Live from the Majestic Princess at last! August 1 2021 to Alaska

pkt1976

After following every post on the July 25 th live thread, woo hoo! It’s my turn! I’m flying to Seattle tomorrow afternoon. I’ve visited Seattle, it has a lot to offer but work pays for cruises, so just any overnight this time. 

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to post Information and updates. I hope you all had an amazing time. 

I’ll write in purple so it’s easy to find my updates 😁

Like many others, I have several cancellations under my belt, including 2 attempts at Alaska, and I can not wait for some time at  sea. Alaska is an amazing place, and This is my third cruise to Alaska. My first Princess cruise was on the Sea Princess in 2012. the link to that review is in my signature. The Majestic is of course a very different ship. While this class of ship is not my first choice for Alaska, I get to go so I’m happy. 

This cruise will be very different than those in the past with all the changes in events they are not doing. I’ll take that as an opportunity to do things I haven’t or have rarely done. A good attitude is a good way to start a trip I believe. I’m sure I’ll miss things I enjoyed in the past, but a day at sea beats a day at work. 

I do have excursions booked I’m very excited about. I had cancer In2009 and was considerably restricted In what I could physically do in 2012. I still had an amazing time and will talk about past excursions on the days In those ports. There are so many options.  I do still have  restrictions but will be able to do two excursions i couldn’t then. This will be my third attempt to go on the Kroschel Studios excursion and I will be bouncing around like a sugared up toddler for sure ! Pleeeease let me go 😂

I did not get Princess plus. I’m elite and will trade out my minibar for 2 coffee packages ( so 30 specialty coffees/teas and unlimited regular coffee, tea, and hot chocolate) i just don’t drink much and I’ll maybe have one alcoholic drink a day and I get 1/2 off on WiFi, so for me, it’s not worth it. I will get a mango margarita and a dirty banana, my two favorite drinks, somewhere along the way. I may even go to the elite lounge 😂I think I’ve gone once, ever. I may also take a 6 pack of canned soda onboard as you are allowed to. I’m trying to drink less soda so maybe not. 

I stalked the menus and am excited to see some new dishes on the dining room menus. Princess is like home now as I know where I’m going onboard and what to expect, so it’s exciting to see something new. The Majestic is also a bit different than the Royal and Regal so I’m excited to check out the Hollywood Conservatory and will make use of the pool there.I do wish they had kept the Gong Cha cafe as I wanted to try the milk tea and mango smoothie, but there’s plenty of other drinks to enjoy. Oh and I will be visiting my friend Alfredo of course for his amazing pizza and pastas 😍

I’m going to stop by the Enclave to see what the price and rules are. I read on the May 25 thread that it was I think $179 for the week and you only get two hours a day, which you have to schedule. If that’s the case, I will skip it this time. During normal times, I’ve very much enjoyed my time in the Enclave. 

I’m traveling solo, which I’ve done many times. Due to the uncertainty with dining, I went ahead and booked a table for dinner each night for my epic party of one 🎉 , I’m in two dining rooms and have different times booked based on the port times etc. If they do the Sur La Mer brunch on a sea day, I’ll likely do that as well. A small group of us agreed to meet for afternoon tea the first sea day, something to look forward to! Our roll calls here and the ..other place 😉 are pretty small,  no official meet and greet set up. 

I’ve stayed in touch with 3 of the lovely crew members on board from previous cruises and can’t wait to see them again. I’m so excited for them, they are back at sea doing jobs they love. You may have experienced Zumba or dance classes with the one, the only, Nat from Brazil. If you did, you will never forget him and will darn sure be smiling while dancing😂 He’s changed positions so no Zumba with Nat this time 😭. I’m so happy for him and wish him the best in his new path. Duke Christopher is one of my favorite CDs and I could legit listen to him talk all day 🥰😆he’s been promoted to ED now so l suppose I’ll see less of him this time as well. Miss Rachel from Canada who is addicted to Puns is also onboard and is an ACD. I met her when she was on her first contract and she’s so funny and such a sweet person. I made sure to tell her I will “sea” her soon 😉.  I’m so excited to see them all. I’ve also been watching the videos Captain Dino Sagani has been posting and I’m looking forward to meeting him, his videos make me laugh and I know I’ll enjoy his vibrant and fun personality. 

It will be a different experience, but it will be fun and amazing and an opportunity to explore and enjoy a beautiful place. Alaska has so much to offer, it’s just beautiful! I look forward to another opportunity to see the glaciers, hear the calving, watch the wildlife, wander the towns, and so much more. 

