Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

So a somewhat serious answer, I've been trying to think where I've had really good chicken fried steak. Most people usually can remember where they had a really good meal.  And I'm thinking it might have been in Pennsylvania.  Specifically Lancaster County, PA. It's right on the Mason-Dixon Line so it's possible some good ole Southern Food spilled across the border to the north.

Mix in Amish cooking combined with Southern cooking, and it sounds like a winner!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, brillohead said:

So, today was the day -- I finally met my birth father, Bill!

Bill and his brother Jack drove up from Alabama.  They checked in to their hotel, and then called me to join them.  They were waiting out in the lobby when I got there... Jack wanted to catch the meeting on video, but his shaky 81yo hands didn't quite get the job done, so we staged a repeat that was recorded on my phone by a hotel employee!  LOL

We went to their room and they showed me some pics, and then we headed out to dinner.  I had given them a list of restaurant options earlier in the day, and they somehow chose Red Lobster (I say "somehow" because those two squabble like no two siblings I've ever seen!  It's all good-natured, but they sure do pick on each other something fierce!).  

Jack and I did most of the talking during dinner... I get the feeling that Bill is the quieter of the two in general.  But it wasn't an uncomfortable situation of him not talking -- he answered questions and interjected on occasion, he just wasn't as talkative as Jack and I were.

After dinner, we went to my Aunt Linda's (their younger sister) house.  I met her and her husband, then their son came with his family, and the grandsons who live in the basement came up and joined the group, too.  The living room got pretty loud, with multiple conversations crossing the room at the same time.

Tomorrow morning is breakfast with Bill, Jack, and Linda, and my son Matthew is joining us.  I'm going to take a pad of paper and a pen and try to write down as many names and relationships as I can -- this big family thing is totally new to me!  Tomorrow night is dinner again, hopefully my son and his girlfriend can join us as well.  Then going back to Aunt Linda's house after dinner to meet her daughter who couldn't make it out tonight.  Bill and Jack head back to Alabama on Wednesday morning.  

Such a warm, loving family... and everyone accepted me with open arms, literally -- hugs from everyone.  I've already been invited out to Aunt Linda's for "Easter" dinner on Saturday before I go to work... I might make everyone wear nametags!  LOL

I took the time to look in Bill's eyes and tell him that he has NOTHING to feel guilty about -- he had absolutely no way of knowing that I ever existed.  I can tell that he does feel guilt over it, but hopefully in time it will fade.  The second he knew the truth, he stepped right up and claimed me and accepted me, which is more than anyone has really ever done for me before. 

I really do feel like I won the lottery with this family discovery. 

(And I just went online and bought five tickets for tomorrow night's Mega Millions lottery drawing, just in case my luck holds out!) 

211760753_359949302156151_644912274469664342_n.jpg

I just read this with Sharon.   We are both so happy for you!  I thought that was funny when you did the retake video.  😆 I bet it's such a warm feeling what you are experiencing. 

Looking forward to you winning the lottery and us all sailing away together!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Bill and his brother Jack drove up from Alabama.  They checked in to their hotel, and then called me to join them.  They were waiting out in the lobby when I got there... Jack wanted to catch the meeting on video, but his shaky 81yo hands didn't quite get the job done, so we staged a repeat that was recorded on my phone by a hotel employee!  LOL

We went to their room and they showed me some pics, and then we headed out to dinner.  I had given them a list of restaurant options earlier in the day, and they somehow chose Red Lobster (I say "somehow" because those two squabble like no two siblings I've ever seen!  It's all good-natured, but they sure do pick on each other something fierce!).  

Jack and I did most of the talking during dinner... I get the feeling that Bill is the quieter of the two in general.  But it wasn't an uncomfortable situation of him not talking -- he answered questions and interjected on occasion, he just wasn't as talkative as Jack and I were.

After dinner, we went to my Aunt Linda's (their younger sister) house.  I met her and her husband, then their son came with his family, and the grandsons who live in the basement came up and joined the group, too.  The living room got pretty loud, with multiple conversations crossing the room at the same time.

Tomorrow morning is breakfast with Bill, Jack, and Linda, and my son Matthew is joining us.  I'm going to take a pad of paper and a pen and try to write down as many names and relationships as I can -- this big family thing is totally new to me!  Tomorrow night is dinner again, hopefully my son and his girlfriend can join us as well.  Then going back to Aunt Linda's house after dinner to meet her daughter who couldn't make it out tonight.  Bill and Jack head back to Alabama on Wednesday morning.  

Such a warm, loving family... and everyone accepted me with open arms, literally -- hugs from everyone.  I've already been invited out to Aunt Linda's for "Easter" dinner on Saturday before I go to work... I might make everyone wear nametags!  LOL

I took the time to look in Bill's eyes and tell him that he has NOTHING to feel guilty about -- he had absolutely no way of knowing that I ever existed.  I can tell that he does feel guilt over it, but hopefully in time it will fade.  The second he knew the truth, he stepped right up and claimed me and accepted me, which is more than anyone has really ever done for me before. 

