Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I couldn't resist the mussels (moules) frites.

Thank you for fond memories... Having lived in Brussels for 5 years, "moules avec frites" were a staple in our "diet" 😉...

Nice to find a place to "adopt" and keep returning to 😁

• Like 1

At home today and getting "house things" done.

Crusing on the Edge was excellent! We are very happy we did it.

People on the CC boards speculate and worry (including me😁) a lot about what is on the Celebrity website and what did Don say and what did FB group say and so on!
Things were different on board and you just go with the flow....that is the best lesson to be learnt instead of worrying and speculating and reading thousands of reports. For instance, the Celebrity website  info states that SXM requires all visitors to test before getting off the ship to visit. Many from our roll call did not want to go through that stress. I understand. But the stress was unnecessary. Onboard it was different. According to the shore excursion crew, they have "negotiated" (exact words) with the SXM authorities about this. We were told that no testing is needed and we can do a shore excursion or go on our own. We did both. Also asked to take a picture of the vaccine card or a copy, just in case some place requires. We went to down town in the morning. Most things were open. Water taxi was running very frequently at very low passanger capacity. They were social distancing. Masks were required but many did not wear. Some places they were asked to cover some not. We wore ours where we felt there were many people and it did not deter our enjoyment. We did a ship excursion t orient beach in the afternoon.... was not planning on it and always do our own in SXM, but I went to listen to the shore excursion presentation and the guy asked me a question. I knew the answer and won one excursion ticket. So we decided to use it and see how the "curated excursions" work. I think we will stick to our own in the future unless required. Question was where is the oldest synagogue in the Caribbean....Curacao of course. Toured the synagogue twice.

In Nassau, we took a taxi to Atlantis. At the gate they ask you to show a pic of vaccine card. We did not stay there long and mostly wandered around the open marina area. Everything there was open (stores and eateries). Everything downtown was closed partly becuase of Sunday. Was told that this is a new order for now that things downtown will remain closed on Sundays. Pharmacy part of one gift shop store was open. Downtown did look like a ghost town. Lot of construction going on at the pier. They are building a new marina and terminal. Some souvenier stalls were open in the immediate port area.

In St Thomas we went down town for a bit. Then we went to Emerald Beach which is closest to Crown Bay. Majority of stores in CB were closed. Most stores were open downtown. Some seemed to be doing really good business from the Edge passengers. I was given varying info on St John ferries.....were not running, were running two times a day only, have to take excursion or rent private boat to get there....yada yada. Was not going there this time, but asked several sources aka the taxi guys, the shore excursion guys, the stores, locals.

No port and shopping talks, no raffles, no $10 special sales, no spa port day special hawking. Peace! But some staff did do a hard push on the dining package the first night. The only time I saw a crowd in the jewelry store was when Captain Kate was presenting her collection. The stores were ridiculously expensive and sold mostly designer stuff...Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Tiffany, Cartier, Mary Frances, Lilli Pulitzer, Ribcoff, high end perfumes and the sort. The logo stuff seemed a step up too.

I felt safe, never felt scared, never speculated or said uh oh at a sneeze or cough I heard. Crew was fantastic and very happy to have us on board. I have never seen a happier crew! Captain Kate was very visible every day and one day Bug, was being strolled around in her stroller and meeowing at us. CD Lauren is a sweet heart!

Some people talked about separate areas for unvaccinated....I saw two tables set aside in the Martini Bar and two in Blue......never saw anyone occupying them. Did not notice any in the theater.

Capacity and % vaccinated according to different crew members I asked: 15 hundred something, 1600, between 1500 and 1600.  Vaccinated 98% constant answer.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I don't know if I want to go on Royal Caribbean again, but have many RC cruises booked.
The Odyssey was parked across from the Edge in FLL......pigeon hole balconies 😢Humongeous, Monstrosity, Don't Think I Wanna Be on It, were just some first thoughts that came to mind. But I bet you I will still go on it! LOL😁! THAT THING IS MAMMOTH!

