Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

I have May, June, Sept, Dec 2022 cruises booked.  I have been able to do somethings on MedallionClass app on my Apple Ipad, my phone is not compatible.  

When I log in with my Princess log in under Personal Information I only have 4 sections. If, I log in with my cabin mate information under Personal Information, both of us have all sections.  Last week, I was able to book DMW for 6 for the 14 days for a table for 6, today the whole DMW book has disappeared.

Since I am Canadian and have to pick up the medallion at the dock, I will do what I can do and let Princess staff complete what I can not do.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

OK I have been reading all this and I need to verify something.  I am one of those people who get bashed for still having an old flip phone.  That is OK.  I have my reasons which are part financial and part the fact that my family live in rural areas of TN and calls from them cell phone to cell phone are terrible but their cell phones to my land line are clear as a bell.  Anyway, my carrier is Verizon and I just got notified that they are doing away with my very very old plan and switching me to a new one.  No problem.  However, they also notified me that they will no longer be supporting 3G.  I don't know if my old phone will do 4G.  Need to find that out.  But I have been looking at phones and I am so far considering the IPhone SE with ios 13 or 14.6.  Am I right in thinking it will support the Princess app as far as it is now working?  My cruise is not until Feb. 27, 2022 but I would like to get anything I can do in the system as soon as possible.  Especially boarding time as soon as possible as that is my main concern.  I like to get on the ship early.  As far as dining, my son and I go with the flow mostly.  Thank you for any help from you tech smart people.  I am the one on another thread that tried the Android Emulators on my PC to no avail.

3 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Apple is currently on iOS 14.6. I don’t know what earlier iOS version the medallion app supports but it “may” be part of your problem.  

We updated the ipad mini in June to OS: 12.5.4. We are on auto updates. so we are up to date on our mini. Ther medallion class app says it is compatible with10.0 and up.

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have an iPad iOS 14.6 and it’s working perfectly with the app.  What you see when you open the app in your device is nothing like I’ve seen since installing the app last month.  When I opened the app initially after installing,  I got a fuzzy pic of a ship and then asking for booking number.  Once I put in our booking number, everything was available to add our information, documents, photos, preferences, etc.  
I have heard that Princess will have extra staff at the cruise terminal on embarkation day for those who were unable to use the app and want to check in the traditional way.  No need to cancel you cruise, it just might take a little longer to get onboard.  I was ready to pack it in, too, but decided to persevere and it all fell into place.  I think your iPad may be your problem, but not sure.  Lots of people in your shoes and Princess knows it and will work with you.  Good luck!

I got the fuzzy pic of a ship when it first opened. No request for booking number.

59 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

OK I have been reading all this and I need to verify something.  I am one of those people who get bashed for still having an old flip phone.  That is OK.  I have my reasons which are part financial and part the fact that my family live in rural areas of TN and calls from them cell phone to cell phone are terrible but their cell phones to my land line are clear as a bell.  Anyway, my carrier is Verizon and I just got notified that they are doing away with my very very old plan and switching me to a new one.  No problem.  However, they also notified me that they will no longer be supporting 3G.  I don't know if my old phone will do 4G.  Need to find that out.  But I have been looking at phones and I am so far considering the IPhone SE with ios 13 or 14.6.  Am I right in thinking it will support the Princess app as far as it is now working?  My cruise is not until Feb. 27, 2022 but I would like to get anything I can do in the system as soon as possible.  Especially boarding time as soon as possible as that is my main concern.  I like to get on the ship early.  As far as dining, my son and I go with the flow mostly.  Thank you for any help from you tech smart people.  I am the one on another thread that tried the Android Emulators on my PC to no avail.

The iphone SE will work with the medallion class app

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

There is no one answer some of us with iPhone 7 can get it to work.  Others with iPhone 12 cannot. All are on the current IOS and current app. Go figure

With 1300+ posts in this thread, I'm kind of thinking the subject:

"Medallion App Updated and Working Now" is...

