Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Time for an actual cruising question.  We're doing a family cruise on Wonder in November.  Same old, same old itinerary...St. Maarten, St. Thomas, CocoCay.  I'm looking for ideas on St. Maarten. For our first visit there many years ago (including daughters), we did a round the island tour with Bernard's Tours and enjoyed it.  We've since been to Maho Beach several times, and now typically just do a beach/shopping day in Philipsburg.  The "kids" with us are all in their late 20s and will want to do something more active.  We could try Bernard's again...anyone used them recently?   Any other ideas for something new and different?

We spent a week at the Westin in Sint Maarten mostly driving around enjoying the scenery and good food . 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

So its been a busy few days away and I've just caught up. 

After our first outing on the boat last weekend and looking after the grands on Tuesday we took the opportunity to have a few days away in Cornwall. 

We stayed just outside Mevagissey in The Cornwall Spa Hotel.  It was very nice but had large tour groups from Germany and USA on two of the three nights and the staff were overwhelmed in the kitchen and restaurant, with dinner on the first night taking three hours. 

On our first full day we went to Perranporth where my Paternal grandmother lived and where we spent most of our holidays growing up.  Then went into Mevagissey where other relatives lived for dinner. 

The surf was up and there were about 20 people surfing, but as the water temperature was about 13c I just paddled

20240516_115654.thumb.jpg.5fd930bef154a95553cff8c75c0e049d.jpg

This was the spot where the author of the Poldark novels had a beach but and wrote his books

20240516_130807.thumb.jpg.8a4795c992d70045470262c0791a4992.jpg

Mevagissey harbour, still a working fishing port.

20240516_182522.thumb.jpg.5e7af5262923f2571c2fd3c604bbf4b7.jpg

Inner and outer harbour. We spotted a seal in the outer harbour

20240516_182803.thumb.jpg.0e4bb057d02ecb7f1070079438ca1c6b.jpg

Great pictures. Between yours and @grapau27 Graham’s pictures I’m amazed at how beautiful some of the beaches and the color of the Sea in the UK are. I’ve been to the UK but never been to a beach there. Will have to put that on my must do list 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm watching American Idol as I type this, with hopes Abi wins. So talented, a pleasure to listen to her.

My 92 year old neighbor went to the ACM awards a few days ago.  It was held in an indoor 12,000 seat stadium 10 mins. from where I live.  She loved Jelly Roll!  I was so impressed at her music knowledge. She is the most savvy lady of any age.  Impeccable, a real fashionista, always on the go. I told her I want to be like her when I grow up 😊 The stadium, btw, is a Dallas Cowboy practice facility.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Time for an actual cruising question.  We're doing a family cruise on Wonder in November.  Same old, same old itinerary...St. Maarten, St. Thomas, CocoCay.  I'm looking for ideas on St. Maarten. For our first visit there many years ago (including daughters), we did a round the island tour with Bernard's Tours and enjoyed it.  We've since been to Maho Beach several times, and now typically just do a beach/shopping day in Philipsburg.  The "kids" with us are all in their late 20s and will want to do something more active.  We could try Bernard's again...anyone used them recently?   Any other ideas for something new and different?

We have gone to Orient Beach, Pinel Island, and Kim Sha. All beach stuff for the most part.  

We also went on an excursion to St. Bart's from St. Maarten. That was really great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I heard another one of my dear friend's new songs today... "Thank You Aimee". It is about a high school bully who she went to school with. All I have to say is don't cross my dear friend. You will be the subject of a song and you will be sorry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

Yay!!  I am so happy Abi won American Idol.  

@jmh2006 Jennifer, best wishes for Dave's kidney blast today and have smooth sails on your upcoming cruise.

@sgmn Sue, thank you for posting your beautiful pictures.

Question: Do you have to use your Diamond vouchers inside the Diamond Club?  Keeping fingers crossed that we'll be Diamonds in time for Bella 02! Having early seating, we'll have to get there after dinner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

@jmh2006 Jennifer, best wishes for Dave's kidney blast today and have smooth sails on your upcoming cruise.

Question: Do you have to use your Diamond vouchers inside the Diamond Club?  Keeping fingers crossed that we'll be Diamonds in time for Bella 02! Having early seating, we'll have to get there after dinner.

