. Lauderdale, there can be huge delays checking in and going through Security at FLL.

I’ve been on ships when disembarkation was delayed and people were screaming to be let off the ship as they’d miss their flight. Why chance it unless you are very flexible and have alternate plans in place. 

17 hours ago, Wonder18 said:

As others pointed out, if it is listed in EZAir, then the Princess computer has it as an approved flight for your ship's arrival time.

And, as others have pointed out, that means if you do not make the flight, Princess will assist (if necessary) in making other arrangements for you.

If EZAir was not listing this flight, then I would not book it on my own, preferring 11 Am or later. But I would not hesitate to book it with EZAir since it is from FLL which, as others have pointed out, is about a 15 minute  cab ride from the ship.

20 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Having done this numerous times, I would not ruin your vacation by the even slightest possibility of missing that early flight.  In fact I have gone out from Noon to 5pm flights and I found the later flights the best as I just take the nice Mollie B cruise around the intercoastal and River and let Princess get me to the airport later.  I then also use EZcheck in for my luggage and so have no luggage whatsoever on my way home.  Now this is a wonderful calm easy way to end a vacation!  

So I would definitely go for a later flight.  

Pooh

I agree😎 been there...done that..

Am I the only one skeptical that EZ would have a 10 AM flight from FLL on the actual day of departure?

Wonder18, are you sure the 10 AM  EZ Air flight is not for the next day?  I have seen this before.

it is a little early for my comfort zone, but I would think you ours be OK.