...more hopeful than factual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts regarding my consideration of the IPhone SE.  Much appreciated.   I understand it is a crap shoot but wanted the opinions of those that know much more than I do about this stuff.  Computers here I'm great but this smart device stuff a complete novice.

6 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts regarding my consideration of the IPhone SE.  Much appreciated.   I understand it is a crap shoot but wanted the opinions of those that know much more than I do about this stuff.  Computers here I'm great but this smart device stuff a complete novice.

I just upgraded to the  Iphone SE, my old phone would not work with the app.

So far have no complaints about the SE, Medallion class App works fine (still cant get a table for 2 in DMW but that's a whole other story ! )

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Sorry for the not so nice news to people who own older iphones, ipads, or othere smart device

And for those who have newer iphones, ipads, or smart devices, remember in a couple of years you will then own older iphones, ipads, or smart devices.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is incomprehensible to me that any business would be actively turning away the bulk of the population unless they purchase the latest (and most expensive) digital devices just to purchase their product.  Sometimes we, on Cruise Critic think that we represent the totality of the cruising population but we aren't.   Think about how many people are in attendance at a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet compared to how many passengers are actually aboard a particular cruise.  How many special interest groups may decide to have their annual meetings aboard a cruise ship, or the people who purchase the one cruise as a bucket list celebration of a life event (special birthday, retirement, anniversary, etc...)? These people are not going to go out and spend the extra money for a new state of the art digital device just to register for one cruise.  If Princess continues to go down this path, they will be turning away a large percentage of people planning their first cruise or organizations from special interest groups.  Those potential customers will take the path of least resistance and book with a more user friendly cruise company.  Whoever at Princess is foisting this new technology on the customers needs to be taken to the woodshed, (or to the train station with a one way ticket...)  JMHO.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It is incomprehensible to me that any business would be actively turning away the bulk of the population unless they purchase the latest (and most expensive) digital devices just to purchase their product.  Sometimes we, on Cruise Critic think that we represent the totality of the cruising population but we aren't.   Think about how many people are in attendance at a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet compared to how many passengers are actually aboard a particular cruise.  How many special interest groups may decide to have their annual meetings aboard a cruise ship, or the people who purchase the one cruise as a bucket list celebration of a life event (special birthday, retirement, anniversary, etc...)? These people are not going to go out and spend the extra money for a new state of the art digital device just to register for one cruise.  If Princess continues to go down this path, they will be turning away a large percentage of people planning their first cruise or organizations from special interest groups.  Those potential customers will take the path of least resistance and book with a more user friendly cruise company.  Whoever at Princess is foisting this new technology on the customers needs to be taken to the woodshed, (or to the train station with a one way ticket...)  JMHO.

Number of smart phone users world wide

https://www.statista.com/statistics/330695/number-of-smartphone-users-worldwide/

Number of smart phone users US

https://www.statista.com/statistics/201182/forecast-of-smartphone-users-in-the-us/

8 minutes ago, billco said:

That may well be accurate but those numbers do not represent the millions of people expected to throw away their current phone each year so they can purchase a new more expensive model just to purchase a cruise.  My point wasn't how many have a smartphone, the point was how many people will want to add the purchase price of a new phone to the cost of the cruise.  They'll go to the cruise line that doesn't require a new phone.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

That may well be accurate but those numbers do not represent the millions of people expected to throw away their current phone each year so they can purchase a new more expensive model just to purchase a cruise.  My point wasn't how many have a smartphone, the point was how many people will want to add the purchase price of a new phone to the cost of the cruise.  They'll go to the cruise line that doesn't require a new phone.

Princess is making the fallacy of assuming that the behavior of some is the behavior of all. That some people will buy the latest and greatest smart phone does not mean that all are willing to do so and a business decision that assumes all will is likely to not get the expected results.