Diamond vouchers can be used in any bar on the ship , I prefer going to bars with love music like schooner piano bar and the pub.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm watching American Idol as I type this, with hopes Abi wins. So talented, a pleasure to listen to he

I watched the original American Idol almost to the end.  Only watched the revived version sporadically the first season or two and not all the last 3 years. I managed to catch the last hour of the finale and from the judges and audience reactions, it seemed like Abi was clearly the hands-down winner. I know Ryan said it was  close vote but I feel like he always used to say that. Too bad they never release the vote count.

And what is up with Katy chowing down on a slice of pizza in the middle of a live show? Is that just part of her fun, quirky personality?

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 12:13 PM, George C said:

Warm day in Dallas will be in low 90’s , but New York City on Thursday, have tickets to Hamilton on Friday, will see another play or two plus show at 54 below. Will get a pastrami sandwich at either Katz or 2nd ave deli. Do our favorite restaurant Becco at least once and must have pizza a couple of times . Have our favorite suite at michealanglo which as a great location 51st and 7ave. Want to try a new restaurant not sure what yet , meeting a couple boyhood friends Sunday and will listen to a cousin play drums at Swing 46. On Memorial Day we fly to Shelagh home town in Buffalo area , have some great wings and beef on wick. Will see some of my wife’s family and also her best friend. 

Going to be in the high 80s' here the next few days so Texas heat will be here to greet you!  But it will be more seasonable this weekend. Seems like you have a busy, nice time planned. Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Going to be in the high 80s' here the next few days so Texas heat will be here to greet you!  But it will be more seasonable this weekend. Seems like you have a busy, nice time planned. Enjoy!

Really looking forward to our trip , will use my pool this afternoon, water should be above 80 , we do New York every memorial weekend ( except during Covid) . Wife loves New York every since her first trip about 35 years ago.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

You use vouchers at any bar, including Diamond Lounge. 

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

You can use your vouchers at any bar and at the coffee shop.  If you don't want to use your vouchers for coffee, sodas or water be sure to tell them when ordering that you don't want to use your voucher.  We don't really drink that much especially on port days so I will use my voucher for other drinks if it looks like I will not use them all.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Great pictures. Between yours and @grapau27 Graham’s pictures I’m amazed at how beautiful some of the beaches and the color of the Sea in the UK are. I’ve been to the UK but never been to a beach there. Will have to put that on my must do list 🙂

Good evening @voyager70.

I hope you are well.

After work we went to the beach with a picnic.

I hope everyone on here is safe and well.

IMG_20240520_173929.jpg

IMG_20240520_175714.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

The vouchers are for everywhere.

If you are close to Diamond it is worth considering booking another cruise in a Junior Suite before Bella 2 where you get double points to get you Diamond status.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

As mentioned, just returned from Celebrity Eclipse cruise. Here are some photos. We did a lot of long walks following routes/trails my husband found online. Weather was mostly cool, as expected.  In the 50s on Martha's Vineyard and about 65 - 75 in Bermuda. Great for walking. We spent a few hours walking and then enjoyed nice lunches.

Martha's Vineyard (Oak Bluffs, Mass.):

20240512_092239.thumb.jpg.9e30c8263a1107ea130c6034f1db83c5.jpg

20240512_092651.thumb.jpg.932dededf0caacb13a8fbd6f523a485c.jpg

20240512_114233.thumb.jpg.4644ca540f3a8fdbbaf36b0299dc2f8c.jpg

Bermuda Day 1 - although we have been to the central area of Hamilton many times, this trip we walked all around the parish of Pembroke (which Hamilton is in). We made a giant circle, starting and ending in Hamilton.

20240515_140127.thumb.jpg.70cd51937881a1d11638d0adbddddf78.jpg

above ... Celebrity Eclipse and NCL Joy in distance.

20240515_135110.thumb.jpg.4a056eae3f7dd16c6ab5b92bad7ab063.jpg

20240515_131620.thumb.jpg.c6478e81444fb4672ae62ebbd5341b52.jpg

Above: view as we ate lunch at outside bar at Fairmont Princess hotel. 

I will add some more Bermuda photos in another post a bit later....

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The vouchers are for everywhere.

