Flying to cruise with only personal bag

nycruise3

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

When you talk two or so weeks with just a carry-on you may feel some sense of accomplishment - but do you really want to keep putting on used clothes, spend a lot of time doing your laundry, and feeling like the schlub you look like? 

A cruise is meant to be enjoyable -- not an exercise in penny pinching.

I think this makes sense for a cruise where you will basically unpack once. We always check a large bag for a cruise.  I pack until I hit the weight limit or run out of room.  I typically hit the weight allowance first.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

When you talk two or so weeks with just a carry-on you may feel some sense of accomplishment - but do you really want to keep putting on used clothes, spend a lot of time doing your laundry, and feeling like the schlub you look like? 

One bag travel isn’t for everybody. And, yeah, there are folks who get all smug about, it giving one bag travelers a bad name. 

There are many reasons for one bag travel, not just cost. The big one for me is having my stuff with me at all times, never waiting for baggage claim, always being able to hop on a ferry or bus and just go. It often allows me to squeeze in an extra city or drop along the way. Also, minimalist packing is quick and easy packing (after the big learning curve.) As for looking like a schlub - for me that’s going to be the case no matter how much I pack. 

It’s not for everybody. My wife takes great pride in packing everything she could possibly need for every contingency. When we travel together, it works out great as she can use not only her checked bag allowance, but mine as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

It has been my experience in life that no one pays any attention to what strangers wear or what they look like.  Unless that stranger looks like Brad Pitt or Jessica Alba, everyone is pretty much invisible.  Now if you're going to the same bar with the same shirt on everyday with the same bartender serving, then the bartender might notice.

We are folks who pack a lot,  now days we just pay extra, years ago we use to go with at least 2 , 70 lbs 

suite cases, plus two carryon garment bags, plus personal items.   We don't do this to impress anyone else, we do it please ourselves.  Just like you pack light to please yourself I am sure.    We dress up every night, even if we go to the buffet, LOL.  Actually have had unsolicited complements from others in the buffet.  So others do notice, even though it does not matter.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nycruise3 said:

Has anyone flown to a cruise with just the free personal bag airlines allow you to take? And how many days was your cruise?

As an experiment I decided to pack just a personal (underseat) sized bag for my 5-day spring Pacific Coastal cruise. It was NCL so no fancy clothes were necessary. I bought an Amazon Basics underseat rolling bag, described as having a 22-liter capacity. In a test packing I fit in one pair of jeans, three t-shirts, one dress plus lightweight cardigan, sandals, swimsuit, undergarments, and a small selection of toiletries.

Too bad the sail date of that cruise was April 2020.

Our personal best was 10 days for a Mediterranean cruise with just carry ons (and that included our formal attire). 

As far as traveling just with the personal item allowed on Spirit/Frontier, we’ve taken short weekend land based trips using our under seater rollaway luggage so I’m sure we could make a 3-4 night cruise work just with that.

There is no virtue in not checking bags despite the pretentious twerps that smugly declare at every opportunity that they never check. My approach is to assemble what I need/want for the trip and choose luggage accordingly. Sometimes I check, other times I go carry on or even personal item for short trips. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

It has been my experience in life that no one pays any attention to what strangers wear or what they look like.  Unless that stranger looks like Brad Pitt or Jessica Alba, everyone is pretty much invisible.  Now if you're going to the same bar with the same shirt on everyday with the same bartender serving, then the bartender might notice.

I think you misunderstand why some folks like having a wide assortment of clothes.  Many of us dress for ourselves.  For example, in Greece during the summer it is usually very hot.  In fact, the day we are scheduled to embark out of Pireaus the long range forecast is for 100F temps.  Anything I wear in that weather will need to be washed before reuse.  Rather then spend my time or be concerned with constantly washing clothes, we like to have enough to get through several weeks without wasting time doing laundry.   And when it comes to formal nights DW and I have fun and enjoy dressing-up in formal wear.  

