When to fly in?

blueskadoo

Hello everyone- we have booked a flight with a cruise we have to fly to for the first time. We are doing the 8 night on the Horizon and I'm trying to figure out what the right time is to fly into the airport. Our location allows us to have a short nonstop to get to both FLL and MIA. My husband hates waiting around for anything, so I'd like to minimize that as much as I can. Right now, our options are a very early flight getting us there by 7:55am, and the next best option is arriving at 12:15. We are going on an Ultra cruise so we get a free transfer from either place and get platinum status for the cruise.  What would be the ideal time to meet that goal? 

Ps: I tried searching for this, but it seems like most people are more worried about what time to fly out instead of flying in!

The best advice is always to fly in the day before if you can manage it. Too many delays and cancellations can happen. If not, the earlier the better in case of delays. Sorry your husband hates to wait around but better to wait than to get very delayed and not get on the ship!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, blueskadoo said:

Hello everyone- we have booked a flight with a cruise we have to fly to for the first time. We are doing the 8 night on the Horizon and I'm trying to figure out what the right time is to fly into the airport. Our location allows us to have a short nonstop to get to both FLL and MIA. My husband hates waiting around for anything, so I'd like to minimize that as much as I can. Right now, our options are a very early flight getting us there by 7:55am, and the next best option is arriving at 12:15. We are going on an Ultra cruise so we get a free transfer from either place and get platinum status for the cruise.  What would be the ideal time to meet that goal? 

Ps: I tried searching for this, but it seems like most people are more worried about what time to fly out instead of flying in!

If you take the 12:15 flight and maybe even the 7:55 flight, your husband may have to wait around a really long time.  If you have any flight problems, he will miss the ship.  

DON

As others have said fly in a day earlier too much can go wrong, probability can go from nil to high  depending on season, location, distance, connection airport.

Summer has thunderstorms and or worse, winter has snow or worse.   In the worst case even a day could be not enough, but these days most airplanes in peak season or full so even catching the next plane if you miss a connection or have a delay/mechanical or freak of nature may not leave you enough time.   These are all low probability, I fly 100-150 segments a year and probably 2-3% are impacted by delay and once in a blue moon miss a connection or push a day, but Murphy always visits at the most when I least can afford or want - my vacation, so i always fly in the day before 

21 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

As others have said fly in a day earlier too much can go wrong, probability can go from nil to high  depending on season, location, distance, connection airport.

Summer has thunderstorms and or worse, winter has snow or worse.   In the worst case even a day could be not enough, but these days most airplanes in peak season or full so even catching the next plane if you miss a connection or have a delay/mechanical or freak of nature may not leave you enough time.   These are all low probability, I fly 100-150 segments a year and probably 2-3% are impacted by delay and once in a blue moon miss a connection or push a day, but Murphy always visits at the most when I least can afford or want - my vacation, so i always fly in the day before 

As someone who also flies excessively and has the airline status to go along with that, even I may not get a seat on the next flight if mine gets cancelled or delayed. There's almost always someone with more priority in some way, and as you said, flights are often full these days. Now, take a traveler without status and have them compete with 50 other people to get one of four available seats on the next flight and...well, the math isn't positive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

The OP has SE GA in their profile, so I am guessing SE Georgia. I may be wrong. I doubt they will have snow issues anytime of year that they go, but ground stop t-storms maybe. With the first flight that gets them in at 7:55 AM I would expect they would know if they would be able to make it or not pretty early. If they can only leave day of departure, they may still stand a chance driving. We have flown from the snowy, great white north once on the same day. Also a direct, non-stop from MKE to FLL. Spring Break. Very early in the morning because we had no other choice. Our adult son could not have an extra day off of work to go a day early. We did a lot of praying that everything would be fine, and it was and we got off in FLL and right over to the ship.