• Like 4

I'm following along on this thread, in the same "boat" as Davidsnana.  My cruise(s) are in April 2022, have an older flip phone from Trac.  I use my laptop quite well but haven't felt a need to get a different phone.  I'm in my 70's, retired, rarely use my cell phone.  Single, no kids, small family, 2 sisters, no need to be on the phone, yes, I do use Facebook.  I will check into the Iphone SE.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I'm following along on this thread, in the same "boat" as Davidsnana.  My cruise(s) are in April 2022, have an older flip phone from Trac.  I use my laptop quite well but haven't felt a need to get a different phone.  I'm in my 70's, retired, rarely use my cell phone.  Single, no kids, small family, 2 sisters, no need to be on the phone, yes, I do use Facebook.  I will check into the Iphone SE.

Princess will have customer service reps at the port to help you and other passengers who have not completed their cruise documentation on a smart device.  No worries.  Not everyone owns a smartphone like yourself; and Princess knows that; hence the extra customer service reps at the port to help you.  Have a great weekend.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Princess will have customer service reps at the port to help you and other passengers who have not completed their cruise documentation on a smart device.  No worries.  Not everyone owns a smartphone like yourself; and Princess knows that; hence the extra customer service reps at the port to help you.  Have a great weekend.

How do those people pick dining times or choose bed configurations?  Do they get the dregs of dining times after those who went the new smartphone route got all of the best dining times?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

One doesn't need the latest smart phone to use the Medallion App. There are many supported smart devices tha that are much cheaper than the latest smart phone. The Medallion App can work on devices that are several years old.

Princess has been working toward a market for several years. It is called the Medallion Class market. It is my opinion that Princess knows what they are doing. 

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Apple is currently on iOS 14.6. I don’t know what earlier iOS version the medallion app supports but it “may” be part of your problem.  

18 hours ago, AF-1 said:

For those who own the original IPad mini 2,  you can't update to  Apple's new software; thus the ocean medallion app will not work on this device. Apple Ipad Mini4 and above will allow you to update to the 14.6 software.  This is how Apple keeps you buying or should I say force you to buy the latest devices.  They will only support their older products four years past their release date.  After that you won't be able to update to the new software.  But Apple demands all the app users; in this case Princess Cruise line;  to update their apps so they will work on the latest Apple software.  It's a little complicated if you don't spend a lot of time with smart devices or computers.  Sorry for the not so nice news to people who own older iphones, ipads, or othere smart device

16 hours ago, Dave from Ont said:

We updated the ipad mini in June to OS: 12.5.4. We are on auto updates. so we are up to date on our mini. Ther medallion class app says it is compatible with10.0 and up.

14 hours ago, 3JCruiser said:

I just upgraded to the  Iphone SE, my old phone would not work with the app.

So far have no complaints about the SE, Medallion class App works fine (still cant get a table for 2 in DMW but that's a whole other story ! )

10 minutes ago, billco said:

One doesn't need the latest smart phone to use the Medallion App. There are many supported smart devices tha that are much cheaper than the latest smart phone. The Medallion App can work on devices that are several years old.

Princess has been working toward a market for several years. It is called the Medallion Class market. It is my opinion that Princess knows what they are doing. 

My posts are in response to the above posts.  Not everybody owns a very recent device because the current device they have meets their needs.  Requiring use of a smart device at all is the problem.  If Princess really knew what they are doing then why did they take access to all of these things out of the web based Cruise Personalizer?  I won't carry a full sized tablet with me everywhere I go on a cruise ship.  I don't want to need to have a smart device with me at the dinner table.  I really don't want to be at a dinner table with everybody's nose stuck into their phone or tablet instead of having pleasant conversation.  Maybe that makes me a Luddite, but I'm ok with that too.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

My posts are in response to the above posts.  Not everybody owns a very recent device because the current device they have meets their needs.  Requiring use of a smart device at all is the problem.  If Princess really knew what they are doing then why did they take access to all of these things out of the web based Cruise Personalizer?  I won't carry a full sized tablet with me everywhere I go on a cruise ship.  I don't want to need to have a smart device with me at the dinner table.  I really don't want to be at a dinner table with everybody's nose stuck into their phone or tablet instead of having pleasant conversation.  Maybe that makes me a Luddite, but I'm ok with that too.