To be continued...😘

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

I'm sailing on the Majestic in three weeks (and two days). I'm also sailing solo, so I'll be interested in how the dining works out for you. I had one of the medallion reps reserve a fixed time for my dining, but I will probably try to change once on the ship. On my last Alaskan solo cruise (in 2019), I ended up eating alone for two out of five nights because my tablemates did not show up. The other two nights were open seating due to late time in ports. If I had known ahead of time, I would have brought something to read. 

• Like 3

love the idea of using text colors to indicate responses from those on board, so I’ll pick blue!  Thanks for starting the thread. 

Unlike you, this is only our 2nd Princess cruise but we are Diamond/Elite status on Royal Caribbean. So it will be interesting to compare the experience. We usually cruise with a group of friends with teenagers so the Royal ships with rock climbing, surfing, etc are more their speed. My partner and I are more excited about enjoying the balcony, seeing shows, and reading as many books as possible. 😉

We fly out tonight and are a little nervous about vacationing during the pandemic, so hope the Covid protocols are followed. We picked this cruise because it would be 💯 vaccinated and no kids. Felt safer a few months ago… but now, who knows! She gets tested each week at work, so we feel confident we aren’t bringing it with us. But I’d feel better if Princess was testing or requiring tests, even if vaccinated. 

We have never been to Alaska, so this will all be new new new for us!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bflysmile said:

love the idea of using text colors to indicate responses from those on board, so I’ll pick blue!  Thanks for starting the thread. 

Unlike you, this is only our 2nd Princess cruise but we are Diamond/Elite status on Royal Caribbean. So it will be interesting to compare the experience. We usually cruise with a group of friends with teenagers so the Royal ships with rock climbing, surfing, etc are more their speed. My partner and I are more excited about enjoying the balcony, seeing shows, and reading as many books as possible. 😉

We fly out tonight and are a little nervous about vacationing during the pandemic, so hope the Covid protocols are followed. We picked this cruise because it would be 💯 vaccinated and no kids. Felt safer a few months ago… but now, who knows! She gets tested each week at work, so we feel confident we aren’t bringing it with us. But I’d feel better if Princess was testing or requiring tests, even if vaccinated. 

We have never been to Alaska, so this will all be new new new for us!

Yay, thanks for posting your experiences too! Alaska is amazing, I really could go over and over I love it so much. Safe travels! I fly out this afternoon but just a nice short 2 hour flight. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phabric said:

I will be following along.

I am interested if anybody orders food from the MedallionClass App.  What the menu is?

I’m curious too, will plan to post 

12 hours ago, pkt1976 said:

After following every post on the July 25 th live thread, woo hoo! It’s my turn! I’m flying to Seattle tomorrow afternoon. I’ve visited Seattle, it has a lot to offer but work pays for cruises, so just any overnight this time. 

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to post Information and updates. I hope you all had an amazing time. 

I’ll write in purple so it’s easy to find my updates 😁

Like many others, I have several cancellations under my belt, including 2 attempts at Alaska, and I can not wait for some time at  sea. Alaska is an amazing place, and This is my third cruise to Alaska. My first Princess cruise was on the Sea Princess in 2012. the link to that review is in my signature. The Majestic is of course a very different ship. While this class of ship is not my first choice for Alaska, I get to go so I’m happy. 

This cruise will be very different than those in the past with all the changes in events they are not doing. I’ll take that as an opportunity to do things I haven’t or have rarely done. A good attitude is a good way to start a trip I believe. I’m sure I’ll miss things I enjoyed in the past, but a day at sea beats a day at work. 

I do have excursions booked I’m very excited about. I had cancer In2009 and was considerably restricted In what I could physically do in 2012. I still had an amazing time and will talk about past excursions on the days In those ports. There are so many options.  I do still have  restrictions but will be able to do two excursions i couldn’t then. This will be my third attempt to go on the Kroschel Studios excursion and I will be bouncing around like a sugared up toddler for sure ! Pleeeease let me go 😂

I did not get Princess plus. I’m elite and will trade out my minibar for 2 coffee packages ( so 30 specialty coffees/teas and unlimited regular coffee, tea, and hot chocolate) i just don’t drink much and I’ll maybe have one alcoholic drink a day and I get 1/2 off on WiFi, so for me, it’s not worth it. I will get a mango margarita and a dirty banana, my two favorite drinks, somewhere along the way. I may even go to the elite lounge 😂I think I’ve gone once, ever. I may also take a 6 pack of canned soda onboard as you are allowed to. I’m trying to drink less soda so maybe not. 