The OP is flying from SE GA (JAX?) to MIA and the 7:55 flight would probably be the first flight in the morning, so the plane would have been at the departure airport overnight.  I also live in SE GA, and would consider that flight, but would stay overnight in JAX the night before, as it is a two hour drive for me...EM

• Like 2

Hi again- yes we are located about an hour or so (45 minutes on a good day) from JAX. Our cruise is early February so we could get stuck with winter weather from an inbound aircraft if we waited to go later in the day. The 7:55 flight is actually the time it would land in FLL so it would be a long wait. Maybe that could convince him to go the night before...I’ll price hotels but I doubt I talk him into that! 

Edited by blueskadoo

A scheduled 12:15 arrival on a winter flight does not leave much time for weather (or other) delays for a 4:00 PM sailing,  which means 2:30 or 3:00 PM boarding.  The earlier flight (most likely on a plane which overnighted at JAX) has much less risk but guarantees several hours of sitting around.

The odds are that both would let you catch your ship, but a day earlier flight would give you a decent night’s sleep (what time would you have to get up to catch that early flight: an hour drive to check in by about 6:00 to 6:30 AM)?

7:55

Have breakfast at the airport to tide you through the wait to board, but ignore any messages that say your boarding time is "X:00" if X is later than 11 or even 10. Check your bigger bags (even if carryon in size) with the porters at the curb so you don't have to lug them around if your room isn't ready. Keep medications and valuables with you of course!

Give him a Kindle for Xmas!

3 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

If you choose to fly take the earliest flight you can get. The more time built in for unforeseen delays the better. I would never arrive as late as 1215pm, a slight delay and you miss the ship. Arriving FLL you have a 45 minute ride to POM. From MIA you have a 15-20 minute  ride. Arriving the day before is the best way to go, but sometimes you can’t do it. We have flown out of Orlando to Miami a couple of times and to New Orleans on cruise days. Don’t like to but we had no choice.

I have done 35 cruises and would never arrive the same day - bad weather conditions, strike, technical problems or luggage not making the flight - I have experienced all sorts of problems during my 30 years of cruising and would have missed 8 out of 35 cruises if arriving the same day as cruise departure - also very stressful if flight is delayed.

For me there is no option - fly one ore more days prior to the cruise!

Another vote for at least one day early, and maybe even two. If you make it without delays, then take advantage of the early arrival date and enjoy touring Miami, which you won't be able to do on the cruise. With early arrivals scheduled, if your flight gets cancelled, immediately CALL the airline and make arrangements to be re-booked on the next available flight. If you go to the ticket counter, you will be competing with 100+ passengers for those few seats. And don't rule out booking on a different airline if you are having problems re-booking on the original airline. You will have to pay for the new flights, but at least you will get to the ship in time. It is better to take the hit on duplicate airfare than to lose out on the cruise, which would have cost much more, not to mention the value of enjoying the cruise itself rather than missing part or all of it. 

We always go in a day or two early and enjoy visiting the departure city, which you won't be able to do if you fly in just before boarding and fly out immediately at the end of the cruise. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

Several years ago we were flying out on the day of departure, from Michigan to Miami.  When we checked in we were told that our flight had been cancelled.  We advised the airline staff of our plans to cruise that day and they worked hard at getting us to Miami in time.  We got there ok and made it to the ship in time.  However, it was very close.  When we finally got inside our cabin and set our carryons down, the ship's whistle blew signifying castoff.  The cabin steward came in and said that she didn't think that we were going to make it.

That's the last time we flew out on a day of departure.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, WisconsinFan said:

The OP has SE GA in their profile, so I am guessing SE Georgia. I may be wrong. I doubt they will have snow issues anytime of year that they go, but ground stop t-storms maybe. With the first flight that gets them in at 7:55 AM I would expect they would know if they would be able to make it or not pretty early. If they can only leave day of departure, they may still stand a chance driving. We have flown from the snowy, great white north once on the same day. Also a direct, non-stop from MKE to FLL. Spring Break. Very early in the morning because we had no other choice. Our adult son could not have an extra day off of work to go a day early. We did a lot of praying that everything would be fine, and it was and we got off in FLL and right over to the ship.