(And I just went online and bought five tickets for tomorrow night's Mega Millions lottery drawing, just in case my luck holds out!) 

Pretty awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

So happy for you, they sound wonderful. And how great is it that you've got a new extended family to be part of and your son gets to meet his grandad.

Happy days when you decided to do the research and dna test 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I just read this with Sharon.   We are both so happy for you!  I thought that was funny when you did the retake video.  😆 I bet it's such a warm feeling what you are experiencing. 

Looking forward to you winning the lottery and us all sailing away together!

This is a perfect example of how I would have missed @brilloheadpost if it hadn't been for your post. This happens a lot.

• Like 7

So yesterday I baked cakes with extra egg in them for Isaacs egg challenge on Wednesday. Will be given in an allergy clinic in London.

And today I'm supporting my son whilst he takes Isaac to a North London clinic for Isaacs peanut butter challenge.  Another of his issues is car sickness so it helps having another adult in the car.  Paying for this privately as the NHS's has a 'wait and see' policy and my son and DIL would be happier if they knew the extent of his allergies and can build up resistance to them 

We're hoping he will be able to tolerate baked eggs in cakes, biscuits etc 

The peanut butter challenge is a slow build up of tolerance over several months 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Early Easter dinner tonight, since that was the time we could get the family together.  

It almost looks like a Thanksgiving dinner, because everyone loves turkey. Turkey, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, baked corn, cheese broccoli, and stuffing.  And that just may be an adult beverage in the glass. 😁

0E3463BF-5D56-48CB-85C0-BDC73F670B05.thumb.jpeg.6fe08f777bee1e514fdc081f5e090458.jpeg

Daughter made some colorful eggs.  Sorry, but some were gone before I got the picture. 

EF25F7C7-867C-4B10-9A0B-DFA9C0629D9C.thumb.jpeg.0115780dd0d2c95be3b9d02bca9a5525.jpeg

What better for dessert than cheesecake?

4E0CCCA4-08C2-445D-8A57-06F7B5AF089C.thumb.jpeg.274d399335fe0921f02712db1aabc534.jpeg

And some needless snacking after with cookies. 

487D7551-1047-4992-81EF-EE442AA39F5C.thumb.jpeg.18159f3d3b93eb4700c39c3901118b43.jpeg

It is no wonder I was running a little slow in the baseball game after supper.  Me and granddaughter vs her dad and grandson, with Susan playing outfield for both teams.

5541D137-7AFE-4B0E-9B6A-021B1CA8A31B.thumb.png.44d1bc0b66333cfa6f6b34a292dd1016.png

Lots of fun, and we won by one run due to an infield error by her dad.  I think he threw the game for her. 🤣🤣

Dinner looks scrumptious, especially love the Easter cookies😀

• Like 4

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Congratulations💖   so happy that you met your family and everyone is welcoming you with open arms.

I'm sure it is overwhelming for all but also a very happy time for all.   Enjoy😃

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Yes Caitlin Clark, she is a great player. Her outside shot range is unreal.

Didn't like how the game ended though when the LSU player Angel Reese taunted Caitlin Clark with about 1 minute left in the game. It was really disrespectful in my opinion.

I'm not happy with either of their actions but Clark had a healthy plate of what goes around comes around served by the Karma Gods. Live by the sword, die by the sword.  IMO from previous examples of her sportsmanship, had her team won she would have been just as bad in the finals to LSU.  

I see the same behaviour with kids that Owen has played against.  When the arrogant ones fall, the victory is even better.  Unfortunately Reese let it get the better of her, which isn't a good look on her either.

I am surprised that you are not equally disappointed with Caitlin from her actions during previous games.  She showed the same disrespect, if not more from what I have read.  Up to the final game she had the trash talk and the game to back it, she just couldn't seal the deal in the finals. 

Clark pulled the “You can’t see me” wave during the Elite Eight.  

ScreenShot2023-04-04at8_43_48AM.thumb.png.380d10116d7ba3e1aa1cebd8793b21d0.png

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

From your article came the following quote... "The taunt she (Reese) employed was frequently used by Clark when Clark was winning".  

Two wrongs don't make a right, an in this case there are cameras everywhere so every one could see both of their actions. One might only guess that Reese had enough of Clark's actions during the tourney. Hopefully both have learned something but at this age it seems unlikely.