I stalked the menus and am excited to see some new dishes on the dining room menus. Princess is like home now as I know where I’m going onboard and what to expect, so it’s exciting to see something new. The Majestic is also a bit different than the Royal and Regal so I’m excited to check out the Hollywood Conservatory and will make use of the pool there.I do wish they had kept the Gong Cha cafe as I wanted to try the milk tea and mango smoothie, but there’s plenty of other drinks to enjoy. Oh and I will be visiting my friend Alfredo of course for his amazing pizza and pastas 😍

I’m going to stop by the Enclave to see what the price and rules are. I read on the May 25 thread that it was I think $179 for the week and you only get two hours a day, which you have to schedule. If that’s the case, I will skip it this time. During normal times, I’ve very much enjoyed my time in the Enclave. 

I’m traveling solo, which I’ve done many times. Due to the uncertainty with dining, I went ahead and booked a table for dinner each night for my epic party of one 🎉 , I’m in two dining rooms and have different times booked based on the port times etc. If they do the Sur La Mer brunch on a sea day, I’ll likely do that as well. A small group of us agreed to meet for afternoon tea the first sea day, something to look forward to! Our roll calls here and the ..other place 😉 are pretty small,  no official meet and greet set up. 

I’ve stayed in touch with 3 of the lovely crew members on board from previous cruises and can’t wait to see them again. I’m so excited for them, they are back at sea doing jobs they love. You may have experienced Zumba or dance classes with the one, the only, Nat from Brazil. If you did, you will never forget him and will darn sure be smiling while dancing😂 He’s changed positions so no Zumba with Nat this time 😭. I’m so happy for him and wish him the best in his new path. Duke Christopher is one of my favorite CDs and I could legit listen to him talk all day 🥰😆he’s been promoted to ED now so l suppose I’ll see less of him this time as well. Miss Rachel from Canada who is addicted to Puns is also onboard and is an ACD. I met her when she was on her first contract and she’s so funny and such a sweet person. I made sure to tell her I will “sea” her soon 😉.  I’m so excited to see them all. I’ve also been watching the videos Captain Dino Sagani has been posting and I’m looking forward to meeting him, his videos make me laugh and I know I’ll enjoy his vibrant and fun personality. 

It will be a different experience, but it will be fun and amazing and an opportunity to explore and enjoy a beautiful place. Alaska has so much to offer, it’s just beautiful! I look forward to another opportunity to see the glaciers, hear the calving, watch the wildlife, wander the towns, and so much more. 

To be continued...😘

I am so excited there will be a great Zumba instructor. That is one of my favorite activities. When we went on the Grand we had a great lady named Veronica. I loved her. I hope Nat will still be on when we go on in October for our 3 day on the Majestic and December on our 7 day on the Majestic. I just hope we don’t get shut down again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

I am so excited there will be a great Zumba instructor. That is one of my favorite activities. When we went on the Grand we had a great lady named Veronica. I loved her. I hope Nat will still be on when we go on in October for our 3 day on the Majestic and December on our 7 day on the Majestic. I just hope we don’t get shut down again.

Nat is not teaching this cruise 😞, he’s onto other duties in a new position. I’m sure there will be a great teacher though. 

Looking forward to following your journey! We sail on August 29th. TIA for your posts onboard so we can follow along and learn something. I really enjoyed following the July 25th live reports so it’s great you are continuing to provide reports for the next cruise. Very interested to hear if the capacity is still 60% or something higher.

Bon Voyage!!! 🛳️🍾🥂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

Since you are not Princess Plus,  have you bought the wi-fi package pre-cruise?  If so what was the price.  If pre-cruise purchase how did you buy it?  Have to call or is there a way to do it on line?

Thank you,

Henry

Hi, yes I did. I called and paid for it. There was no way to do it online for this sailing. It’s 9.99 a day for one device at a time, then I should get 50% of that back as onboard credit. I also booked Princess excursions so will get 10% credits on those as obc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Can’t wait to follow along on your sailing!  

Love the idea of the different color posts so we can know which posts are from those on board.  

Bon Voyage!

The different colors are quite pretty, but sadly for some of us the black is so much easier on the eyes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@pkt1976 Thanks for starting the thread.  We will be with you on this second sailing.  I know @Jeter02is supposed to be along as well.  Will try to post as time permits.  I strongly suggest anyone interested in these first few cruises read the ENTIRE first LIVE thread.  MANY questions answered...we don't want to do a repeat of the first thread.  IF something changes from what was experienced on the first cruise we will try to point that out.  But get comfortable!  It is over 50 pages long right now!

• Like 6

Since the first cruise was atypical in regard to the boarding process please let us know how this boarding goes. I am particularly interested in verifying the news from the meeting with Jan where it was stated that Elite cruisers will have a boarding lounge so if they are early for their boarding time they won't have to wait outside.

Many thanks for taking time out of your cruise for this. Hopefully we won't have all the off topic issues that plagued the earlier Live thread.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1