The plane doesn't just go back and forth between the two airports.  Very likely it's coming in from someplace else--and that place could indeed be affected by snow.  Additionally SE GA can get ice storms.  

I'd also say that airlines are building less and less time into turnarounds these days, and in my experience, flights are becoming delayed more and more often.  I've been delayed two or more hours to my final destination on about 30% of my flights in the past year, one of which caused a forced overnight.  The delays have been about 50/50 weather and mechanical.

Another option would be to drive to the cruise port.  Leave the evening before and drive down into the West Palm Beach area, and finish the drive after the worst of rush hour ends the next morning, arriving around 11:00 am.

• Like 1

The same day is chancy.....I'd come the day prior and stay overnight, if possible.  If that's not possible, take the very earliest flight possible.  Your husband might have to wait around for a bit, but he's a grown man...he can handle it.  I have faith in him!

On 7/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, Zach1213 said:

As someone who also flies excessively and has the airline status to go along with that, even I may not get a seat on the next flight if mine gets cancelled or delayed. There's almost always someone with more priority in some way, and as you said, flights are often full these days. Now, take a traveler without status and have them compete with 50 other people to get one of four available seats on the next flight and...well, the math isn't positive.

A few winters ago, we had snow pretty consistently on Tues/Wed and also Fridays.  I usually fly LGA or JFK to MIA or FLL the morning of my cruises, so there I was on Sat with a confirmed priority seat and folks who were cancelled the day or days before were on standby.  I made the cruise no problem, don't know about the others.

I flew the morning of my cruise from NY maybe 35 or 40 times with never an issue, non stop, carry on luggage, usually on a ship by 11AM.

I realize people who have connections can't do the same, but the OP states they have a short non stop that arrives at 7:55AM, that leaves more than enough wiggle room.  And yes, I've had sailaways delayed several times so that cruise booked flights that became late could arrive.

For those needed even more of a cushion, book Florida cruises on MSC, which doesn't sail until 7pm since they allow extra time for European flight arrivals.  Or book cruises from San Juan, they usually don't leave until 9 or 10pm.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

I flew the morning of my cruise from NY maybe 35 or 40 times with never an issue, non stop, carry on luggage, usually on a ship by 11AM.

Your logo says FL - how long has it been since you’ve flown out of New York (especially in winter)?

Of course, you most probably can fly in the morning of a cruise - many people do and very few don’t make it.  The odds are on your side - but the larger the stake (missing a cruise is a big bet) the stronger you want the odds to be in your favor.  On a $1 bet, I’d be happy with 51 - 49 ; for a cruise sailing I’d want 99 - 1 in my favor.

The real point is: the cruise is meant to be enjoyable and relaxing; flying the day before means no stress, you board the ship rested and ready to go rather than after getting up at 4:30 to get to the airport by 6:00 to get you on a 7:30 flight which (if on time) gets you to MIA or FLL by 10:30 so you can board kind of worn out.  Also, you will probably find a cheaper flight sometime during the day before than that first one in the morning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

The plane doesn't just go back and forth between the two airports.  Very likely it's coming in from someplace else--and that place could indeed be affected by snow.  Additionally SE GA can get ice storms.  

I'd also say that airlines are building less and less time into turnarounds these days, and in my experience, flights are becoming delayed more and more often.  I've been delayed two or more hours to my final destination on about 30% of my flights in the past year, one of which caused a forced overnight.  The delays have been about 50/50 weather and mechanical.

Good chance it is coming from farther north

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Same here many times, but not as many as you.     Well, more accurate to say we have taken many red-eye flights arriving morning of the cruise.  Never a problem.  Not stressful to me but others feel differently so I don't recommend it.