Here's an article you might want to read about Clark's actions during the tourney.  

https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/for-the-girls-that-look-like-me-baltimore-county-native-and-ncaa-champion-angel-reese-faces-double-standards-on-court-with-criticism-over-taunting-during-basketball-game/

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I'm not happy with either of their actions but Clark had a healthy plate of what goes around comes around served by the Karma Gods. Live by the sword, die by the sword.  IMO from previous examples of her sportsmanship, had her team won she would have been just as bad in the finals to LSU.  

I see the same behaviour with kids that Owen has played against.  When the arrogant ones fall, the victory is even better.  Unfortunately Reese let it get the better of her, which isn't a good look on her either.

I am surprised that you are not equally disappointed with Caitlin from her actions during previous games.  She showed the same disrespect, if not more from what I have read.  Up to the final game she had the trash talk and the game to back it, she just couldn't seal the deal in the finals. 

Clark pulled the “You can’t see me” wave during the Elite Eight.  

ScreenShot2023-04-04at8_43_48AM.thumb.png.380d10116d7ba3e1aa1cebd8793b21d0.png

From your article came the following quote... "The taunt she (Reese) employed was frequently used by Clark when Clark was winning".  

Two wrongs don't make a right, an in this case there are cameras everywhere so every one could see both of their actions. One might only guess that Reese had enough of Clark's actions during the tourney. Hopefully both have learned something but at this age it seems unlikely.

Here's an article you might want to read about Clark's actions during the tourney.  

https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/for-the-girls-that-look-like-me-baltimore-county-native-and-ncaa-champion-angel-reese-faces-double-standards-on-court-with-criticism-over-taunting-during-basketball-game/

Totally agree. Uncalled for in any case. Just play the darn game.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations💖   so happy that you met your family and everyone is welcoming you with open arms.

I'm sure it is overwhelming for all but also a very happy time for all.   Enjoy😃

+ 1  Debbi, @brillohead 

Just now, derorim said:

I'm so very happy for you.  Enjoy every minute!

+ 1  Sue, @Lionesss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

And today I'm supporting my son whilst he takes Isaac to a North London clinic for Isaacs peanut butter challenge. 

Paying for this privately as the NHS's has a 'wait and see' policy and my son and DIL would be happier if they knew the extent of his allergies and can build up resistance to them 

Almost the same case with our 2 grandsons -- both allergic to nuts (cashew, almonds, pistachio), health insurance not paying....😢

• Like 7

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I have it in DVD and VCR as well. Not sure why I still have the VCR tape as I don't have a player but hey, never know when it may come back in style. Like vinyl records. 😁

Love that movie, I can watch it over and over and still laugh at the same jokes.  I also might have a mild crush on Marisa Tomei. But I would love it even without her, just a little less. 😉😇

I need to toss my last few vhs tapes in the garbage since my last player died recently had hundreds at one time , also had the original Betamax which I bought in 1976 . Still have hundreds of vinyl albums and about a hundred 45’s . 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

So very cool that you could meet your dad and the rest of your new family. My wife has a cousin that found his father which was her uncle but her uncle didn’t want him to meet his family until he passed , so we meet him two years ago at the memorial for het uncle. Some of his brothers were not happy about the situation and being kept in the dark for many years. We recently got together with him and had a great time and we both have family in Denver and might meet there in future or New York City. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

College decisions have been announced to our family.  Ava will be attending URI, and Meghan will be heading to the University of Maryland.  We are so very proud of both of them, and are excited by their choices!

Congratulations all around!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

This is so amazing.  So happy for you.   May your good fortune continue!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes Caitlin Clark, she is a great player. Her outside shot range is unreal.

Didn't like how the game ended though when the LSU player Angel Reese taunted Caitlin Clark with about 1 minute left in the game. It was really disrespectful in my opinion.

There is a video in this link of the taunting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/angel-reese-not-interested-in-jill-bidens-pitch-to-invite-iowa-to-white-house-alongside-lsu-025929247.html

The trash talk here is pretty meh, in my opinion.  The backlash is way overblown.

My favorite basketball player of all time is Gary Payton.  I find it amusing that trash talking/taunting by GP, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, etc. is proof of their fire and competitiveness, but when females do it...

OMG how disrespectful!!!!

Trash talk has been around as long as sports has been around.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Luckynana said:

College decisions have been announced to our family.  Ava will be attending URI, and Meghan will be heading to the University of Maryland.  We are so very proud of both of them, and are excited by their choices!

The granddaughter of one of my friends is finishing her first year at URI.She loves being there.My son in law Eric grew up in Maryland and everyone believed that he would be going to college at the Univ of MD but he surprised them and went to UVA.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NHProud said:

At half time it doesn’t look good for SDSU . We moved to SD in 1972 .  No tee shirts . 

A good friend of mine who I have been friends with longer than any of my friends moved to San Diego from NY 45 years ago.He loved living there.My wife and I were there 4 times over the years.Much to my surprise my friend moved to Oregon about 4 years ago.

• Like 1