Carnival cancels all cruises over 7 days will Royal follow?

sharpasice

So I read this morning that Carnival has canceled all cruises over 7 days through Oct 2021.  Do you think Royal will follow?  CDC says nothing over 7 days or anything port intensive. Mine is both. I have one now booked on Radiance (was changed by Royal from Explorer) for 9 nights in November 2021.  I really thought we'd be safe on the COVID front by that time.  Now I'm worried.  

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me.  I have two booked on Royal next year and both are 7 days.  I highly doubt my April cruise happens.  I hope we get to go!

ETA - it is the CDC that said no cruises over 7 nights until Oct of 2021 but that can be amended at any time before that date.

Edited by Icesk8rReedy

When you read it, it says the following:

"For the time being, we have closed for sale any 8-day or longer cruises from the U.S. We have not taken any other action on these cruises, and will update guests and travel agents once we make decisions about these itineraries.”

I read that to mean that they have closed those sailings for any new bookings while they sort out if they will shorten them or cancel.  Nowhere do I see that they have already canceled longer sailings.  

• Like 4

The CDC CSO reads as follows:

• (2) The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

That raises the question... if the cruise line offers or markets an itinerary longer than 7 days will the CDC consider that a violation of the CSO?

By advertising and allowing passengers to book a cruise longer than 7 days does that constitute an "offer to sail" that is in violation of the CSO if it is before Nov. 2021 when the CSO expires?

Edited by twangster

7 minutes ago, rockmom said:

When you read it, it says the following:

"For the time being, we have closed for sale any 8-day or longer cruises from the U.S. We have not taken any other action on these cruises, and will update guests and travel agents once we make decisions about these itineraries.”

I read that to mean that they have closed those sailings for any new bookings while they sort out if they will shorten them or cancel.  Nowhere do I see that they have already canceled longer sailings.  

You're right.  I guess I just panicked. However, when reading the CDC requirements a few days ago I DO remember seeing that they didn't want any cruises over 7 days.  I thought at that time, ok, but our cruise is in November don't think it will affect us.  But seeing this, this morning sure does make me wonder. Thank you for pointing that out. 

Edited by sharpasice
  • Like 1

I hope not I'm booked with RCI for Oct 14, 2021 Canada/NE 9 nights...and I got such an amazing deal and cabin category.

And still keeping my fingers crossed for my Celebrity July 30, 2021 British Isles 12 nights out of Amsterdam...another great deal and cabin location/category.

1 hour ago, sharpasice said:

So I read this morning that Carnival has canceled all cruises over 7 days through Oct 2021.  Do you think Royal will follow?  CDC says nothing over 7 days or anything port intensive. Mine is both. I have one now booked on Radiance (was changed by Royal from Explorer) for 9 nights in November 2021.  I really thought we'd be safe on the COVID front by that time.  Now I'm worried.  

Just to be clear I just read a 3rd thread on carnival asking when is carnival going to cancel 8 day cruises. 

And someone posted the same link which says .... carnival removed some from their site.

Pulled them from the site is not the same as contacting cruisers and saying your cruise is cancelled, here are your options. 

Note the word .... REMOVED ... 

20201110_141346604.jpeg

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Which ships and when?  Thanks in advance.  

Well,everything was turned upside down with the the moving of Quantum to Brisbane.

There a few Ovation cruises to NZ got the chop and replaced with 2 short coastal cruises each out of sydney.

We are booked on a 12 night around NZ (6 Dec) and I’m expecting that to be canceled.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

• (2) The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

That raises the question... if the cruise line offers or markets an itinerary longer than 7 days will the CDC consider that a violation of the CSO?

By advertising and allowing passengers to book a cruise longer than 7 days does that constitute an "offer to sail" that is in violation of the CSO if it is before Nov. 2021 when the CSO expires?

This makes sense. Thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, twangster said:

A very good question.

Carnival actually didn't "cancel" cruises more than 7 days....they just stopped selling them through Oct 2021...."It is worth noting that these voyages, while closed for new bookings, are not cancelled at this time. Existing reservations on these longer itineraries remain valid at this point.

I have a 9 nighter on Freedom for mid-Sept to Canada.     I suspect they could modify / shorten the sailing by losing 1 port and 1 sea day.     We'll see!   Maybe the CDC will allow 8 or 9 nighters if we have a vaccine and all is going well with cruise lines.    It is far too early for anyone to know what will be happening next fall.     

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have a 9 nighter on Freedom for mid-Sept to Canada.     I suspect they could modify / shorten the sailing by losing 1 port and 1 sea day.     We'll see!   Maybe the CDC will allow 8 or 9 nighters if we have a vaccine and all is going well with cruise lines.    It is far too early for anyone to know what will be happening next fall.     

I'm wondering about Freedom in the fall as well, but I'm on the 5 nighter to Bermuda in mid-October that alternates with those 9 nights to Canada and hoping it goes AND is within the same week since it's tied to some other things that I can't change.  

19 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I'm wondering about Freedom in the fall as well, but I'm on the 5 nighter to Bermuda in mid-October that alternates with those 9 nights to Canada and hoping it goes AND is within the same week since it's tied to some other things that I can't change.  

I am also booked on a b2b Bermuda 5 nighter on Freedom and have no idea if they will be allowed by next fall either.   completely out of my control so I just let it ride until we hear officially.