Saving Your Chair

MsSoCalCruiser

I carry a beach bag, so I leave that on or under my chair or lying atop the little table, and I always use my clips for the towel, so it's pretty obvious that the space is actively occupied.  If I'm going in the pool, I obviously even leave my Kindle (tucked under the towel), and it's never been a problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I left a sweater once & someone tried to move it 😶 so I would be concerned with leaving a kindle

Sometimes I think non-Solos think we're being chair hogs but we aren't. I don't want it all day just until I'm done with breakfast in the IC. I don't go to the buffet bc it's too hard to keep my place until done (sometimes I want 2nds)

I don't think it's right for someone to 'stake out' a chair in prime real estate and then go off to have breakfast.  I would think it's more polite to have your breakfast first, then go to the pool area.  There's nothing wrong with leaving something on the chair to hold it if you are going to the rest room or getting a beverage at the bar there.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think it's right for someone to 'stake out' a chair in prime real estate and then go off to have breakfast.  I would think it's more polite to have your breakfast first, then go to the pool area.  There's nothing wrong with leaving something on the chair to hold it if you are going to the rest room or getting a beverage at the bar there.

As a cruising newbie, this is what seems logical to me, also.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I agree with you 1000% but I don't go to the pool area. My issue is with the Good Spirits area which is the seating area used by those frequenting the IC in the morning. Although the servers will bring me lattes they don't bring me a muffin if I'm still hungry after my parfait. And I'm not staying all morning but would like to remain at the table all breakfast

If no one has been in a chair ANYWHERE for a half hour it should be fair game. I still think the sign (perhaps with a post-it giving an estimated return of 2-5 minutes) is great! 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I agree with you 1000% but I don't go to the pool area. My issue is with the Good Spirits area which is the seating area used by those frequenting the IC in the morning. Although the servers will bring me lattes they don't bring me a muffin if I'm still hungry after my parfait. And I'm not staying all morning but would like to remain at the table all brea

In IC I tend to leave my glasses on the table when I go for something else. Granted, it can make reading signs an issue but I generally can tell what I want to eat and don't know what type of coffee drink I want before I go to the counter. If my glasses and, perhaps something else, are left on the table with my napkin, etc. it should be pretty obvious that someone is actively using the spot.

• Like 1

It was on one of our recent cruises .I like swimming & the jacuzzi & been known to stay awhile ,especially if chatting with others  .One time i came back & this woman had my robe that i placed on the lounge chair on the floor  . 

2 hours ago, geoherb said:

I see a sign like that more for seats in the buffet to let the servers know you'll be back shortly. 

I have seen people tip their chair (with the back of the chair against the table) to indicate that the space is occupied. I have even seen staff suggest that people do that because they cannot stand watch over the place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have seen people tip their chair (with the back of the chair against the table) to indicate that the space is occupied. I have even seen staff suggest that people do that because they cannot stand watch over the place. 

This is dangerous as the legs stick out and are a tripping hazard.  As a solo cruiser I leave something on table if I am going back to buffet, book, small bag, can’t leave glasses or I would be a hazard without them. Lol

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

It was on one of our recent cruises .I like swimming & the jacuzzi & been known to stay awhile ,especially if chatting with others  .One time i came back & this woman had my robe that i placed on the lounge chair on the floor  . 

What's 'awhile?' 

If I'm not purchasing anything, I leave my cruise card/medallion on the chair/table and never had a problem. I've learned to take a bag with me when going to pool deck since I've been known to go up to the bar 😉 

saving a chair as a solo doesn't seem to be much of a problem as per the above posts

the real problem is the chair hogs … when you go to the pool at 7am and you see row after row of prime location chairs covered with towels … then some of those chairs stay empty until the afternoon

but that's not what this thread is about … sorry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NRWPA said:

If I'm not purchasing anything, I leave my cruise card/medallion on the chair/table and never had a problem. I've learned to take a bag with me when going to pool deck since I've been known to go up to the bar 😉 

That's definitely not the best idea. 

My husband doesn't like hanging out at the pool, so on a day I'm doing it, I'm solo there. I have been known to leave my bag on the chair (has my kindle, sunscreen, etc) .and go get a burger, come back and eat it at my chair, that can take some time if there's a line. I've never had a problem getting back to my chair and I don't think that's considered chair hogging. 

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

What's really irritating is if I have to use the facilities while waiting for a show. I sincerely doubt your sign would help me there, MsSoCalCruisers. 

I know. That’s really a pain when you get there early and right before the show starts you need to use the facilities… There goes your seat.

• Thanks 1