I have a good friend who spends months (most years) traveling in Spain and Portugal.  He does it with a single carry-on bag and clothes designed for travel and easy washing.  Every night he washes out his clothes in the bathroom and hangs them to dry.  I think this is fine for some folks, but not my style.  The couple of hours he spends (every day) doing this kind of stuff is time I would prefer to spend in a lounge or at the bar :).

Hank

We did 15 days in the Med with 1 carryon each and 22" roller for each of us and we will do it again as it gives us alot of options for moving around town before and after cruises.

The materials they are using are up to 50 spf and are being fashioned into golf shirts and t-shirts that are perfect for travel and outdoor wear.    The best part is they hand wash with a rinse and the soap you bring for home and you can wear them again the next day.   All you need is 2 or 3 to alternate.    Don't pack the same thing you have been wearing for the last 25 years if you are stuck in that rut.

Shoes are the packing packing challenge for me if I have any chance of downsizing.

Edited by JRG

We travel with one international size carry on each. 8KG. Sometimes 10KG  It has nothing whatsoever to do with baggage fees. This is a silly notion given how much we may spend on travel each year.  For us the bottom line is how much can we each physically handle.

We travel this way for as much as 8-9 weeks at a time, twice a year.  Pre covid.  Independent land trips. We sometimes buy last minute cruises while on our land trips. One of our Australian trips included a 14 day cruise.  We picked up a last minute  21 day cruise soon after disembarking that cruise.   Same for a SA cruise. We built a land trip around the cruise.

We have done this since retiring nine plus years ago.  Prior to that we had a fair amount of business and personal travel.  We always checked suitcases.  Packed too much.  We stopped bothering with formal nights years before that.  

The last thing we wanted was to be in a position where we were struggling with luggage or having to depend on others.  Could be going up a three flights of stairs to a hotel or B&B, small inn , boarding a ferry,  climbing in and out of a longtail boat in Thailand traveling in public vans where space is limited.   Or lifting our bags to board an Italian railway coach and then trying to get them in the overhead storage area.

We dress in layers. We buy our clothes with travel in mind.  Traveling light has increased our enjoyment.  When we return home and unpack we take note of anything that was used infrequently. It gets eliminated or replaced by something else.    The only downside is that DW gets tired after 7 or 8 weeks of her clothes. She wants a change. But not so much that she wants to pack or carry  more.   This is not for everyone but it suits us down to the ground as it were.

I have no doubt that IF we were simply going for home to airport to hotel/ cruise ship we would definitely pack more and check bags just as we used to.  Or, if our pre of post cruise time was spent in one hotel .   But this is not longer our travel routine. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it’s always true that we don’t notice what other people wear. I remember one couple I would always see walking around the ports with the same clothes on at every port. They were a senior couple and he always wore very short shorts, and she wore a very loud pair of capris. And it’s very easy to notice the couple or couples wearing matching tops. Maybe not the same everyday, but always matching their partner or traveling companions. Maybe traveling solo, I am just more observant. I do love to people watch.

I am not a light packer, and never will be, but I have cut down over the years. I’m like Hank, I would rather have choices, and not have to wash every day. But I don’t really care how other people pack. They paid for their cruise and can do what they want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Not at all.  There was a time I did the same.  And we should all do what makes each of us happy, and that will be different things. If one wants to pack a lot then I have no problems about that or would judge it in anyway.

I think you are misreading my post  I'm suggesting that no one is going to judge you because you wear the same clothes everyday.  That no one is really paying attention or cares and that one does not need to feel like they are looking like a slob or whatever.  None of us are important to any of the other cruisers or staff and no one cares what we look like, once again, unless you're totally young and hot, which always draws attention in society.

For what it's worth I will take you back to another era.  About thirty years ago we cruised on the Norway which was the old SS France which had been redesigned for NCL.  At the time we had our young DD and that ship had an amazing deck (International Deck) which had a glassed-in promenade that ran the length of the ship.  That outdoor corridor was lit with hundreds of tiny lights and nearly all the public lounges (many with live entertainment) opened to that deck.  At night, with thousands of folks dressed in their tuxes and gowns (in those days folks really did dress up) it was an amazing site.  Since that time we have spend years on cruise ships (far more then 100 cruises) but that particular evening is still very special in our memory.  

