New regulation for cruise ships

leerobbs

3 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

My understanding has been that the doctor onboard is not necessarily a physician. In some instances I've heard that a dentist or other medical "professional" was the medical officer. Would be interesting to know for sure.

I have never heard of this. Every medical officer that I have met on the ships was a physician.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

My understanding has been that the doctor onboard is not necessarily a physician. In some instances I've heard that a dentist or other medical "professional" was the medical officer. Would be interesting to know for sure.

That is definitely not true for Royal Caribbean ships.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/medical-services-onboard-regulations

14 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

I've sailed with a DDS and a Veterinarian  ... but they sure weren't in charge  :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have never heard of this. Every medical officer that I have met on the ships was a physician.

All that I have seen when I have visited the medical center on more than one ship has been a physician.  I have been very happy with the care I have received.  I found the job requirements to work on board.

http://royalcareersatsea.com/pages/medical

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Even the Love Boat had a doctor back in the 70's. Must have been due to the new regulation.

Although I think he like to "play doctor" more than actually practice being a doctor, if you catch my drift. 😉😇

• Like 2

17 hours ago, leerobbs said:

It looks like a Medical Doctor will be required  onboard cruise ships going forward!  

I just saw that Congress or someone is considering passing new laws for cruise ships.

Also they said security cameras in all public places. Not sure cameras cover every inch of public now? Anyway, new bill being considered. Doctor was just one thing. I've never been on a ship without a doctor, not sure who all this bill covers.

Most cruise lines including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Disney and others --  require cruise ship doctors and nurses to have valid licenses to practice, along with certifications in both cardiac and basic life support, and the ability to speak fluent English.

Always one doctor and nurses on call 24/7 and some of the larger ships have more than one doctor and more nurses. 

Doctors must also have a minimum of three years' postgraduate experience and/or certification in emergency medicine, family practice, internal medicine or similar areas. Nurses need at least three years' (five years' for some lines) postgraduate experience in emergency rooms, the intensive care unit or acute care.

• Like 2

The IMO requires a medical doctor on all ships carrying more than 100 people (pax and crew), and engaged in international voyages of more than 3 days.

I'm not sure that there is actually jurisdiction for these requirements on foreign flag cruise ships.  The IMO allows "port states" to enforce the international conventions (SOLAS, MARPOL, MLC, etc) that the port state is signatory to, on any ship in their waters.  It also allows member nations to pass stricter requirements, but those can only apply to vessels of that nation's flag.  While the US has claimed "extra-territorial" jurisdiction over crimes against US citizens, in international waters, this does not extend to jurisdiction over all crimes, or in another nation's waters.  So, I have my doubts that this would be found legal under maritime law.  Especially the part where the Secretary of Transportation decides how many medical personnel are required for each size ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1