If you are close to Diamond it is worth considering booking another cruise in a Junior Suite before Bella 2 where you get double points to get you Diamond status.

That is exactly what Jim and I did prior to our B2B just before our Bella cruise last year😉  We did a 4 day in a Junior Suite on Liberty, since we were 8 pts away from Diamond.😊

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mets07 said:

As mentioned, just returned from Celebrity Eclipse cruise. Here are some photos. We did a lot of long walks following routes/trails my husband found online. Weather was mostly cool, as expected.  In the 50s on Martha's Vineyard and about 65 - 75 in Bermuda. Great for walking. We spent a few hours walking and then enjoyed nice lunches.

Martha's Vineyard (Oak Bluffs, Mass.):

20240512_092239.thumb.jpg.9e30c8263a1107ea130c6034f1db83c5.jpg

20240512_092651.thumb.jpg.932dededf0caacb13a8fbd6f523a485c.jpg

20240512_114233.thumb.jpg.4644ca540f3a8fdbbaf36b0299dc2f8c.jpg

Bermuda Day 1 - although we have been to the central area of Hamilton many times, this trip we walked all around the parish of Pembroke (which Hamilton is in). We made a giant circle, starting and ending in Hamilton.

20240515_140127.thumb.jpg.70cd51937881a1d11638d0adbddddf78.jpg

above ... Celebrity Eclipse and NCL Joy in distance.

20240515_135110.thumb.jpg.4a056eae3f7dd16c6ab5b92bad7ab063.jpg

20240515_131620.thumb.jpg.c6478e81444fb4672ae62ebbd5341b52.jpg

I will add some more Bermuda photos in another post a bit later....

Martha's Vineyard and Bermuda, two places that I really enjoy being. Oak Bluffs is a fun place. I go there fairly often just to get away.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, mets07 said:

I thought I read somewhere that the Fairmont on Bermuda had closed.  Good to hear that's not the case.

• Like 4

On 5/18/2024 at 8:25 PM, Luckynana said:

Thank you, Bonnie.  I really appreciate your lovely words, as well as your increasing my Yiddish vocabulary at the same time!🥰😘

What a lovely and special relationship you and your kindergarten teacher shared through the years.  One of my daughters has been a friend on facebook with her 5th grade teacher for many years now.  

Thank you, Lenny!😊

The son of my one time Lawyer had a similiar experience in school as Jack.Today he is VP of CBS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

Diamond vouchers can be used in any bar on the ship , I prefer going to bars with love music like schooner piano bar and the pub.

Do the drinks taste different if "Love" music isn't being played?  😉🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 5/19/2024 at 10:29 AM, bobmacliberty said:

The Star Wars Museum was very interesting when we were there a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I thought I read somewhere that the Fairmont on Bermuda had closed.  Good to hear that's not the case.

The one that is closed (Fairmont Southampton) is in a different location (near Gibbs Lighthouse).  There was "discussion" that it would re-open, but it did not sound like there was a firm plan.

The one we were at is in Hamilton. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Continuation of a few more photos from our Celebrity Eclipse cruise...

Day 2 of Bermuda.

We took the ferry to St. George. We then proceeded on one of our long walks...

20240516_091532.thumb.jpg.395b585831a1668f6efe5f04df7fbec6.jpg

20240516_094742.thumb.jpg.ab66042a4109f8cdf0969a1f71681183.jpg

20240516_104354.thumb.jpg.3dfff127dd384d527c7bff5d073ac242.jpg

20240516_112409.thumb.jpg.a2416293bfb71112032c7f1c705cdb90.jpg

above is Tobacco Bay ...

Day 3 of Bermuda. Bus to Somerset Bridge. Then walked the Bermuda Railway Trail to Gibbs Lighthouse. 

20240517_084856.thumb.jpg.afb6e4f5d130993911de1a6505f96948.jpg

20240517_085211.thumb.jpg.bdb489d627d5cfba89645ca8459d9e71.jpg

20240517_095609.thumb.jpg.9b09698d288f1ebb3440e5e2543c83e6.jpg

20240517_105648.thumb.jpg.9bcddc919ec406d30ab7373043f24c57.jpg

Lighthouse was beautiful but might need a paint touch-up! 

Bermuda is really a wonderful place with gorgeous water and views .... and very kind people. 

• Like 17