No Sail Order Lifted

ceilidh1

35 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

Reports from MSC pax have stated elevators and stairways are nightmares.  Only 4 people per elevator with waits up to 1 hr.  Stairways are just as bad as only 1 person allowed at a time with crew monitors on each landing.  These cruises were reported as reduced capacity.  Also MDR dinner;  you had to order before you even entered, service was extremely rushed.  No self serve at buffet only 2 pax per table who were traveling together.  This pax reported waiting over 90 mins to get a table for breakfast at buffet.

Does not sound like much of a fun cruise. Sounds more like a nightmare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Wondering how the cruise lines will deal with the elevator's  ?  Perhaps they found a way to have a light or mist that kills any virus  particles  on contact 

Shutdown of elevators except for those with a certified medical reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

There is no such virus. There is a novel corona virus also called covid -19  is that what you mean? The one that has taken almost a quarter of a million lives. 

The washington Post also is reporting on the resuming of cruising

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/10/30/cruise-covid-ban-lifted/

That started in Wuhan China. So it is the wuhan chinese virus no matter how much some try to deny it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renmar said:

Although I know the name “Wuhan Virus” my recollection is that it is only being used by a very small group of people. The more common name of Covid19 is well known.

Theo

Large number of people are calling it the Wuhan Virus including my brother and his girlfriend who have it.  Also both my son and daughter who perform testing in medical labs for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

Shutdown of elevators except for those with a certified medical reason.

Not everyone can climb all the stairs to get to the different decks, 4 to 15.  I can go down very very slow for a couple of decks but find it very hard going up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phabric said:

Not everyone can climb all the stairs to get to the different decks, 4 to 15.  I can go down very very slow for a couple of decks but find it very hard going up.

It is pretty hard for people with walkers to go up or down stairs.  And people in wheelchairs can be pushed down stairs, but that doesn't work upstairs.

Me, I'll wait for the vaccine!

15 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Large number of people are calling it the Wuhan Virus including my brother and his girlfriend who have it.  Also both my son and daughter who perform testing in medical labs for it.

It might be less inflammatory to call it by a scientific name.  I also know medical professionals who object to certain names being used.  

• Like 2

Seriously people.  There is a glimmer of hope that cruises can resume again sometime in the future before all the cruise lines go out of business and all anyone can do is pick apart all the reasons it might not work, all the doomsday scenarios and argue about the name of the virus.  I would think on a cruise forum where people come to talk about cruises and many go on several cruises because they enjoy them there would be someone who is a little happy about the news.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, spyro1952 said:

Reports from MSC pax have stated elevators and stairways are nightmares.  Only 4 people per elevator with waits up to 1 hr.  Stairways are just as bad as only 1 person allowed at a time with crew monitors on each landing.  These cruises were reported as reduced capacity.  Also MDR dinner;  you had to order before you even entered, service was extremely rushed.  No self serve at buffet only 2 pax per table who were traveling together.  This pax reported waiting over 90 mins to get a table for breakfast at buffet.

Wow, does that sound like a fun cruise. 

I'm assuming that people had to actually pay for that experience. 

Did they have to wear a mask all the time except between bites of food? 😅

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

On another note: Can't understand how anyone could think this is a hoax. Do they think no one has actually died? Even Trump got it for crying out loud and he lives in a protective bubble.

There are still people who think it is a hoax.  The father of one of my best friends was dying of covid in a Minnesota nursing home earlier this week.  She shared this information with a neighbor who immediately responded that 'he doesn't have covid; the doctors just say that to charge more money. Covid is a hoax."  My friend responded that the neighbor 1) had no idea of her dad's condition and had some nerve 'correcting' her and 2) she needed to get her news from a reliable source not fake Fox news.  The call soon ended.  Her dad died early Thursday morning from covid.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, caribill said:

thanks caribill!  
appreciate your help in defining the name. 

I have heard that Covid -19 came to the USA from Europe. Is that correct?

also, wondering how they will restrict/ enforce use of elevators to only those with mobility issues?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dog said:

thanks caribill!  
appreciate your help in defining the name. 

I have heard that Covid -19 came to the USA from Europe. Is that correct?

also, wondering how they will restrict/ enforce use of elevators to only those with mobility issues?

It depends. The first US case was in Seattle, a person that had just returned from Wuhan.

Most of the cases in NYC were traced as being the version that was hitting Italy heavily at the time  (looking at genetic markers) and it came to Italy from China.

Drinking alcohol is legal for people 'of age' in USA. Driving an automobile is legal in the USA. Drinking much AND driving is illegal in the USA. Why? Not because you put yourself at risk, but because you put OTHERS at risk. SCOTUS has agreed that government DOES have an overriding need to not allow 'liberties' that put OTHERS at risk. 

Now; about Covid. No one cares if you feel the need to ignore risks to yourself, or at least would not force you not to do so. BUT, if you put OTHERS at risk, government DOES have mandates; with precedent(!), to protect their populace for that risk. 

I cannot MAKE you give a crap about OTHERS, no matter how self-centered you are. Government CAN, and it is their job!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks for posting this! I had read about the 7 days or less requirement but then couldn't find it again. Didn't even think about looking on the CDC site - duh! The article I read (and can't find) stated 7 days or less until November 2021 but I'm not sure that was correct?

That would eliminate any Panama Canal or West Coast Hawaii cruises for a while.

6 hours ago, dog said:

Can you provide a link to your info? I want to keep up to date. 

Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes.  The official names are:

Disease 

coronavirus disease 
(COVID-19)

Virus 

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 
(SARS-CoV-2)

Why do the virus and the disease have different names? 

Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names.  For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS.  People often know the name of a disease, but not the name of the virus that causes it.

There are different processes, and purposes, for naming viruses and diseases.

Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).  

Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread, transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on 11 February 2020.  This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003.  While related, the two viruses are different.   

WHO announced “COVID-19” as the name of this new disease on 11 February 2020, following guidelines previously developed with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, generichandle said:

Drinking alcohol is legal for people 'of age' in USA. Driving an automobile is legal in the USA. Drinking much AND driving is illegal in the USA. Why? Not because you put yourself at risk, but because you put OTHERS at risk. SCOTUS has agreed that government DOES have an overriding need to not allow 'liberties' that put OTHERS at risk. 

Now; about Covid. No one cares if you feel the need to ignore risks to yourself, or at least would not force you not to do so. BUT, if you put OTHERS at risk, government DOES have mandates; with precedent(!), to protect their populace for that risk. 

I cannot MAKE you give a crap about OTHERS, no matter how self-centered you are. Government CAN, and it is their job!

Thank You.

In a nutshell, "for the common good".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, generichandle said:

I have appreciated the government leadership we have in Canada, specifically in Ontario with regards to controlling the spread of Covid-19. 

2 hours ago, caribill said:

That would eliminate any Panama Canal or West Coast Hawaii cruises for a while.

And transatlantic sailings would need to be modified as well, such as the 14 night Enchanted on May 8 would need to be reduced to a 7 day from Fort Lauderdale to Rome, correct?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

And transatlantic sailings would need to be modified as well, such as the 14 night Enchanted on May 8 would need to be reduced to a 7 day from Fort Lauderdale to Rome, correct?

At this point I would assume by then safe cruising will have been demonstrated and the 7 day limit will be lifted.

To me a problem is that the CDC rules say a cruise longer than 7 days from/to the USA can't even be sold at this time.

• Like 1