We just updated from iPhone 6s to iPhone 8s as SIL said that Apple would soon stop supporting the "6" with IOS updates.  We do tend to keep our phones a bit longer than most.  Have some friends that do it each time a new iPhone is released.

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Of course you make good points. On the other side I use my smart devices for a multitude of things, least of which is as a phone. I only have a 1 gb cell phone plan that I share with my wife.

I have an Apple watch with cellular. If something should happen to me when I am away from home without my iPhone, my wife could locate me or I could call 911. A good thing, since I had a stroke last year. I also use my Apple watch for a multitude of things like opening/closing the garage door and security door, asking directions, time, weather, workouts, steps, heart rate, etc. I hold my Apple Watch to the device when checking out at the store to pay for the item.

Same with the iPhone. I have a myriad of apps. Just checked into Great Clips for my haircut while writing this. Did a search for number people using smart devices. When I drive someplace I use Carplay connected to my iPhone to navigate.

In April 2019 I was on a TA on the Regal. I plugged my IPhone into the room TV so I could watch Jeopardy on my local TV channel when James Holzhauer was having his run.

I am constantly getting texts and photos of the kids and grandkids on my iPhone. In fact, I have over 10,000 photos on my iPhone, iPads, and Mac since 2011. They are automatically sorted. If I want to see a particular photo, I just type in a word. Can't do that on those albums lying dormant in the bookcase.

Frankly, I don't know what I would do without all my gadgets. When I watch TV on my Apple TV or Fire TV I just say the title of something I would like to watch and there it is. If I want to turn the lights on or off, I just ask Alexa to do it. When I am away from home and someone rings the doorbell I can see who it was on my iPhone. If I forgot to lock the door or turn off the thermostat, i can do that too.

But then that is just me and might explain why I look forward to cruising on a Medallion Class ship.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

We just updated from iPhone 6s to iPhone 8s as SIL said that Apple would soon stop supporting the "6" with IOS updates.  We do tend to keep our phones a bit longer than most.  Have some friends that do it each time a new iPhone is released.

There are three points here.

1. Apple stops supporting devices and/or adds new features that only work on newer devices. This topic is important but outside of this discussion.

2. There are problems related to Medallion Class that possibly do not need latest device / OS but those problems do not appear on new devices, giving the impression that new devices are mandatory.

3. Medallion Class is not introducing ground breaking technology and could / should be written and tested on old devices to ensure  the largest base of users.

The point is, that Princess IT has done a disgraceful job of implementing this new App. The worst aspect is taking down the previous on-line features before making sure the new App works !

I would never have used the App previously, the fact that I could make dinner reservations pre-boarding, would entice me to do so and use smart phone onboard to make changes. Outside of that the phone would be in the safe. Just as 90% of the time it sits unused on my kitchen counter.

• Like 5

Agreed that not everyone has a smartphone or an updated one.  The issue is that it seems Princess is requiring that we use one and therefore this thread and others are here to hopefully determine why some folks are having so much trouble and some aren’t.  And to offer help. Not to discuss the pros and cons of Apple over Android etc. I also don’t understand why some people think you will have to be tied to your phone while on the ship.  You won’t .  The medallion is just a glorified cruise card and can be used as such.  No phone required.  There are very few things on the app that you might want to use onboard but really they aren’t that big of a deal and if needed can be accessed on the screens or stateroom TV.  Once you check in on the app (if it works) then just forget it.  Put your phone in the safe as before.  I carry my phone around on board to take photos not to use an app.  

• Like 1