Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

46 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Goodness, must be some dirty non handwashers aboard spreading it around.

I guess, I never heard if they know who started it but they are up to over 7% infected. I am glad they will have a few days to clean it up for us!

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I also try and avoid eating things that I usually use my hands for, like chips, pizza, hamburgers and bread rolls. If I do eat them, I use cutlery.

Excellent tip, I never thought of that. I do avoid bread but the rest, yeah. I am curious as to how they will handle boarding us--if they will do any temperature checks or similar.

The Bureau of Met posted a brilliant photo on FB a short while ago,  of both fire affected bush and cascading rainfall in our fabulous Blue Mountains. ( Govetts Leap actually ) says it all.

6600EE33-8EB5-4EF9-867A-17BAE77E0788.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is just a question of how many plant species survived. If the fires were too hot some species of seeds may not have survived😳.

Don't many of our native species regenerate after bushfires? 

Leigh

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Don't many of our native species regenerate after bushfires? 

Leigh

Not if it is too hot. The last major fire in the Victorian Alps was so hot it almost wiped out the Snow Gum seed bank (that is seedlings in the ground waiting to sprout). They had to supplement the seeds with those from NSW. So while some plants may grow back others may have found the fires too hot. There was a documentary last week where a fire expert was saying the fires were so hot it oxidised the iron in the soil so it sounds like it was probably hot enough to to destroy some of the seed bank. There was always going to be long term effects to this fire season and in the coming months we will see how much biodiversity was lost.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Only if they don't get cooked all the way through.

I read this article which was published in the Canberra Times in mid January which is quite interesting - https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6586308/after-the-fire-can-our-plants-bounce-back/

Leigh

• Thanks 1

Big seas got nuffin on the ride to the airport in the Elf Mobile!!

[emoji41]

Damn, I thought Karen was driving!
Looking forward to the experience, I am a good backseat driver, ask Andy......

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Damn, I thought Karen was driving!
Looking forward to the experience, I am a good backseat driver, ask Andy......

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

My wife can drive and navigate from the back seat or any seat really, doesn't even have to be in a car.

Help Out a Yank!

My wife and I are heading to Sydney for three days (early March) before boarding a cruise up the north coast and on to Bali.

1. Are bush fires from Sydney finally under control, thanks to your rain?

2. Does It usually rain this much this time of year?  What kind of weather can we expect in mid-late March for Sidney? Brisbane? Cairns?   

3. What's the best local beer in Sydney? I'm a light beer drinker (don't judge me, I'm on a diet).

THANKS!

1. yes fires are no longer a problem. 

2. March has traditionally been a wetter month in Sydney, based on my sporting experiences, but weather patterns have changed somewhat, and we have had a lot of rain here in the past week

3. no 'best' beer, just a lot of choices, including light. There are the mass market beers like VB & Toohey's New, but there is a wide variety including many craft beers now, both on-tap & also bottles & cans. For me, pretty much any local beer will be better than the well known US beers. My favourite US beer is from Texas - Shiner Bock.

For a good light beer I suggest you try a Great Northern Super Crisp.

Whatever you do, don't ask for a Fosters 🙂

Weather in March from Brisbane to Cape York.

Light SE trade winds, cloudy to overcast increasing as you go further north.

Good weather in Arafura Sea to Darwin.

All subject to weather variations & cyclones.

GBR pilot usually stays on to Darwin & may give a lecture.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, Porky55 said:

These before and after rain photos were on Maccas - Australia All Over page. Just amazing how fast this ancient land recovers isn’t it?

E38104D6-2BB0-4E7C-9D42-7DC8AA9389FD.jpeg

205BE5DB-FBC5-484F-B590-8A2825E92382.jpeg

Thank you for posting these photos. It's a small start but it gives some hope after the devastation.

Julie

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I love those photos!  What is the time span between brown and green?

The time difference between the photos is 2 - 3 months. The first two photos - one taken on December 1st and the other last weekend. The second two photos -  one taken November 19th and the other February 15th. Both lots of photos were taken in south east Queensland.

Leigh

My grass is 2 foot high, got lions and tigers creeping through it, waiting for my mower man.😟

Still on Level 4 water restrictions here - NSW Far South Coast (Eurobodalla)

Edited by NSWP