Poll: If Royal Doesn’t Require A COVID-19 Vaccine For Its Passengers, Would You Still Cruise with RCI???

atgood

Poll: If Royal Doesn’t Require A COVID-19 Vaccine For Its Passengers, Would You Still Cruise with RCI???  

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise on a Royal ship even if RCI doesn’t require the passengers to have received the COVID-19 vaccine?

• Sign me up, I already received the vaccine or plan on getting it before I go on a cruise so I’m not concerned if it’s not required for others.
    • Sign me up. I do not have immediate plans to get the vaccine. I would provide a negative viral test result or documentation of recovery prior to boarding, if required, and follow RCI’s requirements for social distancing, washing hands, and wearing a mask when social distancing wasn’t possible.
    • I would not go on a cruise with unvaccinated passengers. I have received the vaccine already or plan on getting it before I go on a cruise.
    • I do not plan on cruising with RCI in the foreseeable future regardless of the vaccination requirements.

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So once the vaccines are available to all who want them do you propose that the vaccinated  continue wearing masks and distancing to protect those who refuse vaccination?

This is also the reason many are advocating for 100% vaccinated sailings. Everyone had protection which should alleviate the need for masks and distancing.

Yes, to your bottom paragraph.    Also,  ports of call may be more likely to welcome cruise ships with vaccinated passengers.  

Edited by BSocial
  • Like 3

I voted #1 because if I need a vaccine to return to "normal" then I will take it. #2 implies restrictions which I am not interested in. I'm not eligible for the vaccine at this time so don't have to make a decision yet and am not inclined to rush ahead of others more anxious (in my group - when it's available) while there are no changes to restrictions. 

If we can infect others even after the vaccine, then those not vaccinated have to make their own risk decisions for themselves. Cruising is not essential so I do not feel obligated to worry about them deciding to take a risk. Of course, this is based on the assumption that cruise lines will vaccinate any  staff that wants it and access to ports and ship quarantine are not a factor (big assumptions I know but those would be my criteria).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Voted for 100% vaccination.

Having been on a sailing that did NOT have a COVID outbreak but was banned from 6 different ports including the disembarkation port because of countries fear of COVID. 

If there are unvaccinated onboard, there is the chance of an outbreak, even if it does not likely affect me.  And that means a completely restructured sailing, possible evacuations, rerouting, etc., in which I have no interest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If the plans for Odyssey's sailings out of Israel are any indication if how things will open in North America vaccines would be required.

But......from the recent RCL press release and the video that Richard Fein made regarding these sailings out of Israel, it sounds to me like children under 16 will be allowed on board. IMHO, that defeats the purpose of having all crew and passengers over the age of 16 be vaccinated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

But......from the recent RCL press release and the video that Richard Fein made regarding these sailings out of Israel, it sounds to me like children under 16 will be allowed on board. IMHO, that defeats the purpose of having all crew and passengers over the age of 16 be vaccinated.

Well, I got the opposite impression. I surmise minimum age for boarding will be the minimum age that can be vaccinated. I guess we will have to wait and see. However, If that is what ports of call will require in order to open up to ships you can bet everyone in the ship will be vaccinated.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, yogimax said:

Even fully vaccinated persons can transmit the disease to others.  

I don't believe this is the case, I read they are not sure and more test are needed

BTW I have had both doses so has DW neither had reactions.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

We will NOT get the vaccine. So if they let UNvaccinated passengers on the ship, we should be there. Unless we have to wear a mask still, then it's a big NO. We wont be wasting our money to walk around a ship with a mask on. Just our preference, carry on.....

I don't think you'll be cruising anytime soon then. No vaccine, no mask,  is most likely going to be no cruise ship too. For at least a long while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kidless said:

When I am eligible for the vaccine I will take it. We will cruise even if not mandatory. People have the right to decide for themselves and weigh the risks. 

I so agree. The right to decide is very important. My only concern is that those that do not get a vaccine can get on a ship and get the disease, and evdentualy get severly sick and/or even die. This then ruins everyone else's cruise vacation thus wasting monies and time. Dropping $8-10K on a vacation that can be spolied because others choose not to protect themselves or the cruiseline will make me re-consider my vacation. I also have to believe that a business no matter how large or small has the right to make their decisions as well and weigh their risks for doing so or for not doing so. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kidless said:

When I am eligible for the vaccine I will take it. We will cruise even if not mandatory. People have the right to decide for themselves and weigh the risks. 

Let me ask you....if a group of 6 adults get on the ship and they are unvaccinated and 2 days into a 7 night cruise 1 or 2 people of this group feel sick and test positive.  Will you be okay with quarantining in your cabin because you were near that group at the pool or restaurant?  Will you be okay if rcl has to return to port to get them medical help and cancels the remainder of your cruise.