These days we laugh about guys wearing backward baseball caps in the MDRs, others dressing in very bad taste, and others who actually dress to have some fun.  It is all good, but I still have fond memories when everyone dressed up in their finest.  On the down side I remember lugging our garment bag which weighed a ton because of long beaded gowns!   So, as I pack for an upcoming Greek Island cruise my tux is going in the bag as our a couple of real formal ties (which only DW knows how to tie).   To us it is still a lot of fun.  Besides, it is nice being  dressed as well as the waiters...at least once every cruise :).

Hank

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I just have to express our contrarian view.  We pack "heavy" and take more clothes then we can possibly wear.  It has been over 25 years since we did any self-service laundry on a trip although we do send out some laundry/dry cleaning on cruises (we often get some free laundry because of our status).  We are now packing for a 3 week trip to Greece (including a 14 day cruise) and we will work hard at limiting our luggage to two large bags plus two packed carry-ons.  

My heroine was the lady who would book two cabins on Cunard's annual world cruise.  The 2nd cabin was for her clothes!

Hank

I have a PIC somewhere of a Queen Mary Stateroom FILLED to the ceiling with suitcases full of clothes, jewelry for a guest residing in a nearby  Stateroom. 100+. 

1973. Watching 15 Burmese ‘gun-bearers’ marching single-file whilst carrying matching Pink luggage atop their heads in the rain for the madame touriste’ leading the way in a rickshaw. Memorable

It is a complete mystery to me why anyone would care what or how much another fellow traveler packs. Let alone judge them. Why on earth would we even care?  We don't.   Travel trunk or carry on.....who really cares?

Nor do we bother ourselves with what other people wear.   We are not a couple of busybodies whose travel/cruise days are centered around what others wear or don't wear. We have no control over it so why all the fuss about what other choose to do or not do? 

Edited by iancal

It always cracks me up to see the fees people avoid like the plague. Refusing to bring any luggage, limiting parts of their vacation, but will have a $100 bar tab that night.

The type of luggage I bring, depends on the trip. If we're going somewhere for a weekend that includes carry-ons, that's a fairly easy call. If we need to buy check-ins, we will. Sometimes, if the airline offers no included luggage we combine a check-in. It depends on what makes sense vs some "look at me, I pack light!"

I wouldn't dream of going on a cruise with a backpack. You can't carry on liquids. No sunscreen, wine, etc for me. Wasting time searching for these in port while paying higher prices is no win. No snorkel gear if I wanted it. My mask makes it much more enjoyable than the cheap rental crap. I also have no interest in doing laundry on a cruise, nor do I want someone else putting my favorite shirts in the hottest volcano dryers.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, jsglow said:

Folks, the OP isn't talking 'carry-on', he talking the tiny 'personal carry-on' one puts under a seat.  United, for one, now charges for overhead bin space.  My answer..... fly SWA.

There's always this misconception that if you have a bag, SWA is way to go because they don't charge for them. Free isn't always free. When in reality, other airlines might be cheaper with the bag fee, and/or include carry-on.  I've flown multiple times on United with included carry-on. I can not remember the last time Southwest was the cheapest option for me.

22 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Note: Youcan hate on Spirit/Frontier etc. But when they are literally hundreds of dollars cheaper, I can slum it a bit on the flight. 

I don't get the absolute hate people have for these airlines. I fly them almost exclusively and have had virtually no major issues. If people enjoy spending hundreds more to feel like they got a free luggage or bag of pretzels, more power to them.

