COVID testing prior to cruising

rjrice1

Heard on the news that cruise ships will be doing "covid test" prior to boarding.

Wondering will this be a PCR test (a true covid test) the rapid ones can give false readings.

Thinking if this happens and one tests positive they will be denied boarding.   

Will the whole cabin be ask to leave?

Will they get reimbursed for this?

Are the islands going to let us dock?

We usually buy insurance for any reason to cancel.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

1. Probably

2. Depends

3. Hopefully

4. Check coverage restrictions

This is exactly what I have thought when I first saw the thread. I mean everything is so unpredictable right now. I wish there were more information and news on the situation but based on what we are getting it rather creates more questions than answers.. 

• Like 1

Bostwick girl, we are November 2 also, afraid to check my email fearing we are cancelled, one day at a time. 

On the COVID19 testing - many people test positive but are asymptomatic, would be a huge disappointment to hear that news at the port. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rjrice1 said:

Heard on the news that cruise ships will be doing "covid test" prior to boarding.

Wondering will this be a PCR test (a true covid test) the rapid ones can give false readings.

This has been tossed around a few times ever since they started doing it for the European cruises that resumed.

My guess:

Test required before heading to port, with negative results.  Test to have been performed within last 3 or 4 or 5 days or similar.

Rapid test when readying to board (at check-in) using that Abbott Antigen test.

If negative, free to board.

If positive, then a retest is done, possibly using Abbott rapid test again, but maybe also or instead use a PCR test.  Quarantine subject until results obtained.  If negative, free to board (may be monitored more regularly).  If positive, denied boarding.

The policy in Europe has been to deny boarding to anyone traveling to the port in the same vehicle as the subject that tests positive, AFAIK, since all of those within the vehicle are prime candidates for new infections.  Not sure how it is envisioned here, and whether the whole party could "opt out" of board if one person is denied, even if they traveled separately.

• Like 2

Impossible to do the PCR has the results take way to long. We are going to Jamaica in December and we have to be tested 2-10 days before arriving. A few badly infected states have stricter entry restrictions, like NY, Texas and Florida.

• Like 2

I believe that what MSC is doing is rapid testing before boarding. If you test positive then they give you a PCR test (yes, you can get results in hours if you get priority access at a lab). You only get denied boarding after 2 positive tests. But yes, you and everyone you are traveling with would be denied boarding. Due to them now being close contacts and now needing to be quarantined. Costs involved in this is the tricky bit. I don’t know how that will work.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cellfree said:

Bostwick girl, we are November 2 also, afraid to check my email fearing we are cancelled, one day at a time. 

On the COVID19 testing - many people test positive but are asymptomatic, would be a huge disappointment to hear that news at the port. 

Certainly disappointing to that cruiser if denied boarding when asymptomatic but positive.

Certainly reassuring for everyone else boarding that the positive tester who can infect others while asymptomatic is denied entry.

• Like 1

I have read "unofficial" protocols that specify a serum test at the port prior to entry. If a person fails, a PCR test is offered. If that fails the party is excluded. The ship will have temperature stations and random checks. Testing will also be available aboard. It does not say what type, but since a lab is necessary to perform PCR tests I assume only serum tests. There will be expanded medical facilities and capabilities on board. The protocols do not discuss financial details of who pays for the test or refunds for denied boarding.

1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

Thats a long time. Could have been exposed while awaiting test results. Then again a 3 or 4 day wait same issue. I Sure hope he came back Negative

Thankfully he did. He didn't have any symptoms, but 2 people in his office did have symptoms AND tested positive, so he got the test and self quarantined just to be safe.  This was back in March/April.  Thanks for asking!

baf

• Like 1

From reading this thread, there seems to be a real inconsistency for the time it takes for test results to come back.

And you would need more time if a positive result shows up for a follow up test to determine whether it is a true or false positive..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

From reading this thread, there seems to be a real inconsistency for the time it takes for test results to come back.

And you would need more time if a positive result shows up for a follow up test to determine whether it is a true or false positive..

That's why the cruise lines will have to contract with one or more labs directly to ensure that the cost is uniform and the results are received in a timely manner prior to the sailing. 

On 10/9/2020 at 12:44 PM, rjrice1 said:

Will the whole cabin be ask to leave?

Will they get reimbursed for this?