I know I would be very upset if that happened while on our vacation.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So once the vaccines are available to all who want them do you propose that the vaccinated  continue wearing masks and distancing to protect those who refuse vaccination?

Once vaccines are available for all, and everyone who wants one has had one, I hope we will see low enough COVID numbers that masks will be personal preference.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Let me ask you....if a group of 6 adults get on the ship and they are unvaccinated and 2 days into a 7 night cruise 1 or 2 people of this group feel sick and test positive.  Will you be okay with quarantining in your cabin because you were near that group at the pool or restaurant?  Will you be okay if rcl has to return to port to get them medical help and cancels the remainder of your cruise.

I know I would be very upset if that happened while on our vacation.  

All good points.  I hope it gets to the point to where the proper diagnosis and treatment is perfected and it’s more of an annoyance.  

In the 15 cases I personally know about, approximately 1/2 were asymptomatic.  I do wonder about the validity of the test results for them.  The next 6 or 7 had minor to mild symptoms and were told to self isolate at home and didn’t receive any meds.  The last one had mild symptoms at first, was treated at home with a Z-PAK, and ended up in the hospital on oxygen a few days later.  She recovered after 4 days in the hospital.  I distantly know of a few people who have died because of CV, but I don’t know the details behind their situation. 

So from my experience, I often do wonder about what is being reported.  Is it accurate?  Is an agenda being pushed?  Could the deaths have been prevented?  What role did any underlying conditions play?  

It’s about numbers.  I would think RCI probably estimated a certain number of cruises would have minor deviations during the year (pre-CV) due to medical situations.  I would think they’ll sail when they estimate they can get back to that percentage.  Having to deviate or cancel 3 out of 4, or even 1 out 4 cruises mid-cruise probably isn’t going to work. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Seems that RCG have decided that a vaccination is necessary. 
Odyssey now moved to Haifa, Israel, for vaccinated Israelis over 16 and crew.

Thanks.  Admittedly, it’s moving that way.  However, Richard Fain made a video yesterday where he said they haven’t decided yet.  RCI will soon have a second ship sailing.  One where the vaccine is required and one where it isn’t.  Granted it’s an extremely simplified comparison, but RCI will be able to gain a lot of real world data in any differences between the two ships in avoiding COVID-19 to make better decisions for when other ships start to sail. 

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Seems that RCG have decided that a vaccination is necessary. 
Odyssey now moved to Haifa, Israel, for vaccinated Israelis over 16 and crew.

I wasn't clear - does this  mean no one under 16 is onboard, or those 16 and under do not need to be vaccinated?

23 minutes ago, atgood said:

Thanks.  Admittedly, it’s moving that way.  However, Richard Fain made a video yesterday where he said they haven’t decided yet.  RCI will soon have a second ship sailing.  One where the vaccine is required and one where it isn’t.  Granted it’s an extremely simplified comparison, but RCI will be able to gain a lot of real world data in any differences between the two ships in avoiding COVID-19 to make better decisions for when other ships start to sail. 

I think the Israeli model will be much more applicable to North American sailing than the Singapore model. The U.S. will never have the control over its population's behaviors that Singapore has. Vaccinations for all on a ship is a more achievable goal. And cruises to nowhere, even if they were legal, won't appeal to many people for very long.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Voted for 100% vaccination

If there are unvaccinated onboard, there is the chance of an outbreak, even if it does not likely affect me.  And that means a completely restructured sailing, possible evacuations, rerouting, etc., in which I have no interest.

Perfect summation of my feeling as well 😁

5 hours ago, atgood said:

Not sure one or two sailings will provide much accurate information.  There are too many variables ranging from the ages of the passengers to their underlying health conditions.  

Here in America, we have a me-first attitude when it come to the vaccines.   What we often fail to realize, however, that we can not return to "normalcy" as a country until the rest of the world also returns to normalcy.

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not sure one or two sailings will provide much accurate information.  There are too many variables ranging from the ages of the passengers to their underlying health conditions.  

Here in America, we have a me-first attitude when it come to the vaccines.   What we often fail to realize, however, that we can not return to "normalcy" as a country until the rest of the world also returns to normalcy.

Two different ships sailing in different regions has to have some value as far as figuring out how cruises will resume in other places.  I’m sorry, but I disagree with the thinking not much accurate info will be gained. 

Regarding returning to normalcy, we all have a window to the world and we’ll just have to see what happens I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, atgood said:

Two different ships sailing in different regions has to have some value as far as figuring out how cruises will resume in other places.  I’m sorry, but I disagree with the thinking not much accurate info will be gained. 

Regarding returning to normalcy, we all have a window to the world and we’ll just have to see what happens I guess. 

Singapore has community spread cases in the double digits, not the thousands. 

9 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Singapore has community spread cases in the double digits, not the thousands. 

Hasn’t there been a positive case or two and false positive ones also on the Quantum?  I haven’t been following all that closely.