I've done a carry on suitcase for a week for just me without a problem. But when I'm traveling with my DH we typically check one large bag and may bring a second small carry on. My DH is large so his clothing takes up quite a bit more space than mine. I also typically wear 3 outfits a day (both on a cruise and at home). On a cruise I wear workout gear for my morning workout (can usually get away with just packing 2 of these and washing in sink every day), day outfit (shorts, tank top, swim suit), and usually by evening I'm sweaty enough that I'll change into an evening outfit (pants, nicer tops; generally just pack a couple of these as well and re-wear). But once you add in underwear and shoes, it really is a squeeze to get all of that into a carry on. And I really dislike us bringing two carry on suitcases. Overhead space is a premium anymore that people fight and grumble over. There's not enough space for everyone to bring the max size carry on. Not worth rushing and fighting over for me. And there's always the people that bring on a slightly too big carry on that has to be turned sideways and takes up half the space that is really meant for 4 people. Just don't enjoy fighting for space with those people on my vacation. Especially since we don't fly enough to get priority status and don't get on first. 

Edited by sanger727

Our carry ons are  hardly  backpack size.   They  international size carry on rollers that gets stored in the overhead compartment. 

Many European and Asian regional airlines have different carry on rules (slightly smaller w/weight restrictions) than NA or International carriers.  It is why boarding is so much easier and faster on those carriers.

Edited by iancal

" I'm suggesting that no one is going to judge you because you wear the same clothes everyday."   😮           

Unless your in public or military service probably not. Even then I had to keep my appearance up. It was an unsettling experience for me to be on a lift with a person sporting the same attire for the past three days and smelled like limburger cheese. I would rather have my nipples pieced by a blind man than go thru that again. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, c-boy said:

" I'm suggesting that no one is going to judge you because you wear the same clothes everyday."   😮           

Unless your in public or military service probably not. Even then I had to keep my appearance up. It was an unsettling experience for me to be on a lift with a person sporting the same attire for the past three days and smelled like limburger cheese. I would rather have my nipples pieced by a blind man than go thru that again. 

Not certain if you realize this or not but there are laundry facilities on cruise lines. Many people use those facilities.

The notion that those who travel light wear soiled or odorous clothing is, well, silly.

Are you suggesting that those who cruise on weeks long or months long cruises pack enough clothing to wear once or twice for the entire journey because there are no laundry facilities???

And those that fail to do so will wear dirty clothes for an extended period of time thus offending your sensibilities?

Edited by iancal

On 7/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, nycruise3 said:

Has anyone flown to a cruise with just the free personal bag airlines allow you to take? And how many days was your cruise?

A guy who I worked with years ago never carried clothing on a cruise.In the first port he would buy a cheap suitcase ,underwear and shirts and pants for the cruise and either take some things home in the suitcase or dump everything except the clothes he came on with.He only took summer cruises leaving from Manhattan or Bayonne.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

A guy who I worked with years ago never carried clothing on a cruise.In the first port he would buy a cheap suitcase ,underwear and shirts and pants for the cruise and either take some things home in the suitcase or dump everything except the clothes he came on with.He only took summer cruises leaving from Manhattan or Bayonne.

What bothers me about this is that most cruises from Manhattan or Cape Liberty begin with a sea day, so he would be wearing the same clothes for three days before he could buy anything. And what if the first port of call was someplace like Grand Turk?

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

In these days when unecessary waste is so (rightly) frowned upon, this just seems wrong on so many counts.

• Like 1

14 day cruise with just a personal bag. I only pack shorts, t-shirts, a few pairs of socks and underwear. I'll buy my toiletries at the dollar store when I get off the plane. 

On the plane I wear my one pair of pants and a sweatshirt. I don't eat in the dining room so one pair of pants is enough.

Going on another 14 day this fall. Again, personal bag is all I'm bringing.

Edited by kilkoyne

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can fit 14 days of clothing into one personal bag. Shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits, underwear, and a few pairs of socks does not require anything larger.

A cruise is meant to be enjoyable -- not an exercise in hoarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kilkoyne said:

A cruise is meant to be enjoyable -- not an exercise in hoarding.

If all of your clothes are reversible,  then you can carry twice as much too

different colored zip-offs add more permutations and don't forget to accessorize!

Never did it but it could be done

Edited by JRG