Are the islands going to let us dock?

We usually buy insurance for any reason to cancel.  

Taking it line by line:

• True, all passengers will need a test in order to board.  The particulars are in some doubt - test before embarkation or at the terminal?  PCR or antigen?  And who's responsible for the cost?
  • Might need a PCR test if tested at home; I can't see PCR tests for general use at the terminal - too slow
  • Probably
  • Probably
  • I hope so
  • Maybe.  Mexico has been pretty much open already.  It shouldn't take much persuasion to open the private islands.  The Bahamas is taking steps to reopen; they might be completely ready soon.
  • Insurance is a wise idea in these uncertain times
6 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Refunds for denied boarding? Do you expect the cruise lines to offer refunds if someone in the party tests positive and every one in the group is denied? 

I think they should.  The few thousand to be paid out in refunds is far, far less than the MILLIONS a canceled cruise would cost.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes indeed.  It's been a problem in the U.S. for a long time.  It will be a problem for the cruise lines if they make their customers take a test at home, before they embark.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don’t think anyone could pull off thousands of PCR tests prior to boarding. But they could do the rapid tests on everyone and PCR only on people who come back positive. They will have to have a contract with a lab to go to the front of the line. I don’t know how long a PCR test takes to process but I know it can be done in a matter of hours, it’s waiting for the lab to do it that takes time.

On 10/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, coevan said:

Impossible to do the PCR has the results take way to long. We are going to Jamaica in December and we have to be tested 2-10 days before arriving. A few badly infected states have stricter entry restrictions, like NY, Texas and Florida.

We had to test before going north for a funeral.  6 days for test results in the free drive up version.  That said, they could have another service with much faster turn arounds.  

14 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t think anyone could pull off thousands of PCR tests prior to boarding. But they could do the rapid tests on everyone and PCR only on people who come back positive. They will have to have a contract with a lab to go to the front of the line. I don’t know how long a PCR test takes to process but I know it can be done in a matter of hours, it’s waiting for the lab to do it that takes time.

That would work as well.  Not sure about the false positive rates on rapid tests.  I guess the combo of the two would be sufficient.

8 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Refunds for denied boarding? Do you expect the cruise lines to offer refunds if someone in the party tests positive and every one in the group is denied? 

It's my fervent hope the lines (particularly the mass market lines packing them in like a can of Vienna sausages) spend the first month or two enforcing all these health and safety requirements, refusing boarding, tossing passengers who flaunt those requirements, expecting the backlash from the "unbelievers" and deflecting it for the purpose of keeping cruising safe (and probably a lot more expensive) for passengers who board these floating petri dishes. Then passengers will know no one is messing around.

Some talk about the addition of medical services on board being enough. That only matters if the passengers take Covid precautions seriously throughout the voyage. It's not enough to think those beds are for all those "other" passengers who will get sick. Everyone is at risk, but too many don't believe that to be true of themselves, so they take the risks that put everyone else in harm's way.

Define packing them in for us.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fyree39 said:

It's my fervent hope the lines (particularly the mass market lines packing them in like a can of Vienna sausages) spend the first month or two enforcing all these health and safety requirements, refusing boarding, tossing passengers who flaunt those requirements, expecting the backlash from the "unbelievers" and deflecting it for the purpose of keeping cruising safe (and probably a lot more expensive) for passengers who board these floating petri dishes. Then passengers will know no one is messing around.

Some talk about the addition of medical services on board being enough. That only matters if the passengers take Covid precautions seriously throughout the voyage. It's not enough to think those beds are for all those "other" passengers who will get sick. Everyone is at risk, but too many don't believe that to be true of themselves, so they take the risks that put everyone else in harm's way.

I would be willing to bet that they will in fact offer credit for denied boarding, which seems more than fair.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would be willing to bet that they will in fact offer credit for denied boarding, which seems more than fair.

I hope you are correct with this bet.  The cruiselines can easily say it wasn't their fault the passenger tested positive (unless it was a false positive) and refuse to refund or credit the cost of the cruise.  That is a cabin they could have filled with someone else, so a loss of revenue.  In the future they may require all passengers to have travel insurance so they are not the "bad guys" when they deny boarding, but many travel insurance policies - even cancel for any reason ones - don't/won't cover covid, and if they do will cover 75% of trip cost, not the whole cost.