90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

2 minutes ago, travelhound said:

My family will also be first in line 😀

My parents are 94 and 102, they arent sure, every time they get out is worrisome. My dad left the house one time since last march, my mom twice. .. twice if you count me driving her thru drive thru at her bank.

But we will get it at some pt. I want it now to get in 2 shots before cruise in april. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Absolutely, it's called capitalism 😀

And it's not just in the U.S.

"

What has the UK ordered?

The UK government has agreed deals for 340 million doses of vaccine from six companies:

• Adenovirus vaccines—100 million doses being developed by Oxford University through AstraZeneca (with as many as 30 million doses available by September) and 30 million doses from Janssen

• mRNA vaccines—30 million doses from BioNTech/Pfizer

• Protein adjuvant vaccine—60 million doses from GSK/Sanofi Pasteur and 60 million doses from Novavax

• Whole inactivated virus vaccine—60 million doses from Valneva, with an option to acquire a further 40 million doses if the vaccine proves safe and effective.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

My parents are 94 and 102, they arent sure, every time they get out is worrisome. My dad left the house one time since last march, my mom twice. .. twice if you count me driving her thru drive thru at her bank.

But we will get it at some pt. I want it now to get in 2 shots before cruise in april. 

I have a cruise in March.  I'm not sure if my family will be able to get the vaccine before that cruise, but it flattens the fear and ultimately it makes my cruise more likely to sail as planned 😀 

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And it's not just in the U.S.

"

What has the UK ordered?

The UK government has agreed deals for 340 million doses of vaccine from six companies:

• Adenovirus vaccines—100 million doses being developed by Oxford University through AstraZeneca (with as many as 30 million doses available by September) and 30 million doses from Janssen

• mRNA vaccines—30 million doses from BioNTech/Pfizer

• Protein adjuvant vaccine—60 million doses from GSK/Sanofi Pasteur and 60 million doses from Novavax

• Whole inactivated virus vaccine—60 million doses from Valneva, with an option to acquire a further 40 million doses if the vaccine proves safe and effective.

Good point, there will likely be multiple vaccines distributed next year, by many different companies.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

From their press release:

"Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021"

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

But we don't know what percentage is for the US and what percentage for the rest of the world. 

And isn't this a two dose vaccine?  So 650M doses available in '21 WORLDWIDE?  There's 7.5 billion people world wide.  That would be less than 9% of people in the WORLD would have the vaccine by the end of 2021.  If if the 1.3B count includes both doses, you're then looking at ~17% of people vaccinated.  

And how long does the vaccination last?  A year?  6 months? 

I'm all for hoping this works out.  But thinking this "magic bullet" will immediately end the virus is nothing more than wishful thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, the FDA would not influence me

Ok.  Im not sure what will but some of us would rather take the chance.  Its better then living in fear.  I respect your decision but me personally, with family members that are severely depressed and suicidal, this is a better option for them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And isn't this a two dose vaccine?  So 650M doses available in '21 WORLDWIDE?  There's 7.5 billion people world wide.  That would be less than 9% of people in the WORLD would have the vaccine by the end of 2021.  If if the 1.3B count includes both doses, you're then looking at ~17% of people vaccinated.  

And how long does the vaccination last?  A year?  6 months? 

I'm all for hoping this works out.  But thinking this "magic bullet" will immediately end the virus is nothing more than wishful thinking. 

The good thing is that there are many pharmaceutical companies worldwide working on developing vaccines and some of them are in the final phases and show promise. 

• Like 1

Just now, jean87510 said:

It wouldn't matter anyway apparently.

No it wouldn't since people waited hours in line to vote the week before, plus all of the mail in votes. When I went to vote on election day I walked in and out no line at all. So glad I waited.

• Like 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

No it wouldn't since people waited hours in line to vote the week before, plus all of the mail in votes. When I went to vote on election day I walked in and out no line at all. So glad I waited.

I didn't mention election...shhh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wolfcathorse said:

This is wonderful news! For once I'm so happy to 1. Own Pfizer stock, 2. Be over 65, 3. Be Obese, 4. Have Asthma, 5. Have Hypertension, 6. Have Diabetes...step aside folks! I'm third in line behind the health care workers and essential employees!

You are not obese!  😮

Also, there are quite a few people out there, even on cruise critic who simply will not take the vaccine now.  There are a lot of people who refuse the flu vaccine.  There are even more who won't get their kids vaccinated.  I dont think there will be quite as many people demanding it.  Didn't the Governor of CA say his state wouldn't be allowed?

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Pfizer has researched and has developed a complete nationwide infrastructure for the extreme low temperatures required, from manufacture to the actual shot in the arm... 

They have all transport, storage and local delivery problems solved. Amazing that this was all being done over the last months.

I've been wondering about this. I can not imagine the vaccine going into the arm at that low temperature. The tissue it is being injected into would be damaged. Anyone have any comment about this?

16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Ok.  Im not sure what will but some of us would rather take the chance.  Its better then living in fear.  I respect your decision but me personally, with family members that are severely depressed and suicidal, this is a better option for them.

What will influence me is longer term independently analyzed data; this is what has guided me my entire career. 

This is what makes America great. Everyone can make their own decisions. Good luck, God bless. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I've been wondering about this. I can not imagine the vaccine going into the arm at that low temperature. The tissue it is being injected into would be damaged. Anyone have any comment about this?

No different than a significant number of medications that have to be kept frozen until they are administered. They are thawed out just prior to injection. I believe that the flu vaccines currently in use also need to be kept frozen. 

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Didn't the Governor of CA say his state wouldn't be allowed?

No. The governor said it will be reviewed by an independent panel for efficacy and safety before it will be approved for use here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Let’s all take a deep breath. The 90% number quoted was measured at 28 days post injection. 

So I can get the shot(s) and continue with what I am doing now for 28 days - insignificant after 8 months of this crap.

Just now, Coralc said:

No. The governor said it will be reviewed by an independent panel for efficacy and safety before it will be approved for use here. 

That just makes more of the vaccines available for the rest of us😷

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, mek said:

So I can get the shot(s) and continue with what I am doing now for 28 days - insignificant after 8 months of this crap.

Just had an expert on CNBC a few minutes ago that was predicting more in the range of 1-2 years of protection.

29 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Vaccines need tohave stability in temperature to be safe and maintain potency,  Excessive heat can alter the protein structure and/or chemical stability of a vaccine and result in loss of potency. Freezing vaccines also causes loss of immunization characteristics.   HiNi Flu vaccines were kept between 35 and 45 degrees.  But the CV-19 vaccines need to kept between -4 and -94 degrees.  That's going to be hard to maintain in distribution and storage.  Not sure how long these will stay cold before becoming "bad", but in tests so far, no ill effects on tissue has been detected.

• Thanks 1