Saw the following in port at St Martin:

Vision .......poor little rust bucket.😢They were doing some cleaning and painting outside. Saw crew bus bringing on one lonely crew member with luggage.
Rhapsody......thought she was sold(?)
Enchantment......needs attention. And a LOT of TLC.

Celebrity and especially the Edge has us very spoiled.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Today was corn day.  Took our grandkids to a farm, and today’s program was all about corn.   How to tell if it is ready to pick, how to pick it, along with many other things about corn.   They must have paid attention, because they were talking about many of the things they learned. 

It is a really nice program this place does for the young kids, and they have groups going through every half hour.  

A ride to the corn field in the tractor pulled wagon

170F74CB-1930-4787-BA63-2DBAC10F99F8.thumb.jpeg.36e4a7271500aa0442aeb2fc09fd17dc.jpeg

We passed some bacon along the way

541D3949-7167-457C-BBB5-ED176D41858A.thumb.jpeg.6a5a7309af556b74a19b5a729e33e5e9.jpeg

Picking corn “the right way”

1FDCE4C1-4EA7-4061-A4AA-C5CBDAD5B3A9.thumb.jpeg.37169c63e25e4f79f44e16da6b17931c.jpeg

Looks like a good one. 

54D5A239-0CDE-4619-86D5-529179188773.thumb.jpeg.bac3ed3db10226973017b83b3593e3b1.jpeg

And another

5B5B8C39-C157-46B7-BC4D-8C7137646B71.thumb.jpeg.94d9f89eca30d648a7ee4333ebf934d4.jpeg

and another

2B348C96-87B2-41A2-B7E2-ED88E430594E.thumb.jpeg.bbbee453c63804f9085aafb9cfe090c0.jpeg

Another wagon load of kids. 

C68E202D-BF50-41AB-AA8D-3D267E5F5CB1.thumb.jpeg.90ad5599ee0ca22f5c525e12cbf20271.jpeg

We cooked the corn they picked, and they did an excellent job.  Very delicious 

32562C2F-2B4C-4702-AB6E-ADE72EEE99AF.thumb.jpeg.49cf3ec9f90f56a9215aa841f61f7820.jpeg

We had the other two tonight so our daughter and her husband could celebrate their anniversary.  Fourteen years for them today. 

A summer your grandson and his cousins will never forget.  Would be a great idea to create a photo book with all these wonderful memories for you grandkids (and you) to enjoy for many years to come.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Afternoon everyone.

It is 60°F and light rain here.

We had a trip out to Lake Windermere and had lunch in a nice hotel overlooking the lake.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham 

IMG_20210729_123635.jpg

IMG_20210729_121259.jpg

IMG_20210729_120846.jpg

IMG_20210729_120836.jpg

IMG_20210729_142114.jpg

IMG_20210729_141920.jpg

Even in inclement weather, you and Pauline visit the most wonderful places for lunch with scenic views.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Thank you so much for such a detailed review.

So glad you thoroughly enjoyed your cruise.

Hopefully, we'll have the chance to be spoiled on Beyond ....

PS. Captain Kate "collection" ????

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Guess I wont hold my breath waiting for an apology for her rant yesterday!

Well maybe, like while you are waiting and you decide to go swimming and you dive into the pool…… momentarily maybe 🤔 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Better not visit Big Cedar Lodge.  Or any bass pro shop.

Are you referring to Big Cedar Lodge in Missouri ?

Many years ago by wife and I did a cross country US vacation.We stopped in 43 cities.We opted for small towns,including one in MO.and came across several places that were decorated with animal heads.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you so much for such a detailed review.

So glad you thoroughly enjoyed your cruise.

Hopefully, we'll have the chance to be spoiled on Beyond ....

PS. Captain Kate "collection" ????

Thanks Dani!

Captain Kate has inspired a jewelry collection designed by Kallatti from NY. The designer sisters were on board this cruise and presented the collection. Captain Kate "unveiled" that and some new collection. I am not a big fan of that jewelry ( or standing in a crowd of people) but I went to see Captain Kate and stood outside the store.

She and Bug also hosted Bug Trivia. Twenty questions on Bug's life😁. The winner got to hold Bug and take pictures.

She is absolutely lovely! I am not sure if she will stay on the Edge or move to Beyond. I think this is her third year as captian of the Edge and I have heard a rumor (?) that Celebrity keeps captains on one ship for 3 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I don't know if I want to go on Royal Caribbean again, but have many RC cruises booked.
The Odyssey was parked across from the Edge in FLL......pigeon hole balconies 😢Humongeous, Monstrosity, Don't Think I Wanna Be on It, were just some first thoughts that came to mind. But I bet you I will still go on it! LOL😁! THAT THING IS MAMMOTH!

Saw the following in port at St Martin:

Vision .......poor little rust bucket.😢They were doing some cleaning and painting outside. Saw crew bus bringing on one lonely crew member with luggage.
Rhapsody......thought she was sold(?)
Enchantment......needs attention. And a LOT of TLC.

The two rccl ships were there on our July 3 rd cruise also, Edge definitely spoiled us , unfortunately I doubt another penthouse suite is in our future. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arzeena said:

Thanks Dani!

Captain Kate has inspired a jewelry collection designed by Kallatti from NY. The designer sisters were on board this cruise and presented the collection. Captain Kate "unveiled" that and some new collection. I am not a big fan of that jewelry ( or standing in a crowd of people) but I went to see Captain Kate and stood outside the store.

She and Bug also hosted Bug Trivia. Twenty questions on Bug's life😁. The winner got to hold Bug and take pictures.

She is absolutely lovely! I am not sure if she will stay on the Edge or move to Beyond. I think this is her third year as captian of the Edge and I have heard a rumor (?) that Celebrity keeps captains on one ship for 3 years.

We would have loved have seen Bug, one thing we enjoy when traveling is our cat sitter sends us daily pictures of our two cats.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Things were different on board and you just go with the flow....that is the best lesson to be learnt instead of worrying and speculating and reading thousands of reports.

I’m trying to live my life this way now that I’m retired. Much less stress. It’s difficult going against my type A personality. Thanks for the review. Celebrity will definitely be in our future. The Edge looks great. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

She is absolutely lovely! I am not sure if she will stay on the Edge or move to Beyond.

Thanks, A.

I've heard the same "rumor" ... who knows, we may get to cruise, and to bot -- with Bug and C.K. 😉

As of today, we're "eligible" for a 3rd shot, "thanks" to the Delta variant [for the moment, all 60+].😢

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, A.

I've heard the same "rumor" ... who know, we may get to cruise, and to bot -- with Bug and C.K. 😉

As of today, we're "eligible" for a 3rd shot, "thanks" to the Delta variant [for the moment, all 60+].😢

interesting about the third shot. I haven’t been paying much attention…does a third shot help significantly, or is it that every little bit helps for the Delta variant?

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

interesting about the third shot. I haven’t been paying much attention…does a third shot help significantly, or is it that every little bit helps for the Delta variant?

I saw a news report last night saying the booster increased your level of antibodies by a factor of 5.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Squaw Valley, KT-22.  I was much younger when I was there, with a much younger body.  I miss skiing.

I'll keep doing it until the knees finally break down once and for all.  I was worried that I had reached that point this spring.  I tweaked my MCL on my last day skiing this year back in March. Then I tore it up worse playing basketball with some teenagers at the park 3 months ago and it just didn't recover.  Doc talked about referring me to ortho for a consult but I really want to avoid surgery. I have been working it on the bike for months.  Yesterday was the first day in ages that I haven't been limping.  There is hope for next season. 🙂 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I saw a news report last night saying the booster increased your level of antibodies by a factor of 5.

Being the 1st country to be almost fully vaccinated, now we're being the "guinea pigs" for the 3rd shot... No FDA, no regulation, no nothing -- just "risk management" for the elderly.

Research here found that the vaccine's efficiency (or may be the number of antibodies) decrease rapidly. Being the 1st vaccinated (our 2nd shot was January 24th), supposedly we have a very low level of antibodies, and the 3rd shot will "boost" it.

Experts say that the risk of complications outweighs the "unknowns" about the 3rd shot....

Given the fact that the Delta variant is much more virulent than the other "letters", it seems we have no choice.

• Like 6